Hayate Teleport vs Wake up Kicks

Shodaku

Impressive combo! I never considered using the teleport as an anti-WUK tactic. I just tried it out in training mode, it does take some solid timing: if I teleport before the training dummy starts the WUK then the dummy will turn and hit me when I get to the other side. I'm also going to have to practice that combo itself, I'm realizing my Hayate juggles are leaving a lot of damage on the table as I'm not getting in quite that many hits.

Let me compare notes with you on the other tactics I use when my opponent is on their back, please let me know if I'm missing any other ones:

Beat both High/Low WUK:
236P: my default if I have enough room, gets both low and high kicks. Unsafe on block so I try to only use it when I see the kick coming. You have to position yourself at mid-range a bit outside their WUK's hit zone.

I used to think this was a guaranteed wake up kick killer, but I've ran into a situation using the same tech with Ein where I've been mid-countered. It's strange because on my screen it looks like my fist is hitting my opponent's foot, but I still got countered by 2 different opponents so I don't think it was just a lag glitch. Regardless this is still the best overall one I've found.

Beat Low WUK Only:
3H+K: one of my favorite conditioning moves anyway, as most skilled opponents I've fought like countering after the opening kick so I've got some quality damage by hitting just the 3H+K, stopping the string, and 33T'ing them from there. One the downside it's massively unsafe on block (-15) so if I guess wrong and my opponent is awake I'm taking some punishment.

214K: this doesn't have the mixup potential of 3H+K, but it's +2 on block so if I do end up hitting my opponent's guard I have advantage on the next move. It's good for pressuring even if I suspect my opponent isn't going to WUK

214PPP: also unsafe on block, though not as bad as 3H+K. Decent damage launcher if you free cancel after 214PP then do PP6K while they're mid-air.

Beat High WUK Only:
2H+K: this sweep is more for style points than actually being worth much, but I like to use it for variety's sake. You have to be spaced out to mid-range to get them with it, though set right you'll get more range off of it than they will from their high WUK so you can interrupt it. Opponents also like to hold after 2H+K (in my experience) so I've also got high counter damage out of opening with this. Works identically for Ein as with the 236P.

samuraihachi

Standard Donor
yeah those are all definitely viable options against WUKs. 9KKK I've seen also crushes WUKs as well. I used to use it but I feel its too much risk. The timing for the teleport set up is a bit strict but if you are successful in landing that 3K, everything after that is guaranteed. No matter how fast they stagger escape, nothing they can do. You get free 40-50 points of damage. If you want to pressure them more, the first combo in the video would be better since it puts you closer to the opponent. If you want to space them out more, then the second combo is better.

EDIT: Hory shet! My thread got front-paged. Didn't see that coming.
Cool.

Last edited:

WAZAAAAA

Looks similar to the classic Ayane 7P/BT9 tech but less reliable. Land on opponent's back > launcher > juggle. Not necessarily used against Rising Kicks.

Did you guys ever pull it off in a real match? The timing to do it seems to be way too strict considering how freely delayable and unpredictable the wake up game can be!

Anyway, I've spent some time analyzing this move for this thread. Some 66P+K_6 frame data:
Code:
14~25	of charge frames. Counter Hit multiplier. ~ means cancellable range, cancelling right after the 14th frame is the easiest and most common timing
7	of teleport "startup". Counter Hit multiplier. This is the only part that is shown in the Move Details list.
33	of teleport recovery. Normal Hit multiplier. The actual teleport occurs on the 1st frame of this animation.

TL;DR-but-inaccurate-version:
Hayate's teleport is 21(1)32

samuraihachi

Standard Donor
You bring up a good point. Yes, its true WUKs are delayable and unpredictable, but so is Hayate's teleport. You can charge 66P+K6 to delay the teleport, or you can go for the mid-punch followup which guard breaks, if you anticipate that they won't go for a WUK and will just stand up to block. I have gotten some people with this tech before, though I have not saved any replays. While it can be difficult to land this setup, I'd say the more options you have, the better. If you fully anticipate they will go for a WUK, it wouldn't hurt to try this out as you can potentially get great damage for taking that risk.

x Sypher x

Impressive combo! I never considered using the teleport as an anti-WUK tactic. I just tried it out in training mode, it does take some solid timing: if I teleport before the training dummy starts the WUK then the dummy will turn and hit me when I get to the other side. I'm also going to have to practice that combo itself, I'm realizing my Hayate juggles are leaving a lot of damage on the table as I'm not getting in quite that many hits.

Let me compare notes with you on the other tactics I use when my opponent is on their back, please let me know if I'm missing any other ones:

Beat both High/Low WUK:
236P: my default if I have enough room, gets both low and high kicks. Unsafe on block so I try to only use it when I see the kick coming. You have to position yourself at mid-range a bit outside their WUK's hit zone.

I used to think this was a guaranteed wake up kick killer, but I've ran into a situation using the same tech with Ein where I've been mid-countered. It's strange because on my screen it looks like my fist is hitting my opponent's foot, but I still got countered by 2 different opponents so I don't think it was just a lag glitch. Regardless this is still the best overall one I've found.

Beat Low WUK Only:
3H+K: one of my favorite conditioning moves anyway, as most skilled opponents I've fought like countering after the opening kick so I've got some quality damage by hitting just the 3H+K, stopping the string, and 33T'ing them from there. One the downside it's massively unsafe on block (-15) so if I guess wrong and my opponent is awake I'm taking some punishment.

214K: this doesn't have the mixup potential of 3H+K, but it's +2 on block so if I do end up hitting my opponent's guard I have advantage on the next move. It's good for pressuring even if I suspect my opponent isn't going to WUK

214PPP: also unsafe on block, though not as bad as 3H+K. Decent damage launcher if you free cancel after 214PP then do PP6K while they're mid-air.

Beat High WUK Only:
2H+K: this sweep is more for style points than actually being worth much, but I like to use it for variety's sake. You have to be spaced out to mid-range to get them with it, though set right you'll get more range off of it than they will from their high WUK so you can interrupt it. Opponents also like to hold after 2H+K (in my experience) so I've also got high counter damage out of opening with this. Works identically for Ein as with the 236P.

Here's another option

Beats both Mid/Low WUK:
3K: If done at just the right frame during the WUK you will beat it out. It's very risky however due to the super strict timing, so use with caution. But it's very rewarding when you can pull it off.

xAs_Onex

Why not just do 4p+k as an anti wake up kick option? It spaces out the wake up kick perfectly and crushes it if you use it well. That way you don't have to guess if your opponent is going to do a wake up kick or not to get the teleport into back turn 3k. Also 4p+k is -4 on block, +3 fully charged (although reactable), and if you can hit your opponent by the wall that's a free wall combo just because they decided to wake up kick. Not taking anything from your set up I just feel like 4p+k is slept on.

WAZAAAAA

Why not just do 4p+k as an anti wake up kick option? It spaces out the wake up kick perfectly and crushes it if you use it well. That way you don't have to guess if your opponent is going to do a wake up kick or not to get the teleport into back turn 3k. Also 4p+k is -4 on block, +3 fully charged (although reactable), and if you can hit your opponent by the wall that's a free wall combo just because they decided to wake up kick. Not taking anything from your set up I just feel like 4p+k is slept on.
you're right 4P+K master race I do it with Hayabusa since DOA2U

NightWolf

Hey can anyone tell me how to do hayates teleport without stringing it into a combo? Like just the teleport by itself? I recently started playing again but can't remember how to do it.

EmeryReigns

Standard Donor
Hey can anyone tell me how to do hayates teleport without stringing it into a combo? Like just the teleport by itself? I recently started playing again but can't remember how to do it.
The input that you are looking for is his 66P+k6. (Forward-forward, Punch+Kick, Forward) You can just mash the last forward input as many time as you'd like, that's how I do it to make sure I don't get the mid punch version without the teleport.

NightWolf

The input that you are looking for is his 66P+k6. (Forward-forward, Punch+Kick, Forward) You can just mash the last forward input as many time as you'd like, that's how I do it to make sure I don't get the mid punch version without the teleport.
thanks buddy. Could not remember that for the life of me for some reason.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD