Leaderboards Have Me Scared...

DjDeathCool

So, I was checking the XBL leaderboards last night and I browsed to the bottom to see how many players have jumped online. The number was sitting somewhere around 12,600. My jaw about hit the floor. If we say only 50% of players who have picked the game up have played online and double that we get 25,200. If the game has only moved 25k copies on Xbox (a very generous estimate) that's a pretty big flop, am I right?

Hopefully someone can point out a pretty big error or misread but it really makes me sad that number isn't sitting higher. Maybe leaderboards only count players who have had online matches? I don't know but I'm worried.

It only counts ranked matches which from everyone I've talked to take a long time to get a game. Simple match takes just seconds and seems to be the most common outlet but even being generous and saying only 1/5th play ranked that puts us at 60k for Xbox. Ps3 sold less copies so optimistically we are looking at 100k total. We need to get out to events and build hype and show off our game. Get to big events. Ipl is great and all but small invitationals will never build us a big following.

DjDeathCool

Ipl is great and all but small invitationals will never build us a big following.

Is IPL going to be invitational only? I know the pre-release tourneys were but if their legitimate tournaments are only through invites that will make me even more upset. I hope the majors start showing up for more grass root tourneys because Season's Beatings lacked hype.

Sett

Yeah only counts ranked.

PS3 has 14902 as of this post, if you're interested.

Also, doubt people will hit ranked until they are confident in their ability.

AngryWorm

For what it's worth, the guy at the EB Games I went to mentioned he didn't sell any copies of DOA outside of the two I pre-ordered.

Is IPL going to be invitational only? I know the pre-release tourneys were but if their legitimate tournaments are only through invites that will make me even more upset. I hope the majors start showing up for more grass root tourneys because Season's Beatings lacked hype.
I can't say. I'm not organizing their tournaments. But I do know doa has a history of invitationals. And they are the worst outlet for building hype we have. Watching the same 8 "pros" play each other with no outside meta influence leads to stagnation and boring matches. It is way better to have potential underdogs and new play styles enter the scene. It also helps the players who aren't quite "pro level" like myself get better because it gives us chances to play against those better players. For example I improved at kof after playing at evo against top players. I gained more knowledge about that game in the weekend I played than in the 3 months of training for it.

Maybe it is just me. I won't claim to be a professional at building hype. But those are personal. Reasons why I hope our community steers away from invitationals in order to build a larger player base. Unless something big happens I'm going to be playing doa5 in my hotel room and in a side tournament instead of on stream at evo.

DontForkWitMe

DOA4 has like 700K+.

I hope it sells well.

lets not forget DOA4 was pretty much a launch title and had no other competition since it was the only online fighter(besides DOAU) available 2years after it released, DOA5 won't get the same sales 4 got and TN has no one but themselves to blame, releasing 2 weeks after TTT2 and 1 week before RE6 made this game destined to flop

TheTHCGamer

lets not forget DOA4 was pretty much a launch title and had no other competition since it was the only online fighter(besides DOAU) available 2years after it released, DOA5 won't get the same sales 4 got and TN has no one but themselves to blame, releasing 2 weeks after TTT2 and 1 week before RE6 made this game destined to flop
Actually DOA5 release date was set in stone before TTT2 but i agree with you this is a bad time to release a game in general. A game could also always use some steady sales and with games like COD, Halo 4, and playstaion all stars battle royal releasing next month its not going to help matters.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD