I Suck at DOA++

grap3fruitman

Standard Donor
I don't know what to follow up with after :6::6::h:, there's no :6::6::K:! Yeah, I'm trying to get used to blocking with :4: and :1: since I'm so used to using the :F: button for that function. I got DOA++ running in 640x480 windowed yesterday with the intent of capping some footage for my DOA5 critique vid and ended up playing ++ for two hours instead. Damn it.

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
:2::3::6::K: is your best option.

And yeah, 2 hours? Now you see why me and that one guy played for 5 haha.

The HuBBs

everyone sucks at doa++ cause nobody but Mr.Wah plays it. Now if only we can figure out a way to play it online with mame32plus without desyncing.

UncleKitchener

Standard Donor
I've been playing DOA1 for a while now. This game has the weirdest set of moves I've seen, but it's actually more difficult to do than recent DOAs.

The way offensive holds and grabs mix up is just weird. Never seen anything like it.

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
You have to remember that DOA1 was based off of Virtua Fighter. Virtua Fighter's original moveset really wasn't consistent across properties of attacks (Like P+K sometimes doing a parry).

DOA++ doesn't play like DOAU though.

UncleKitchener

Standard Donor
This is the playstation version of DOA, though I thought that both the ps1 and xbox version of the game have the same moveset with similar properties.

I can go as far back as VF3.1 and I'm pretty sure it wasn't as inconsistent as this. Was the game based on VF2 or 3?

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
Vf1. And doa++ was not released on consoles though it used the ps1's graphical style.

UncleKitchener

Standard Donor
That is one ancient manuscript to copy from.

And I'm surprised that a game like this on a Naomi 2 ended looking like shit (seriously, look at it and compare it to the original), though I guess they probably ported all that to the Naomi in a week or two. The original DOA looked really pretty like Soul Edge.

But I really like the fact that normal holds parry and cause little damage with only special mid holds (like Bass' qcbH) doing significant damage and that's only for things like mid kicks. Having normal holds parry makes the game really fast. I would definitely buy DOA5 if it has this sort of mechanic instead of the current holds.

And actually make use of specials again. I mean, maybe the "power blows" are actually the specials now, but more normal specials would be nice.

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
DOA1 was never on naomi hardware. DOA2 was the first to be on Naomi hardware.

DOA++ was using a Sony hardware JAMMA board.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD