Hitomi Match Up and Strategy Thread

Chris Harris

This thread will be used to discuss Hitomi's general strategy (footsies, pokes, etc) and match ups against the cast. The posts I have reserved (hopefully enough) will be where all the information for match ups and the strategies will be so before asking a question please check the OP's.

Paradise

Id really appreciate some general Hitomi strategies. I have her juggles down but I'm lacking her pokes, stun game, etc.

AngryWorm

The only 'match ups' I really feel comfortable posting about are Jann Lee and Mila since I have a good amount of experience against them offline (and online). I might type something up, it's a bit depressing seeing the lack of... well, anything for Hitomi when other character forums are so active.

:hitomi:

Chris Harris

Although other forums are pretty busy it's full of nothingness honestly. I have written 3 beginner guides for 3 characters thus far. . .I feel like I might end up writing one for the entire cast at this rate lol.

People just don't know how to play characters in this game or use the system. So there is either a ton of bad info out there or straight up wrong info. I'm trying to give basic stuff to help people understand how to use the character(s) but most are probably disregarding it lol

AngryWorm

Yeah. I'm hesitant to share 'my' tech on match ups. It might be best for me to keep quiet at the risk of providing 'bad' information, but if anything it could generate some interesting discussion.

Chris Harris

There is a difference between bad info and general knowledge. Share away man we can discuss it! It's bad info when you pass off things like people being jedi's and holding everything and there's no way you could use this move because they will always step it. There are moves like that in the game but the game itself moves entirely too fast to react to so many different variables.

Example - "Hitomi sweeps get blocked 100% of the time offline, so you should never use them"

That is the worst advice to give a player because now he believes he can't use a tool that was designed for the character to use.

So if you want to share some knowledge or ask some questions go for it man.

innovare

The only 'match ups' I really feel comfortable posting about are Jann Lee and Mila since I have a good amount of experience against them offline (and online). I might type something up, it's a bit depressing seeing the lack of... well, anything for Hitomi when other character forums are so active.

:hitomi:

Please, post! You're one of the best Hitomi players I've fought over the past few years, and I for one could definitely use some anti-Mila tips. Jefffcore more or less owned me with her the other day haha.

If anything it'll get some discussion going!

AngryWorm

Please, post! You're one of the best Hitomi players I've fought over the past few years, and I for one could definitely use some anti-Mila tips. Jefffcore more or less owned me with her the other day haha.

If anything it'll get some discussion going!

Jefffcore will know the Hitomi match up as well as I know the Mila one. We've played that match up almost exclusively for close to 10 hours now.

I had it all typed up, clicked submit, and then my laptop decided it was going to power off. There's an hour of my life I'm never getting back so here's a cheap and cheerful version.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hitomi vs Mila (pre-patch)

Honestly I think this is a a match up that is in Hitomi's favor, but you need to be careful as Mila feeds off of your mistakes. The biggest thing that you need to watch out for is Mila's SS-tackle. It beats out a lot of Hitomi's best pokes/approach tools (:236::P:, :236::K:, :4::6::P:) and can make approaching her a bit of a guessing game. Mila also has a mid-kick that can make running in and grabbing risky, but it generally loses to Hitomi's other approach options.

You need to respect her side-step, but not be afraid of it. Feigning in/out and playing strong footsies can generally get Mila to show you how she's going to react to your approaches. Bait out the kick or side-step and you can get on her and start your offensive game. :6::6::K: mix ups work very well for getting in, especially with the :2::K: which will track if Mila side-steps, however it's a bit inconsistent and very much dependent on timing.

Once you are in Hitomi's :2: :P: and :1: :P: (might be a bad habit from DOA4 but w/e) are very effective tools. Her 2p gives Hitomi +1 which makes it difficult for Mila to attack you and in generally is just good. I personally see situational value in :1: :P: since it tracks Mila's sidestep, which can be very handy since Mila lives/dies by her SS in this match up. In general Mila will wait for you to start a string of linear attacks and try to SS tackle you. This makes attacks that track (:2::P+K: {use sparingly}, :6::P::K: {punch will miss, kick will track}, strings with :2::K:, etc) invaluable. Forward grab is also a good tool for continuing pressure.

Just a warning - be careful about using unsafe lows. They're useful, but don't just spam the crap out of them. Mila can get a grab, which leads into guaranteed damage, which leads into her ground grapple.

IF Mila does side-step and tackle you, you have two options. One is to try and break the grab, and the other is to do nothing and take the damage. Unless you absolutely cannot afford to lose the life, I would highly recommend just taking the damage. Mila's low/mid jab mix up will beat out anything Hitomi can do, and if you try to counter out of it you run the risk of her grabbing you, getting a ton of guaranteed damage, and then essentially resetting you. The options you'll gain by not breaking the grab are worth the damage you take.

If you find you're struggling to get any sort of pressure on Mila, make her come to you. Hitomi can keep decent pressure in this match up, but that doesn't mean she should go charging in like a maniac. Most of Mila's good distance closers are mid-kicks, and in general, I find they aren't very good. The attack where she throws herself legs first (don't know the input) is safe so be wary of a follow up afterwords (side step, attack, etc). Otherwise, Mila struggles to rush-down Hitomi.

Here's a video of a ft3 between Jefffcore and myself. It was pre-patch, so I don't know how useful it is now. It might give you some ideas/tips. I didn't mention Hitomi's SS options because I don't find them especially useful in this match up.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hope that's a decent starting place anyways

innovare

Hope that's a decent starting place anyways

And then some! Thanks for the post, lots of good info. I agree about taking the damage on the side-step grab rather than breaking it, you're at a relatively big disadvantage after the break and Mila's got several options to choose from. No use putting yourself into that guessing game unnecessarily.

As time goes on, I expect more and more Mila players will intentionally let you break the grab. It's a great way to get some frame advantage over an unsuspecting opponent, and they get to avoid the wake-up kick/ground game completely. Might be something to watch out for.

Doug Nguyen

So true. If i rush people when they make distance i always end up losing. The big problem i have with Mila are her quick punches, cant tell if they are mid or high. Shes got good low fast hits. Her mount tends to be the death of me, happens way to often, and more than half my health comes from those take downs. If you dont get up fast enough, there goes another grab. She seems to good with strikes for a fighter with good grapples. Shes like a super hybrid. I dont play as Mila, but from what i see, she seems really safe. I almost never get a throw punish against her.

AngryWorm

So true. If i rush people when they make distance i always end up losing. The big problem i have with Mila are her quick punches, cant tell if they are mid or high.

Hitomi's parry will shut down both options and also does a good job neutering her strings, which mostly start with punches. Also puts Hitomi in the offensive position.

At one point or another Mila is going to make the right read and tackle you. It's not the end of the world, but you need to keep your wit about you. If you break out unnecessarily you're setting yourself up for potentially eating a ton of damage.

innovare

Am I wrong, or is Brad Wong a really bad matchup for Hitomi? His high crush string interrupts are giving me a lot of trouble. I guess I'm just using the wrong moves or something.

Raansu

Am I wrong, or is Brad Wong a really bad matchup for Hitomi? His high crush string interrupts are giving me a lot of trouble. I guess I'm just using the wrong moves or something.

Space him out and abuse 3f+k on him. 3k,6k,6pk, p+k and 3p+k pretty much stop him in his tracks. Throwing out mids in general just stops him. He's too reliant on lows and 4pp/4pk setups and his lay downs. If he starts laying down space him out and smack him with 3f+k or just hit him with 2p as he's going into the lay down.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD