Itagaki: From Ninja to Viking: Tomonobu Itagaki speaks

itagaki_side.jpg

Tomonobu Itagaki was interviewed about his new studio, experiences, and titles over on Gamasutra.com. Just because the man no longer works for Tecmo doesn't mean he's been forgotten by the fans of this series. If you're interested in seeing what Itagaki has been up to these days, pop on over to read the full article:

Gamasutra said:
Last year, veteran Tecmo game developer and creator of the Dead or Alive and the relaunched Ninja Gaiden franchises, finally announced his new company, Valhalla Game Studios, after resigning from longtime employer Tecmo in 2008. In 2010, the studio announced that it had signed a contract with THQ to release its first game, a third person action-shooter hybrid called Devil's Third.
Itagaki has long been an outspoken critic of both the works of other developers and the industry at large. Fair enough, because he also seems content to follow his own path rather than worrying about what other developers do. He didn't even seem too interested in worrying about the legacy of the Ninja Gaiden franchise on the NES when he relaunched the series, preferring to go his own route with the IP -- and still meeting with success.

Gamasutra got a chance to speak to Itagaki at the show, and queried him about his move to work with a Western publisher, his thoughts on the high profile talent defections from other Japanese publishers, and discussed what his goal is for his game.So confident was he that he didn't show his game at E3, and instead simply handed THQ a bizarre video that starred notorious Japanese comedian Hard Gay -- on a visit to the Valhalla Game Studios offices.

This was a good read, I hope he does well in this genre. I look forward to playing Devil's Third, whenever it may come.

He's never dipped into this kind of gameplay field before.

I only worry that it will somehow be entirely mediocre.

it seems like the quality of videogames has gone down the shitter man. It seems like most developers are more worried about graphics and what the game will look like, that most of them stopped caring about the gameplay itself.

So i agree with rikuto on this. The game might turn out be shit, espically if he's never had experience in this kind of field.

it seems like the quality of videogames has gone down the shitter man. It seems like most developers are more worried about graphics and what the game will look like, that most of them stopped caring about the gameplay itself.

So i agree with rikuto on this. The game might turn out be shit, espically if he's never had experience in this kind of field.

It's been like that this entire gen. You're just now catching on? =P I had a phrase for myself awhile back. I said that at first I felt like I was getting bored of gaming, then I went back and played some old school games and was reminded that I wasn't bored of gaming, its just that gaming this gen sucks.

Ive noticed that with each generation of gaming, the graphics get better, but somewhere along the line we lose features lol.

It's been like that this entire gen. You're just now catching on? =P I had a phrase for myself awhile back. I said that at first I felt like I was getting bored of gaming, then I went back and played some old school games and was reminded that I wasn't bored of gaming, its just that gaming this gen sucks.

Ive noticed that with each generation of gaming, the graphics get better, but somewhere along the line we lose features lol.

I've known it for a while, i've just never said anything until now. I dont buy that many new videogames anymore. I download psp games for my psp and once in a blue moon, ill go out and buy a console game at launch. Besides that, im hitting bargin bins all the time and getting them cheap.

I know for fact, im not buying another street fighter before it hits the bargin bins. Its kinda redicilious that they released 4 versions of street fighter 4 in the last year or 2. Its a waste of money.

I think the next game ill probably get at launch will be halo 4 and whenever they come out with a new doa figheter for consoles.

I've known it for a while, i've just never said anything until now. I dont buy that many new videogames anymore. I download psp games for my psp and once in a blue moon, ill go out and buy a console game at launch. Besides that, im hitting bargin bins all the time and getting them cheap.

I know for fact, im not buying another street fighter before it hits the bargin bins. Its kinda redicilious that they released 4 versions of street fighter 4 in the last year or 2. Its a waste of money.

I think the next game ill probably get at launch will be halo 4 and whenever they come out with a new doa figheter for consoles.

Normally I'd hate that, but given the current situation with DoA...I'd kill to get that kind of treatment right now. I'd be in heaven if doa got that many updates.

Normally I'd hate that, but given the current situation with DoA...I'd kill to get that kind of treatment right now. I'd be in heaven if doa got that many updates.

everyone wants something new for doa. Just cross ur fingers and hope we get another doa console fighter. Not doax, but an actual fighter.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD