Moves that avoid (and crush) mid wake up kicks

Akumasama

Can't say it's the first time moves like these are present in a DoA game, but two in particular in DoA6 are leaving me kinda puzzled.
Hitomi's 8+P+K and Nyotengu's 7+K

These moves seem to avoid and crush mid wake up kicks. It doesn't work 100%, but there's a pretty generous window allowing that to happen.
We see a mid wake up kick going right through the mid of the opponent's body and wiffing while getting hit instead.

I wonder... is this meant to be? Did they create those two moves on purpose? Or is it a mistake they decided not to fix for whatever reason?
At least in the other moves that avoid/crush mid wake up kick the enemy is up in the air, I swear this looks very ugly :x

KasumiLover

xX_APO_Prince_Xx
Premium Donor
Can't say it's the first time moves like these are present in a DoA game, but two in particular in DoA6 are leaving me kinda puzzled.
Hitomi's 8+P+K and Nyotengu's 7+K

These moves seem to avoid and crush mid wake up kicks. It doesn't work 100%, but there's a pretty generous window allowing that to happen.
We see a mid wake up kick going right through the mid of the opponent's body and wiffing while getting hit instead.

I wonder... is this meant to be? Did they create those two moves on purpose? Or is it a mistake they decided not to fix for whatever reason?
At least in the other moves that avoid/crush mid wake up kick the enemy is up in the air, I swear this looks very ugly :x
I thinks it meant to be since you're hitting the opponent at the exact moment that their wake up kick doesn't have the invincibility property anymore and your strike happens to be quick enough and strong enough to beat it out.

I know for Kasumi if you time 66H+K at the right time, she can avoid mid wake up kicks and even knock them down if she times it right. She can also do this with 7K, 8K, I think it's just about timing and the strength of the attack vs a wake up kick

Akumasama

I thinks it meant to be since you're hitting the opponent at the exact moment that their wake up kick doesn't have the invincibility property anymore and your strike happens to be quick enough and strong enough to beat it out.
Things like these always happened but required a pretty strict timing, making them not really reliable.
Here we're talking about a very generous frame window allowing such strikes to overcome mid wake up kicks (and low as well, but at least for those it makes sense since they have "jumping" properties and, as such, they are meant to avoid all lows).

I dunno, it looks ugly.
I'm not sure I'd call this mechanic "overpowered", I don't think it is. I wouldn't call it particularly balanced either, but most of all it's simply nonsensical and ugly to see, imho.

I know for Kasumi if you time 66H+K at the right time
That requires pretty strict timing, less than previous games, but still strict.
There's also a couple of moves from Nico that are very annoying and avoid pretty much anything, but those too require strict timing (slightly more generous than Kasumi's, but nowhere as close as the two moves I'm talking about)
Brad Wong has several of these moves too but, again, same boat as Nico's moves.

...in hindsight it looks like they really wanted to nerf wake up kicks. Was it really that needed? Honest question.
Aside from the answer, I still think they should do something about those 2 moves specifically, they look so wrong, I cringe every time I see that happening and want to gouge my eyes out >_<

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD