Koei Tecmo's Steam Stealth Drop Should be Reoccurring

Last week Koei Tecmo stealth dropped Samurai Warriors 4 DX on Steam, and while it is one of the best games in the series and serves a purpose being released this way, it begs the question: does this strategy end with Samurai Warriors 4 DX or does this become a repetitive business pattern that brings their portfolio of titles to Steam; the strongest video game ecosystem on the market that becomes more and more dominant as time passes its natural course.

To my knowledge (and I could very well be wrong) this is the first time Koei Tecmo has shadow dropped a product meaning that there was no overhead or prior advertising; it just came out on a whim to the public. Some people would constitute DOA: Ultimate, Dead or Alive 3 & Dead or Alive 4 being backwards for XBOX ONE as a shadow drop, but it was announced by Phil Spencer in advance, and it was also a backwards compatibility update; not an official release.

This has also raised the question on many social media outlets if Koei Tecmo would officially release past Dead or Alive games onto the Steam platform which is of course a valid question to ask after something like this has been done, and it seems like it would be possible. A long time ago we heard from Team NINJA that the code was no longer available, but I really don't know how valid that point is in the present day seeing as how strong technology has changed; and at the very least they could remaster and release Dead or Alive Dimensions, Dead or Alive 5 or even Dead or Alive 6 with a condensed store while reenlisting licenses for the Virtua Fighter & King of Fighters characters or just do away with them all together if it's not possible.

Samurai Warriors 4 DX is fantastic because it melts down 150+ DLC items into the game itself and also includes an assortment of Japan exclusives including various characters. Dead or Alive 5 & Dead or Alive 6's stores are polluted with an overwhelming number of items, that confuses consumers to this day with some content no longer available to purchase; it would make sense to re-release these games and make them complete to people that want to buy them.

Let's say that Team NINJA doesn't want to release the older games because of their relationship status with Tomonobu Itagaki. That's where DOAD comes remastered for Steam. This is Koei Tecmo's take of the original four games and would provide the entire storyline and game history coverage for DOA players on Steam.

SW4DX looks the best it has ever looked with this stealth drop release on Steam. The game runs perfectly with no frame dips, looks crisp and clear and has one of the better combat systems of a Warriors game. There are plenty of characters to choose from, and this was also the debut of Naotora Li who has overtime become a highly respected character within the Dead or Alive community thanks to her presences as a character in Dead or Alive 5: Last Round.

Koei Tecmo's ability to write entertaining storylines with these real premodern characters is both impressive and feels purposeful to the players and I would award this stealth drop a ✮✮✮✮ star rating. A star rating you say? Yes, indeed! I have been working on a review system for the past year, and when it's released to FSD it will be big and there will also be community involvement; so, look forward to that happening soon!

Keep pushing for DOA; when the surveys come out - let your opinion be known. When you see an opportunity take it. We will have some tournament information soon for your continued competitive DOA involvement and to coincide with the stealth drop of Samurai Warriors 4 DX @KasumiLover has rereleased his incredible guide for Naotora Li in our DOA5 character selection. If you have any interest at all in the character check that bible of information out.

Last edited:
Thank you so much for the mention! I'll also be cleaning up the guide as well since it's been 8 years since it was first done( I was like 18 when I first made it) and alot of my wording and strats have change so I'll be refining alot and also made add a few sections for offensive pressure, defensive pressure, range tool, stun starters, and anti sidestep tools

I saw the announcement from KT games on Facebook and the message from Hisashi Koinuma himself! I must say, this SW4 was my very first musou game that I've got into! (alongside with Hyrule Warriros on WiiU version) glad to see this installment is getting more accessible on steam. Anyway, Happy 20th anniversary Samurai Warriros :ninja:

Yeah, it'd be nice if KT were actually run by someone who doesn't have Master kissing their asses every waking moment and treating any casual shitpost as if it were a "leak". The fact he's the community manager instead of being demoted screams how little of a fuck KT gives about the people who actually want to ask questions. @deathofaninja Don't think you're out of this either, cocksucker.
What mental institution do you speak from and what time do you take your prescriptions?

Yeah, it'd be nice if KT were actually run by someone who doesn't have Master kissing their asses every waking moment and treating any casual shitpost as if it were a "leak". The fact he's the community manager instead of being demoted screams how little of a fuck KT gives about the people who actually want to ask questions. @deathofaninja Don't think you're out of this either, cocksucker.
Hunter, I can understand not liking someone but you may want to cut the insults so you won't wind up banned, it's probably alot more lax now but 2-3 years ago, you would've been axed already(this is coming from someone who got banned themselves for something as small as begging for a feature back).

I really would advise you dial back since you don't want to wind up perma banned or something over poking at someone you don't agree with

Hunter, I can understand not liking someone but you may want to cut the insults so you won't wind up banned, it's probably alot more lax now but 2-3 years ago, you would've been axed already(this is coming from someone who got banned themselves for something as small as begging for a feature back).

I really would advise you dial back since you don't want to wind up perma banned or something over poking at someone you don't agree with

The leniency comes with no longer giving a fuck for the sake of mental health. It’s unbelievably taxing to deal with other people’s drama or childish outbursts/ name calling that come from Hunter and it’s best to look past it. Especially when he’s persuaded me that he has no real compelling arguments that warrant a serious response from myself.

I was calling for some bans sometime ago but it does indeed fracture anti-censorship and if the mods don’t want to ban there is no pressure for this to happen within the state of the community itself.

Personally, I’ve been called every name in the book (and at a young age) and it’s not going to stop. It always comes when you advance with higher viewership and more follows.

I also haven’t been able to respond to every last DM he has sent me on Twitter and I think it hurts his feelings and has caused him to act more outwardly. I apologize for this, but I am only one human being and there is a reason that I don’t have time for Tekken or SF or games that go beyond what my duties entail here.

I refuse, and I especially don't cave in to optimists when the situation is more dire than it already is. Btw, free speech is a thing, and we're not in kindergarten.
Well with that said there isn’t much of a point in needlessly burning bridges.

If you are here because you are a DOA player — at the end of the day we are all facing the same issues.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD