Media Game Development, DLC, and Netcode

His Reverence

Papa Reverence, the Ayane Enthusiast.
Premium Donor
Ladies and gentlemen, I found this fascinating video that addresses virtually every complaint that this community has about DOA/Online, developers, publishers, etc.

The community tends to cultivate many ideas as to what perpetuates certain types of decision-making, most of which are mere assumptions conjured up by folk who know nothing about the development process of their beloved product.

Sirs & madams, I refer you all to this video which, I hope, will unveil and/or answer some of your questions.
The video is long but it covers game development and decision-making, where your money goes, DLC practices, and most importantly (to most) netcode.

A Conversation with a AAA Concept Artist:

Understand that this is applicable to all games and not just DOA.

Last edited:

Goarmagon

Standard Donor
I saw that when it was steaming live. I am and was aware of those practices before and I still pretty much feel the same way I do.

People demanding something that was in a game before and is in other games isn't despicable or pathetic at all its the fact that these studios and their budgets have grown out of control to the point where they have to adopt some really stupid business practices.

The Defcon 1 comment was hilarious though. MMO, FPS, and fighting game netcode are entirely different.

His Reverence

Premium Donor
The Defcon 1 comment was hilarious though. MMO, FPS, and fighting game netcode are entirely different.

Different or not, we do not know how easy it is to create a proper netcode - nor is it our place to say how easy it is to fix. Should we make our voices heard? Absolutely. Should we bitch and moan like entitled brats? Not quite. We should be rational. If we get what we ask for, wonderful! If not, tough shit.

I suppose that the key purpose of this video is for consumers to have a sense of empathy towards the developers who they supposedly adore.

Goarmagon

Standard Donor
Different or not, we do not know how easy it is to create a proper netcode - nor is it our place to say how easy it is to fix. Should we make our voices heard? Absolutely. Should we bitch and moan like entitled brats? Not quite. We should be rational. If we get what we ask for, wonderful! If not, tough shit.

I suppose that the key purpose of this video is for consumers to have a sense of empathy towards the developers who they supposedly adore.

This is where we disagree Rev. If this was them being nice and giving it to us for free then you would be absolutely correct to say that(yes I am aware of core fighters). But many of us paid out the ass for the DLC to make the game profitable and honestly I want to see some of that go back into the game and not into the shareholders pockets.

Don't get me wrong I am empathetic to what its like to deal with some pissed off customers and the brutal deadlines for concept art(at one point in time I was training to be an illustrator) but at the end of the day I don't think we are asking for too much and some of these dudes, like the guy said in the stream get paid as much as some doctors in the medical field.

His Reverence

Premium Donor
Keep in mind as to how many hours these people work. I'd say that justifies their pay.

Goarmagon

Standard Donor
Keep in mind as to how many hours these people work. I'd say that justifies their pay.
Not really. I know some people who work just as many if not more hours and don't make a fraction of what some of those dudes make, both in skilled and unskilled labor. Apples to oranges bro.

Last edited:
ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD