System Is there a difference between guard break and block disadvantage?

DR2K

Is there any advantage to a guard break that leaves you at disadvantage vs a regular move that does it on block?

Darth Lotonic X

No difference aside from the animation, but a player might assume that if a move guard breaks, then it must be positive on block. You could probably make use of this with some of the safer negative guard breaks.

TRI Mike

Only the animation. One of the important issues DOA still needs to fix are these stupid-ass negative guard breaks. Looking at yours :marierose:

Raansu

Only the animation. One of the important issues DOA still needs to fix are these stupid-ass negative guard breaks. Looking at yours :marierose:

I think those guard breaks are more for aesthetics than to function as an actual guard break. You gotta admit some of those attacks would look funny without a guard break animation. I agree its weird for a guard break to be negative on block but ya.

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
I think those guard breaks are more for aesthetics than to function as an actual guard break. You gotta admit some of those attacks would look funny without a guard break animation. I agree its weird for a guard break to be negative on block but ya.

Raansu understands it correctly.

Basically it's as he says. It's due to animation reasons. The animations (for various reasons) need to be that much recovery, but having them in a block stun for that long means the defender feels like his inputs aren't responding.

An easy example of this is Akira's :2::K::P: which is +0 on guard. However, the punch has a humongous recovery when free cancelled. So if you guard it and try to attack you'll see you're still guarding, it gives you the impression it's like +13 or something but he's only +0 and it's waiting for his recovery to finish before letting you begin to attack.

UncleKitchener

Standard Donor
Some GBs are just there to eliminate a major amount of a move's recovery not making it ridiculously punishable. Another reason the large amount of active frames for that particular move.

Rikuto

P-P-P-P-P-P-POWER!
In the future it would be nice if they simply used different kinds of animation for long recovery disadvantaged attacks, and got rid of the "guard break" text.

But yea, one benefit of the animation is most of them push back quite a bit more.

Tempest

In the future it would be nice if they simply used different kinds of animation for long recovery disadvantaged attacks, and got rid of the "guard break" text.

But yea, one benefit of the animation is most of them push back quite a bit more.
I think they should keep it, but maybe there can be some indication on the UI on whether the GB is positive or not.

Rikuto

P-P-P-P-P-P-POWER!
I think they should keep it, but maybe there can be some indication on the UI on whether the GB is positive or not.

Most casual players will never figure it out. They will go with what makes the most sense. Guard break makes sense.

Lulu

Actually there is a difference once you factor in Distance..... if you're at disadvantage you can be throw punished quite easily..... if you're at disadventage after performing a guard break then one of the first things you'l notice is some guard breaks make the opponent lean back and the really hard guard breaks actually make you're opponent step back.... it will be harder to throw Punish.... but not impossible. I don't think its so reliable that you can rely on it as a viable strategy..... but hey when it happens cease the oppertunity..... Tina's Quarter Circle Foward Punch does trigger a guard break but it also leaves her at a big enough disadvantage for a neutral ground throw I think...... even though the guard breaks does knock you back.... Tina's attack animation follows through closing up the distance..... close enough for a throw punish.
Its the same story for her 4 P+K.... however you can feint this move..... its fun way to surprise people who like to side step punish (its a crouch punish)

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD