Input lag online

Mr. T

Is it just me or is Tecmo masking poor netcode/connection with huge input lag in order for the fight to appear smooth? Back in doa4 and ultimate, you'd occasionally get really bad input lag but mostly It'd stutter or slow down. In doa5 anytime I'm facing a poor connection (happens all the time on "nearby") I'll get huge amounts of input lag to the point where I'll block a low attack but instead get hit by a 6i stun then proceeded with the buffered throw i did 8 frames ago thus getting hit with a high counter to the face

and before anyone asks, this is on PS3 in DMZ, cable, 10/1mbs fiber. My first online game on ps3 though. Maybe more people are using WI-fi on ps3 then on xbox?

Also not sure if this is simply user fault but buffering also seems "weird" on poor connections even though the gameplay appear to be smooth. But this masking with input lag i fear also causes people with poor connections (likely beginners) from actually noticing they have a poor connection and keep ruining the experience for everyone else.

Apologies for crappy structure in this here text.*

Raansu

It's p2p just like 2U and 4 and it really depends on who you're connecting to. I've had matches in both 2U and 4 where the game comes to a complete stop and I've had games where it looks smooth as butter but the delay in inputs is so bad that you might as well just mash buttons.

My experience with DoA5 so far has been pretty much the same with the exception of the day the game came out...for some reason all the laggiest connections in the world decided to play on day one and I didn't get a single good connection. The following night I had nothing but lag free matches lol.

shunwong

I've been finding less simple matches lately. Bad luck, because I've spent more time on ranked and lag trolls seem to be strong there...

Mr. T

Well I'd just prefer if the game stuttered and slowed down on poor connections since then it'd at least be fair. It would still be a game where the general DOA system could be applied. It wouldn't be about who can safely break neutral first then proceed to spam lows and safe attacks on guard. Well not to the same extent anyway, I belive.

are there any studies on latency on WI-fi vs cabel?

Prince Adon

Best in the World!!!
Premium Donor
I personally have a better time with DOA5 with 4. I hated doa4 online and found it pretty much unplayable. For me 5 isn't unplayable. I have some pretty good matches that run well. Only time I really have problems are in Ranked matches where people like to lag more especially the higher you rank up for some reason you attend to connect with effed up connection more often. Now I even have a longer time finding people. I think the higher you rank up the less people you find so it seem to take forever. That's what it seems like anyways. I don't fight ranks lower than me in Rank since I'm trying to rank up as fast as possible so I don't have to play rank matches anymore.

DrDogg

My main issue with online is that you can't punish anything and it's very difficult to block/counter on-reaction. I don't know if the frame data actually changes or it's just weird latency issues, but it's the one and only reason I can't stand playing this game online.

When I block an unsafe attack, I should be able to punish it. Instead, the opponent seems to have frame advantage. It's ridiculous.

NightAntilli

When the input lag offline is 5-6 frames (even reaches 7 on the PS3), you can't expect the input to be great online, no matter how good the net code is.

synce

It's pretty bad. At least in 4 I could counter and punish, but here you have to guess far in advance what to counter and just forget about punishing. Between that and overpriced DLC I decided not to renew my Live membership yesterday until at least one of the two issues is fixed.

Drake Aldan

As a new player, it's very hard to feel input lag (it's inexperience).

As such, it is easy to begin to believe that this is the natural state of the game (it is not) and write off DOA as low spam or a mashfest (it is not).

Good netcode is... crucial for introducing new players to the "true" game, and also keeping elite players interacting with newer players to set examples. I hope they do something about this soon.

Chaos

My main issue with online is that you can't punish anything and it's very difficult to block/counter on-reaction. I don't know if the frame data actually changes or it's just weird latency issues, but it's the one and only reason I can't stand playing this game online.

When I block an unsafe attack, I should be able to punish it. Instead, the opponent seems to have frame advantage. It's ridiculous.
Sounds like DOAD all over again... Im very disappointed. :(

shunwong

For the people who have the 1.03 patch on the PS3: Has the online improved?

I have an Xbox and hadn't played in a while. I played yesterday and Jesus, I remembered why I stopped playing.

shunwong

It's definitely a lot better.

Thank god. Now we only need the patch to come to Xbox (with 1.03 glitch included I hope).

How much better? VF5FS/SC5 better? SSF4AE better?

I hope the new online will force people to play honest (defend when at disadvantage, stop mashing strings, etc.)

Chaos

Thank god. Now we only need the patch to come to Xbox (with 1.03 glitch included I hope).

I hope the new online will force people to play honest (defend when at disadvantage, stop mashing strings, etc.)
I doubt it :(

KevinJ

It's better than SSF4AE. Not sure about VF5/SC5 though, never played those games. The new online isn't good enough to do honest play on the PS3. I don't know about 360, but I highly doubt it.

We will probably not get any games with good enough online to get that kind of level of game play on this generation of consoles. One can only hope that next gen consoles can help with the problem. Seeing how big our country is and how shitty our infrastructure is, doesn't really help either.

saikyom

Lost matches I knew I could win due to this, my opponents attack would whiff or be unsafe, I'd go to punish and they'd still get a move in. Lame.
Happened to me with Akira, but I won't call it lame, I don't play to win, only to have fun and gain experience.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD