Jan Lee/Ein

x Sypher x

So I noticed that there aren't really any character specific strat threads around here. I thought I might kinda start one right now. I'm open to any input you guys have to offer.

So as the title suggests, I'm looking for strats for Jan Lee and Ein. I've recently been messing around with these two characters a little bit. And I noticed that if I wanted to play well with them I would have to learn to be very patient. I believe VirtuaPai noted in another thread for Jan Lee you have to wait for the right moment to make your move, something like that. I feel the same applies to Ein as well. I personally like to play a bit aggressively, which is why I usually play with characters like Hayabusa (main), Kasumi, and Hayate. Gotta love the ninjas right? Lol. I just find myself to excel with those characters. But from time to time I am open to learn a new character, and I expect it will take some time to get used to playing with these guys.

Now then, what say you? :cool:

Rikuto

P-P-P-P-P-P-POWER!
Jann lee is for poking and spacing, as he has some of the best turtling movement in the game and very long range pokes that keep him at a fairly safe distance.

Another upshot to him is that 6k is an average speed mid that is probably the only "true" mid in the game. Certain attacks like genfu's or eliot's 3p+k which can crush certain characters mids have no benefit against this move. This is due to the nature of the hitbox actually rising from the ground itself, rather than above it.

Jann lee could theoretically be the best character in the game. Reason being that his best mid is a safe kick with a good lift stun takes away from helena's stupid crush game, genfu's best move, and busa's izuna counter. That lift stun also theoretically puts jann lee in a situation where due to the properties of the stun a person cannot counter immediately, and this gives jann lee enough time to do a 180 FSD and get behind them damn near instantly for a full backturn combo. if you don't know anything about jann lee's full, maximum stun threshold combos, ill sum it up for you.

They will make you die.

Unfortunately for jann lee, the 180 FSD is not easy to pull off. While I have seen it happen before, and I have done it myself while repeatedly attempting it, I've never seen it applied consistently and only once in tournament play.

If someone could actually master this stupid mechanic the game might well be a much higher level game. Thus far, however, not.

Allan Paris

Realistically, these characters are the same. At the end of the day you will end up playing them the same. That's DOA4 for you.

However, you can't be aggressive with Ein, Jann Lee can get away with aggressive play, somewhat.

Ein, you will have to space a lot, and do a lot of poking. The lot of his moves are unsafe, and not just a little unsafe. he has a few safe moves but most of those are slow, like 20i~28i+ . You could do those moves to throw people off randomly but, I don't adivse to keep putting them on the screen.

The moves are: 2 :K: :K: (28i) it guard breaks, 45 :K: (20i) it guard breaks. (This move does not have the range that Hayate has with it), 236 :K: (33i), :F+K: :K: (28i), 3 :F+K: (30i). These are just several moves, he may have a couple more.

One of his useful safe moves is 3 :K: :K: :K:, to benefit you don't spam the move, use it when it's needed. The start of it is a mid kick and Ein's good moves are mostly in the mid area. So you need to be caution of that especially playing against characters with great mid kick holds.

Ein does have a true mid, 6 :P+K:, and the stun it gives is very problematic. If your opponent is hit with it, they have to make an immediate decision, to hold or not to hold. Of coursse holding out of it grants you that very powerful 12i throw Ein has 33 :F+P:, if your opponent holds high or mid. The low throw is not as great as that one, but it gets the job done. Still, in this situation, it is always going to be a 50/50 situation, so your reading skills and applying a strong yomi game is what you will need to get what you want from the stun. Also, this move is very unsafe if blocked or whiffed, do not overly use it.

You could also extend the stun, for opponents that won't hold, but you could be held at any time while doing that. So, watch yourself.

Playing with Ein you can't be "aggressive", you must take your time when playing him. He has the tools to space with (3 :K: , 6 :P+K: , 4 :K:, to name some) to keep players out and once he gets in he can do his fair share of damage. Those moves are unsafe, with the exception of 3 :K: it has follow ups that should be respected.

For his 6 :P+K:, do it when players rush carelessly, nothing they do will beat it. It can't be crushed, they could jab you to stop it but the hitbox of this punch compared to a jab is massive. So with the jab being out of range, it too will get stuffed.

Watch characters with an OH that can done with :6: :6: :F+P:, you could hit them in the start of their OH, but if your timing is off, you will get OH doing that punch.

4 :K: is good for its range, against non-teching players you could start a ground game (1:K:) from this kick hitting them. The hitbox of the move is fairly decent, use this kick for players that like to attack to cover ground. The kick will hit them while they are doing this, of course you need to be in the area of them doing this. This kick also launches on counter hit.

3 :K: is also good for its range, its a critcal hit and stun and, on counter hit it puts your opponent in a sit-down stun. Another situation (50/50) where their option is to hold or not to hold. It's on your yomi game how things will go.

Now, just because I suggested when to do these moves does not make it the only time to do them. I just know in the said situations I gave, those moves rape with ease. I am pretty sure you can find other situations where those moves will work just as well if not better.

Ein's launchers are: 9 :P: , 9 :K:, 4 :F+K:, 8 :K: (this move has a slow start up and can be seen easily), and his :K: while rising from the crouch position. Ein's 3 :P: has luanching capabilities, I am sure he has a few more launching moves. With these, mix them up when you decide to use them.

Basic Juggles: :P::P:6:P::K: and 1:K:6:P::K:. those are the only ones that I know of. The second juggle covers ground and can lead up to some wall damage. Also, :P::P:6:P:2:K: for floor damage, floors that explode.

I can give some more stuff on Jann Lee, later, if someone else doesn't get to it before me.

Tenren

Lee's :2::P: & :1::P: have huge range and also can be used as crush moves. BNB juggle is :P: :P::6: :P: :6: :P: :K: It will hit everyone but fat people "heavy characters" umm :6: :F+K: will jump over low wake ups and make mids make ups wiff if timed right. :2::2:/:8::8::K: will sidestep and hit behind high wake up kicks. There was a really good write up on Lee on DOAC I believe by Dr.sexual. Its actual were I learned most of lees tricks. Like :4:,:6::P: on slow escape, hell im bored and got a new capture card Ill see what i can throw together lol

x Sypher x

Lee's :2::P: & :1::P: have huge range and also can be used as crush moves. BNB juggle is :P: :P::6: :P: :6: :P: :K: It will hit everyone but fat people "heavy characters" umm :6: :F+K: will jump over low wake ups and make mids make ups wiff if timed right. :2::2:/:8::8::K: will sidestep and hit behind high wake up kicks. There was a really good write up on Lee on DOAC I believe by Dr.sexual. Its actual were I learned most of lees tricks. Like :4:,:6::P: on slow escape, hell im bored and got a new capture card Ill see what i can throw together lol

Ditto!

grap3fruitman

Standard Donor
It may have just been online, but back in the day in 4 online, I was able to out space people with Jann Lee's :1::K: because it's range was just that much larger than that of your typical jab. You can also slow escape into Jann Lee's while rising :4::6::P: very easily, it's holdable but a lot of people don't expect it.

Jefffcore

:1: :K: Is has hella range (As do most his moves). I like to punish wake ups with it.

:9: :P: Should be part of any Jann Lee players game; it's -1 on block, and has great range. If the other character does anything but jab or crush after, your :6: :P: is going to stun them. If they forward punch your :P: :6: :P: will stun them.

:F+K: Is by far his best stun, then :3: :K: , and :4: :K: is his best stun that isn't a sitdown.

:1: :P: , :9: :P: , :2: :K: , :6: :P+K: , :4: :P: , :K: , :F+K: , :7: :P: , and even his :236: :F+P: are all great spacing tools.

Unfortunately all but on of Jann Lee's launch options are all unsafe, but :3: :3: :P: is his highest. His strongest combo is :P: :P: :6: :P: :F: :8: :P: :P: :P: .

:4: :P: is somewhat safe; you have to hit confirm the first punch. The second punch is 5i unsafe and the whole thing is 12i unsafe. If the first punch does hit and you delay it properly, you can get :4: :P: :P: :F: :6: :P: :K: , or :4: :P: :P: :F: :P: :P: :P: :P: ( :2: :K: ) if it's high enough.

My personal favorite way to end combos is with, :9: :K: :K: . If they tech right away you get an unholdable Dragon Kick. If they don't tech, they're in perfect range for :2: :K: , :1: :K: . If :1: :K: hits their back you get an unholdable :4: :K:

:jannlee:

x Sypher x

:1: :K: Is has hella range (As do most his moves). I like to punish wake ups with it.

:9: :P: Should be part of any Jann Lee players game; it's -1 on block, and has great range. If the other character does anything but jab or crush after, your :6: :P: is going to stun them. If they forward punch your :P: :6: :P: will stun them.

:F+K: Is by far his best stun, then :3: :K: , and :4: :K: is his best stun that isn't a sitdown.

:1: :P: , :9: :P: , :2: :K: , :6: :P+K: , :4: :P: , :K: , :F+K: , :7: :P: , and even his :236: :F+P: are all great spacing tools.

Unfortunately all but on of Jann Lee's launch options are all unsafe, but :3: :3: :P: is his highest. His strongest combo is :P: :P: :6: :P: :F: :8: :P: :P: :P: .

:4: :P: is somewhat safe; you have to hit confirm the first punch. The second punch is 5i unsafe and the whole thing is 12i unsafe. If the first punch does hit and you delay it properly, you can get :4: :P: :P: :F: :6: :P: :K: , or :4: :P: :P: :F: :P: :P: :P: :P: ( :2: :K: ) if it's high enough.

My personal favorite way to end combos is with, :9: :K: :K: . If they tech right away you get an unholdable Dragon Kick. If they don't tech, they're in perfect range for :2: :K: , :1: :K: . If :1: :K: hits their back you get an unholdable :4: :K:

:jannlee:

Thanks for your input Jeff, much appreciated :)
Can you go more in depth as to why those moves are unholdable in those situations? I'm curious.

Jefffcore

Just those ones? Or unholdables in general?

The Dragon kick is pretty basic; it hits on the exact frame it needs to if they tech right away; you can still crouch dash under it.

The :4: :K: can only be done if your :1: :K: hits their back because it forces them to tech a certain way, which also keeps them close to you. If their back is the other way you can continue the :2: :K: :2: :K: string to tech them the same way, but I haven't found an unholdable for that because the last kick takes too long to recover.

Jefffcore

I left out that :1: :P: is his best crush (out of like 3 lol). It's crucial to playing characters like Kasumi.

And :6: :6: :F+P: is good for keeping pressure if you know what to do with it. :6: :6: :K: beats everything, but it's unsafe. :1: :P: will hit after, and :6: :P+K: is good, but you have to take a step forward if you aren't on a wall. Watch out for characters that can crush though. Use things like :6: :K: , :2: :K: , or :4: :P: if you think or know you're they'll try to crush. If they don't do anything, just keep doing it :p

Keep in mind that on CH or HCH you have more advantage, and they're slightly closer. :1: :P: will whiff sometimes on normal. Against a wall your options open up even more. Even :7: :K: will hit... I'm not sure how SEing comes into play with that, I've never had the opportunity to test it. (this is on CH)

:K: :K: is safe on anyone under Super heavy, as is :4: :6: :K: . :6: :6: :K: can be, but it's trickier. (Or if you're by a wall)

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD