Lei Fang changes in DOA5U

NightAntilli

I agree regarding the from crouch (3)P. Too bad it's so annoying to execute.

As for 2H+K, the frame advantage is garbage for such a slow move, unless they increased the stun in V1.04, which I don't think they did. With Leifang being so linear, the opponent can simply sidestep and counter hit you if they have a crouching attack from the sidestep.

It's true that unshu shouldn't be just thrown out. However if I'm at a distance and the opponent is just backing away, I simply start spamming unshu p unshu p and so on over and over, until the opponent tries to close in. Just trying to bait them in. At a distance Leifang is too garbage. You have to come up with stuff to make the opponent think he/she can get the upper hand by coming closer xD

I love myself some Sabakis. I've become quite effective at using them. So much so that my gameplay started revolving mainly around sabakis. Glad they didn't change anything in that department.

Yoyo

I wouldn't say Lei is garbage at a distance, she just has deficiencies,but some moves she has can close the gap quite well. However, the only moves that can effectively close the gap are Senpu-Kyaku, Tessa, and to a lesser extent Hoto-Suisan,Zensho, but running Soan is effective since people don't regularly expect it so if they are low blocking to avoid her running OH running Soan makes up for it.

StrikerSashi

Premium Donor
I just run up and throw after 2H+K until they get mad and try to hit buttons. Also not gonna try to decipher her move names. :v Somehow Chinese martial arts have Japanese names! 9PP is a favourite of mine for getting up close really quickly. Someone whiffs something and I just mash it. Also 1K, but that's hella ballsy. She's not good far away, but she's not Gen Fu.

NightAntilli

9PP should be timed pretty well before being used. It's quite unsafe. At least 9P lets you go into unshu, but it's always a risk to use it, unless you're absolutely sure you're gonna hit. The stun is great though.

It's a shame that a slow move like 6H+K is easily free stepable, easily holdable on reaction, and if landed all you get is a knockdown that gives nothing but crappy damage. It should give at least that weird launch that 2P+K can give. Don't know what people call it.

I still stand by my statement that Leifang is garbage at long range. Possibly even worse than Gen Fu. I don't really understand why people think Gen Fu is worse. Feel free to explain lol. I'm not a Gen Fu player, but to me, his moves that can close the gap, pretty much all of them crush highs, and sometimes even mids. Leifang's stuff crush nothing, except 6H+K crushing lows. I don't consider 2H+K a move for closing the gap, since when it hits from far away, you're at a disadvantage, even if it was CH or HCH. Leifang does have punches and kicks for closing the gap, while Gen Fu only has punches, so maybe that's an advantage..? And Gen Fu has that charging punch thing, that he can cancel to pressure up close, where he's one of the fastest characters in the game.

I don't see how Gen Fu would have it more difficult than Leifang against a spacing Hayate, Hitomi, Ayane, Rig and so on.

StrikerSashi

Premium Donor
I meant just a normal 2H+K hit, 'cause you were talking about her strikes being stepable afterwards. Plus, if you're talking about 2H+K hitting on a far hit, it's not like anyone is gonna take advantage of that frame advantage. She pushes them so far that barely anything will hit.

For Gen Fu, his moves are pretty much all with him standing in place. It's really just 214P and dash block.
Leifang has only risky options to get in, but at least she has options.

Aven Kujo-Gin

I think Lei Fang style was made in order to not cover so much range, but with plays as closet instead, that may be why she don't have 6H+KP/8KKP from DOA4 any longer. Anyway, you know a character can't be good in all the ways.

NightAntilli

Oh she's definitely strong. She's been made into a more defensive style of gameplay, which makes sense considering her fighting style. Some things simply don't make sense however. 2H+K shouldn't have the same (dis)advantage on all type of hits (normal, counter, high counter). And about:

I meant just a normal 2H+K hit, 'cause you were talking about her strikes being stepable afterwards. Plus, if you're talking about 2H+K hitting on a far hit, it's not like anyone is gonna take advantage of that frame advantage. She pushes them so far that barely anything will hit.
That's the thing. You can't count it as a move for closing the gap. No one will punish, but you're not any closer either.

Not only Leifang suffers from weird stuff like this. I'm sure all characters have abnormalities. I'm not sure if they changed it, but in DOA5, Kokoro's 2K after her 7P was 100% guaranteed if the opponent blocked the punch. But on hit, the 2K follow-up could be held. That's pure BS right there. But that's how the DOA system works.

Back to Leifang, I had some mirror matches yesterday that I saved. I'll see if I can upload them later today or tomorrow.

Last edited:

Yoyo

Not sure where to put this, but has anyone else noticed that 3p whiffs on Sarah after the unshu OH?

StrikerSashi

Premium Donor
I'm not sure if they changed it, but in DOA5, Kokoro's 2K after her 7P was 100% guaranteed if the opponent blocked the punch. But on hit, the 2K follow-up could be held. That's pure BS right there. But that's how the DOA system works.

Well, at least that makes sense 'cause you can't hold in block stun. What doesn't make sense is a -13 on block 2K being -15 on hit. Now that's bullshit.

As for the OH, I also just 64P afterwards.

EMPEROR_COW

Premium Donor
As for 2H+K, the frame advantage is garbage for such a slow move, unless they increased the stun in V1.04, which I don't think they did. With Leifang being so linear, the opponent can simply sidestep and counter hit you if they have a crouching attack from the sidestep.

2H+K is NOT garbage ..

1) its +14 and +6 on fastest stagger escape !! and does not require counter to put the opponent in stun .. that advantage is on NORMAL HIT!

2) theres a ton of ways to screw with someone leading to it:
- P2P2K
- 3P2P2K
- 7P2P2K
- 3P2K
- PP2K
- 2H+K
- unshu 2H+K

3) Being +14 means it combos into standing K (i11) further extending the stun game

4) this also makes its insane for landing OH

5) with the right conditioning you bait the opponent into low hold and go for guaranteed 6P+K into guaranteed CB

6) P2P2K, 3P2P2K and 3P2K beat sidestep giving the same result (3P2P particularly great vs characters with crouching SS like christie, akira, and kokoro)

7) its has long range

If anything .. 2H+K is (and always was) one of Leifangs best tools

Last edited:

FatalxInnocence

2H+K is NOT garbage ..

1) its +14 on fastest stagger escape !! and does not require counter to put the opponent in stun .. that advantage is on NORMAL HIT!

- P2P2K
- 3P2P2K
- 7P2P2K
- 3P2K
- PP2K
- 2H+K
- unshu 2H+K

3) Being +14 means it combos into standing K (i12) further extending the stun game

5) with the right conditioning you bait the opponent into low hold and go for guaranteed 6P+K into guaranteed CB

6) P2P2K, 3P2P2K and 3P2K beat sidestep giving the same result (3P2P particularly great vs characters with crouching SS like christie, akira, and kokoro)

7) its has long range

This x 1000. I especially love the 3P4P/2K variant.

NightAntilli

2H+K is NOT garbage ..

1) its +14 on fastest stagger escape !! and does not require counter to put the opponent in stun .. that advantage is on NORMAL HIT!
That is plainly false. It's +6 on normal hit with fastest stagger escape. It's +14 with no stagger escape at all. Considering that it's not that hard to reach fastest stagger escape, +6 is probably the best you're gonna get in most situations. If not, +10 at best against any average player that knows about stagger escapes. And it remains +6 as a counter hit and as a high counter hit. That's what sucks about it.

The fact that your post got so many thumbs up, while getting the first fact wrong... It blows my mind. Nothing personal. Anyone can make a mistake. But it shows that this community follows what they want to believe, rather than checking stuff out for themselves. I've been saying for two pages that it's +6 only, on all hit types. But now suddenly everyone believes it's +14 because mister Emperor said so. But hey, whatever... If everyone thinks I'm talking garbage it's their right to believe that. I'm gonna be the one kicking their asses.

- P2P2K
- 3P2P2K
- 7P2P2K
- 3P2K
- PP2K
- 2H+K
- unshu 2H+K
The stand-alone move sucks. No one is saying it's not good for mixing up. Except if you have someone who knows what he's doing, the stun of the move won't faze them. After the +6, it's basically a guessing game.
1) You can go for a mid in order to beat any lows, with the risk of being sidestepped, killing your advantage, or
2) You can go for 4KK or something to avoid the player from sidestepping, with the risk of them using a fairly fast low move that kills your advantage by crushing it.

That's not even mentioning that almost all of those mix-ups are sidestepable. If after P2P (or its variants) you use P+K, 2K, or P, a single sidestep beats all of them. Oh, all the people here forgot that little detail didn't they? Yes, DOA has sidesteps know. Try and remember that...

3) Being +14 means it combos into standing K (i12) further extending the stun game

Moot point due to the move being +6 on fastest stagger escape. Although, I have been using K indeed to beat people who don't stagger escape. But obviously, if they get hit with it, they are not exactly high level players that know what they're doing.

That's not a property of the move itself, but a mixup. Anyone who knows Leifang's frames understands that it's simply wiser to sidestep than to try and hold low, or to simply take it and stagger escape afterwards. And if you're already stunned, any player should know that it's better to take the 2H+K since it'll shorten their stun to a mere +6 advantage, compared to more than +20 of some other moves... Unless of course you're at a sliver of health left...

Try this in training mode. Set the stagger escape on fastest, use 8P, P2P2K, and see what happens.

That's assuming the opponent is sidestepping randomly. But it's true though, but, I don't see how this adds anything of value to our beloved 2H+K.

7) its has long range
Which leaves you at -6 with no stagger escape and -10 at fastest stagger escape... Still not seeing the greatness here.

Because people never figured out its weaknesses, plus, DOA never had sidestepping before.

Not trying to sound arrogant, but the chances that someone understands Leifang better than I do, is pretty small. Doesn't mean I know everything about her, just that I know her weaknesses better than most.

Last edited:

StrikerSashi

Premium Donor
Like I said, just throw. Leifang doesn't have good tracking, so you gotta depend on throws as a tracking option. I've caught sidesteps with throws after 2H+K so many times.

StrikerSashi

Premium Donor
Well, that's just how DOA works. Everything has a counter. It sounds like you're expecting every option to be option selected. Even Rachel didn't do that.

NightAntilli

Well, that's just how DOA works. Everything has a counter. It sounds like you're expecting every option to be option selected. Even Rachel didn't do that.
Not exactly selected. But, why does Gen Fu's 1P, that is faster than Leifang's 2H+K, tracks, and does more damage, get a stun and damage boost while Leifang's doesn't? Same goes for Busa's and Hayate's 2H+K for example.

Again, it's not only Leifang. It makes no sense that Christie's 2F+KP gets a stun in on normal hit, while Kokoro's 2H+KK is negative on normal hit, while Christie is faster and that move has more range than Kokoro's... More of these stuff I find out, the more I understand why DOA seems so random sometimes.

And, I'm not pointing this out to say Leifang sucks. She doesn't. She's a tad overrated though.

StrikerSashi

Premium Donor
Because Gen Fu and Christie are really really strong. It's not a problem with Leifang and Kokoro. It's a problem with Gen Fu and Christie.

EDIT: I do get mad at Kokoro 2H+K followups though. If they made her 2H+K transition into Heichu throw like her 2K does, I'd be so happy though. :v

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD