Fumihiko Yasuda Basically Confirmed Next Team NINJA Games

We wish everyone a happy New Year here at Free Step Dodge and would like to take a minute to thank the readers and contributors of the longest running Dead or Alive website in the world for continuing to support us with your viewership, donations and thoughtful comments. This past year we delved deep into the inner mind of the Koei Tecmo business model, explored their other games passionately and kept DOA tournaments a major highlight whether it was Dead or Alive 2: Ultimate, Dead or Alive 3 ++, Dead or Alive 5 and of course Dead or Alive 6. At FSD we will continue to entertain, educate and delight you with a razor-sharp community that knows the ins and outs of Team NINJA along with our Indepth front page news articles.

I truly do believe there is every type of Team NINJA player here possible including: veterans such as Rikuto and Ponton that can give you the absolute best gameplay advice, we have active modders posting that can whip up just about anything your heart desires, the blunt historian news hounds that know it all, seasoned tournament players, old school fighters that date back to the Dreamcast days, the person that goes on every date in Venus Vacation, the player that can beat NINJA Gaiden without taking a hit. It is so much fun to have an educated roster of people contributing to FSD!

For some there are lots of reasons to go and lots of reasons to stay; and for those still straddling the fence I think we may be heading back into a positive direction with classic Team NINJA franchises that we all know and love and want to see return. According to president of Team NINJA: Fumihiko Yasuda who spoke out just a few days ago via Famitsu Online; and before we get into this let me make one thing straight right away - fans and veteran players alike did not bite onto this tease at all; and I'm willing to bet some didn't even read what he actually said because that is what years of agonizing anticipation will do to someone.

To those that doubt let me try to persuade you to not be a believer, but maybe have a little faith and we can do this by breaking down what Yasuda said piece by piece:

We have continued to produce titles with historical themes such as the Sengoku and the end of the Edo period, and we have learned a lot from them, but we would like to make 2024 a year in which we take a fresh look at the historic series of Koei Tecmo and Team NINJA.

This comment single-handedly expels and negates the idea of a new Nioh, Nobunaga or Ronin title and suggests that they are moving on from that period of time. This also would disqualify a new Wo Long title since it is not a historic Team NINJA title which would negate Three Kingdoms/Onward into Western Jin Dynasty as well. Also keep in mind that Team NINJA has not announced any type of season pass for the Rise of Ronin. The historic series of Koei Tecmo would have to be a NINJA Gaiden or Dead or Alive title with one historic Koei Tecmo title already in place with Atelier Resleriana. Team NINJA is working on Atelier Resleriana and Dead or Alive Xtreme Venus Vacation as their two gacha titles that will bring in guaranteed money, but do not require full-time operators as the base on how to make the money has been built for years.

Koei Tecmo's stock performance fell -35% for Q4 despite having an outstanding and underrated year and when this type of thing happens, they turn to Dead or Alive for a quick revenue pull. So, my guess is that they are or will be working on NINJA Gaiden and Dead or Alive titles. Based on what Fumihiko Yasuda has said on the record here, it's going to be A LOT harder for him to turn around and say differently when the press challenges him again. What's he going to say? "I didn't say those things" and disappear?

This is Yasuda's chance to do some serious storytelling in his own life. To challenge himself to think and succeed outside of the souls-like genre and to write previous wrongs that haunt him. Not to mention that he still has gameplay engineers on staff from the Dead or Alive franchise.

Last edited:
All i could think off about Possible Refresh Look Reboot Route

a) DOA turn to 2 dimension Anime Fighting Game by Arcsys - DLC just like any other arcsys game

b) DOA PSVR2 + SIM DATING DLC Heavy .. Need to buy PSVR2 + PS5

c) All Girl DOA VV FG - DLC Heavy , Gacha - Region Lock - PC DMM, STEAM

d) DOA6 plus ARCADE MACHINE just like VF - Japan Only arcade

e) DOA 3D fighting game with no doa character , replace by popular chinese character from romance of the three kingdom. - Not Heavy DLC

To me it's easy to overthink a reboot, but in all actuality DOA6 already felt like a reboot from what we got with DOA5 from the more vibrant color to the mechanics. When they speak of a refreshing take or reboot it could just be a nice way of saying "not DOA6." Once again, I'm not saying DOA6 was a terrible game, but I am saying that it wouldn't be hard to be much different from it.

Who cares about the sex appeal stuff. DOA was equally about great graphics and cool crazy stages… bring that back lol

But for the interview, who knows what Yasuda actually means. Its prolly just generic talk I would think

I would love to see some classic DOA4 stages return like Seaside Market, but I think in order to sell to both sides there should be a compromise and DOA6 wasn't much of a compromise for the base that prefers it.

Yasuda was very specific on what he said IMO and should be held to the state of what he said.

To me it's easy to overthink a reboot, but in all actuality DOA6 already felt like a reboot from what we got with DOA5 from the more vibrant color to the mechanics. When they speak of a refreshing take or reboot it could just be a nice way of saying "not DOA6." Once again, I'm not saying DOA6 was a terrible game, but I am saying that it wouldn't be hard to be much different from it.

I would love to see some classic DOA4 stages return like Seaside Market, but I think in order to sell to both sides there should be a compromise and DOA6 wasn't much of a compromise for the base that prefers it.

Yasuda was very specific on what he said IMO and should be held to the state of what he said.

I think DOA6 feels nearer to DOA4 than DOA3 & DOA5.

DOA5 don't have a solid identity.. feel like mishmash of ideas from all older DOA title.

I think DOA6 feels nearer to DOA4 than DOA3 & DOA5.

DOA5 don't have a solid identity.. feel like mishmash of ideas from all older DOA title.

It was darker than previous entries and most people seemed to think it looked more realistic as well which I would agree. I think all DOAs feel different from each other, but I think your comparison to DOA4 and DOA6 is fair.

We wish everyone a happy New Year here at Free Step Dodge and would like to take a minute to thank the readers and contributors of the longest running Dead or Alive website in the world for continuing to support us with your viewership, donations and thoughtful comments. This past year we delved deep into the inner mind of the Koei Tecmo business model, explored their other games passionately and kept DOA tournaments a major highlight whether it was Dead or Alive 2: Ultimate, Dead or Alive 3 ++, Dead or Alive 5 and of course Dead or Alive 6. At FSD we will continue to entertain, educate and delight you with a razor-sharp community that knows the ins and outs of Team NINJA along with our Indepth front page news articles.

I truly do believe there is every type of Team NINJA player here possible including: veterans such as Rikuto and Ponton that can give you the absolute best gameplay advice, we have active modders posting that can whip up just about anything your heart desires, the blunt historian news hounds that know it all, seasoned tournament players, old school fighters that date back to the Dreamcast days, the person that goes on every date in Venus Vacation, the player that can beat NINJA Gaiden without taking a hit. It is so much fun to have an educated roster of people contributing to FSD!

For some there are lots of reasons to go and lots of reasons to stay; and for those still straddling the fence I think we may be heading back into a positive direction with classic Team NINJA franchises that we all know and love and want to see return. According to president of Team NINJA: Fumihiko Yasuda who spoke out just a few days ago via Famitsu Online; and before we get into this let me make one thing straight right away - fans and veteran players alike did not bite onto this tease at all; and I'm willing to bet some didn't even read what he actually said because that is what years of agonizing anticipation will do to someone.

To those that doubt let me try to persuade you to not be a believer, but maybe have a little faith and we can do this by breaking down what Yasuda said piece by piece:

This comment single-handedly expels and negates the idea of a new Nioh, Nobunaga or Ronin title and suggests that they are moving on from that period of time. This also would disqualify a new Wo Long title since it is not a historic Team NINJA title which would negate Three Kingdoms/Onward into Western Jin Dynasty as well. Also keep in mind that Team NINJA has not announced any type of season pass for the Rise of Ronin. The historic series of Koei Tecmo would have to be a NINJA Gaiden or Dead or Alive title with one historic Koei Tecmo title already in place with Atelier Resleriana. Team NINJA is working on Atelier Resleriana and Dead or Alive Xtreme Venus Vacation as their two gacha titles that will bring in guaranteed money, but do not require full-time operators as the base on how to make the money has been built for years.

Koei Tecmo's stock performance fell -35% for Q4 despite having an outstanding and underrated year and when this type of thing happens, they turn to Dead or Alive for a quick revenue pull. So, my guess is that they are or will be working on NINJA Gaiden and Dead or Alive titles. Based on what Fumihiko Yasuda has said on the record here, it's going to be A LOT harder for him to turn around and say differently when the press challenges him again. What's he going to say? "I didn't say those things" and disappear?

This is Yasuda's chance to do some serious storytelling in his own life. To challenge himself to think and succeed outside of the souls-like genre and to write previous wrongs that haunt him. Not to mention that he still has gameplay engineers on staff from the Dead or Alive franchise.
Make a DOA game that is unabashedly over the top 90s mai shiranui/modern Ivy/ Street fighter 6 classic Cammy/ that new blade game from Korea with the live model levels of sexy, all the guys shredded and jacked and handsome (none of this jan lee on meth or basic bayman instead of Rocky ivan drago or bass instead of the Rock) with the solid game play of DOA5/6 and the game will sell buttloads and even more as DLC costumes. No game out there wears its sexiness without shame and is cool inciting triggering REeees from godless prudes/feminazis.

DO IT TN!

I don’t think we would ever get a new game announcement from Touch Arcade or from Hirayama. It would be Yasuda or maybe Hayashi, but this would go against Morita who has been right about everything so far the past two years.

Anyways. Like I said in a previous post to sort of double down. Now is the time to address your concerns with the company directly while they have no announced project or season pass with Ronin.

DId you read your own link?
TA: After Rise of the Ronin which is being handled by Team NINJA, Koei Tecmo, and PlayStation Studios, is there any plan for Team NINJA to return to its classic franchises like NINJA GAIDEN and DEAD OR ALIVE?

MH: While we have no plans at the moment, the NINJA GAIDEN and DEAD OR ALIVE are IPs that are important to us, so we are always considering the possibility.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD