System Grabs and ground game

AlexXsWx

I think that all grabs (throws, holds, offensive holds, and attacks that play grab animation) that cause opponent to play any animation that doesn't leave him standing, leave him zero ground invincibility frames and limit his techroll option to either "away from opponent" (which allows for unholdables) or nothing at all - all this given that you don't interrupt this animation with another one by doing a juggle.

This includes airborne throws (e.g. :rachel: :426::T: :5: :T: or :rig: (Bending Stance) :6::H+K::K:) and combo throws (e.g. :akira: :P+K: (hit) :4::3::T: :6::P:)

In addition to that there are also some attacks that have same property (e.g. :tina: :3::H+K: doesn't let you to techroll; :rig: :6::6::P: (counter-hit/stun) only allows to techroll away from opponent), but to my knowledge there is no strike-launcher that would have it (an interesting example is :ayane: (With back to foe) :6::6: :5: :H+K: which is a "super launcher" strike, but still allows for arbitrary techroll direction)

For some of these scenarios it is possible that the character has an option that covers both ground hit and unholdable

Some examples:
:hayabusa: :426::T: :5: :8::K: (whiff) :5: :4::H+K: will hit opponent on ground if he doesn't tech roll and will land as an unholdable if he does (-5 on block) - shout out to Master for sharing this one
:eliot: :236::T: :5: :3::P+K: (whiff) :5: :1::K: (forcetech / unholdable)
:christie: Next to wall: :1::h: (low punch hold) :5: :P: (whiff) :5: :1::T: (whiff) :5: :2::H+K: (forcetech / unholdable)
:helena: Next to wall: (Bokuho) :T: :5: :6::T: (whiff) :5: :2::H+K: (forcetech / unholdable)

I do realize that juggling opponent instead gives more guaranteed damage, but there might be some scenarios where this option could be used as a reset

Note that "away from opponent" can for the same fall animation mean "techroll back", "techroll to side" and "techroll forward" (if you run underneath launched opponent) based on your position. Techroll to side is 1 frame faster than techroll back. Walls often tend to push airborne opponent to your side, especially when you advance towards opponent

Example of grab that doesn't allow to techroll:

:kasumi::1::h: (low kick hold; causes a ground bounce that allows for a juggle)

To demonstrate that this has nothing to do with ground bounce:
:mila::1::h: (low punch hold) also does ground bounce but allows for a techroll

Another example that doesn't allow to techroll:
:momiji::9::P::P+K::T: (only when there is a wall behind opponent)

Other interesting examples:
:akira::8::8::K: (hit) :T: - is a throw-on-hit,
:christie:Christie's :3::P::P::[[P]]: (hit) - is a strike that causes auto-throw on hit,
:akira::236::P+K: (guard break) :4::3::P+K: :5: :236::P: :5: :4::6::P+K: is a strike that causes auto-combo-throw on guard

I used my web app to find some of these setups, if you want to cover all possible options consider using it too - https://rawgit.com/AlexXsWx/DeadOrAliveMovelistVisualiser/1.0.4c/src/index.html (I've already entered data for some characters) - but be accurate when you enter frame data, the game doesn't always show it correctly, especially for various stances and feints. And if you do, consider sharing it with me so I can make it available for everyone :)

Bonus fun fact: Did you know that Zack is the only character who can harm himself by falling from ledge using his :1:Ap taunt?

Last edited:

WAZAAAAA

not sure if you're aware but my DOA5LR Toolbox (Frame Counter or Cheat Table) might have helpful real frame advantage/startup/animation frames to help you find unholdable setups more quickly

but honestly fuck unholdables, hope they'll finally fix the glitch in DOA6

also unrelated, but YouTube converted your video like ass at qualities 480p 240p 144p lol

Last edited:

WAZAAAAA

What do you mean explain why? They were designed to be that way. There's nothing about those setups that are glitches.
Explain to me why the developers supposedly put the mechanic in the game ON PURPOSE.

Unholdables are possible because after almost every animation in the game you can't do (almost) anything for 1 frame, the game forces you to stay idle/neutral.

This forced idle frame doesn't just happen after wakeups. It happens after every blockstun, hitstun, throw, string, throw, hold... you name it. It's not explained anywhere in any in-game tutorial or any official source whatsoever as far as I'm aware. Just an old bug that has plagued every DOA, stop defending it, the tactics "generated" by unholdables are an accidental side effect.

Reactions: YEH

Raansu

Explain to me why the developers supposedly put the mechanic in the game ON PURPOSE.

Unholdables are possible because after almost every animation in the game you can't do (almost) anything for 1 frame, the game forces you to stay idle/neutral.

This forced idle frame doesn't just happen after wakeups. It happens after every blockstun, hitstun, throw, string, throw, hold... you name it. It's not explained anywhere in any in-game tutorial or any official source whatsoever as far as I'm aware. Just an old bug that has plagued every DOA, stop defending it, the tactics "generated" by unholdables are an accidental side effect.

DoA has gone through multiple engines. If it was a bug, the design would have been changed long ago. Just because its not mentioned in some tutorial doesn't mean its a bug. Fighting game tutorials never go that in depth. Its an intentional design.

AlexXsWx

Even though I agree unholdables are a bug, I actually like the depth they add. E.g. when you have an unholdable PB on a wallsplat you need to make a guess that opponent will techroll to start charging it early enough, you can't react to that. But it would be nice if this was officially presented to players by the game, so that they don't try to hold unholdables and understand what are their options.

WAZAAAAA

DoA has gone through multiple engines. If it was a bug, the design would have been changed long ago. Just because its not mentioned in some tutorial doesn't mean its a bug. Fighting game tutorials never go that in depth. Its an intentional design.
As expected, your only argument is "they haven't fixed it yet so it's not a bug durr".
Obscure old DOA bugs can appear in multiple DOA's and still go unfixed. Mila's takedown glitch has existed in every version of DOA5 since vanilla.

We don't even have a proper name for this behaviour. You can't strike/throw/sidestep/move during the glitched idle frame, it's not just "holds". DOA2U Tengu's tornado attack from afar is the correct definition of UNHOLDABLE. And let's be real, the "unholdable" frame went unnoticed until late in DOA5's life... pretty much nobody knew it existed until that one stream by MASTER.

Its an intentional design.
Let's suppose it is intentional. My next question would be:
but-why.gif

I will start believing that the forced idle is NOT a glitch only if Itagaki Hayashi and Shimbori all come to my house to tell me that in person.
I have a shitty aesthetical theory for its existence, which is not gameplay related.

I actually like
of course you fucking do I could tell from the fact you built an app to create them lmao

Raansu

'xcuse me if I rub it in his face a little but I have to. Raansu, you were saying?
>FSDC.mp4
200.gif

There's a difference between unholdables being designed to work that way and a straight up bug that completely cancels animations. On that note, another ignored user.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD