Horizon Zero Dawn

Tyaren

Standard Donor
Serious question, why does every game need a day one patch now a days?

Rushed out the door at the last minute and there are still lots of bugs/glitches or missing content. :/

Which shows that HZD is just half as rushed. XD No, actually internal testing showed that Sony was in fact very confident with the game and they sent review copies out more than two weeks before release, which is a rarity today, and on coming Monday the review embargo is lifted one week before release, which is also a rarity. :)

Lets have another epic gif to celebrate the new page! :D

g0a4WIJ.gif

Tyaren

Standard Donor
Horizon Zero Dawn's first review was released!
It actually broke the review embargo (which lifts on Monday), so the site is down again but people grabbed a screenshot before. :)

ertjejerketketkrlfku41.jpg

Reads amazing and the pictures look sooo beautiful. O:

Edit: Found one of the pics in better quality:

2httI5w.jpg

Last edited:

Tyaren

Standard Donor
Is seriously no one replying in here...? >_<

Well, here's the beautiful title menu of the game with some of ist music:

@Jadeinchains, isn't this the most beautiful title menu, that you have ever seen? :D

Jadeinchains

Lol next your going to show me a picture of a stick and ask me if that's the most beautiful! XD

Honestly though there's a lot of gorgeous menus in games, its something that might be over looked. I'm sure I've seen prettier though. :p still looks great though.

Also the last picture in your other post with the bright light coming through the trees looks like an alien abduction.

MeadowSpirit

Kinda Funny Games just released their spoiler-free review and Colin thinks Horizon is PS4's best game! I was already excited, now I'm dying for this game (even though I'm still playing Nioh and Gravity Rush 2, and love them both).

Tyaren

Standard Donor
Kinda Funny Games just released their spoiler-free review and Colin thinks Horizon is PS4's best game! I was already excited, now I'm dying for this game (even though I'm still playing Nioh and Gravity Rush 2, and love them both).

Aww...since I am basically the only one who kept this thread alive and who was really caring for the game here I wanted to convey (with some satisfication I have to admit) that Horizon Zero Dawn actually is fucking amazing! The review embargo was lifted earlier today and the game is getting 9/10 across the board and even some 10/10. The Story, Aloy, the gameplay, the game world and graphics are highly praised. Yeah, some say it is the PS4's best exclusive.

Funnily enough I was just watching Kinda Funny Game's review just now as well. Here it is:

I guess it is a very good in-depth review without spoilers and without gameplay footage for whoever wants to experience the game completely fresh or is on media black out.

So happy HZD is fucking...

sSwWOxu.gif

...slaying! :D

VG24/7:
"Horizon Zero Dawn is going to make other open-world developers sick with envy.

It is The Witcher 3 of post-post-apocalyptic robo-dino adventures; it is the sort of thing Ubisoft will wish you had never seen if it dares to release another time-sucking, glitch-filled Assassin’s Creed.

This is very probably the most flawless open world game ever made."

Last edited:

Tyaren

Standard Donor
Whoa! It's already almost releasing? I remembered march?

March 1st in EU. But I know a place where I usually get my games a couple of days early. ;)

By the way, Horizon's final trailer, the Launch Trailer, was just released:

So cool! :D Everyone can watch it, there are no spoilers in there. Just general impressions and some shamans dancing. XD

FaithfulPerkyDanishswedishfarmdog.gif

Last edited:

Tyaren

Standard Donor
WELLP I went out and preordered today. Gamestop's selling the game on monday night at 9pm but I don't have a ride so I'm gonna have to wait until Tuesday.

You won't regret it! :D It's amazing. I have been playing a couple of hours already. And this might relieve you a little: The beginning is a lot more focused and more tightly told than the Witcher 3, which had some problems to get started and stay focused...

Here are two screenshots, that I did. The rest I will upload in the graphics thread in the future. :)

32950961712_cd4aa8f0f1_o.png

32950987582_35e9e1fdee_o.png

Tyaren

Standard Donor
So you have the game now @Tyaren? If so, Enjoy! :D

Yes, as I said, I have been playing it for a couple of hours. The beginning is really great. They very cleverly throw you into action and bring the story and Aloy closer to you. FFXV's intro was absolutely amateurish and broken in comparison. XD Let's see if Guerilla Games keeps up the so far great pacing...

Jadeinchains

Yes, as I said, I have been playing it for a couple of hours. The beginning is really great. They very cleverly throw you into action and bring the story and Aloy closer to you. FFXV's intro was absolutely amateurish and broken in comparison. XD Let's see if Guerilla Games keeps up the so far great pacing...

Oh yeah lol, But yeah maybe I'll watch a video of it's opening to see. I'm guessing there's going to be a lot more pictures of it appearing in this thread now that chapsticks getting it too.

Tyaren

Standard Donor
So, lemme talk a bit about my experiences (without any spoilers of course!) from my time playing the game. :)
I've played about 5-6 hours and I just left the more restricted starting area (which is still pretty big and open) for the fully open world about an hour ago.
First of all, the visuals of Horizon are absolutely stunning, just as they promised. No stealth downgrades shortly before release for once. It's almost like experiencing a game on a new console generation for the first time, even though it is not a new console generation. It's similar to how GTAV felt when it first came out on PS3 and Xbox360. In size and pure detail is was way beyond all other open world games so far. The same thing applies to Horizon. It's basically Uncharted 4 visuals just on an open world scale. Just take a look at some of the screens that I already posted in the graphics thread:
http://www.freestepdodge.com/threads/the-art-style-and-graphics-discussion.5842/page-94

The story is really good and engaging so far. Compared to many other open world games, like The Witcher 3, Skyrim or Final Fantasy XV, the story is told tightly paced and you are effectively made familar with your main character and several others surrounding her. Early on I started caring for Aloy and her world and there are a lot of mysteries that you and Aloy want to unravel during the course of the game. Its really intriguing world and lore has definitely sparked my interest. I have the feeling there is much more to the game's story than what is visible on the surface right now. There are some hints in the game...and people, who have already played the game, suggest that.
Gameplay is great. It's very streamlined and if you want to be mean, you could say it shamelessly stole all the best mechanics from other games such as Far Cry, The Witcher, Uncharted and Zelda. It all blends very well together though, so who cares, right? ;)
Hunting the robot dinosaurs and gathering their parts is really fun. Especially the bigger, stronger and more challenging they get. They are also quite clever and if you don't use your brain and plan anhead, they will annihilate you. Human foes, which you encounter way less regularly however, are not so clever so far.
Overall the game is pretty challenging...but there is also an easy mode if that is too much for you. ;)
Side quests are fun too. There are no simple hunting or fetch quests or mindless mini games that are meant to pad the overall play time. There are fewer quests and activities as in other open world games, but all the quests and activities that are there are meaningful and rewarding.

Yeah, that's my early impression so far. :) Can't wait to play more. I actually like it a good deal more than FFXV, when I was 5-6 hours in there.

Last edited:

Tyaren

Standard Donor
Guys, I reached the Sundom (you know, sun and kingdom. Yeah, they call it that. XD)!

32788814080_0a6ababab2_o.png

33014739842_f4f4494fcb_o.png

And soon I'll reach Meridian, the biggest and most beautiful city in the game. I'm kinda excited... The people in the game are all the time gushing about that place. Especially the Carja, who are extremely proud of their capital.
I really love the game world and its different cultures that Guerilla Games have created. It's pure art and yet it feels real. They actually did a better job here than in any other recent open world fantasy RPG that I played. Yeah, imo better than Skyrim, The Witcher 3 or FFXV in regard to world building.

The robo dinosaurs keep wrecking me on easy... XD

Last edited:

Tyaren

Standard Donor
I reached Meridian. Wow... O: It actually exceeded my expectations. Which is a rare thing... It's bigger, livelier and much more gorgeous than I thought. Lol, Novigrad of the Witcher 3 feels like a slum compared to it. Meridian isn't nearly as big as Novigrad, maybe one third, once you are inside, but the imposing architecture, the culture, the sounds, the surroundings... It is now officially the most beautiful city in a game that I have played.
Now, I won't post any pictures of it for two reasons:
1) You have to experience it for yourself, in motion. Just approaching it is a sight to behold.
2) Photomode is very restricted in cities and I wouldn't get the right frames and angles if I wanted.

Also, you might be interested how the exclusive costumes and weapons of the Limited and Collectors Edition look like. Here, I took some pics:

32785512600_15881d0387_o.png

32322913374_3ed25a43a9_o.png

33011559982_00d20b01b5_o.png

33126486456_d3f6339f46_o.png

I think they look cool, but on Neogaf everyone thought they were ugly. XD Well, all the outfits in the game look a little outlandish...
I like that again they are typically in style of their respective tribe (Carja and Banuk). In Meridian I only wear the Carja outfit to not look like a Neanderthal among all the fancy people.

Last but not least. Guess who also got the game? :D Now, @Chapstick, don't be shy and post in here too, alright? :3

Last edited:
ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD