How to go about getting the RIGHT equipment for a DOA5 tourney? Monitors. Streams. The Works.

NukNuks

So I'm planning on a organizing a DOA5 tourney for my city within the next couple months to help keep competative nature of the game alive. This will be my first time organizing a tourney so I want to have other fighters presented at the tourney so that this can be a legit fighting game event.

What kind of monitors are acceptable to use for a fighting game tournament? I'm not pockets deep to go buy 5,6, or 7 monitors so does anyone know of any companies that rent these monitors out?

What streaming equipment is good for a fighting game tourney? Where can I buy/rent it?

Anything else I need to know?

daman077c

For things like monitors, you can go to most "Rent-to-own" stores like Rent-a-Center and Aaron's and rent the monitors; normally I see 20 inch displays being used, if not bigger.

For streaming, there is the Roxio Game Capture Pro, which runs $149.99. The "standard" card doesn't allow for streaming. You can get it at the Roxio site, and you may be able to get it cheaper from Amazon.

Considering this is in San Jose, depending on when it is and if I've got the money, I'll be there. ;)

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
Don't bite off more than you can chew.

It's better to build up than to overspend at the start.

But to answer your question about monitors. Go with Asus LCD monitors of around the 20-24" size. they' avg around $100-150 each

It also helps to advertise a discount or dismissal of venue fee if players bring in their own monitors/systems to the event. You may take a $20 loss on venue but you don't have to pay $100+ for gear.

Gill Hustle

Before you spend any money work on developing your scene meaning, find out about how many players you'll have.

At best I'd find out if any other local tournaments are happening and offer to run a DOA5 tourney alongside it and supply a set up or two.

I would bring the Alpha demo with me with my own monitor pre DOA5, and let people try it out while I participated in tournament:

DjDeathCool

But to answer your question about monitors. Go with Asus LCD monitors of around the 20-24" size. they' avg around $100-150 each

It's also worth mentioning that the "official EVO monitor" is an Asus LCD. So if you're going to spend money on monitors for a scene definitely buy Asus. It will make your little scene look legitimate to anyone who knows what they're dealing with. Now, as to whether or not your average, local, DoA player will know anything about monitors and input lag is questionable. However, it could help you gain some steam with other non-DoA players.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD