How's the netcode so far?

daman077c

I played some matches with A1R GEAR on the 360 earlier today that were 2-4 bars, and they were buttery smooth. I'm interested to see how it is later tonight.

Ghosty-J

I've run into more 4 bar players that's for certain. But I'm still not sure the netcode has been changed at all. Perhaps if I spend more time online I can form a better impression since the game as a whole feels totally different.

I've read that the VF players still complain that FS has bad network delay.
I've read the posts and I still facepalm at them saying the game has bad netcode. It's one of the best of its kind ._.

Tenryuga

Netcode is really terrible. Tell me how I block a wakeup kick from Momiji then get counter blown by her 6P right after I hit 3P?

Initial_R_

I dunno about you guys, but the netcode seems exactly the same to me. Which wasn't really bad at all. Maybe because I run FIOS or something, but I rarely had bad connections. And most of the time, the bad connection was because of the opponent's connection.

Akumasama

You cannot expect that of course, Initial_R_, yet there are games which under the same (or worse!) conditions performed better than DoA5 did.

Leifang2000

My experience, PS3, 3 bars or lower are extremely lag, whereas in DOA5, 3 bars are still playable.
Specific player, specific case maybe.

Ufle

the netcode is still shitty!!omg! they cant make a decent netcode in 2013.shame on team ninja!

TheTHCGamer

I've read that the VF players still complain that FS has bad network delay.
VF5FS had an amazing netcode and so did TTT2. Don't get me wrong online play will never be the same as offline play but as far as netcodes go for a fighting game VF5FS had a great one. I haven't jumped online with DOA5U yet but I hope the netcode is noticeably better than what we had with DOA5.

Leifang2000

Being the host in the lobby, I found that while I can play fine with a slight lag fighting someone with 1 bar, but my friend has great lag fighting the 1 bar guy (while my friend and I have 5 bars)

Initial_R_

The question is this, Are you fighting 1-2 bar people? If you are constantly fighting those types of people then you are obviously are going to suffer from lag. I played TTT2 and TR and if somebody had 1-2 bar connections the lag was pretty bad and barely playable sometimes. I've played about 6 matches online in DOA and the Netcode seems exactly the same. 4-5 bars are buttery smooth, 3 bars are decent, 2 bars are iffy, and 1 bars are horrible. GREAT Netcode can't fix horrible internet people.

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
VF5FS had an amazing netcode and so did TTT2. Don't get me wrong online play will never be the same as offline play but as far as netcodes go for a fighting game VF5FS had a great one. I haven't jumped online with DOA5U yet but I hope the netcode is noticeably better than what we had with DOA5.

Note, I did not say that I think it's a bad netcode. But for example,
http://virtuafighter.com/threads/dead-or-alive-5-ultimate-thread.18111/page-10#post-367905
I will disagree here, but I guess it's personal experience. VF5FS is laggy as all hell, but atleast I can still play the game (though the definition of "play" can be kind of loose here...).

In DOA5, there are certain matches that are just downright nauseating. Again, personal experiences may differ, but both games need to fix their damn net code.

TheTHCGamer

Note, I did not say that I think it's a bad netcode. But for example,
http://virtuafighter.com/threads/dead-or-alive-5-ultimate-thread.18111/page-10#post-367905
Most people on VFDC have nothing but praise for VF5FS netcode and anyone having bad lag were in the minority. In fact the netcode was so well implemented that top VF players like Gentleman thief placed high at tournaments just based on his experience playing online and this was stated by LA Akira who also praised the netcode. Believe me that's quite an accomplishment coming from a once anti online minded community.

I hardly every experienced noticeable lag unless the person I was playing against had bad connection or slow Internet. I was also on the fence about how well VF5FS would play online because its so heavily based on frame rate but to my surprise the games netcode surpassed my expectations. I can guarantee you anyone who has played both DOA5 and VF5FS online extensively will tell the difference is night and day. I hardly ever had laggy matches when VF5FS was at its peak.

Still hoping DOA5U plays noticeably better online than DOA5. I'm pretty sure I read some where that the developers did improve the netcode but i guess I'll see for myself tonight. I'm not going to defend even my favorite fighting game franchise (VF) if it has a shitty netcode because I feel if you don't let the developers know the problem then they'll never fix it. VF and DOA are my favorite 3D fighting games which is why I want the best for these games.

Having a solid netcode is only going to help sales and help the community grow in general.

Last edited:
ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD