Free canceling

Rapham0n

I need some advice on this because for the life of me I can't seem to get free canceling to work at all. I've seen youtube videos on how it's done but for some reason I just can't do it. Any help on this would be much appreciated.

Tenren

practice is the best advice I can give.
Really were are you having issues with it? Middle of a juggles or just any sting combos? If it is a juggle then practice the combo/juggle with out the launcher. Till the combo feels natural to you. You can also try getting use to hitting :P:,:P: ,:F: then what ever you want to mix up with.

Brute

Standard Donor
Honestly, for me it's easier to simply hit the new buttons after the window to continue the previous string has expired. Obviously the efficiency of that varies by character, but since Ryu doesn't have very delayable strings anyway (and God knows I'm using to the timing and feel of all his moves by now), I'm able to simply hit the new input when available, without screwing up the combo (even in light of slow escaping).

Rapham0n

Honestly, for me it's easier to simply hit the new buttons after the window to continue the previous string has expired. Obviously the efficiency of that varies by character, but since Ryu doesn't have very delayable strings anyway (and God knows I'm using to the timing and feel of all his moves by now), I'm able to simply hit the new input when available, without screwing up the combo (even in light of slow escaping).

I agree. I just wait for the correct time to input my next moves and so far that works for me. IDK, free canceling just seems like something for people that have really bad timing when it comes to inputting moves.

Brute

Standard Donor
I agree. I just wait for the correct time to input my next moves and so far that works for me. IDK, free canceling just seems like something for people that have really bad timing when it comes to inputting moves.
Well, technically it's safer as it ensures that the next move is buffered and executes at the earliest possible frame.

For Ryu that's just not much of an issue because the recovery frames are long and the windows to continue his strings are short.

Chapstick

It makes for good strategy in some cases. For example with Tina's :7: :P: :P: :P: you can free cancel right after the second (or first) punch and if your opponent tries a mid hold assuming you'll finish it, you can smack them right in the face with a plain :P: string. Tina's got a lot of delayable combos so it's better to free cancel with her rather than wait for the window to close in some cases.

EPIC INTENSITY2

Yeah im fairly new to free canceling. Ive been using the same strategy as you. I just wait for the string to end and still get the next string out or hit out. (For example Kokoro's 9P jabs without making the string come out and still doing the jabs without free canceling during the air combo). So basically I know the timing of my characters as well. However, I recently picked up Helena. It is absolutely IMPOSSIBLE to play her the way she is supposed to be played without free canceling almost every other move. It has really helped my game play out because I could never free cancel. This is also true with Pai's neutral jabs. They come out much faster when free canceling. So in some cases it is necessary to free cancel.

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
Yes, it is possible to just never do free/H cancelling. However, you run the risk of being a frame or five late on the followup. That frame difference could mean a dropped juggle or combo.

Bushido

Well I know for me, when I play Kokoro and do however many 9Ps, I roll my thumb from P to H. Other than that it takes quick fingers and practice.

Bushido

I think he means you can do 4 9P's on a character Gen Fu's weight in a row before he hits the ground

I could get 4 out on Gen Fu but 5 out on Eliot
Yeah that's what I meant, should've clarified lol not too viable, but it's so cool :cool:

deathofaninja

Premium Donor
News Team
Practice FC with Pai and Akira, because they have some really easy ones to do whilst in air:

Launch > P or 6P, FC > Repeat until opponent hits the floor.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD