How long is the health bar?

I read in the ign guide that DOA 5 health bars are 300. Is this accurate, and if so do all characters have the same health bar length? Does health bar size change whether in tag or solo mode?

Forlorn Penguin

Premium Donor
I read in the ign guide that DOA 5 health bars are 300. Is this accurate, and if so do all characters have the same health bar length? Does health bar size change whether in tag or solo mode?

If you're on Normal setting, it's 300 in 1.02. It's 270 after 1.03. All characters have the same health. I believe it's the same in tag.

I have to say I'm surprised since when you look at the move damage in DOA it doesn't seem that much different than other similar fighting games, which have lower health bars. Tekken for example has 180 for its health bar. I still think that the length of DOA battles are fine though, even at 300.

Forlorn Penguin

Premium Donor
I have to say I'm surprised since when you look at the move damage in DOA it doesn't seem that much different than other similar fighting games, which have lower health bars. Tekken for example has 180 for its health bar. I still think that the length of DOA battles are fine though, even at 300.

Yeah, it only really gets annoying on Large or Largest, but the increase on Normal from 240 to 300 from previous games was unnecessary. I think 270 is fine though.

Theoretically speaking, what would a difference of 30 damage mean in a match? I suppose it is more significant when looking at poke damage, but don't most single throws and counters deal easily over 30 damage?

Rikuto

P-P-P-P-P-P-POWER!
Theoretically speaking, what does a difference of 30 damage mean in a match? I can understand it is more significant when looking at poke damage, but don't most single throws and counters deal easily over 30 damage?

You would be shocked. That could be as many as three additional chances inside of a stun to hold, depending on the circumstances.

Sam Sultan

Theoretically speaking, what would a difference of 30 damage mean in a match? I suppose it is more significant when looking at poke damage, but don't most single throws and counters deal easily over 30 damage?

Oh it certainly matters, i had plenty of fights in which after finishing a combo my opponent still had this microscopic amount of life left and i had to struggle for next 30 seconds to reduce that to zero.

Forlorn Penguin

Premium Donor
You would be shocked. That could be as many as three additional chances inside of a stun to hold, depending on the circumstances.
Oh it certainly matters, i had plenty of fights in which after finishing a combo my opponent still had this microscopic amount of life left and i had to struggle for next 30 seconds to reduce that to zero.

Ha ha, yeah. Both very true. As I said, I'm glad they lowered it. Now if only I could actually play 1.03A...

Ok sure, thanks a lot for the input guys, this has helped a lot.

Does anyone want to have a stab at suggesting/explaining to me why there is such a significant health bar difference between TK and DOA. When I look at the movelists the move damage seems to be similar in both games, but I suppose that that doesn't take into account combo and juggle damage. Anyone?

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
Basically the length of matches were too long. Additionally, you'd see more time outs at max time in Tag due to the bar length as it means it was 600 hp that had to be dealt on a regenerative bar. Post patch it's now 540 which is more complete-able in a tag match.

Basically the total life % of punishment and fear was too small. People felt they could make more mistakes at 300 hp over 270hp, that their decisions mattered more with a little more risk since their life bar decreased faster with every wrong choice.

Ok sure, thanks a lot for the input guys, this has helped a lot.

Does anyone want to have a stab at suggesting/explaining to me why there is such a significant health bar difference between TK and DOA. When I look at the movelists the move damage seems to be similar in both games, but I suppose that that doesn't take into account combo and juggle damage. Anyone?

I'm not familiar with damage revision in Tekken or its damage levels so I can't comment.

P1naatt1ke1tt0

I've watched plenty of Virtua Fighter matches online and it seems VF has the least life of this generation's 3D fighters... your life is gone very fast in that game. Tekken seems similar to 270 max DOA, so I figure the combos do less damage if the max health is 180. This is all based on feeling though (as a spectator, since I don't actually play those games).

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
I've watched plenty of Virtua Fighter matches online and it seems VF has the least life of this generation's 3D fighters... your life is gone very fast in that game. Tekken seems similar to 270 max DOA, so I figure the combos do less damage if the max health is 180. This is all based on feeling though (as a spectator, since I don't actually play those games).

Officially, VF's meter is at 220 points I believe. As an example of damage, Wolf's burning hammer "Offensive Hold" does 100 damage.

In Tekken the damage during juggles gets scaled down to 50% by the second hit, so maybe that's how they can get away with only 180 health. Is damage scaled down at all during combos in DOA?

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD