DOA5LR List of New Content!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kronin

I want DOA 1~3 (and 4) announcer voice ( Monica ) back!!

BTW...
Improved sharing function confirmed on the PS4
It is expected, but I will post the picture here anyway.
GMAT05160.jpg

Not sure to have understood, is this always related to the sharing function of DLC between old and next gen? Or to something different?

Aven Kujo-Gin

Well, obviously we all have a different vision of good graphics. Maybe VF is bad in characters, but the stages are good and most stages looks better than DOA5(Don't confuse good looking with design. I know all of them are a square). Tekken is not that realistic, it still have that anime style that I like. Just that. And SCV have great lighting and beautiful colors just like DOA4 was. DOA5 graphics aren't bad, just boring looking.

crapoZK

Standard Donor
Here are graphics comparison:
We only need graphics to look like this:
E3
dead_or_alive_5_kasumi.jpg

vs.
Retail
Kasumi-DOA5-kasumi-34590256-640-400.jpg

E3
dead-or-alive-lei-fang-vs_51u3t_24fxiu.jpg

vs.
DOA5-Sports-Gear-Zack.jpg

5U Retail

Pre-Alpha
maxresdefault.jpg

vs.
images
Retail.
The graphics are still really good. But, Versions BEFORE retail had more detail, better shaders, at least FXAA Anti Aliasing and better texture details.

Tyaren

Standard Donor
Those comparisons are not really representative, especially the Zack and Hayate ones. Completely different stages, different lighting, different image size and quality...

After all the bashing of DOA5's graphics, here a little reminder how gorgeous the game can look. These are some of the most beautifully rendered and animated characters of the PS3 and 360 console generation:

say_cheeeeese__by_doafanboi-d74t77u.jpg

ayane_and_hayate_by_doafanboi-d7exxm4.jpg

Spoiler for more:
ayane_and_hayate_3_by_doafanboi-d7exxsn.jpg

ayane_and_hayate_4_by_doafanboi-d7exxxb.jpg

ayane_and_hayate_5_by_doafanboi-d7exxz5.jpg

ayane_and_hayate_6_by_doafanboi-d7exy3l.jpg

ayane_and_hayate_7_by_doafanboi-d7exy7t.jpg

ayane_and_hayate_9_by_doafanboi-d7exyhb.jpg

Yurlungur

see don't get me wrong, the character models are excellently done it's just everything is a bit subpar compared to the work they did

doa4 had really some gorgeous stages and now i literally only pick 1 stage i think is attractive and even then it's got some really ugly element to it (tokyo sky city)

Argentus

Those comparisons are not really representative, especially the Zack and Hayate ones. Completely different stages, different lighting, different image size and quality...

After all the bashing of DOA5's graphics, here a little reminder how gorgeous the game can look. These are some of the most beautifully rendered and animated characters of the PS3 and 360 console generation:

Spoiler for more:

Not helping when you can see the poorly textured stages in the background.

That's what I'm saying. Doa5 did faces, but that's about it. No colors, no details, no dynamic stages or menus, even the outfits don't look as good as last games.

Look it those lowres textures, even in the character model.. LOOK AT IT

10604440_1506716806245376_5666388461796875900_o.jpg

616523_1462035850713472_8226759467061015811_o.jpg

Its almost looking as dated as resident evil 4. And why the fuck was everything red brown and grey? Everything is either low rez or has no color.

Tyaren

Standard Donor
doa4 had really some gorgeous stages and now i literally only pick 1 stage i think is attractive and even then it's got some really ugly element to it (tokyo sky city)

I know... :( Look at this almost photo realistic beauty from DOA4 for example:

Dead-or-alive-4-ninja_mansion_6.jpg

dead-or-alive-4-20050916070009900.jpg

Dead-or-alive-4-ninja_mansion_4.jpg

Still, in my oppinion even DOA5's stages look better than in every other 3D fighter, excluding Soul Calibur (but those arenas are really small and not interactive).

Turn off the hideous dirt effect and it looks half as bad. ;)

Tyaren

Standard Donor
They'll probably upgrade all in the next gen ports

Apart from higher resolution and better antialiasing probably not. The trailer and the screens, which were from the next generation version, showed no better textures or more polygons on the characters and the environment (except more penguins ;)).

Tyaren

Standard Donor
Actually it's been confirmed the trailer was from the PS3 version... they have yet to release footage of PS4/X1 versions

Oh, where was it confirmed? :) The trailer ran in 1080p which is not possible for the PS3 and 360 version and the pictures where shown in 1080p resolution and with antialiasing as well. Normally it's always the best looking version, that is shown off first. The downgrade comes later... ;)

UpSideDownGRUNT

Oh, where was it confirmed? :) The trailer ran in 1080p which is not possible for the PS3 and 360 version and the pictures where shown in 1080p resolution and with antialiasing as well. Normally it's always the best looking version, that is shown off first. The downgrade comes later... ;)
Team NINJA's twitter but I don't have a link, it's floating around FSD somewhere though and nahh if anything its worth more to hype up the next gen versions and still show additions to PS3/360 first.

werewolfgold

Not helping when you can see the poorly textured stages in the background.

That's what I'm saying. Doa5 did faces, but that's about it. No colors, no details, no dynamic stages or menus, even the outfits don't look as good as last games.

10604440_1506716806245376_5666388461796875900_o.jpg

616523_1462035850713472_8226759467061015811_o.jpg

Its almost looking as dated as resident evil 4. And why the fuck was everything red brown and grey? Everything is either low rez or has no color.
If you really look at DOA4, it looked like the characters/outfits basically had no texture. A lot of the "beauty" comes from the smooth, shiny, cartoon-ish look to them.
doa4-s25.jpg

doa4-1.jpg

It kind of feels like they traded stage textures and such for character ones in DOA5. Not to mention that the character models are larger and feature various extra opacity layers and particle effects for water, dirt, see-through clothes, etc. That probably sapped a lot of resources actually. Having the stages be at the same calibre probably would've crashed the game or something.

Tyaren

Standard Donor
Team NINJA's twitter but I don't have a link, it's floating around FSD somewhere though and nahh if anything its worth more to hype up the next gen versions and still show additions to PS3/360 first.

There will be so many people disappointed with the look of DOA4LR... *sigh* But not because Team Ninja isn't doing a proper job, but because your expectations are too damn high. Have you seen other cross generation games? That's the best graphical difference you can expect.
And there's actually no concrete confirmation for it being PS3 or 360 footage, am I right? The trailer and the pictures were in 1080p including the new particle effects. As this isn't possible on last generation consoles, this must be already the current generation versions.

If you really look at DOA4, it looked like the characters/outfits basically had no texture. A lot of the "beauty" comes from the smooth, shiny, cartoon-ish look to them.

Exactly. They traded more polygons and most of all more bump mapping and normal mapping on characters (textures need more power than polygons) for less polygons and lower resolution textures on the stages. Also, DOA5 wasn't 360 exclusive anymore. It's always easier to tease out great graphics on just one console, than on two. The graphical standard has to meet at the lowest common denominator.

Last edited:

werewolfgold

There will be so many people disappointed with the look of DOA4LR... *sigh* But not because Team Ninja isn't doing a proper job, but because your expectations are too damn high. Have you seen other cross generation games? That's the best graphical difference you can expect.
And there's actually no concrete confirmation, for it being PS3 or 360 footage, isn't it? The trailer and the pictures were in 1080p including the new particle effects. As this isn't possible on last generation consoles, this are already the current generation versions.
It's kind of ambiguous, but this was indeed tweeted.
https://twitter.com/TeamNINJAStudio/status/507504183327469568

And, the screen shots/video being 1080p may not mean anything. After all, shots like this were released way back for vanilla DOA5. We'll just have to see how it looks at TGS.
459320_10150869279201785_599890733_o.jpg

Tyaren

Standard Donor
It's kind of ambiguous, but this was indeed tweeted.
https://twitter.com/TeamNINJAStudio/status/507504183327469568

This was regarding a combo video of Momiji. I remember Kronin spreading the news, that the trailer was confirmed PS3 material and later apologizing, it was a mistake. ;)

And, the screen shots/video being 1080p may not mean anything. After all, shots like this were released way back for vanilla DOA5. We'll just have to see how it looks at TGS.
459320_10150869279201785_599890733_o.jpg

This was a picture of the early build of DOA5, which really ran in 1080p and with this beautiful lighting and antialiasing. We all know, about the downgrade that happened later...

One last time: That the trailer and the pictures were in 1080p resolution (which is only possible on PS4 and Xbone) and were already featuring the fancy new particle effects, are facts. Hoping for still better graphics is wishful thinking without anything concrete to back it up...for now. I might be wrong, but from my experience I don't think I am.

Last edited:

crapoZK

Standard Donor

Spoiler for more:

DOA5U Retail is still beautiful tho, so I'm not complaining. I just want (NOT need) it to be as graphically pleasing as possible.
Is this a better comparison? (From actual gameplay as well)
13190c68e8.jpg

8ec6c46deb.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD