Looking for Kasumi training buddy/buddies!

xMiss_Ellax

Hi all, I've just discovered this forum, I'm so happy to have found such a live and well community for DOA!

I've played sporadically since DOA2, which started my passion for gaming! Back for DOA5, I really want to get as good as my brother is online with Kasumi!

I've learned a lot from him and if you were to watch us both play you can see my style is almost totally inspired from his. Knowing his style well, I can finally !! beat him now but I'm not so great against other good players online - whilst my brother is, as he plays a lot of other fighting games.

I'm hoping to reach out here and get technical tips for online play from other players, preferably who are decent with Kasumi - combos and stun breaks being my main issue.

My moves are quite limited so I'd need someone patient, just to practice with me, show me some tips and tricks. Any decent Kasumi players out there who can start pretty much with the basics with me?
Thankyou.
Ella

The 4th phase

Standard Donor
i can help you with some basics, you can add me if you like

i am trying to take my kasumi to the next level aswell

still a work in progress though.

xMiss_Ellax

That would be great! My PSN is xMiss_Ellax
I'm still an LR online, I struggle with most players who are theoretically D level and above.

The 4th phase

Standard Donor
don't worry too much about ranks, if you can get the fundamentals down you will be fine against most players. some people acquire high ranks by spamming and are destroyed by players who actually know their basics well and are actually good.

defense and holds are key but they aren't the easiest things to learn, still struggling to master them myself but will get there.

you can add my psn since i am not at home right now xd, won't have access to my ps4 til later on.

The 4th phase

Standard Donor
no problem happy to help if i can.

mine does too we can learn it by sparring XD

i need to learn how to hold instantly, i can hold but not effectively.

The 4th phase

Standard Donor
yeah i keep getting punished trying to hold XD and some attacks just go through my defense but that's the beauty of this game you can always improve XD

i would appreciate that thanks XD

31gma

Kasumi is a pressure-based fighter, it's best to end your combo strings if the opponent is blocking you and follow a different approach on your attacks (spacing, throws, and high or low attacks) and as the 4th phase said, don't spam buttons too much as most of her attacks are highly unsafe. You'll be at a great disadvantage if your opponent is blocking your combo strings. I'd definitely practice with you but I'm playing on the 360 at the moment until the PC version is released.

KasumiLover

xX_APO_Prince_Xx
Premium Donor
I'd love to practice sometime you! I could teach you some really dirty combos and tricks i use;) but i can only play on friday, saturday, and sunday...but if you wanted to practice still, it'd be fun

xMiss_Ellax

Kasumi is a pressure-based fighter, it's best to end your combo strings if the opponent is blocking you and follow a different approach on your attacks (spacing, throws, and high or low attacks) and as the 4th phase said, don't spam buttons too much as most of her attacks are highly unsafe. You'll be at a great disadvantage if your opponent is blocking your combo strings. I'd definitely practice with you but I'm playing on the 360 at the moment until the PC version is released.

You're absolutely right. I've only just clicked that Kasumi isn't very beginner friendly, especially for someone who isn't a natural at fighting games. I've been trying to watch and learn from my brother, who's been on streak after streak online, whilst I might get a lucky break here and there but still largely struggle against players whom he would simply thrash.
I'm trying to copy his pressure-based style but it's not working out for me haha. That's why I'm asking for help from you guys! :p

J.D.E.

Standard Donor
You're absolutely right. I've only just clicked that Kasumi isn't very beginner friendly, especially for someone who isn't a natural at fighting games. I've been trying to watch and learn from my brother, who's been on streak after streak online, whilst I might get a lucky break here and there but still largely struggle against players whom he would simply thrash.
I'm trying to copy his pressure-based style but it's not working out for me haha. That's why I'm asking for help from you guys! :p
She is beginner friendly. She's easy to pick up on & get into as a character, just once you go deeper into her as a character, she requires more of your time to learn how to actually win with her. That's if you're wanting to be really good with her. She's very popular too, which means that a lot of people have a target on her as a character to learn to fight since her fanbase is huge.

The 4th phase

Standard Donor
She is beginner friendly. She's easy to pick up on & get into as a character, just once you go deeper into her as a character, she requires more of your time to learn how to actually win with her. That's if you're wanting to be really good with her. She's very popular too, which means that a lot of people have a target on her as a character to learn to fight since her fanbase is huge.

trying to get master good takes times XD

still working on it XD

Last edited:

J.D.E.

Standard Donor
Yup. Lots of it.
EDIT: Also, take a look at Allan Paris's tutorial on Kasumi & the guide. It will help you even more. There is also a starter guide linked to the Kasumi guide for people who are getting into the game.

Last edited:

xMiss_Ellax

Sorry, let me rephrase, in my opinion I don't think Kasumi's an easy class to become very good at or master for beginners. To pick up, yes, but perhaps not win consistently. (In my experience anyway!)

As a semi-newbie online myself I still find it hard not to be predictable with her simple strings, and find spacing an issue, so unless the other players are also beginner-ish, it usually ends up being a very close win to any other decent player for me.

I picked up Marie Rose a few days ago and won more consistently with her than I have been when fighting with Kasumi on DOA5 on and off for many months. Do you think it's just a player style issue (i.e I might be more suited to Marie Rose?), or is Kasumi actually just very hard to master? And I should keep up with it?

The 4th phase

Standard Donor
Sorry, let me rephrase, in my opinion I don't think Kasumi's an easy class to become very good at or master for beginners. To pick up, yes, but perhaps not win consistently. (In my experience anyway!)

As a semi-newbie online myself I still find it hard not to be predictable with her simple strings, and find spacing an issue, so unless the other players are also beginner-ish, it usually ends up being a very close win to any other decent player for me.

I picked up Marie Rose a few days ago and won more consistently with her than I have been when fighting with Kasumi on DOA5 on and off for many months. Do you think it's just a player style issue (i.e I might be more suited to Marie Rose?), or is Kasumi actually just very hard to master? And I should keep up with it?

If you like her then you should keep up with her

Me personally i refuse to give her up. I am just force myself to adapt or perish. Also i don't feel comfortable with any other character been this way since the beggining

J.D.E.

Standard Donor

You have to learn how to disguise her safety. It's not really a style issue. Kasumi is harder to learn if you want to compete or play technical with her. You can't just mash with her like you could in DOA4. She's unsafe on almost everything that you use of her's, but free canceling, string delay, & tools that creates space on block are what keep her from being punished. Not really a playstyle issue if you know how to play them. Marie Rose is more of a defensive-type character while Kasumi leans towards the offensive (as you know). It's best to learn how to play the spacing & footsies game with too since she's also a good counter-poking character with a few tools in ideal range that can reach.

For an example, 6PK is unsafe at -12 on block, but the distance that it creates keep her safe out of punishment range. Just you have proceed with caution after that because you're still negative on block.

PP6PK is the same variation as 6PK.

66K~K is -3 on block, which is safe. If the opponent blocks 66K, then follow up with the 2nd kick & you'll be fine. Worst case scenario is that they hold the 2nd kick.

3K is -8 on block. Most characters will not punish this out in open space since it also creates space, but grapplers will.

4H+K is arguably one of her best all-around tools because it can be used for just about anything from a sit-down stun, creating space (safe at -6) on block, bounding state, whiff punishment if used correctly, & guaranteed damage.

6KK is -7 (semi-safe). If this is blocked, then they will have to use a neutral throw 5T. That's when you throw break.

33K is a launcher. It's -16, but can't be throw punished in open space due to the pushback/space it creates.

I'm wishing that 6PP's pushback on block wasn't nerfed. That sucks, but I can understand why it was done since it was guaranteeing 66K like 3P+K, 66PP6P, PPPPP, 44PPPPP, & 3PPPP :(

Take a look at these 2 threads. They will help you greatly/ Let us know if you have anymore questions.

http://www.freestepdodge.com/thread...ny-doa5u-kasumi-comprehensive-breakdown.2921/
http://www.freestepdodge.com/threads/kasumis-beginner-tutorial.3533/

Last edited:

Soaring Zero

I'd be glad to play with you sometime. Feel free to add me(if you play on PS3 that is). I'm always down to play with other Kasumi players.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD