Has this game been more catered to scrubs?

extravagant

Don't know why, but after playing online a while now it seems like the game has been more casual friendly. I've been holding a good candle online but I see a lot more "lame KOs" by scrubs button mashing or abusing weird tactics / weird stuff that they normally would not get away with in the previous game. Also, I feel like damage has overall been nerfed, a counter used to sometimes save your life, and now they don't as much anymore. Damage has overall been lowered, for some reason I don't like it. Also, I seen a lot of character abuse a lot of tactics in order to win. For some reason I don't feel like people got away with so much crap in DoA5 but I'm not sure. What do you guys think?

KasumiLover

xX_APO_Prince_Xx
Premium Donor
In my opinion, the game is easier to get into for multiple reasons(I've been drinking so forgive me if I misspell anything):

-The stagger escape has been removed so in this game instead of being able to SE out of dangerous stuns, you'll have to correctly guess to escape a stun or wait your opponent out in case you're being baited for a throw/you think they're gonna stop to bait a reaction from you.

-Break holds are a thing so you can use this to stop anything, although it costs meter and does pitiful damage as a trade off. You also have break blows as well which act as a comeback attack and or combo extender but the damage itself isn't really that scary although it can be used as a random get off me.

-Sidesteps are way more buffed so you can use this as a get off me against alot of characters who lack it and it does seem too strong at times with how easy it is to throw out.

-CB is removed so the game overall is less stun based and more towards trying to get a good start on going on the offensive

Since the game has these changes and such where you'll have to play more solid and guess more since its more stun launch based, I think it benefits new players and does make it easier for them to use strange tactics to win like side step spamming and such but I think it's not a bad thing, if you're still playing solid and carefully, you can still win against players like that. A simpler to get into game imo benefits veteran players more since those tools like fatal stun and sidestepping can be used more deeply than the shallow way casual players would use it. Plus the game is still new, I'm sure once a few months have passed, everyone will better fully adapt to how the game's changed tho. I've played online earlier today and fought alot of different players(some who abused stuff like you said) but as long as you're just playing mindfully it shouldn't be hard to shut down scrub type tactics

Well as a scrub, I think the inclusion of beefer sidestepping and meters makes the game less scrub friendly, as their are now more mechanics to dissect and learn. To be fair, I don't like either mechanic at the moment, thus my unwillingness to learn the nuances of the system, leading me to simply bash the buttons at the moment, without much success mind you.

RayBellion

I agree with KasumiLover that DOA has become easier to get into. I think TN tried to reduce the increase of damage capabilities that usually comes with the gain of expertise.
- The diminishing gain from extending combos lessens the damage capability difference between the veteran (who knows how to dish out long combos) and the player who strings three buttons randomly together. The first 3 hits already do quite a high percentage of the total damage.
- The break bar nearly guarantees getting in some spectacular hits even for the clueless now. The old PB was not so easy to achieve with blind-mashing.
- Finer mechanics for the players in the know (like stagger escape) have been removed.

That said, I only started DOA with the wonderful DOA5LR, so I am no expert on this matter and my combo knowledge still sucks. Just my 2c.

Rikuto

P-P-P-P-P-P-POWER!
The only new mechanic I feel is scrub-friendly would be the break blow.

And that being said, there are some very good meter-drain tactics you can use to keep that tool in check, provided you actually -use- fatal rush to bait your enemies into wasting said meter.

But let us never, ever say that stagger escape was an "advanced tactic". It was simply D-pad destruction and I went through hundreds of dollars in controllers over the years because of how badly that shit wore out the pads. Never again.

HumbleGamer

There is nothing wrong with making a game more noob friendly. Elitism only holds the fighting game genre back.
Elitism is a strong word. There are players who have been playing fighting games for years and have put in the work to get good at these games. For someone to just pick up a controller mash out random things and win against a veteran, and or skilled player who studied the game is infuriating to say the least. I'm not attacking you, however you must look at this objectively. There are mechanics and frames for a reason and they are to avoid as much randomness as possible. If someone does everything right, and still gets punished due to someone just pressing buttons that is maddening. Fighting games are Chess. Nothing more; nothing less. As a beginner in chess you're going to get dominated until you learn the game. No one dumbs down chess to make it appealing to others, therefore the trend of making fighting games more casual friendly are in turn hurting the fighting genre.

Jyu_Viole_Grace

It's just different than DOA 5, more focused in neutral game. You have to adapt to your rival more often so if they tend to use sidesteps just wait for it and punish them with tracking moves.

There are things that I don't like that much, like the damage of throws + but overall I'm enjoying what I see as a return to the old formula that I liked so much in DOA2U with some new gimmicks.

Elitism is a strong word. There are players who have been playing fighting games for years and have put in the work to get good at these games. For someone to just pick up a controller mash out random things and win against a veteran, and or skilled player who studied the game is infuriating to say the least. I'm not attacking you, however you must look at this objectively. There are mechanics and frames for a reason and they are to avoid as much randomness as possible. If someone does everything right, and still gets punished due to someone just pressing buttons that is maddening. Fighting games are Chess. Nothing more; nothing less. As a beginner in chess you're going to get dominated until you learn the game. No one dumbs down chess to make it appealing to others, therefore the trend of making fighting games more casual friendly are in turn hurting the fighting genre.

Well a truly skilled player wouldn't be beaten by noob. I'm not saying that a game shouldn't have a skill gap. All I'm saying is that accessibility in fighting game genre needs to improve like this there will be more players...You know...Easy to pick up but hard to master.

Last edited:
ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD