Free Stepping/dodging

virtuaPAI

I am the reason why you are here!!!
Staff member
Administrator
There are different types of stepping in dead or alive 4, Some of them are your standard types of evades, while others are more unique. Here is a listing of all the prominent evades in the game:

True Side Step- These are Side stepping attacks that break an attack's tracking allowing you to Step to your opponents side/back.

Gen Fu

:8:8:p
:2:2:p

Kokoro

Jann Lee

:8:8:k
:2:2:k

Brad Wong

Hitomi

Hayate

:8:8:k
:2:2:k

Side Step - These are SS that do not break an attack's tracking, however, are evasive enough to avoid particular attacks in the game.

Zack

:2:P:+:K :~:8
:2:P:+:K :~:2
:2:P:+:K :~:8:~:P
:2:P:+:K :~:2:~:p
:2:P:+:K :~:8:~:K
:2:P:+:K :~:2:~:K

Helena

:2:P:+:K :~:8:F
:2:P:+:K:~:2:F
:2:P:+:K:~:2:2

Bayman

:8:P:+:K
:2:P:+:K

Christie

:2:P:+:K:~:8
:2:P:+:K:~:2
:3:P:+:K:~:8
:3:P:+:K:~:2

Other Evasive Maneuvers- These are special back flips, spins, teleports..etc, used to evade attacks.

:Kasumi

:7:P
:9:P
:7:K

Hayabusa

:7:p
:4:P:+:K:~:8:8
:4:P:+:K:~:2:2

Brad Wong

:4:P:8
:4:P:2

La Mariposa

Ayane

:1:1:3
:1:1 While BT

Hayate

:8:P:+:K
:7:P:6
:236:F

Tengu

Tina

:4:P:+:K:F
:8:8:K
:2:2:K

virtuaPAI

Staff member
Administrator
The Art Of Stepping

-Stepping in the doa series has always been a secondary maneuver as opposed to Stepping in other fighters. However, this has not stopped anyone from Using Doa's stepping feature. Unlike most 3d fighters, Doa have two different types of stepping(1st introduced in doa3).

Offensive Stepping:

-This is the use of Free step to walk around the environment, to avoid environmental hazards, or to position your opponent into an environmental hazard. The other use of Offensive step, Is to FS/SS to your opponent's back while he/she is stunned, or when an opponent holds.

EX: Leon Does :P:+:K, than FS to his opponents back.

Defensive stepping:

-This is the use of SS/FS to evade an opponents attack, which will give you a certain amount of frame advantage depending on the attack evaded. With FS, you can only evade attacks that are either Lunging or Jumping. To determine the amount of frame advantage, you need to subtract the amount of frames it takes to FS, from an attack's duration.

EX: Attack duration (11/2/27) - 11 frame FS -
40 - 11 = 29
29 Frame advantage

With Side stepping attacks, for the most part you do not get any frame advantage, but a guaranteed evasion + Hit. Certain characters Like Kokoro and Jann Lee can both step your attack, Get guaranteed counter attack damage + Frame advantage( from stun).

Free Step + Side Step Attack:

-Both SS and FS share the same movement engine. This makes it quite easy to Free step, than buffer in a SS.

EX: :8 ~:8:P with Kokoro

Doing this will give your SS more range for evasion, and your opponent will strike where you FS, making evading with SS slightly easier.

Unique Stepping properties:

There are characters who have evasive moves that can be combined with FS to essentially turn it into a SS attack. One of these characters is Lei Fang. tapping :8/:2 Than Buffering :214:P will allow you to evade a good assortment of attacks.

Get Lucky

i have a ? for u and any1 else here that may have some insight on the matter.

but an explanation is due first. zacks 236p wen combined with a crouch dash will avoid lunging moves and hit ur oponent in the back (u may have to b in open stance cant remember corectly and no game to do a quick test). test it to c wat i meen ( a simple 1 would b against a dragon kick. i usually dash forward with 236236236236236236 then hit p right b4 the move becomes active. he will wrap around leee and hit him in the back.) against crushing lunging moves (ex. hayabusa's 66k) he'll swing around to there back and wiff. now the crouch dash could not b important cause wen in open stance and u use this move while ur oponent is in a stagger stun u'll hit them in the back (ex. 66p,236p). thats just how ive always done it and nev took the time to properly test it all. but this moves evasive properties seem odd wen compared to other evasive moves to me.

now my question is does any other charater have a move with similar properties? i ask this because ive never seen any1 else do aything similar to this. now the move obviously has evasive propertys but not like a normal ss attack or even fangs 214p that u mentioned earlier. is this move unique or am i missing something. i know it could just b as simple as it has slight ss properrties and more in open stance then in closed but it just seems odd to me and would like a second opin on the matter.

o and yay me for finaly signing up to ur guys site :D nice breakdown btw :)

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
Can you provide a description on what his :2:3:6:p move is? I'm unfamiliar with Zack and don't know his inputs. I might if you provide a description or a match video at the right time.

Sorry, I mainly know DOA3.1 where his sidestep attack was :2:2/:8:8:p which was a liver blow.

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
Hmmm, I didn't play DOA4 that much so maybe HuBBs would better understand that move. But I think it's a high crush and your crouch dash goes under the lunge attack allowing you to avoid the hitbox as it passes.

Get Lucky

no its not a high crush. u'd have to c it is y i said try it real quick. i doubt hubbs will b able to give me any insight on it tbh maybe vpai will b able to if he cs this.

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
Are you sure you aren't crouch dashing as a high attack like Jann Lee's :2:3:6:k is passing, and by doing :2:3:6:p the move happens to travel under JL and hit him from behind due to position switching?

Get Lucky

nah thats wat i originaly thought wen i first did it that i was simply crouching it then using the tracking to hit him. but it works on mid moves to like lisa's 236p. i need a new game lol

virtuaPAI

Staff member
Administrator
Zack's :236:P is stance specific, and it do evade most lunging attacks. Those attacks that have priority will simply beat out Zack's attack(many of Gen Fu's lunging attacks). When Zack is successful, He will get a counter blow, otherwise the attack will get beaten out. :236:P do not work after he recover from hit stun, but will work when it is done during said lunging attack. Also, you do not need to crouch dash to evade, just need not to do it after hit stun.

Perfect Legend

Hey VP (I know this isn't accurate but I saw you just posted a hour ago hopefully you are still on)

But do you know the frames for Hi Counter, Counter and Normal hold

Hi Counter is what 1-4? Counter is 5-?????

virtuaPAI

Staff member
Administrator
Hey VP (I know this isn't accurate but I saw you just posted a hour ago hopefully you are still on)

But do you know the frames for Hi Counter, Counter and Normal hold

Hi Counter is what 1-4? Counter is 5-?????

* Frames 13-22 = 100% revision
* Frames 6-12 =125% revision(Counter hold)
* Frames 2-5 =150% revision (High-Counter hold)

It actually takes 1 frame for execution before you can use a DH(it's actually a 21 frame window). That is why we often here someone say that they held at the right hit level(and you hear the character make the hold grunt) yet nothing comes out.

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
I can attest to VP's findings as I just verified the same frames on DOA4's mid punch and mid kick holds. My method of testing was recording in sparring mode and going frame by frame. I don't know where he got the data from but I believe it was while testing stun advantage with various characters. right?

virtuaPAI

Staff member
Administrator
I can attest to VP's findings as I just verified the same frames on DOA4's mid punch and mid kick holds. My method of testing was recording in sparring mode and going frame by frame. I don't know where he got the data from but I believe it was while testing stun advantage with various characters. right?

I did the test back in the Doa3 days with frame advantage off of block. I just recently(doa4 era) adjusted each DH modifier by 1 frame due to the fact that it takes 1 execution frame to activate...which the frame data do not tell you.

Get Lucky

thx man :D wat do u meen by beat it with priority? Do any of the other characters have a similar move in how that works?

so 2 for a counter to become active wow always thought 1

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
No, sorry, you misread.

When performing a hold it takes 1 frame until the hold hitbox appears, not 2. The frame data would be: 1(22)7 for highs and mids, and 1(22)5 for lows. Lows may be 1(22)4 but I'm not sure and can't check right now.

As for priority, if two attacks collide at the same time, the one with the most damage will win. If both output the same damage, then both characters are hit.

virtuaPAI

Staff member
Administrator
No, sorry, you misread.

When performing a hold it takes 1 frame until the hold hitbox appears, not 2. The frame data would be: 1(22)7 for highs and mids, and 1(22)5 for lows. Lows may be 1(22)4 but I'm not sure and can't check right now.

As for priority, if two attacks collide at the same time, the one with the most damage will win. If both output the same damage, then both characters are hit.

I believe it is 1/21/8 for highs/mids and 1/21/5 for lows

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD