If DoA5 is not delayed, fear the worst

CyberEvil

Master Ninja
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Donor
Since Hayashi started attaching his name in more prominent ways to Team NINJA titles, games have been coming out on time! All of these games have also been pretty harshly received by the fanbase, with the severity of the response seeming to escalate with each successive title. Therefore, given the state Ninja Gaiden 3 was released in, we can deduce that DoA5 being released during it's currently projected September 2012 timeframe will result in a catastrophe the likes of which have NEVER BEEN SEEN.

Side note: hello to a lot of you. Again.

Raansu

The alpha is in a more playable state then doa4, so there is that to look forward too. It all depends on how the game looks at E3. The biggest concern is more so that TTT2 is coming out the same month. The game could be the most solid DoA ever but it wouldn't matter because TTT2 would completely overshadow it.

Ubersuntzu

I kinda doubt it. Even if it's not perfect, most people who know what they're talking about wouldn't argue that DOA 5 has been dumbed down. The usual complaint seems to be that it's not improved enough to win over competitive players who have already written the series off.

Raansu

You can doubt it all you want but TTT2 will overshadow it. The game needs more time anyways. I'd be more then fine with them delaying it. Not only to polish the game but to not launch it against bigger titles.

DriftSlave

pretty much, Tekken is like Street Fighter...in other words...the Triple A title for fighting games....even if DOA5 has buzz, it will be hard to compete with Tekken in general....their only hope is to delay the game to next month or something because same month/same week as Tag2 will only get them fucked over in the end.

with the scars that NG3 left deep in faithful fans, DOA5 has alot to own up to...as i said before..this is their last chance.

*Off Topic Side Note* Personally Im burned out on FG's right now...im taking a break from SFxTK....i haven't tried SkullGirls yet...and i dont plan on it right now either. VF5FS is next month....and DOA5/Tag2 is later this year....with Evo around the corner its hard not to feel burned out if your into fighting games....I'm going to ranbats tomorrow for SCV instead of a local SFxTK tournament(shows how much stuff is going on) and hopefully I have fun instead of feeling bummed out like today o_O ....anyways....end rant.

grap3fruitman

Standard Donor
It was delayed once, I know that for sure. It was originally scheduled for a February release but got pushed back to March. I could have sworn that it was originally intended as a fall/holiday '11 title though, oh well.

CyberEvil

Master Ninja
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Donor
Retailers may have switched dates but only one press release hit with a date and it was March 20th.

Edit: How appropriate that my first thread here is numbered 666. Lol.

Ubersuntzu

You can doubt it all you want but TTT2 will overshadow it. The game needs more time anyways. I'd be more then fine with them delaying it. Not only to polish the game but to not launch it against bigger titles.

I should've been clearer about what I was doubting. I was responding to the original post fearing fan backlash. I have a harder time picturing DOA fans crying foul about the series being diluted the way NG fans did with NG 3. Pretty much everybody saw that coming.

I have no doubt that releasing too close to TTT 2 will cost the game sales. Gamers will have less cash to spare and review outlets will be focusing all their hype on the game with the larger name and fanbase. It's going to be a lot harder to get people on the fence to give the game a chance if they feel like they're being forced to choose between DOA and another game with a stronger reputation all their friends will be playing.

CyberEvil

Master Ninja
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Donor
Just to make it clear since a lot of people don't know me here, I was joking in my original post. I am a bit bitter about NG3, but this thread was mostly just trolling...decent conversations though.

CyberEvil

Master Ninja
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Donor
What? I thought people would figure it out from the overly dramatic caps and ridiculous statements. Not my fault. I'm blameless in all of this.

Berzerk!

I'm not hating NG3 so far (only a couple of stages in). It's too stripped back as an action game but the core combat is still quite good.

Whatever the opinion, it doesn't affect DOA5. Hi CyberEvil! Nice that you've joined up.

Tekken Tag vs DOA might end up looking favourably for DOA as it will be a fresh, good looking game. Tekken Tag 2 is pretty much the same old... faster and shinier than the last version, but I don't see it breaking out beyond its current base. DOA has nothing to lose. At worst, it will ride Tekken's coattails.

x Sypher x

I appreciate your optimism Berzerk but at this point I don't think it's a matter of which game looks better, which system is changed/unchanged, etc., but it's more of which is more popular. Tekken has a larger fanbase worldwide. That's going to be tough to compete with.

Gill Hustle

I'm not hating NG3 so far (only a couple of stages in). It's too stripped back as an action game but the core combat is still quite good.

Whatever the opinion, it doesn't affect DOA5. Hi CyberEvil! Nice that you've joined up.

Tekken Tag vs DOA might end up looking favourably for DOA as it will be a fresh, good looking game. Tekken Tag 2 is pretty much the same old... faster and shinier than the last version, but I don't see it breaking out beyond its current base. DOA has nothing to lose. At worst, it will ride Tekken's coattails.

Not to mention we don't know how DOA5's Tag System will work in DOA5.

Personally I always felt DOA2's Tag System was years ahead of TTT, the tag flow was just clunkier as opposed to how smooth it flows in DOA. I mean TTT2 now has ledges, we can only ponder what Team Ninja has got cooking.

:ayane::hitomi:

PhoenixVFIRE

Never really got into Tekken anyway, so I'm still getting DoA5. I'm also interested in what else Team Ninja has in store for DoA5 that isn't present in the Alpha Demo.

matsu

I have no doubt that releasing too close to TTT 2 will cost the game sales. Gamers will have less cash to spare and review outlets will be focusing all their hype on the game with the larger name and fanbase. It's going to be a lot harder to get people on the fence to give the game a chance if they feel like they're being forced to choose between DOA and another game with a stronger reputation all their friends will be playing.

We are tekken against we are fighter..... the choice might not be too hard for players.

Namco deliberataly taunting?

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD