Characters Hayate in DOA5:LR

NinjaDon

Alright. Here's what I've got to say. As a Hayate main, I feel often that Hayate is a ninja who is very much in the shadow of the other ninjas (Kasumi, Hayabusa and Ayane). I feel like he has some good tools but I need help from everyone who plays or has knowledge on Hayate to input on this thread. I'm by no means a competitive player, just a casual player who wants to know how they can better themselves against other players. I am also hoping that this can help other people in a similar situation to me and even teach more experienced players new things. :hayate:

TheRealCoxinator

Alright. Here's what I've got to say. As a Hayate main, I feel often that Hayate is a ninja who is very much in the shadow of the other ninjas (Kasumi, Hayabusa and Ayane). I feel like he has some good tools but I need help from everyone who plays or has knowledge on Hayate to input on this thread. I'm by no means a competitive player, just a casual player who wants to know how they can better themselves against other players. I am also hoping that this can help other people in a similar situation to me and even teach more experienced players new things. :hayate:
I wish Rabies frequented here. Generally the most effective way of playing Hayate is like how master plays Ryu.

NinjaDon

I wish Rabies frequented here. Generally the most effective way of playing Hayate is like how master plays Ryu.
I know I might sound like a noob but is Rabies the streamer? If he is I never knew he played with Hayate...
Also, how can you play Hayate like how Master plays Ryu when Hayate's so slow??

TheRealCoxinator

I know I might sound like a noob but is Rabies the streamer? If he is I never knew he played with Hayate...
Also, how can you play Hayate like how Master plays Ryu when Hayate's so slow??
He is faster lol, master plays very offensively, while mixing it up and pressuring super hard. Also yah rabies the streamer.

TheRealCoxinator

For real? Damn, shows how much I really know..

P.S it would be nice if we also got some replays and stuff to study and learn from...
Next time Rabies streams, just ask him to play Hayate. Also I think a few weeks ago he did a lobby with master, might be able to find it in his archives for twitch.

Allan Paris

@NinjaDon
It is outdated with sub-par quality but I did put out a beginner tutorial on this character. The thread is in this sub-forum for Hayate and it is pinned. I do not know where your skill level is exactly but from the sounds of it the video I have can take you a long way. At least until you start knowing what to do and what not to do against other characters.

I can list and explain tools to you all day but if you are having problems with players and whatever habits they have, the character they are using is the least of your problems. Me explaining tools to you would be pointless. You can better yourself against other players by understanding what you are playing and executing the simple stuff. You can consistently beat majority of the players with the basic knowledge of the system you are playing in.

Although, if you do not want to do any of the stuff I just recommended. Give me specific details as far as what you need help with and I can attempt to help you from there. What you have in the OP is vague and it seems like this stuff has already been posted before, a thread asking for help with him.

NinjaDon

@NinjaDon
It is outdated with sub-par quality but I did put out a beginner tutorial on this character. The thread is in this sub-forum for Hayate and it is pinned. I do not know where your skill level is exactly but from the sounds of it the video I have can take you a long way. At least until you start knowing what to do and what not to do against other characters.

I can list and explain tools to you all day but if you are having problems with players and whatever habits they have, the character they are using is the least of your problems. Me explaining tools to you would be pointless. You can better yourself against other players by understanding what you are playing and executing the simple stuff. You can consistently beat majority of the players with the basic knowledge of the system you are playing in.

Although, if you do not want to do any of the stuff I just recommended. Give me specific details as far as what you need help with and I can attempt to help you from there. What you have in the OP is vague and it seems like this stuff has already been posted before, a thread asking for help with him.

Could you help me defensively against Ayane and Kasumi? And I will check your beginner tutorial!

Zero-chan

Wow this is actually what I needed, I really want to improve using Hayate so yea thx for tag. I really hope I learn something lol XD

Allan Paris

Could you help me defensively against Ayane
This depends on what the Ayane player is doing to you. Most Ayane players that I see playing use a hardcore rush-down tactic. If they are doing this they are making your job easy to kill them. Just wait them out because they are going to do something unsafe, and probably going to attack or hold out of it. So you keep punish throwing them for that. Like Kasumi, when Ayane is unsafe it is real bad. Most of the time you can go for 10i throws or higher. Hayate's 10i just so happens to setup pressure on wake up.

Do not use any type of SS when you are defending against her. You are asking to be Counter blown/thrown majority of the time for attempting to. Her string manipulation on block can be easily read just so as long as you are patient and are aware of her strings. For example: 6K2K (a string the lot of them love to use), ducking kills this string because there is not a mid follow up. Online 6K into a low throw is a tactic that does not work in the real world where Fuzzy Guarding can be done properly. So do not get too upset about being caught by that. You have to go into sparring and figure out the rest.

When she is at max screen and a player opts to roll to you for her throw or the mid kick. Press 3K and that stops that movement from being a threat. You stop her before any of the options become active to hit or throw you. The stun you get is a Back Turned Stand Up Stun. You have guaranteed options after the stun.

If you are playing an Ayane who is solid, patience is the key to your victory. She is a good character and there is not a way to run her over when she is played correctly. So you will need to know what her strings are, and recognize them while playing against her. Know what the player is spacing with and how to advance around it. Hayate has Range as well so you are not completely at her mercy if distance is involved. While she is moving and trying to bait you to move or hit a button I suggest staying away from high attacks. She will evade them more than likely.

Again, all this depends on what the Ayane player is doing to you. That stuff is just general information and I can sit here type for a while on various different tactics to counter play her when going against her. Overall, learn what her strings are so you can hold her better, and punish her hard when something unsafe is done to you. With doing that alone, you will start to weed out who is good and who is just annoying when playing with her because they are all over the place throwing stuff out.

Could you help me defensively against Kasumi
The same thing can be done to Kasumi. Just wait her out and throw punish her. It is worse for Kasumi because she has to sit in your face and attack whereas Ayane can run away a lot easier. So you do not have the chase down factor with Kausmi. Just wait her out, 9/10 when she is done with a string it is unsafe.

In the event you come across one that is poking at you and not finishing too much of anything. Try to create some distance between the two of you. His 4P+K4 is a great tool for this, or crushing her with 4P. If you are successful at creating distance do not be eager to give up the space you worked hard to get by doing a predicable 3H+K or 214P. You will start your headache all over again being next to her. SS Kasumi is just as big of a problem as SS Ayane. Kasumi tracks after the 2nd hit in most of her stings, as well as having good initial tracking options (P+K and 6K to name a couple). If Kasumi is throwing you often in the neutral game you will open yourself up to being Counter Thrown as well.

When she rushes you down from max screen, as long as there is not a wall behind you. 4P+K4 works well against her. At range there is not much she can do to Hayate. So be patient and pay attention to her and poke at her effectively from range especially if she is whiffing attacks to get close to you. Kasumi is a good character and there is nothing you can do to shut her out completely when she is played correctly. Knowing her strings helps a great deal but that helps with any character you face.

I can tell you more but this depends on what a player is doing to you. More than likely doing basic stuff, like: throw punishing, whiff punishing, and holding correctly, and slow escaping will allow you to put away most of the stuff you are having problems with.

I do not mean to come off as rude or negative to you, though, I am sure if I watched you play you probably lack in all 4 of those categories. So build on that and you will see what I am talking about. I know sparring is boring for a lot of people but, it is there for a reason.

Zero-chan

How can I be more offensive with Hayate? Like I'm always on the defensive and less on offensive plus almost every move I make is a bit repetitive, how can I also be a little unpredictable? If possible that is lol

Allan Paris

How can I be more offensive with Hayate? Like I'm always on the defensive and less on offensive plus almost every move I make is a bit repetitive, how can I also be a little unpredictable? If possible that is lol

When you get a stun open up all the offense you want. Stun;Launch Stun;Throw scenarios are solid with him, and if you play in the stun game a bit the combo and juggle damage is solid as well. Playing off into the stun game will get repetitive with him because he does not have much as far as mix up goes. I briefly mentioned this in the tutorial I made for him. However, when you are ready to launch he picks up a great deal of mix up. I suggest thinking outside of the box when you want to launch. You will launch players often doing that with him because it is not what is normally used to launch with him. Doing this also helps see how players are holding when they mis-hold on the launcher you used. So setting up throw scenarios become a lot easier.

When you do not have a stun, you need to play defensive first to start an offense. Unless your opponent is not well versed when playing against Hayate. You can do whatever you want until they show you otherwise. Against a player who knows he does not have much to offer as far string manipulation on block, you will need to poke and try to score his Command SS punch on CH. Do the command SS after you have figured out when you should place the SS. He has crush attacks you can poke with but, again, you need to know where to put them when you are up close.

Up close you can try and start an offense with: 1K (it is unsafe), 4P, (Hold)3P, 33K, his Coomand SSP crouch techs in the first few frames of the SS making the SSP seem like a crush, 8P (this acts weird sometimes as a crush), 214P is a great crush move but at a close range I do not advise using it because precision is not even the word to describe how to get this move to crush at point blank range while a player is string delaying. If you ever become advanced enough with him, having this in arsenal of things to start an offense with is really good to have.

Some of those can be done from range so keep that in mind.

It is hard not being predicable with him pre-stun. During stun you are a lot better off but not by much if someone is paying attention to you. You need to have a strong sense of what's going to not feel handicapped the way you are feeling with him. It is not easy winning with him because in this strong offensive game, it is hard to get a grasp on playing defense to mount an offense and keep that going, for most players.

NinjaDon

This depends on what the Ayane player is doing to you. Most Ayane players that I see playing use a hardcore rush-down tactic. If they are doing this they are making your job easy to kill them. Just wait them out because they are going to do something unsafe, and probably going to attack or hold out of it. So you keep punish throwing them for that. Like Kasumi, when Ayane is unsafe it is real bad. Most of the time you can go for 10i throws or higher. Hayate's 10i just so happens to setup pressure on wake up.

Do not use any type of SS when you are defending against her. You are asking to be Counter blown/thrown majority of the time for attempting to. Her string manipulation on block can be easily read just so as long as you are patient and are aware of her strings. For example: 6K2K (a string the lot of them love to use), ducking kills this string because there is not a mid follow up. Online 6K into a low throw is a tactic that does not work in the real world where Fuzzy Guarding can be done properly. So do not get too upset about being caught by that. You have to go into sparring and figure out the rest.

When she is at max screen and a player opts to roll to you for her throw or the mid kick. Press 3K and that stops that movement from being a threat. You stop her before any of the options become active to hit or throw you. The stun you get is a Back Turned Stand Up Stun. You have guaranteed options after the stun.

If you are playing an Ayane who is solid, patience is the key to your victory. She is a good character and there is not a way to run her over when she is played correctly. So you will need to know what her strings are, and recognize them while playing against her. Know what the player is spacing with and how to advance around it. Hayate has Range as well so you are not completely at her mercy if distance is involved. While she is moving and trying to bait you to move or hit a button I suggest staying away from high attacks. She will evade them more than likely.

Again, all this depends on what the Ayane player is doing to you. That stuff is just general information and I can sit here type for a while on various different tactics to counter play her when going against her. Overall, learn what her strings are so you can hold her better, and punish her hard when something unsafe is done to you. With doing that alone, you will start to weed out who is good and who is just annoying when playing with her because they are all over the place throwing stuff out.

The same thing can be done to Kasumi. Just wait her out and throw punish her. It is worse for Kasumi because she has to sit in your face and attack whereas Ayane can run away a lot easier. So you do not have the chase down factor with Kausmi. Just wait her out, 9/10 when she is done with a string it is unsafe.

In the event you come across one that is poking at you and not finishing too much of anything. Try to create some distance between the two of you. His 4P+K4 is a great tool for this, or crushing her with 4P. If you are successful at creating distance do not be eager to give up the space you worked hard to get by doing a predicable 3H+K or 214P. You will start your headache all over again being next to her. SS Kasumi is just as big of a problem as SS Ayane. Kasumi tracks after the 2nd hit in most of her stings, as well as having good initial tracking options (P+K and 6K to name a couple). If Kasumi is throwing you often in the neutral game you will open yourself up to being Counter Thrown as well.

When she rushes you down from max screen, as long as there is not a wall behind you. 4P+K4 works well against her. At range there is not much she can do to Hayate. So be patient and pay attention to her and poke at her effectively from range especially if she is whiffing attacks to get close to you. Kasumi is a good character and there is nothing you can do to shut her out completely when she is played correctly. Knowing her strings helps a great deal but that helps with any character you face.

I can tell you more but this depends on what a player is doing to you. More than likely doing basic stuff, like: throw punishing, whiff punishing, and holding correctly, and slow escaping will allow you to put away most of the stuff you are having problems with.

I do not mean to come off as rude or negative to you, though, I am sure if I watched you play you probably lack in all 4 of those categories. So build on that and you will see what I am talking about. I know sparring is boring for a lot of people but, it is there for a reason.

Thank you for all the advice. You didn't come off as rude, it was helpful and honest. I'll try to use sparring more and I'll try to learn Kasumi and Ayane's strings.

Zero-chan

When you aight thx for the get a stun open up all the offense you want. Stun;Launch Stun;Throw scenarios are solid with him, and if you play in the stun game a bit the combo and juggle damage is solid as well. Playing off into the stun game will get repetitive with him because he does not have much as far as mix up goes. I briefly mentioned this in the tutorial I made for him. However, when you are ready to launch he picks up a great deal of mix up. I suggest thinking outside of the box when you want to launch. You will launch players often doing that with him because it is not what is normally used to launch with him. Doing this also helps see how players are holding when they mis-hold on the launcher you used. So setting up throw scenarios become a lot easier.

When you do not have a stun, you need to play defensive first to start an offense. Unless your opponent is not well versed when playing against Hayate. You can do whatever you want until they show you otherwise. Against a player who knows he does not have much to offer as far string manipulation on block, you will need to poke and try to score his Command SS punch on CH. Do the command SS after you have figured out when you should place the SS. He has crush attacks you can poke with but, again, you need to know where to put them when you are up close.

Up close you can try and start an offense with: 1K (it is unsafe), 4P, (Hold)3P, 33K, his Coomand SSP crouch techs in the first few frames of the SS making the SSP seem like a crush, 8P (this acts weird sometimes as a crush), 214P is a great crush move but at a close range I do not advise using it because precision is not even the word to describe how to get this move to crush at point blank range while a player is string delaying. If you ever become advanced enough with him, having this in arsenal of things to start an offense with is really good to have.

Some of those can be done from range so keep that in mind.

It is hard not being predicable with him pre-stun. During stun you are a lot better off but not by much if someone is paying attention to you. You need to have a strong sense of what's going to not feel handicapped the way you are feeling with him. It is not easy winning with him because in this strong offensive game, it is hard to get a grasp on playing defense to mount an offense and keep that going, for most players.

Aiight thx for the advice. Where can I find your tutorial? o:

NinjaDon

Aiight thx for the advice. Where can I find your tutorial? o:

It's in the Hayate Beginner Tutorial thread just above this one, it's quite helpful. Also, do you want to maybe spar sometime? Us Hayate players need to help each other...

Zero-chan

It's in the Hayate Beginner Tutorial thread just above this one, it's quite helpful. Also, do you want to maybe spar sometime? Us Hayate players need to help each other...

Sure would love to lol
What system though? I only have a 360....

Zero-chan

Where do I find the thread though? I'm still new to FSD lol XD

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD