need advice to became a better player on doa 5

kazenouta

Hi I'm new of this forum. I want to ask for advices. First I have to explain my situation. I have played a lot with doa 2 for playstation 2. I really like the game and I was good. Then 3 weeks ago I downloaded doa 5. from ps plus. I soon discovered that I have to start training from the start 'cause the character had more moves, throw, ecc ... For this reason I start training the move in the tutorial for a lot of time, I played the arcade and the versus matches and also online matches (ranking and non). Actually I'm a D ranking and I play with a.i.. level 5. I'm a real emotive player and this is a real pain 'cause sometime I get nervous even when I can win easily and I finished to do stupid thing during the match. Moreover I have to play different characters ( min. 4 or 5) because I get bored to use always the same and my efficienty dropped when I use for a long time the same character. I want same advice to get better.
1- how to get better with holds? Now i found really easy hold a mid punch, but I found difficult to hold kick. I need to train I know but where is better, offline with a.i or online?
2- throw during battle. I start to learn how to do it. At first i was really slow but now I can do throw during a match. I want to ask when it is safest to use throw? And another question. I found really difficult to throw quick character like ayane,kasumi and christie. have you some advice?
I use as I wrote different character for now they are helena, kasumi, eliot, and kokoro. I'm not at the same level with all. Probably I'm better with helena and kasumi. I have at least one question for two of them.
3 Talk about Helena, she have infinite combo possibilities but she can easily be blocked an countered. Can I ask for some safe move to start a combo? And I found that every character have a quick move for example kokoro 66p or 66k. I thought that one of helena quick move is 4pp i am right? If I am wrong can you tell me one of her quick move that can 'cause stagger?
4 I really like eliot but I found pretty difficult to use him because he is to predictable whit his punch and a lot of his combos are unsafe. I really want to use him so I want ask for advice.
5 online I found same really good player that beat me to a pulp. I can't do nothing and I mean nothing againts theme. I read other post about this topic and someone said that this experience serves to make you better. Personally I only understand that I was weak and the opponent player is god and i get a little frustrated. I feel a little useless like all my effort in training mean nothing. Luckily I'm really persistent so I recover quickly from those experience. I really want to became better and this mean that I want to beat them or at least give them same problem. However they have a solid defense. I use different pattern so I think I'm not so predictable but they hold my move easily. I'm not an aggressive player but I became with them cause they use to walk a lot and stay on defense. I get nervous and start to attack. How can i handle this fighter?
6 final question. As I said I am really emotive and it's a pain to be like that. How can i change this aspect? Have you same good advice?

(If there are same grammar errors I apologize. English is not my first language. I hope that what I written is understandable. Moreover I know there are sections for every characters so if you believe that the questions about helena and elliot had to be reposted on the right section I do it and apologize.

Sly Bass

Premium Donor
Eliot can be a strong character if you utilize string cancellations. What I find his strength to be is that his strings can be delayed, they all look the same, and differentiating between what punch is a high and low is nearly impossible. I'll see if I can upload you a video of my friend who plays Elliot really well. He beat me in the match, but I had to save it because it was such a fun fight.

Sly Bass

Premium Donor
Also, check out pokerking under the media section. He plays Eliot really well too.

Bushido

1. It takes time and practice to get better with holds. I'd say playing online is a better way, because you'll probably end up playing with real people more often then a.i.
2. From my experience, you throw when someone whiffs a hold or is guarding and you have a fast throw (like kasumi)
3. 4k causes stun and is only 14 frames
5. Getting beaten to a pulp helps you a lot more than beating someone to a pulp. At least for me, it motivates me to get better
6. Just think of it as a friendly match and just have fun. No real reason to get nervous online, it's not like you're playing for $10,000
I hope this helps :)

kazenouta

bushido I add you immediately XD
Don't worry master when you can we train XD now I enter online and search for you XD

kazenouta

thank you very much Steve. This Eliot is really good. XD And thanks for your advice about pokerking87. He is really good and teach me very well. I hope to became a lot bettere under his guide.

Sly Bass

Premium Donor
Yeah, Eliot is a really strong character. People are quick to say a character sucks if they're unpopular. Make his style work for you. You can really take him to the next level with string cancels. Go into training and find his fast frame moves and also learn which strings leave you at a frame advantage. Good Luck!

EDog21

I would say from my experience at Final Round thus weekend, slow escaping and good defense in general is important to reaching next level. That, and knowing as many character matchups as possible.

rximmortal

6 final question. As I said I am really emotive and it's a pain to be like that. How can i change this aspect? Have you same good advice?

This is your best enemy my friend. The fastest way to get away from this is to know what to do in each situation.
Because when you know what to do in each situation you feel pretty invulnerable and start thinking only strategies how to win and watching your oponent for mistakes.Unfortunately to know what to do in each situation needs its time and i shall try to give you the main base idea despise the character you play main to shorten this time.
1 - You need to learn "SET UP MOVES" - these are moves or combos that set your oponent to sertain situation and most recently left you in advantage.
2 - All you set ups must lead to FORCE TECH combos , Pseudo FORCE TECH combos or WALL BOUNCES.
- FORCE TECH LEAVE you with very big advantage which allows you to make any attack safely.
- PSEUDO FORCE TECH are situations where if your oponent tech roll he will escape but you still will be in advantage , but enough to make a set up move.
-WALL BOUNCES are very trick situations. When you finish you oponent on the wall and he starts dropping the floar, the moment he hit the floar(You make a down grab move if your character allows it to happened), If he do not tech roll this situation you will grab him , if he do you are in slight advantage so you can continue with any fast move from this point and set another set up. If you are not with grab orientired character you can use down hit to make force tech, and if he force tech you continue combo from this down hit.
3 - Use moves that have some move invulnerability. For example Crouch hits evades high and grab , jumping hit evades low and grab and so on.
All this maybe sounds difficult but it is a lot easier when you get the idea. The problem is that you will not find many replays with a players that do these things. The pro players you can watch on internet do them but they have played too many each other and u will hardly figured out these situations.
If you are really interested in what i wrote upper ping me a private msg i will answer if you have any more questions.

kazenouta

yeah thank both of you. Edog21 I start to build a solid defense. I'm still not so good but I can defend my self Thanks for the advice.
rximmortal your explaniaton is really good and exaustive. I already start to do wall bounces and forch tech and I,ve become a little better with my horrible problem of personality. XD I appreciate your advice. theu are all precious. Thanks a lot.

Lasmir

If you want to learn Eliot then learn it from XCaliBur BladeZ his Eliot is craaazy. You can watch some of his matches on youtube just type his gt and Eliot.

kazenouta

I already see that matches but thx. Yes his eliot is definetely strong. Learn from him I don't know how to do that thing. But Poker teach me very well. Now I can do a lot of thing with Eliot. I need a lot of experience now to became better so I start to fight strong opponent. I'm confident that with time and more experience I can became better.

Pokerking87

Yeah he doesnt need Tips from the 360 Fraction. Sry my harsh words i wrote you a message never answered me also gtfo lasmir!

Lasmir

Yeah he doesnt need Tips from the 360 Fraction. Sry my harsh words i wrote you a message never answered me also gtfo lasmir!
Yeah i saw your message but i couldn't figure out how to respond there was nothing i could write in im new to this forum don't know how stuff works. Also i diden't understand what you ment by "Haufen Baguettes"?

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD