Hayashi: A Dead or Alive Collaboration Title Is Possible

Dead or Alive fans have always wondered if Dead or Alive would get a "vs" style treatment in the vein of "Capcom vs SNK" or "Street Fighter X Tekken". Although the most common collaboration recommended is Virtua Fighter vs DOA, personally speaking I still don't believe it would set the world on fire in sales. However, Virtua Fighter's technical skills with DOA's flash could lead to a title that promotes both game franchises at the same time.

Although I'd still rather have a Soul Calibur vs Dynasty Warriors cross over title, Hayashi recently went on record in an EDGE Interview to say that a collaboration title is something the team would be interested in. He also brings up that Virtua Fighter was the first 3D game he played, lending credence to the VF vs DOA idea:

EDGE said:
In an interview, Hayashi told us: "In terms of collaboration titles, there are staff on our team who just love fighting games and if there was any chance to do that we'd actively, possibly do that.

"The first 3D game I played was Virtua Fighter, that's the IP I respect most. Virtua Fighter was the father of 3D gaming, so it's very well respected."

There are many more interesting quotes from Hayashi in the full interview. Including information on the desire to 'mature' the DOA series from the pin-up models of its past and his thoughts on Dead or Alive Dimension's sales (He was a bit disappointed).

Source: EDGE

hayashi_01.jpg

-If they ever decided to do a Doa VS. Vf, it should be like a more refined fighters megamix (probably Call it megamix 2!). Allow players to choose wether they want either a Doa or Vf playing style.

How would choosing between two different play styles be a good idea? Just curious. Personally I agree with everyone else about finding a middle ground by integrating both of them.

Take SFxTekken for example. Correct me if I'm wrong but it seems to play more or less exactly like SF4. The only difference is that they created a tag system with some of the Tekken cast included. I see no influence from Tekken, unless there's a TekkenxSF game that does the opposite in terms of mechanics and plays similar to Tekken. Don't get me wrong it's a great idea/mixture for a crossover, but I'm sure Capcom could have easily done it without them. The TTT series did just fine by itself. Something tells me there's some sort of pattern here with Capcom. They won't release a game with tag/teams unless it's a crossover title (i.e. Marvel vs Capcom, Capcom vs SNK, etc.).

The only exception to this, in my opinion, would probably be the KOF series. That's a totally different story. Although its original cast features characters from various fighting games, in a sense it is its own unique form of a crossover that has made a name for itself.

And I'm throwing it back.

Itagaki is the reason DOA 4 ended up the way it did.

There has never once been any evidence to suggest the VF testers had any impact on it, just loose speculation derived from a complete lack of information. You were there when shimbori said it was changed so it could tailor to Itagaki's personal taste.

All we do know is that about the VF testers is that they didn't really like what they were playing. That's not exactly hard to imagine, it was DOA.

I know I know, I was just playing :p

How would choosing between two different play styles be a good idea? Just curious. Personally I agree with everyone else about finding a middle ground by integrating both of them.

Take SFxTekken for example. Correct me if I'm wrong but it seems to play more or less exactly like SF4. The only difference is that they created a tag system with some of the Tekken cast included. I see no influence from Tekken, unless there's a TekkenxSF game that does the opposite in terms of mechanics and plays similar to Tekken. Don't get me wrong it's a great idea/mixture for a crossover, but I'm sure Capcom could have easily done it without them. The TTT series did just fine by itself. Something tells me there's some sort of pattern here with Capcom. They won't release a game with tag/teams unless it's a crossover title (i.e. Marvel vs Capcom, Capcom vs SNK, etc.).

Thats exactly what they are doing. Development is supposed to start once TTT2 is done.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD