Hayashi: Level of randomness in stage design

Hayashi discussed randomness in Dead or Alive 5 stage design during a NInja Gaiden 3 interview with G4TV. Basically, he says that the level of randomness hasn't been determined and will be decided as the game gets fleshed out more. In addition, he further attempts to clarify the DOA5 mission statement of "Fighting Entertainment". Full quote from the interview below:

G4 said:
G4: Team Ninja also announced that they are working on Dead or Alive 5. You’ve stated that the concept for the game is “fighting entertainment.” I can’t help but think that might carry a negative connotation to hardcore fighting game fans, however, who view a fighting game devised as “entertainment” to be lacking in skill and competitive qualities.

Hayashi: Yes, we do understand the term has a bit of a negative connotation. We’re sure some people will hear “fighting entertainment” and think we’re just trying to put together some lame fighting game with no depth whatsoever. I assure you, that is not our intention. We have the base for DoA already as a solid fighting game. We will definitely make sure that it satisfies their needs.

But looking at modern game design – if you want to make a brand new fighting game now, what would you want to do with it to make it stand out from the pack? Where would you take the genre? It seems like there’s more to be explored there. We have the base, and we’ll definitely offer an experience that fans will want. But there’s a level of spectacle, fun, and entertainment we’re also trying to bring back to the genre.

G4: There’s always been a lot of spectacle going on in the DoA levels, but it looks like you’re really trying to make the stages an even bigger part of the gameplay. How are you approaching the stage design this time around? Will the levels have any element of randomness to them?

Hayashi: Any element of randomness we may or may not decide to put in is going to be something we’ll decide when weighing the overall balance of the game. We can’t really say right now what’s going to be in. We can tell you that we will offer a solid, well-balanced fighting game. Whether that includes random elements or not – we’ll just have to see if that will work with what we want to do.

experimental_playground_01.jpg

Note: I only chose the chosen image because I thought it looked pretty. There is NO OTHER REASON I chose that particular image. No reason... at all. Yeah...

G4 said:
Hayashi: Yes, we do understand the term has a bit of a negative connotation. We’re sure some people will hear “fighting entertainment” and think we’re just trying to put together some lame fighting game with no depth whatsoever. I assure you, that is not our intention. We have the base for DoA already as a solid fighting game. We will definitely make sure that it satisfies their needs.

-I do like that he is taking the concerns of the hardcore to heart. I just hope our discussions with Shimbori-san opened their eyes to what we the community see as a Solid fighting game with depth. It would be nice if their ideas match up to our standard.

Hayashi: Any element of randomness we may or may not decide to put in is going to be something we’ll decide when weighing the overall balance of the game. We can’t really say right now what’s going to be in. We can tell you that we will offer a solid, well-balanced fighting game. Whether that includes random elements or not – we’ll just have to see if that will work with what we want to do.

-Lol this statement above will get a few upset, but digesting his statement in full will show that he is not talking about the randomness that was in Doa4. Balance and solid have no room for randomness. If randomness occur, it would be something more the lines of a "stage shift" not producing a regular set of patterns at each occurrence.

Edit:Hoping that I am correct. Do not want another Doa4.

I believe you're correct Virtua Pai, I got the same read on his comments as you. I take his comments very positively in terms of how they are approaching the game. Keep the base, make it solid and rewarding for hardcore players, while advancing the fighting genre with interesting elements that increase the spectacle.

I GOT YOU IN A CRITICAL STUN, OH YOU COUNTERED? THATS OK HERE HAVE AN OFFENSIVE I JUST GOT HIT BY A TIGER CAR SHARK ON FIRE!!!!!

We’re sure some people will hear “fighting entertainment” and think we’re just trying to put together some lame fighting game with no depth whatsoever. I assure you, that is not our intention.
But what will probably end up happening unless all of Team Ninja has some kind of miraculous revelation.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD