DOA5LR How to Fight Against Bass: From Scrubs to Pros

Kronin

This is really a masterpiece of guide, an overloading of infos even more worthy because coming as an anti-strategy for the main character of the author. Great job @UncleKitchener

Tulkas

Premium Donor
Me, too, man.

I'm working in Iran right now, but when I get back in a couple months, I'll get back into the game. I have a few people I'm teaching the game to. Wish you were with us.
BTW, 'm very glad you made this guide! Finally Bass to the world :) (and you should show up in tournament, I insist...) This guide sounded so familiar to me hahah! I already knew half of it, at least... Otherwise, I wasn't standed any chance against your Bass. OMG! Now I realized we should fought around 2 thousand offline matches already! :O Or perhaps much more heheh... Anyway, hope to fight you again by the end of this year my dear!

UncleKitchener

Standard Donor
BTW, 'm very glad you made this guide! Finally Bass to the world :) (and you should show up in tournament, I insist...) This guide sounded so familiar to me hahah! I already knew half of it, at least... Otherwise, I wasn't standed any chance against your Bass. OMG! Now I realized we should fought around 2 thousand offline matches already! :O Or perhaps much more heheh... Anyway, hope to fight you again by the end of this year my dear!
Lol

We need to practice English with you again. You seem a little rusty, amigo ;)

Lulu

I think its much more fun fighting against Bass than fighting with him...... Tina is the only Armstrong for Me.
Plus theres something I've always wanted to try against the AI, after he grabs me of the floor its usually a guess between an Offensive Hold or those Double Lows....... I wonder if I could beat both options with my Lil Hop Kick.

UncleKitchener

Standard Donor
I think its much more fun fighting against Bass than fighting with him...... Tina is the only Armstrong for Me.
Plus theres something I've always wanted to try against the AI, after he grabs me of the floor its usually a guess between an Offensive Hold or those Double Lows....... I wonder if I could beat both options with my Lil Hop Kick.

OHs beat hopkicks during startup, especially in this situation. He can beat out any strike attempt since he's +13 with fully tracking mids and lows. Hopkick is high. :8::K: is more ideal for beating lows and crush OHs, but that's slow enough to potentially get caught by anything, including OHs. :6::h::+::K: actually does not crush lows on the first few frames and also ends up being susceptible because the frame advantage after a pickup is too much and it's no fast enough to jump over OH attempts afterwards.

The only character that might have the chance to jump over OH attempts in Brad with :8::P::+::K:, I think. He can completely avoid BT mixups as well and take minimal damage.

Lulu

That sucks.... both Tina and Lisa's Hop Kicks are 15 Frames... oh well... looks like I'm back in the Blender.

His Catch Grab is 16 Frames right ?
And he is crouching when he does that Low Sweep ?
What if I just use a Low Offensive Hold ? It could dodge the throw and catch the low attack.... how fast is it anyway ?

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
That sucks.... both Tina and Lisa's Hop Kicks are 15 Frames... oh well... looks like I'm back in the Blender.

His Catch Grab is 16 Frames right ?
And he is crouching when he does that Low Sweep ?
What if I just use a Low Offensive Hold ? It could dodge the throw and catch the low attack.... how fast is it anyway ?

Tina's low offensive hold is 10i, which means it'd be 23i if you mash it after a pick up. Bass' 2P is 17i and his Power Gong (which is what I'm assuming you mean by 'double lows' is 'double 1Ps') is 22i. So in either case you'd be hit, even if personally speaking Bass shouldn't be doing 1P or 2P off of pick-up unless they've conditioned you to not look for it - in which case you wouldn't be prepared to throw out an OH you'd lose to anyway.

Bass players should be keeping it simple after a pick-up between mid-punch (6P or 33P), mid-kick (3K), throw (TFBB, Fireman's Carry, or Kitchen Sink), or Offensive hold (41236H+P or 66H+P).

Lulu

Tina's low offensive hold is 10i, which means it'd be 23i if you mash it after a pick up. Bass' 2P is 17i and his Power Gong (which is what I'm assuming you mean by 'double lows' is 'double 1Ps') is 22i. So in either case you'd be hit, even if personally speaking Bass shouldn't be doing 1P or 2P off of pick-up unless they've conditioned you to not look for it - in which case you wouldn't be prepared to throw out an OH you'd lose to anyway.

Bass players should be keeping it simple after a pick-up between mid-punch (6P or 33P), mid-kick (3K), throw (TFBB, Fireman's Carry, or Kitchen Sink), or Offensive hold (41236H+P or 66H+P).

how long does it take for the hold properties if an Offensive Hold to become active ? I mean even at disadvantage the hold still has a chance if winning because.... it is a hold after all. the actual active frames only matter against a blocking or an opponent doing nothing....

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
how long does it take for the hold properties if an Offensive Hold to become active ? I mean even at disadvantage the hold still has a chance if winning because.... it is a hold after all. the actual active frames only matter against a blocking or an opponent doing nothing....

The active frames are the active frames, that's when the hold properties become active.

Lulu

The active frames are the active frames, that's when the hold properties become active.

Are you sure ? I swear sometimes it beats out faster moves..... atleast it does when the AI does it.
I always use catch grabs at disadvantage.

UncleKitchener

Standard Donor
Are you sure ? I swear sometimes it beats out faster moves..... atleast it does when the AI does it.
I always use catch grabs at disadvantage.

Doing OHs during slight disadvantage (0 ~ -2) would mean that if your Tier 1 OH (16i) trades with a move with the same speed, you'd win the trade, since the active frames of an OH takes priority over a strike's active frames. This is why most OHs have 3 active frames and most strikes come with 2, just to make sure that OHs get the 1up over strikes in a trade.

Lulu

Doing OHs during slight disadvantage (0 ~ -2) would mean that if your Tier 1 OH (16i) trades with a move with the same speed, you'd win the trade, since the active frames of an OH takes priority over a strike's active frames. This is why most OHs have 3 active frames and most strikes come with 2, just to make sure that OHs get the 1up over strikes in a trade.

Well then whats a grappler to do at Disadvantage ? the start up on these throws is very very very long...... at 16 frames thats not even good at neutral.

UncleKitchener

Standard Donor
Well then whats a grappler to do at Disadvantage ? the start up on these throws is very very very long...... at 16 frames thats not even good at neutral.

Grapplers are Nitaku (mindgame) heavy. You can't expect to press buttons out of disadvantage and win most of them. OHs are used when you're at advantage as a conditioning tool to force an opponent to either duck or throw the next time so you can punish that for more damage than you'd get from OHs.

Slower OHs are there for unique and offensive purposes. The slower you get, the move unique types of OHs you get, but they can be heavily punishable if whiffed. They're there to be used in situations where you have loads of advantage or when you want to 'catch' someone doing a big move.

Lulu

Grapplers are Nitaku (mindgame) heavy. You can't expect to press buttons out of disadvantage and win most of them. OHs are used when you're at advantage as a conditioning tool to force an opponent to either duck or throw the next time so you can punish that for more damage than you'd get from OHs.

Slower OHs are there for unique and offensive purposes. The slower you get, the move unique types of OHs you get, but they can be heavily punishable if whiffed. They're there to be used in situations where you have loads of advantage or when you want to 'catch' someone doing a big move.

Yeah I noticed that.... that means the technique I've been working on is not as usefull (Buffering 66T In Block Stun and Side Steps) I was going to use this in the middle of strings. Like quick strings such as PP, the duration in between strikes is relatively short.

And whAts the story behind Nikatu ? I thought "Yomi" was the term for mind games (even though the direct translation for that is actually "reading").

UncleKitchener

Standard Donor
Yeah I noticed that.... that means the technique I've been working on is not as usefull (Buffering 66T In Block Stun and Side Steps) I was going to use this in the middle of strings. Like quick strings such as PP, the duration in between strikes is relatively short.

And whAts the story behind Nikatu ? I thought "Yomi" was the term for mind games (even though the direct translation for that is actually "reading").

Nitaku is all about the hard guesses such as the choice between a throw or big mid in VF. A two-choice situation, mostly. Hard to do properly in DOA compared to VF since there are not special high/mid/lows to beat 2Ps in a two-guess situation.

Yomi is a term used to describe the more general RPS. I read your read, but you read my read, etc.

Lulu

Nitaku is all about the hard guesses such as the choice between a throw or big mid in VF. A two-choice situation, mostly. Hard to do properly in DOA compared to VF since there are not special high/mid/lows to beat 2Ps in a two-guess situation.

Yomi is a term used to describe the more general RPS. I read your read, but you read my read, etc.

That is very intriguing. So I guess the appropriate English alternative would be an "Ultimatum" ? Maybe.

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor

Yomi is a connotation of the Japanese verb meaning "to read" (よむ). Obviously, it refers to reading someone's mind in the fighting game genre.

Nitaku just means "Two choices" (二択), and in layman's English we would most commonly call it a "50-50" or "coin flip".

So you use your understanding of your opponent's given situation and status to make a read on which of the two choices the opponent will most likely perform.

So after a pick-up, Bass is going to force a nitaku situation. Of course, he has many options, but there are two options he has that together will cover all options you have. He's either going to (1) perform a standing throw, or (2) perform a mid attack.

Now, he obviously has various options on which throw and which attack he will use, but in the end those two choices each would win him what the other might lose to. So it's called a Nitaku。

Last edited:
ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD