I can't seem to guard while freestepping.

Drake Aldan

I've been noticing this time and again- I'll be freestepping (2 or 8) around the arena at range, and I'll get hit by these huge ranged lunge attacks over and over again. I swear I get to my H button in time, but I get hit anyway.

Is this normal, or is this a symptom of online?

Drake Aldan

I have some more questions... Should I make new topics or just put them here?

Anyway...

2) How do you whiff punish people who are whiffing strings?

It seems like opponents can start strings outside my range, and attempting to whiff punish just gets me hit. Are you not supposed to try at all (i.e. only whiff punish string enders/singular moves)?

3) When I get stunned I usually start going for stagger escape. Is it true though, that if you are hit with a jab/jab string it will probably be impossible to shake out in time to block the next move sequence?

P/PPs seem to give a lot of advantage in stun and I was wondering if this was true across the board.

Drake Aldan

Hold H and do circles. Sometimes I accidentally hold trying to do it... Maybe I should just input 8H/2H instead and then circle from there.

I know in multiple instances stagger escaping will not prevent the next attack landing and you need to hold or just take it. I was just wondering if that principle applies to most (if not all) jabs.

also, I can accept that backstep has vulnerability frames where you can be hit. But is the same true of freestep startup?

Sometimes I have to wonder if I just should be playing this game 2D style and treat the command sidestep like a hold.

StrikerSashi

Premium Donor
CH/Stun PP are usually like +25 even after SE, so you probably won't be able to escape the next move without holding.

As for whiff punishing, I only really whiff punish standalone moves like flying kicks, running bodyslams, etc.

Don't know about the freestep thing, though. I don't have any problems blocking after freestep, though.

EDIT: If it's a lunge type attack, though, it's probably not tracking, so just sidestep or continue freestepping and it'll probably whiff.

virtuaPAI

I am the reason why you are here!!!
Staff member
Administrator
Drake Aldan said:
I've been noticing this time and again- I'll be freestepping (2 or 8) around the arena at range, and I'll get hit by these huge ranged lunge attacks over and over again. I swear I get to my H button in time, but I get hit anyway.

Is this normal, or is this a symptom of online?
-Most likely getting hit before :h: is entered. Try tapping :4: after freestepping, or tap :7: to freestep block.

Drake Aldan

-Most likely getting hit before :h: is entered. Try tapping :4: after freestepping, or tap :7: to freestep block.
I'm uncomfortable with hold back to block, but OK, I'll try it.

Do you autoblock when freestepping backwards (i.e. not inching backwards)?

ed. yes, you do. Well, that's interesting.

Last edited:
ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD