FSD Interview: Touching Base with Master

No doubt it has been some time since we last had a one-on-one discussion with our Team NINJA CM, Master and now with the release of Wo Long: Fallen Dynasty the busy Super NINJA has finally been allowed some space and room to breathe before engaging with the next series of Team NINJA project(s) including Wo Long: Fallen Dynasty DLC and Rise of the Rōnin. We're very lucky to have him as a CM because he's not strictly business with the community and truly puts on a spectacle with each Team NINJA project showing complete loyalty and passion for the Team NINJA brand.

Before becoming the Team NINJA CM, Master was a G4 television star, Dead or Alive 4 2008 World Champion, a 2013 Guiness World Record Setter and also had the most complete and successful Ryu Hayabusa in all variants of Dead or Alive 5. Now that he can no longer compete in Dead or Alive, he is setting records with Team NINJA's magnum opus NINJA GAIDEN: Black. You're encouraged to walk the way of a real Super NINJA by following him at his regular
Twitch Stream.

DOAN: Hello, Master! Can you illustrate to us how a day of working for Team NINJA as the community manager works?

MASTER: What's up DOAN/FSD! I am Emmanuel “MASTER” Rodriguez, former DOA pro and currently the Community Manager (CM) for Team NINJA Studio. When working, I usually have a bunch of tasks to look at or do but my primary task is to engage the community through social media, see what the response is to our games or franchises and report any major concerns that people are talking about. I try to be that bridge between community and developers.

Additionally, I sometimes assist with various other things like interviews, game break downs, esports topics or on occasion capturing for media or promotional trailers.

When you heard about Wo Long: Fallen Dynasty's success just when it comes to sheer Steam numbers alone what was the reaction from the team. More specifically, what was your reaction? It's quite a feat to double Nioh 2's all-time numbers on launch day. Wo Long: Fallen Dynasty is looking to be one of Team NINJA's most successful games of all time in this modern day of how things now work in the industry.

I’m always thankful to be a part of any project the team puts together and happy to see their work create great experiences for players around the world. This is actually my 4th project with the team and I’m happy to see the amazing response behind Wo Long: Fallen Dynasty.

Do you miss the spotlight? How have you dealt with no longer being a competitor as an esports gamer that's competed on television and big streams. I imagine there must have been some type of a transition.

Haha! The spotlight as a competitor is something I do miss from time to time, but I also understand this was a necessary transition for me. I’ve been in the esports battlegrounds long enough to know that it can be a difficult transition from top competitor to your next career move. Even if it were an option, it is unrealistic, at this point of my life, to try to juggle both and would be a disservice to the communities.

I believe it's important to keep focus on our players that enjoy Team NINJA's games and help their voices be heard when possible. I am redirecting my spotlight back to the community because they deserve it. They’re the reason I am here in the first place.

Does Team NINJA have any plans to work with Microsoft again on Game Pass in the future? What's your thoughts on this platform, and has it helped Team NINJA reach a new audience of players?

The head of the studio is probably better equipped to answer such a question, but I am, personally, happy that there was a new title that the team could create for nearly all platforms. With Wo Long being on Game Pass, I am sure many tried it out and refreshed their memories of the Team NINJA brand and that’s always good to see.

What is something that would surprise the community about you? Something none of us in the community would know.

Haha! That’s good question. Here’s something people may not know. A lot of what I do is mostly self-taught. Rather it be editing, streaming, compiling data for the team, a good chunk of that was learned on my own through video/reading or through real life experiences.

I initially went to college for computer engineering, but soon after was given an opportunity to go to the esports pro leagues. Fast forward to 2023 and here I am now on this crazy ride. I mention this snippet of my life to hopefully encourage others to always continue learning about themselves and what they love to do. Whether it be through an expensive school or having the discipline to learn on their own to become successful.

No matter what path you take, never give up on learning. It’s an investment to yourself.

Well said. When can we expect to hear announcements pertaining to Wo Long's season pass?

All I can say on that is please look forward to the coming months for Wo Long DLC information @WoLongOfficial. I can’t wait myself.

Everyone is talking about the Lu Bu boss fight. Who is your favorite boss in Wo Long, and which boss fight stuck out to you as the most difficult.

I think Lu Bu is a very rewarding fight in New Game+. He really tests your mettle but for me the final boss in the last mission is probably my favorite. I don’t want to spoil it for those that haven’t made it there, but he is a little tricky at first and his ability to deflect you felt more engaging to me than most other fights. I’ll leave it at that.

What's your message to the community pertaining to the future? Do you have a message for the community now?

I hope the community continues to enjoy and support Team NINJA games. We all thank you and look forward to bringing more great Team NINJA experiences in the near future.

Before Wo Long's release you were becoming quite the speed demon in NINJA GAIDEN: Black. What ignited in you to start setting records with NINJA GAIDEN speed running?

That’s a really good question and I’m actually going to tell you something no one knows. So, the first thing to mention here is, before NINJA GAIDEN: Master Collection was even announced, I knew I needed to get my NG skills back in order. The second objective was that I wanted the community of NG to know that someone internally on the team had completed all NGMC games and Xbox NG versions on the hardest difficulties.

Within the NG community there is a certain level of respect for accomplishing that. The last part, which is the actual speed running, is for two reasons. The main reason was to show that I am willing to dedicate myself to the franchise and community to even get a decent time on the speed run boards. I believe there is a level of importance with having someone internally committed and also has comprehensive ability with the products Team NINJA sells in a way that the community will respect or appreciate. The second reason is a bit more personal, and I don’t feel comfortable sharing that at this time. For those that don’t know, Ryu Hayabusa and I go many years back now. When the time is more appropriate, I will share that with everyone.

Thank you everyone for the continuous support all these years and I hope you look forward to the upcoming DLC & Season Pass content for Wo Long: Fallen Dynasty.

Contact & Follow Master: @oMASTERo | @TeamNINJAStudio

Follow Master's Official Projects: @Wo Long: Fallen Dynasty | @Dead or Alive 6 | @Nioh 2 | @NINJA GAIDEN: Master Collection

Last edited:
To say the community is small is one thing, but to say there isn't one at all is just sincere trolling.

It absolutely isn't. What the DOA "community" has are very tiny tribes. And none of them have enough people for any of those groups to thrive, except for Rule 34 DOA. And the playerbase is so fractured that there is no clear consensus on what to do.

It's a rudderless ship.

Do you actually talk to people like this in your day to day life and somehow think its beneficial? Like I feel like I'm trying to get to the root of your what I think is a mental disorder, but there is still a piece to the puzzle I haven't solved.
Confrontational, blunt and to the point? Yes. I might be crude, but I will never not say exactly what's on my mind without filter.

https://www.reddit.com/r/DeadOrAlive/comments/mvm1y1 Oh what's that? 2 years ago? It was commentated by BlankOctober and Rivlistic.

I also had a part in organizing this tournament: https://www.start.gg/tournament/the-seagull-stress-test-redux/details
There was another tournament hosted by DudeGuyJoey that I also helped organize.

If these players' names are not familiar to you, then you've proven my point already. :)

You should have taken it to me, or Master and it would have actually gotten attention. Hence what Master does.

What did you for the Seagull Stress test that someone that you're complaining about didn't do better?

You should have taken it to me, or Master and it would have actually gotten attention. Hence what Master does.
Let me pour in concrete for you just how impotent Master is as a "community manager".

When I helped organize these tournaments, I didn't even know who Master was. The man has zero presence in the community aside from writing occasional Twitter posts and fellating his ego on his streams.

Let me pour in concrete for you just how impotent Master is as a "community manager".

When I helped organize these tournaments, I didn't even know who Master was. The man has zero presence in the community aside from writing occasionally Twitter posts and fellating his ego on his streams.

Dude you're not an organizer. Organizers are based on relationships, and you haven't cultivated any. I don't know ONE organizer that doesn't know Master.

I didn't even know who Master was. The man has zero presence in the community aside from writing occasionally Twitter posts and fellating his ego on his streams.
Exactly. I didn't know who he was either. That's a huge problem.

Heck it wouldn't surprise me if anyone new to DOA heard about MASTER the first time when DOAN made this interview lol.

Exactly. I didn't know who he was either. That's a huge problem.

Heck it wouldn't surprise me if anyone new to DOA heard about MASTER the first time when DOAN made this interview lol.

When a comment is so stupid and inane that you can't respond.

This isn't being "blunt and confrontational."

You give yourself too much credit.

Dude you're not an organizer. Organizers are based on relationships, and you haven't cultivated any. I don't know ONE organizer that doesn't know Master.
You can F right off with that, sir. I've been building relationships with players on Twitch, Steam, and Discord for several years now. Who the HELL are you to tell me I'm not an organizer, or have no relationships with other players?

Here it is folks, the "community" on display. A beacon of elitism and gatekeeping towards newer or smaller players. Just because I haven't been on a cheesy, staged competition back in 2006 means I am not capable of providing value to the community, apparently.

????????????

You think MASTER is some celebrity? lmao

I think Master is a celebrity of course. I think DOA has a great community and I love all of Team NINJA's games.

Within four or five years I think I will be a celebrity as well.

You can F right off with that, sir. I've been building relationships with players on Twitch, Steam, and Discord for several years now. Who the HELL are you to tell me I'm not an organizer, or have no relationships with other players?

Here it is folks, the "community" on display. A beacon of elitism and gatekeeping towards newer or smaller players. Just because I haven't been on a cheesy, staged competition back in 2006 means I am not capable of providing value to the community, apparently.

You're a nobody and Master (the guy you questioned and DON'T even know) could have made your tournament something you rude, stupid prick. If you have a problem with it tough shit. Don't talk about Master poorly and expect a red carpet from me.

You're just a "worthless moron" after all

You both are. Two wrongs don't make a right, but it doesn't make it any less of the truth. FCP attacked Master without knowing who Master was. When you insulted others first, lips were bit for the sake of wars and you get called one nonsensical name and all of a sudden, you're the victim and can't handle it?

Last edited:
Here we are wanting someone to be more involved in the community and you just prove it's not worth it.

Here we are wanting someone to be more involved in the community and you just prove it's not worth it.

Oh now you are a martyr. I don’t care. I’m not lying and I’m being blunt. I’ll play to your delusions. If you want to leave the cog will keep spinning as it always does.

If you want people to not see you as a rude and a redundant bully win them over with kindness and treat people with respect. Speak to them like they are something. Until then expect every satirical response imaginable in return.

You can be confrontational and also be blunt being respectful and kind. Because I am kind to everyone until they fuck with me or “jeer” or bully someone else.

All that considered. I do not take people’s shit and I’m here for Team NINJA and players that want to be showcased competitively.

When you want to play nice with others, I will grant you the same courtesy. You really have to drive me to stoop to your level to make a point?? Is that the only way you can handle things?

Last edited:
Official KT Discord server:

1680397294588.png

1680397309853.png

Can our "community manager" explain why there is no DOA channel?

Official KT Discord server:

View attachment 37849

View attachment 37850

Can our "community manager" explain why there is no DOA channel?

You are more than free to directly message Master on that matter. He responds within an hour, but this is hardly a problem.

There are many ways to interact with DOA.

Unfortunately being confrontational with Koei Tecmo comes with a price and being the person I am can be damaging because I know what it’s like to be mouthy and I can be a prick. We have that in common. But my genuine interest is once again Team NINJA and competitors desiring to be showcased and I will turn quickly on people that challenge that.

I can not sit here and pretend that everything you say in this forum is bs. Some of it is right. But you miss the point on many things brother. You can not win Koei Tecmo over being confrontational towards their associates and ways. Master has done many great things for this community and it was rude to downplay him and anyone else that has been working at keeping things afloat.

There will be another DOA when the time is right and when there is less pollution in the air.

Last edited:
How many alts does Rob have?
You tell me?

The same two ‘new members’ that support you in the ++ thread.

This whole scenario that has unfolded was actually predicted before the interview went up. And not just the scenario but the users that posted as well.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD