New gameplay vids

RoboJoe

Akira vs Hayate, things I noticed:

-Akira's :P+K: does not push back like in VF, instead puts opponent in stomach holding stun
-Akira's :1::P: no longer knocks down, puts them in stun instead
-Akira's :4::3::P::Link::P+K: can be delayed for a long time
-Akira's :6::6::6::P: looks like you can't combo anything from it unlike in VF
-Stun palm of doom looks faster, but I'm not sure

Doug Nguyen

Also i noticed in the hitmoi vs kasumi gameplay that during a combo before you hit someone a segment of the opponents health bar flashes as if its showing how much the next attack will hurt them. What does it really mean though?

DrDogg

Also i noticed in the hitmoi vs kasumi gameplay that during a combo before you hit someone a segment of the opponents health bar flashes as if its showing how much the next attack will hurt them. What does it really mean though?

DrDogg via IGN said:
Astute viewers may notice that every attack that stuns causes a small amount of grey to appear on the health gauge. If you perform two Critical Bursts during the course of a combo the second Burst inflicts real damage in place of the grey health. Think of it as a visual representation of the stun threshold. When the grey health is gone, the maximum stun threshold has been reached.

As an example, if you connect with an attack that stuns the opponent, the attack inflicts damage and causes a small portion of the opponent’s health gauge to flash grey. If you perform a normal attack at this point, more damage is inflicted, eating into the grey portion of the health gauge, but a small amount of grey will still remain until the maximum stun threshold is reached (at which point the opponent falls to the ground). If you use a Critical Burst, the entirety of the grey portion becomes real damage, and depending on how deep into the stun you are, the opponent is placed in the new, unholdable stun.

- http://www.ign.com/ipl/all/news/dead-or-alive-5-gameplay-changes/

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor

It's the critical threshold/state. If stun extension exceeds that amount then the opponent falls to knock down state. It's been in DOA since DOA++, and has always been visible on the life bars.

DOA4 was the first to use it to affect launcher height. The closer to maximum threshold you get when launching the opponent, the higher the opponent is launched. That has been carried over into DOA5 with the exception that the variance in launch heights have been diminished to allow an early threshold launch a better juggle height than DOA4.

The reason that "Two Critical Burst attacks will cause Critical Burst Stun" is because the first Critical Burst is putting them into the Critical Threshold/State, and the second one is the 'launcher' that is exceeding the Critical Max Threshold: The requirement to receive the Critical Burst Stun.

DrDogg

Oh thats cool. So basically.
1. Stun the opponent.
2. Then perform a critical burst? Or do you have to attack a bit more then Critical burst?

The unholdable CB stun only occurs when the CB attack crosses the maximum stun threshold. If you use the same attack twice it usually does this, so two CB attacks at any point during a combo will cause the CB stun. For just one CB attack to cause the stun, the attack has to push you over the maximum threshold. Different attacks push the threshold in different ways.

I'm toying with including this "stat" in the frame data featured in the strategy guide, but it depends on how time-consuming it is to mine that data and how worthwhile its inclusion would be. If only a few attacks differ, then I'd just mention that in the character sections instead of the frame data charts.

The reason that "Two Critical Burst attacks will cause Critical Burst Stun" is because the first Critical Burst is putting them into the Critical Threshold/State...

The first CB doesn't have to put them in the state if they're already in it. You can use any attack that stuns, then CB as the second and third attack and it still works.

Shinigamimatt

http://www.vandal.net/video/19607/jugando-a-dead-or-alive-5-vandal-tv-e3-2012

I'm going to have so much fun with Kasumi. Her 66K can hop over people? Awesome. Some of her attacks from 4 looked slightly safer, but it's hard to tell from just watching. I also like her 2 hit blow. I assume it's :6: :P+K: + :P:?

2 hits means less pokes to get held. Though it's probably wicked unsafe on block. Not to mention her 2KK from Dimensions is in. Awesome combo mix-ups since I used her 2K for trips in DOA4 regularly.

DrDogg

http://www.vandal.net/video/19607/jugando-a-dead-or-alive-5-vandal-tv-e3-2012

I'm going to have so much fun with Kasumi. Her 66K can hop over people? Awesome. Some of her attacks from 4 looked slightly safer, but it's hard to tell from just watching. I also like her 2 hit blow. I assume it's :6: :P+K: + :P:?

2 hits means less pokes to get held. Though it's probably wicked unsafe on block. Not to mention her 2KK from Dimensions is in. Awesome combo mix-ups since I used her 2K for trips in DOA4 regularly.

Kasumi was very, very unsafe in the E3 build. If that doesn't change, you won't want to use 66K unless it's a guaranteed hit, the opponent is stunned, or you're only trying to jump over someone (in which case she has better options I think).

Shinigamimatt

Kasumi was very, very unsafe in the E3 build. If that doesn't change, you won't want to use 66K unless it's a guaranteed hit, the opponent is stunned, or you're only trying to jump over someone (in which case she has better options I think).
Ahh, thank you. It's probably terrible move in most situations. It might go over lows, but that's a risk i'm not willing to take with her.

DrDogg

Ahh, thank you. It's probably terrible move in most situations. It might go over lows, but that's a risk i'm not willing to take with her.

It's relatively fast, jumps over lows, stuns on normal hit, and has a follow-up that causes a sit-down stun. But if it's blocked you're being juggled, and if it hits the opponent can counter the second attack on reaction.

Shinigamimatt

Ah, that's very in depth. Awesome. In the video I noticed even when Kasumi missed the kicks completely she looked a little unsafe. It was fast though. I assume if your reflexes were fast you can punish a 6KK whiff?

DrDogg

Ah, that's very in depth. Awesome. In the video I noticed even when Kasumi missed the kicks completely she looked a little unsafe. It was fast though. I assume if your reflexes were fast you can punish a 6KK whiff?

66KK was actually safe, but you can interrupt between the two attacks if the first is blocked. You can also sidestep both attacks.

You can punish it if it whiffs, but that depends on your character and spacing.

Doug Nguyen

The unholdable CB stun only occurs when the CB attack crosses the maximum stun threshold. If you use the same attack twice it usually does this, so two CB attacks at any point during a combo will cause the CB stun. For just one CB attack to cause the stun, the attack has to push you over the maximum threshold. Different attacks push the threshold in different ways.

I'm toying with including this "stat" in the frame data featured in the strategy guide, but it depends on how time-consuming it is to mine that data and how worthwhile its inclusion would be. If only a few attacks differ, then I'd just mention that in the character sections instead of the frame data charts.

The first CB doesn't have to put them in the state if they're already in it. You can use any attack that stuns, then CB as the second and third attack and it still works.

Oh ok. I never knew any of this in DOA4. So if you get someone into a stun and the life bar flashes. Do you just do an attack to keep them in a stun or do you have to do a stun attack again to keep them in the stun to do the critical burst afterwards? Sorry i just started realizing how much deeper DOA is seeming to be.

Oh and at what point should you do the critical burst once they have been staggered. Can you do it to early or too late or as long as they are staggered the critical burst attack always puts them into critical state?

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD