Focus on Range

OSTCarmine

I was thinking recently about the differences in play range usually seen in DOA. For the most part there are only Close and Mid range fighters, and this is mainly due to the game's overall design. Nothing wrong with that.

I will be comparing three characters for this discussion - Jann Lee and Lei Fang [They will be abbreviated as J and L]

Most of J's strings end in a powerful knock-away. Most of L's do not. This may seem inconsequential, but it reinforces the play style of both characters. From an aesthetic POV L will focus much more on close range play. This is reinforced when looking at the kind of Throws and Holds that she uses. Most of them knock the opponent down, not away. Added to this, most of her mid-ranged moves are fairly slow and easily spotted. This keeps her general game quite "close quarters", and this trend follows through with almost her entire movelist.

J on the other hand is more centered towards ranged play. He gets a lot of damage off of walls and has fair range for a wide variety of his moves. His low sweep, for example, is crazy long ranged and quick. His Throws and Holds are a bit of a mixed bag though. He gets all kinds of range on those things.

This brings me to my question : Should characters be more aesthetically focused on range? Would J be a BETTER character if more of his overall movelist [includes Attacks, Holds and Throws] was centered around his ranged attributes?
The flipside of that coin is : Would L be better if she had a wider variety of options in terms of range? One of the moves I am planning to suggest to TN for their competition is a type of flying shoulder tackle, similar to the one she already uses, but with more range. It should look a bit like Li Xiangfei's [KOF 2k1] "Dai Tetsujin". Do you guys think she needs something like that?

Allan Paris

You made a thread to ask a simple question but you tried to make it complex. So, I will sum all this up for you. . . . .

Make a move that you like and submit it.

Rikuto

P-P-P-P-P-P-POWER!
The game was already more focused on range back during 3.1 and 2.

in doa 4 they fucked up the hitboxes, so ranged properties were lost.

As for characters being focused on range, there is ayane.

As for your move, submit whatever you think is cool. How they end up implementing it is anyones guess...

OSTCarmine

You made a thread to ask a simple question but you tried to make it complex. So, I will sum all this up for you. . . . .

Make a move that you like and submit it.
The move submission was just used as an example. It pertains to my overall question but its not really the point. Sorry if the whole thing was a bit confusing, I found it hard to get my point across well so I decided to use a simple example.

The game was already more focused on range back during 3.1 and 2.

in doa 4 they fucked up the hitboxes, so ranged properties were lost.

This is more or less what I was talking about. Those range and hitbox properties are important to any player, it determines your approach to any particular matchup as you have to keep in mind what your optimum range is compared to your opponent. The purpose of this thread was to figure out If that is an aspect of the game that has improved or degraded. I am also trying to figure out if it would be better for certain characters to focus more on a particular range of play, or whether they should be more versatile. It's something I wanna bring up in the Ask TN thread, but I need a bit of background on it first, hence this thread

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD