Is Core Fighters a good idea?

DestructionBomb

Standard Donor

I do have a job, though I am still rather confused on the response. Are you seeking to derail the thread? or do you actually have a better idea on Core Fighters (?)

I somewhat agree with you. I too want them to keep it as is. My intention for making this topic is that I know how much time, effort, dedication, and money goes into creating video games. From that point of view, I want it to make the money it deserves.

I mean, it's mostly just the message being sent. Pouring too much money can end up being used elsewhere (least usually). Most of DOA5 in particular for example, had a good revenue from just DLCs alone that pretty much carried the game in terms of longevity and support, adding more new price tags on top of it for other features will just bloat the game into a cash grab nightmare, does DOA actually truly need that? DOA already has a meme stigma within most of the fighting game communities so putting more on top of it will just solidify the series to not be taken serious at all. Not because of the sexy girls and costumes in terms of seriousness (sex appeal is good), but that the game is now putting unnecessary price tags for things that didn't need to put a price tag to begin with when current fighting games don't even do that. Personally, DOA will probably not even make use of that money since it ends up going into other projects anyway from what I heard.

This is just me, but I literally see nothing luxurious within DOA compared to any other fighting game out there to warrant such price tags, not a single holy grail. Heck I chuckled when DOA5LR had a gold reskin for buying a season pass. Tekken 7 previously charged for Frame Data lol, let's not get DOA have a race to see which one does worse. I definitely understand how you feel, though this is definitely something on KT's end on how they want to approach the series now because DOA is in a lion's den with the current fighters at the moment. Pouring random cash just might not go anywhere when the latest version is not supported anymore.

DestructionBomb

Standard Donor
Here's an idea, pencilneck. Why don't you shut up and let people admit the current system of $100 for a season pass is NOT economically feasible?

Feasible for what exactly? who is the business system trying to impress? since you were the first to calling names, you are an idiot. You just got into this site like days ago and already you feel like you have the IQ of a scientist? lol

Oh, I know. They shouldn't have bothered with season passes in the first place, cuz they're a waste of money.

No shit they shouldn't, but it's video game business following trends. Folks like you end up buying them anyway.

Number two, the idea of DOA being free-to-play should never have been thought up of, since fighting games suck as F2P.

Guess what sherlock, DOA did get successful with a F2P system. DOA5U was DOA's biggest spike in terms of the player base and consecutive players, DOA5 and DOA6 is the biggest DOA has ever gotten in like years. Sure it's not enough, but that's just how DOA is. It isn't Smash or Street Fighter where it has the luxury to get spikes of players on the fly without needing a F2P. It's not how things work.

*Unlockable costumes earned through leveling up and clearing Quest Mode.

*ZERO gacha crap that only exists to force players to binge-play multiplayer.

*Rollback netcode provided by an industry leader like Iron Galaxy.

For the first time in this entire thread you provided actual suggested feedback that I agree with. With rollback being one of them. Do you argue and complain just for the sake of arguing and complaining?

If you can't handle these ideas or Nya's, you're braindead. Simple as that.

If you expect a game to be a cash grab mess and locking modes behind a paywall as "good", then you are delusional. Simple as that.

Last edited:

TheHunterKiller692

DOA did get successful with a F2P system.
DOA5 and DOA6 are the biggest DOA has ever gotten in like years.
I'm absolutely speechless.

Just, why? How can you literally look at a formula that rewards customization and not requiring the paywalls you claim I want to keep in there to access said customization and think "Yeah, I like my broken pile of shit with gacha mechanics thrown in to piss off the playerbase."

DestructionBomb

Standard Donor
Just, why? How can you literally look at a formula that rewards customization and not requiring the paywalls you claim I want to keep in there to access said customization and think "Yeah, I like my broken pile of shit with gacha mechanics thrown in to piss off the playerbase."

Well do you know what a gacha is? or are you comparing DOA's free-to-play Core Fighters with actual gachas out there? Core Fighters has zero gacha in it bud (the whole character shift is just a randomizer). I mean you could add gacha elements in there, but then that promotes DOA into being something as luxurious to roll on stuff with cash when it's really not for the fighting game version. You are not dice rolling percentages with money to have Hitomi as a playable character (which is what a gacha would do). DOA's F2P is pay for it once and it's yours forever without having to gamble. However, this should not apply to game modes either. Heck, the main topic post even suggest a time limit for online. Being time gated to play is just as bad as most of the other issues.

Going from the previous posts, you are basically complaining just to complain when free-to-play should not be heavily monetized is something I agree with as well. Hence why it should remain the same. You don't need to add more locked behind a paywall.

-Drum roll- .... almost the entirety of Nya's main post is what a gacha looks like so i'm not sure what you are defending exactly because I'm reading contradiction.

DestructionBomb

Standard Donor
You're serious. You'd rather grind for hours for one costume. Are you insane?

If the costume is dope and I take my time with it sure. But if it looks like actual shit, then no I won't so I'm not sure what the big deal is here. It's the fact that the option exists is good because people will have a reason to grind it out.

At this point I can't even tell if you are trolling or legit surprised that no one wants to see a paywall on certain features. I mean, you say you hate gacha (which Core Fighters does not have presently), but then you said you agree with Nya's main topic post which has gacha elements so which one is it?

DestructionBomb

Standard Donor
You forced Grunt to leave the site all because he wasn't following your narrative that DOA 6 was a success. You must be brainwashed to think that Nya is in the wrong here and you're not when he's the one who admits the game wasn't doing the job it set out to do. And now you wanna make all constructive criticism be null and void on Team Ninja's say-so, despite the PR dumpster fire that you let fester for all this time?

This is probably the best shitposting I've seen in the entire year (Grunt? what?). I have concluded that you just wrote things randomly just to be random lolololol. Yeaaaah this conversation is over.

Rob

The Dragon Shrine Maiden
Premium Donor
Capcom has KT beat in treating a $60 game like it's a F2P title.

I love the battle pass swindle. Give money to a game company to grind what you bought.

The entire game industry deserves to be burned to the ground.

Moneyspider_Todd

as a consumer, making Core Fighters start with only 2 characters is a terrible idea, specially when at least 1 of the "free" spots is always one of the ninjas.
4 is a good number if every free character represents an archetype for the player, to help them try different styles fefore choosing a specific character to master.
To me, that was the smartest thing they did with DOA6CF starters.
A F2P fighting game with only 2 characters to choose in a market with lots of games with free trials, demos AND modes hidden behind paywalls sounds more like a scam in proccess than a full market strategy.

deathofaninja

Premium Donor
News Team
as a consumer, making Core Fighters start with only 2 characters is a terrible idea, specially when at least 1 of the "free" spots is always one of the ninjas.
4 is a good number if every free character represents an archetype for the player, to help them try different styles fefore choosing a specific character to master.
To me, that was the smartest thing they did with DOA6CF starters.
A F2P fighting game with only 2 characters to choose in a market with lots of games with free trials, demos AND modes hidden behind paywalls sounds more like a scam in proccess than a full market strategy.

At the same time F2P also can mean not needing a subscription to XBOX LIVE to play online. I'm not sure how it works for Sony anymore as I've left those waters.

TheHunterKiller692

I'm not sure how it works for Sony anymore as I've left those waters.
I checked the store pages for DOA 5LR and 6, but both games need PS+ to play online.

Also, other F2P fighting games like Brawlhalla and Fantasy Strike don't even need a story mode. And neither does DOA, if the next game really gets the F2P treatment.

Otherwise, I'm gonna stick with MK1 and Tekken 8.

Last edited:

deathofaninja

Premium Donor
News Team
I checked the store pages for DOA 5LR and 6, but both games need PS+ to play online.

Also, other F2P fighting games like Brawlhalla and Fantasy Strike don't even need a story mode. And neither does DOA, if the next game really gets the F2P treatment.

Otherwise, I'm gonna stick with MK1 and Tekken 8.

I completely disagree. I love DOAs story mode, maybe you don't like it, but I do! DOA needs a story mode. It's actually a big advantage they have over a lot of fighters and that it's in 3D. I go back and watch the CGI endings every year that's how close I am to the characters of this franchise. You say you didn't like Helena swimming with the dolphins? I liked seeing her take a break and letting go from her drama. I thought it was a great moment personally.

There are two fighters that can compete with DOA's story: Soul Blade & Mortal Kombat. You realize that some stories are so limited they are in instruction manuals? I don't like that. I know there are some competitive gamers out there that do not give a rat's filthy asshole about anything but gameplay meta, but I like the whole package presented to me and I want the whole package. I rolled my eyes to the people that said "get rid of tag because it's not used in tournaments" or "get rid of the storyline and put more time into things we want."

How thoughtful to the people that do enjoy those things.

TheIndustrialCowboy

NiCO Evangelist
Premium Donor
Why so much hate for story mode? It helps give context and depth to the characters - and the characters are unequivocally the most important part of DOA.

Doesn't MK's story have a bunch of multiverse-jumping and timeline resets? In my opinion, good storytelling usually avoids these gimmicks - or uses them sparingly at least.

TheHunterKiller692

Doesn't MK's story have a bunch of multiverse-jumping and timeline resets?
Yeah. Too many, I'd say.
Why so much hate for story mode?
Cuz some games tack on their story modes and it doesn't work. More importantly, it's the way these story modes are made that structurally fall apart as soon as you look at them with even a little scrutiny. And unfortunately, as much as I like the idea of having context, I think that most fighting games story modes, except Tekken, are some of the worst-written I've ever had the displeasure of experiencing.

deathofaninja

Premium Donor
News Team
Yeah. Too many, I'd say.

Cuz some games tack on their story modes and it doesn't work. More importantly, it's the way these story modes are made that structurally fall apart as soon as you look at them with even a little scrutiny. And unfortunately, as much as I like the idea of having context, I think that most fighting games story modes, except Tekken, are some of the worst-written I've ever had the displeasure of experiencing.

I think DOA2U's opening puts most fighting game storylines to shame alone; all in one scene. Like I said whether or not you care to admit it, your opinion isn't bible - it is subjective like any other opinion. I'm on the complete opposite end of the spectrum as you and that's okay, but I'm not a fan of Tekken's storyline at all. I think other games like Mortal Kombat and its lore have that game beat as well.

TheHunterKiller692

I think DOA2U's opening puts most fighting game storylines to shame alone; all in one scene. Like I said whether or not you care to admit it, your opinion isn't bible. I'm on the complete opposite end of the spectrum as you and that's okay, but I'm not a fan of Tekken's storyline at all.
Tbf, I feel like I'd rather turn all the negativity on myself for not actually trying to make a genuine argument, but instead taking existing talking points and putting them into a blender. It's also worth noting I'm not an expert on Japanese culture and that would affect my judgment severely.

So I do apologize for acting and sounding schizophrenic.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD