Fumihiko Yasuda Basically Confirmed Next Team NINJA Games

We wish everyone a happy New Year here at Free Step Dodge and would like to take a minute to thank the readers and contributors of the longest running Dead or Alive website in the world for continuing to support us with your viewership, donations and thoughtful comments. This past year we delved deep into the inner mind of the Koei Tecmo business model, explored their other games passionately and kept DOA tournaments a major highlight whether it was Dead or Alive 2: Ultimate, Dead or Alive 3 ++, Dead or Alive 5 and of course Dead or Alive 6. At FSD we will continue to entertain, educate and delight you with a razor-sharp community that knows the ins and outs of Team NINJA along with our Indepth front page news articles.

I truly do believe there is every type of Team NINJA player here possible including: veterans such as Rikuto and Ponton that can give you the absolute best gameplay advice, we have active modders posting that can whip up just about anything your heart desires, the blunt historian news hounds that know it all, seasoned tournament players, old school fighters that date back to the Dreamcast days, the person that goes on every date in Venus Vacation, the player that can beat NINJA Gaiden without taking a hit. It is so much fun to have an educated roster of people contributing to FSD!

For some there are lots of reasons to go and lots of reasons to stay; and for those still straddling the fence I think we may be heading back into a positive direction with classic Team NINJA franchises that we all know and love and want to see return. According to president of Team NINJA: Fumihiko Yasuda who spoke out just a few days ago via Famitsu Online; and before we get into this let me make one thing straight right away - fans and veteran players alike did not bite onto this tease at all; and I'm willing to bet some didn't even read what he actually said because that is what years of agonizing anticipation will do to someone.

To those that doubt let me try to persuade you to not be a believer, but maybe have a little faith and we can do this by breaking down what Yasuda said piece by piece:

We have continued to produce titles with historical themes such as the Sengoku and the end of the Edo period, and we have learned a lot from them, but we would like to make 2024 a year in which we take a fresh look at the historic series of Koei Tecmo and Team NINJA.

This comment single-handedly expels and negates the idea of a new Nioh, Nobunaga or Ronin title and suggests that they are moving on from that period of time. This also would disqualify a new Wo Long title since it is not a historic Team NINJA title which would negate Three Kingdoms/Onward into Western Jin Dynasty as well. Also keep in mind that Team NINJA has not announced any type of season pass for the Rise of Ronin. The historic series of Koei Tecmo would have to be a NINJA Gaiden or Dead or Alive title with one historic Koei Tecmo title already in place with Atelier Resleriana. Team NINJA is working on Atelier Resleriana and Dead or Alive Xtreme Venus Vacation as their two gacha titles that will bring in guaranteed money, but do not require full-time operators as the base on how to make the money has been built for years.

Koei Tecmo's stock performance fell -35% for Q4 despite having an outstanding and underrated year and when this type of thing happens, they turn to Dead or Alive for a quick revenue pull. So, my guess is that they are or will be working on NINJA Gaiden and Dead or Alive titles. Based on what Fumihiko Yasuda has said on the record here, it's going to be A LOT harder for him to turn around and say differently when the press challenges him again. What's he going to say? "I didn't say those things" and disappear?

This is Yasuda's chance to do some serious storytelling in his own life. To challenge himself to think and succeed outside of the souls-like genre and to write previous wrongs that haunt him. Not to mention that he still has gameplay engineers on staff from the Dead or Alive franchise.

Last edited:
I’m a passive reader and have only commented on the forum a couple of times but I just wanted to put my two cents into the convo. When it comes to what Yasuda said and the video game landscape right now I feel like it’s rather obvious a new DOA is at the bare minimum being heavily considered if not started to be worked on. The fighting game genre is going through a renaissance and with like what 4 total major 3d fighting games only tekken is relevant at this point in time. Harada even commenting about the fact they miss competition is crazy. For KT NOT to take this opportunity when their revenue is declining would be wild. As far as censorship we really need to get over it, the western market is one of if not the biggest market for most fighters. DOAs survival IF it comes back at this moment would have to find a balance between keeping its identity (including sex appeal) and marketing to the masses. Over sexualizing a game that’s already looked down upon for its sexualization makes an already niche game in a niche genre even niche-er (lol). We have to be honest here if they bring it back they’re going to want to capitalize on the fighting game renaissance and expand its market those who are only worried about pixelized breasts are already being catered to with Venus vacation or can mod the product.

I’m a passive reader and have only commented on the forum a couple of times but I just wanted to put my two cents into the convo. When it comes to what Yasuda said and the video game landscape right now I feel like it’s rather obvious a new DOA is at the bare minimum being heavily considered if not started to be worked on. The fighting game genre is going through a renaissance and with like what 4 total major 3d fighting games only tekken is relevant at this point in time. Harada even commenting about the fact they miss competition is crazy. For KT NOT to take this opportunity when their revenue is declining would be wild. As far as censorship we really need to get over it, the western market is one of if not the biggest market for most fighters. DOAs survival IF it comes back at this moment would have to find a balance between keeping its identity (including sex appeal) and marketing to the masses. Over sexualizing a game that’s already looked down upon for its sexualization makes an already niche game in a niche genre even niche-er (lol). We have to be honest here if they bring it back they’re going to want to capitalize on the fighting game renaissance and expand its market those who are only worried about pixelized breasts are already being catered to with Venus vacation or can mod the product.

And seeing as how DOA6 was I don't think it would be a big deal if it was identical to the sexualization of characters featured in Soul Calibur.

Take some of the budget for e-sports tournament prize pots and put more into the value of the base game. After the tournament scene proves itself like done with DOA5; then launch a sponsored cup in the future iteration. With DOA5 the community worked hard with the base game, got people involved and it was a success for what DOA was with a big payoff for everyone.

With DOA6 the payoff happened at launch with 'DOA6 World Championship' and after COVID and discontinuation of the game, there was no longer a real payoff in comparison and nothing for players to work towards outside of the game they are stuck with.

As far as what game will be announced I will remain optimistic that it's at least NINJA Gaiden due to what Yasuda said and how he said it. I'm done with the backpedaling and think the Team NINJA community deserves some type of transparency involving these teases.

As far as censorship we really need to get over it, the western market is one of if not the biggest market for most fighters.
Instead of getting over censorship (which is something no one should ever accept or get over it), KT/TN should do themselves the favor and create a brand new fighting game like how KT/TN had no problems making original action games like Nioh, Wo Long: Fallen Dynasty, & Rise of the Ronin. The better way to catch their Western Market is make a brand new game made for the Western Market.

DOAs survival IF it comes back at this moment would have to find a balance between keeping its identity (including sex appeal) and marketing to the masses. Over sexualizing a game that’s already looked down upon for its sexualization makes an already niche game in a niche genre even niche-er (lol)
DOAs survival should be based on what made DOA5 & DOAXVV successful from their long year span (DOA5 with 5 Years & DOAXVV 6 Years still going), which attracted millions of players/downloads from their free-to-play versions (DOA5LR with 12 Million Downloads & DOAXVV with 4 Million Players). When it comes to finding balance between keeping its identity (include sex appeal) and marketing to the masses, the only thing that should be solved is what would make KT's Business Models float like $92 Season Passes, or Microtransactions which is something Western Players would've never like these monetization practices but there are Players (like Me for example) would've spent money on their business model just to get what they want, and what would make KT handling of DOA by giving it low budget/resources (which will result missing modes & characters) equal big return. (The answer is DOA's DNA (aka sex appel) should be prioritized to make these business models valuable, DOA doesn't need to market to the masses because it already has millions of players)
People who looked down on DOA for its "sexualization" is a demographic not worth catering to, and their bigger enemy than games content is publishers wanting them to pay more for content.
If game niche, the proper way is give it low budget/resources for its development. While using big budget/resources for games that were meant for worldwide audience.

those who are only worried about pixelized breasts are already being catered to with Venus vacation or can mod the product.
As a long time die-hard fan of DOA who is extremely worried about sex appeal (the reason I enjoy the DOA franchise as a whole), Venus Vacation (that I enjoy the most) isn't going to last forever like any free-to-play games that get shutdown & delisted plus I also care about what happens with DOA fighting game (which is My concern) & modding the product wouldn't solve anything since I need to buy the game anyway. What I want is for My purchases to make a 100% difference that should determine where DOA should go (I would put money where My mouth is), and I don't care how much I had to pay for. I would prefer if a game cost $99 or if 1 costume cost between $149.99 to $665.35, while KT could give developers less budget/resources for their games along with reusing models from previous games with the only missing is Tag Team Mode & Lobby Mode.

PS. Gacha Market is far more valuable than the Western Market itself.

• Star
Reactions: Rob
And seeing as how DOA6 was I don't think it would be a big deal if it was identical to the sexualization of characters featured in Soul Calibur.

Same.

SC6 was hornier than DOA6 and that got a T-rating lmao

Take some of the budget for e-sports tournament prize pots and put more into the value of the base game. After the tournament scene proves itself like done with DOA5; then launch a sponsored cup in the future iteration. With DOA5 the community worked hard with the base game, got people involved and it was a success for what DOA was with a big payoff for everyone.

With DOA6 the payoff happened at launch with 'DOA6 World Championship' and after COVID and discontinuation of the game, there was no longer a real payoff in comparison and nothing for players to work towards outside of the game they are stuck with.
Agreed, especially not siphoning off the budget for a tournament prize pot. I get that was part of the marketing but I'd rather see a better base game with the money.

We have to be honest here if they bring it back they’re going to want to capitalize on the fighting game renaissance and expand its market those who are only worried about pixelized breasts are already being catered to with Venus vacation or can mod the product.
Well, if that Gail Simone tweet is any indication, there's plenty of people (including Joe Rogan) who know DOA well enough beyond jiggle physics. But, yeah, I'd EXPECT a new game to be worked on, just not being released yet. Personally, I think all TN needs to swoop in and get as many partnerships as possible to turn heads and give better material to shitposters like me.

I am unsure how to quote certain parts of your response (I’ll figure it out soon lol) Kasumi-Phase so forgive me. Unfortunately I just disagree with your viewpoint, respectfully. I truly believe you are an outlier though your dedication is amazing haha. Saying that KT should essentially charge such high prices and lowering the budget of the game so that die hard fans who will pay anything will keep the game afloat is more or less what they already tried to do and more or less what killed the franchise. If DOA returns to their main line fighting game it is probably going to be toned down in sexuality, not completely removed but somewhere along the lines of Soul calibur probably. I do the marketing for my current job and I have a base line understanding for how it works, so I know that them coming up with another fighting game is out of the question. It makes no sense from a business standpoint to make a whole other game in the same genre as one of their legacy and established IPs. And as for gacha I can see them implementing that in some way, however with the way the market is in the US especially I doubt it would go over well and it would be a bad decision. Gacha is already a hot topic in the west so I think that would be a gamble (pun intended) not worth taking if you’re going to try and bring back an IP. Basically what I’m saying is when it comes to the fighting game if it comes back I wouldn’t get your hopes up for what you’re wanting because that is a very specific market that would hinder the company from making the money it could potentially make, and honestly I think it would truly truly kill the fighting game IP.

Saying that KT should essentially charge such high prices and lowering the budget of the game so that die hard fans who will pay anything will keep the game afloat is more or less what they already tried to do and more or less what killed the franchise.
Or, at least forced Team Ninja to press the reset button.

But, I think HT could make swimsuits for DOA and it'd be an easier bet than forcing people to pay even more for costumes they either won't use or don't want to pay for without a coupon.

You keep saying toned down to be in line with SC, when SC6 was the horny fighter more so than DOA6 ever was.

Look, DOA has a stigma. The more you tone down the sexuality the larger that backlash is going to be. TN already tried doing it with DOA6 and it was a colossal disaster. They tried to pivot back to fanservice but ended up pissing off everyone. (Although its initial esports focused was only one piece of why DOA6 was a disaster)

You want a game that doesn't focus on sexiness? Make an entirely new IP.

I think personally DOA should just go back to what they were doing in DOA5U to LR where they had the fanservice with the swimsuits and sexy costumes but still also tried to bring back older costumes with the full or near full sets like the cop and Mandarin costumes. But they also should do more than costumes and add more support like stages, better balancing, and more additional stuff like a better story and more interaction and variety.

DOA is always going to be seen as the sexy fighter so I just say at this point as long as the gameplay is good, embrace it since Street Fighter 6 is owning it in their own regard and everyone loves that. I feel the sexiness shouldn't really bother anyone unless you're one of the rare few in the community who complain about even the most miniscule things like erotic photography in DOA, how certain girls like the loli types are sexualized and the boob sizes even tho that's a thing in all of the fighting games nowadays since people get off to just about anything. If MK1's modding scene is any indication, people seem to be fully more accepting to the idea of some sex appeal since the most sought after mods are the more revealing ones for men and women which says alot in 2024.

Sc6 wasn’t that horny there was fan service sure but not the same. I am not saying to take the sex appeal away I haven’t said that and I’ve actually consistently said that it was part of what makes DOA, DOA. What I’m saying is that using that as a marketing tool is not going to help. Make bikini dlc sure Irdgaf but the way shimbori did what he did in the incident was crazy. DOA is a fighting game first everything else is secondary and in order to find mainstream success in this generation you have to try and get into e sports which means more focus on the fighting in the fighting game . I don’t understand what you’re missing. It’s all marketing lol. DOA has a reputation that precedes itself it’s not about turning its back on that it’s about showing that it’s more than that. Keep the sex appeal shift the focus onto the fighting. That’s basically all I’m saying. Tekken, SF and SC all have what DOA has but it’s always been about the fighting first.

SC6 wasn’t that horny. There was fan service, sure, but not the same. I am not saying to take the sex appeal away.
Never said you were going to take anything away, and quite frankly, neither was I. In fact, I mention the HT stuff because it was one of the few no-brainer decisions that I could've seen for a partnership. So, they can be able to act out like the characters would in VV. As for SC, I think they make more money with DLC guest characters (in addition to ones you get right out of the gate), and DOA hasn't been too dependent on VF or other crossover IPs in recent years. That being said, I'm under the impression that either VF is going to get heat from people who never played a VF game before or there'll be those who think it won't be as good as older games.

DOA has a reputation that precedes itself. It’s not about turning its back on that. It’s about showing that it’s more than that.
TBF, I think people just ASSUMED DOA was gonna blow up just because DOA was exclusive to Xbox for 4 years, but I think if anything, we're living in a different world since then. And anyone in Japan (at least on X/Twitter) I talk to or show stuff regarding DOA already lived through, or at the very least, acknowledged that there's no point being a broken record over old news. And while I'm not the biggest fan of DOAN, I at least get the idea that Xbox and DOA aren't mutually exclusive, far from it. But, Game Pass is a drop in the bucket in the grand scheme of things. Not saying you need to have a bunch of big Hollywood celebs and TV interviews from ALL the developers, but something that'll send a message to people who ARE looking for what DOA has to offer. Energy drink and swimsuit promotions (again like HT) ARE going to help either bring back old fans, attract new ones, or even both. Maybe have something in between.

I am unsure how to quote certain parts of your response (I’ll figure it out soon lol)
The way to quote someone is to hit "Reply Button on the comment that you want to reply to which will add your entire post as quote underneath on what you want to respond with.

Kasumi-Phase so forgive me.
You can also use Quote (image had this symbol: " ) in-between Media (image photo with video clip behind it) & Insert table (looks like a window).

I truly believe you are an outlier though your dedication is amazing haha.
My dedication is how much I care about DOA as a customer that should be given what I deserve (as long as the money is there), wanting to protect My hobby turning into a generic product that is meant to cater a bigger market, desire gatekeeping My hobby from people who don't enjoy the things I've enjoyed by natural filters like sex appeal & monetization, and treats sex appeal like valuable currency would find interest like Gacha games, Crowdfunding Projects, & replacing current industry with A.I. (Hollywood Writers, Journalist, & Localizer's biggest nightmare).

Saying that KT should essentially charge such high prices and lowering the budget of the game so that die hard fans who will pay anything will keep the game afloat is more or less what they already tried to do and more or less what killed the franchise.
If high prices & lowering game budget is what killed the franchise (which that method didn't completely do that), DOA6 wouldn't exist and would've stopped the moment $92 Season Pass made their introduction would've not had 7 Season Pass (would've stopped at 4 or less), DOAXVV wouldn't exist along with game life span up to 6 years (that surpass not only DOA fighting game titles but SF as well which would be the goal to match 5 Years or surpass), and I would not type on how DOA survive based on how KT handles their games.

Part of your comments involving marketing masses, catering to people who looked down on sexualzation, toned down sex appeal, & getting into eSports is part (not whole piece) what killed DOA Fighting Game Career with the release DOA6. For starters when DOA6 got announced things got bad when Shimbori was took his interview on IGN with the line “We wanted to make a more cool and mature Dead or Alive this time, and to that end we made a conscious decision to make the characters less sexualized,” along with other similar interviews involving on from "It is embarrassing that girls are too sexy and play.", "the fans gave me the opinion that "I want you to make it a bit cooler game."", “It’s more of a world trend.", “To be honest, we did a bit too much with some costumes in the past." lets just say people outside of FSD were not happy about news (including Me) was PR nightmare for Shimbori with responses of being a misunderstanding.
The incident that you said Shimbori did, that was the Marketing Team that did EVO Core Values thing which EVO eventually shutdown the program (which had more interests than what Shimbori been saying on his interviews involving taking franchise more serious). By the time DOA6 came out it was a game that was not happy with from sex appeal crowd weren't happy with what the game had to offer, people who wanted to enjoy the game weren't getting their enjoyment from missing modes (Lobby) & unlocking costumes feeling like a grind (plus random on what character costume you unlock), or games new mechanics, and what nuke DOA6 is PS4 Hair Color Customization Ticket System which made everyone not happy with how KT are nickle/dime customers which eventually lead to KT to discontinue the support for DOA6.

All it takes is developers/publishers felt they took their previous games too far (regardless their profitable or not), they decides to listen FGC Pros or certain communities wanting DOA to be more serious which in a result was a bad move for DOA as a sequel.

If DOA returns to their main line fighting game it is probably going to be toned down in sexuality, not completely removed but somewhere along the lines of Soul calibur probably.
I would rather prefer if KT & TN to do nothing with a DOA fighting game, than have another repeat from DOA6. My stance is if the game doesn't follow DOA5LR and new standard DOAXVV (because its more profitable than the fighting games) in terms of sex appeal, then KT & TN should follow what Marvelous did to Senran Kagura on their English Website which is to remove DOA from their lineup of games for worldwide releases with the only game that exist is DOAXVV in Japan & Asia only (like what happen to Senran Kagura which only has a Gacha game Shinobi Master Senran Kagura: New Link). Considering how KT tones down sexuality for their worldwide release, even did a Day One Censor Patch with Fairy Tail, and what happen to Atelier Resleriana they be better off making more games like Nioh or other Action Games for worldwide audience.

KT/TN worldwide would've never followed Soulcalibur, and SCVI has some "horny" fanservice items that would put DOA6 to shame theses items are Kaine Set, Female Pirate Set, Arcane Knight Set, Seraph's Set, & Holy Knight Set these are the items that show tons of skin which is perfect.

I do the marketing for my current job and I have a base line understanding for how it works, so I know that them coming up with another fighting game is out of the question. It makes no sense from a business standpoint to make a whole other game in the same genre as one of their legacy and established IPs.
Even your marketing skills is pretty flawed, there is something that makes sense from a business standpoint to have another game in the same genre as legacy/established IP. 1. Cater to another audience besides the current fans from Legacy/Established IP, 2. Game takes place in a different setting, 3. Different styles of fighting games 2D, 3D, Platform Fighter, & Arena Fighter, 4. Their Legacy/Established IP isn't working for them no more want to try something different, 5. Characters fighting each other with Weapons, & 6. Want to do something experimental for the gameplay. Team Ninja had another fighting game besides DOA which was Dissidia Final Fantasy NT, plus they've made more Action games besides Ninja Gaiden (which DOA & Ninja Gaiden are their only games they've developed before Metroid Other M). Tecmo use to have 2 fighting games DOA & Tokidenshou Angel Eyes (which Tokidenshou Angel Eyes only had 1 game didn't get sequels). Other companies would've had 2 or more fighting games, and not just have 1 fighting game (the closet they ever had 1 fighting game is because that company relied on that game which can be bad in a long run).

If KT really wanted to "capitalize on the fighting game renaissance and expand its market" this badly, it would be alot better if KT/TN just create 2nd fighting game to jump on that trend. The only reason they can't do a 2nd fighting game is because they can't rely on their monetization system on Western Audience (which what KT cares more about), and Fighting Game Renaissance or eSports isn't good enough for KT as much as they want the focus.

And as for gacha I can see them implementing that in some way, however with the way the market is in the US especially I doubt it would go over well and it would be a bad decision. Gacha is already a hot topic in the west so I think that would be a gamble (pun intended) not worth taking if you’re going to try and bring back an IP.
If you have a successful business model regardless how west feel, they just keep using the business model not care what west hates because there is always a market that will benefit their practice. The only time they should bring back an IP and use Gacha is if your DOA fighting game along with DOAXVV the Gacha game outlived DOA fighting games itself, KT would be smart enough to take what made DOAXVV successful and apply it to the fighting games.

Basically what I’m saying is when it comes to the fighting game if it comes back I wouldn’t get your hopes up for what you’re wanting because that is a very specific market that would hinder the company from making the money it could potentially make, and honestly I think it would truly truly kill the fighting game IP.
The only thing that breaks My faith is KT themselves not making proper follow-ups from what I enjoy (because this company is stupid enough to destroy its own successful business model), and KT should be limited what it can make (because they can't be trusted with success since they have a habit of backstabbing). If the company want make money they potentially want to make, they should only stick to what they know best which is Action-Adventure Games (like Nioh & Wo Long: Fallen Dynasty) give DOA less budget to work with.

The only way to solve the answer for I want being a very specific market and if its possible would kill the fighting game IP, is just make the game let stand on its own.

Yeah, but the next DOA wouldn't be anything like DOA6 because on multiple occasions now it's been hinted that it would be a refreshing take. Not to say the story wouldn't continue, or there would be an entirely new cast of characters; but I think what they mean would be bringing back its budget and its high-quality look.

DOA6 has moments where it looks very nice, but on a few things that only some would notice it was behind DOA5 on some levels. For instance, I will agree that the belly buttons looked quite terrible, and they used the dirt to cover up how bad they look with the same exact mark for each female. Plus, the arms on the female characters looked mega weird. It would be important to add some type of tone to them.

So, I guess what I'm trying to say is that they didn't really tone the sexualization down as much as they turned down the quality of some parts which actually brought some of the sexualization down with it unintentionally. I would hope that if another DOA was to come around that Hayashi would bring his production quality to the game. He knows how to get a budget out of KT and he was far better than I ever game him credit for despite his unfortunate, but predictable loyalty to Sony.

My biggest worry when it comes to KT will always be dog shit, lying corrupt corporate jack offs at Sony. Pointing the finger at just Koei Tecmo is a little insane to me. Sony is not only insanely woke (especially in terms of T&A) but they know how to put a collar on KT and if they bitched and moaned about another Nioh exclusive they would probably get what they want over us players with no compromise. I fucking hate the company, but just like people are misguided enough to shop at Wal-Mart; they are also misguided enough to think that PS5 is a good system when infact it's been the most damaging to video games, preservation, the game economy on budget households and censorship. Every game now has to be considered a casual cinema Uncharted rip off to be a GOTY contender. That is not good for games.

Why do you think the Japanese government voted in favor for Microsoft's ABK deal to go through against the wishes of precious Sony on their own home-turf? Well look at stock performance in Japan and you will see why. Sony is the equivalent to dog shit Ronald Reagan (the worst fucking president of all time) trickledown economics while putting a loyalty collar on everyone in Japan while they suffer, and Sony reaps all the rewards. Nintendo was the only company strong enough to not need to bend the knee to those self-righteous and overrated shit fucks.

Last edited:
I would hope that if another DOA was to come around that Hayashi would bring his production quality to the game. He knows how to get a budget out of KT and he was far better than I ever game him credit for despite his unfortunate, but predictable loyalty to Sony. My biggest worry when it comes to KT will always be dog shit, lying corrupt corporate jackasses at Sony. Why do you think the Japanese government voted in favor for Microsoft's ABK deal to go through against the wishes of precious Sony on their own home-turf?
1. I'm not sure if forcing Hayashi to play Halo without asking him would confuse him. I bet he'd have a hard time trying to focus on the story. Me, I'm just glad that he stood his ground and swatted the "culture critics" who were gonna take a dump on him.

2. The reason the Japanese government cared about the Activision-Blizzard merger was that COD was too big a cash-cow for them to drop, especially back in the OG MW2 and Black Ops 1 days.

Pointing the finger at just Koei-Tecmo is crazy to me. Sony is not only insanely woke (especially in terms of T&A), but they know how to put a collar on KT and if they bitched and moaned about another Nioh exclusive, they would probably get what they want over us players with no compromise. Every game now has to be considered a casual cinema Uncharted rip off to be a GOTY contender. That is not good for games.
As far as I can tell, KT passed with flying colors when it came to DOA 5. And yeah, I get not every game should be "cinematic", but you've been saying the same damn thing on Twitter over and over. But, I don't think Japan puts that much weight over Uncharted or its contemporaries, far from it. Besides, if you want to put a gun to a Japanese customer's head just to force them to buy an Xbox, they have other games than Gears to play on it. Game Pass especially. I realize you're mad that DOA isn't getting enough ties to Xbox for your liking, but really. Would ANYONE have given a shit if DOA 3 were only a timed exclusive to the Xbox all the way back in '01? Or would they buy both versions indiscriminately?

Who cares about the sex appeal stuff. DOA was equally about great graphics and cool crazy stages… bring that back lol

But for the interview, who knows what Yasuda actually means. Its prolly just generic talk I would think

DOA was equally about great graphics and cool crazy stages…
I never liked the ones in the first game. Not trolling here, not a plant, I just think Itagaki should pretend the first DOA never existed for how quickly thrown together the stages were.
For the interview, who knows what Yasuda actually means?
Don't know, don't care. All I know is that there are no roots to go back to if they want the franchise to survive long-term. Anyone with a functioning frontal lobe already knows that, but that doesn't mean they can't try to look at what didn't work in the past, which is changing bugger-all like the industry is used to, but take cues from 343 Industries and actually improve what earlier games came up short upon, like Halo 4's progression system, Halo 5's vericality, and more recently, Halo: Infinite's Forge scripting and level editing. For DOA, I think we need to stop acting like the bar can't be raised for 3D fighting games, cuz that's what Tekken 8 represents: a dead end that has no real ambition to speak of.

I think personally DOA should just go back to what they were doing in DOA5U to LR where they had the fanservice with the swimsuits and sexy costumes but still also tried to bring back older costumes with the full or near full sets like the cop and Mandarin costumes. But they also should do more than costumes and add more support like stages, better balancing, and more additional stuff like a better story and more interaction and variety.

DOA is always going to be seen as the sexy fighter so I just say at this point as long as the gameplay is good, embrace it since Street Fighter 6 is owning it in their own regard and everyone loves that. I feel the sexiness shouldn't really bother anyone unless you're one of the rare few in the community who complain about even the most miniscule things like erotic photography in DOA, how certain girls like the loli types are sexualized and the boob sizes even tho that's a thing in all of the fighting games nowadays since people get off to just about anything. If MK1's modding scene is any indication, people seem to be fully more accepting to the idea of some sex appeal since the most sought after mods are the more revealing ones for men and women which says alot in 2024.
/thread

I never liked the ones in the first game. Not trolling here, not a plant, I just think Itagaki should pretend the first DOA never existed for how quickly thrown together the stages were.

Don't know, don't care. All I know is that there are no roots to go back to if they want the franchise to survive long-term. Anyone with a functioning frontal lobe already knows that, but that doesn't mean they can't try to look at what didn't work in the past, which is changing bugger-all like the industry is used to, but take cues from 343 Industries and actually improve what earlier games came up short upon, like Halo 4's progression system, Halo 5's vericality, and more recently, Halo: Infinite's Forge scripting and level editing. For DOA, I think we need to stop acting like the bar can't be raised for 3D fighting games, cuz that's what Tekken 8 represents: a dead end that has no real ambition to speak of.
Tbf the first game's stages were that way since the danger zone system was handled different where when you went past a certain point the floor would blow up, and that was early on during the FG era before DOA2 came and Itagaki fleshed out the danger zones and hazards to more stuff like slope falls, massive drops and other things.

I think DOA should use what made the earlier games so fun and cinematic when making a new game since it was alot of the stages and vibrant design that had its charm. The stages now don't have much of that and they really lack the depth the other ones did like the hidden room in the Crimson and the stair slope throws.

All i could think off about Possible Refresh Look Reboot Route

a) DOA turn to 2 dimension Anime Fighting Game by Arcsys - DLC just like any other arcsys game

b) DOA PSVR2 + SIM DATING DLC Heavy .. Need to buy PSVR2 + PS5

c) All Girl DOA VV FG - DLC Heavy , Gacha - Region Lock - PC DMM, STEAM

d) DOA6 plus ARCADE MACHINE just like VF - Japan Only arcade

e) DOA 3D fighting game with no doa character , replace by popular chinese character from romance of the three kingdom. - Not Heavy DLC

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD