DOA5LR Online Beta Test for Steam, from 6/24 to 6/30.

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
Btw, anyone ever tried to play the game while listening to music from an external player (not the steam music player)?

I just noticed that when I listen to music (using winamp), the music volume randomly switches between loud and quiet when searching opponents in ranked mode. Though it's still fine in the menu. That doesn't occur in any other game.

It's due to your mic settings set to allow for your to easily hear someone talking. So if someone is speaking through a mic (like they are when you're finding people in search) it would lower and raise as the system recognizes a mic being used.
Is anyone else getting the impression that the PC release is only getting worked on by one guy during his lunch break?

Yes, and knowing what I know of Koei I wouldn't be surprised if they only gave him half of his/her break to use towards it...

Fiend Busa

Standard Donor
Only if I had the wealth of Bill Gates. I would pay off Koei so that Team Ninja can be an independent company and then fund them to make an epic DOA/NG

Lulu

Okay so its Tuesday..... I hope the beta went well for everybody including Team Ninja and but most importantly I hope it was Fruitful.....

Really glad this game came to the PC. :)

Edit... wait so the Beta is still going on ?
I have to relay the details back to a seperate forum I posted in.

tokiopewpew

Standard Donor
It's due to your mic settings set to allow for your to easily hear someone talking. So if someone is speaking through a mic (like they are when you're finding people in search) it would lower and raise as the system recognizes a mic being used.

Lol yeah, I understand that this is for hearing voices better, but if there is no opponent, there is no reason to lower the music haha. Anyway, I disabled this in the OS settings, see if it happens again next time.

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
Lol yeah, I understand that this is for hearing voices better, but if there is no opponent, there is no reason to lower the music haha. Anyway, I disabled this in the OS settings, see if it happens again next time.

Right, but there *is* an opponent when it's initially trying to matchmake you. It will cancel before giving you the fight request if they are not compatible with your search criteria or accept another match in the process.

tokiopewpew

Standard Donor
Right, but there *is* an opponent when it's initially trying to matchmake you. It will cancel before giving you the fight request if they are not compatible with your search criteria or accept another match in the process.

The game should not indicate that it is going to do some kind of voice transfer unless the connection between both network participants (client <> server or client) is fully established within given criteria. And I don't believe there is an opponent as long as the label shows "Searching for opponent". There is one when you can see his stats and decline or accept the match or there "was" one if a message at the bottom of the screen says "No opponent was found matching your criteria" (or something like that).

The comparison of search criteria should only happen on the online server everyone is connected to and not on the different clients itself, meaning as long as the server does not tell me that I fit your criteria, my PC shouldn't even know that you are using a microphone.

Anyway, it the end it just shows again that their matchmaking system is somewhat weird.

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
I suggest putting in a bug report to Team NINJA along that effect then if you consider it a bug or improper behavior.

Tempest

I really wish there was a way to mute or adjust the volume of your opponent's mic. It wasn't as much of a problem in the console version but a much larger percentage of people have a microphone plugged into their PC.

Rezzco9

I really wish there was a way to mute or adjust the volume of your opponent's mic. It wasn't as much of a problem in the console version but a much larger percentage of people have a microphone plugged into their PC.
Also the consoles can mute the mics atleast ps4 but yeah im pretty sure alot of the peoples dont even know they have it on since the game never tells u .. Sadly because of this im forced to mute the game sound at times.

Legendary Goken

Standard Donor
I love and respect you, Team Ninja. And I'm thankful that you've brought DOA5LR to PC, but all these delays are just painful, especially to those who only have a PC.

Please note that the PC line should have some kind of back-bone of it's own, to equally compete with it's console counterparts, such as the addition of online lobbies. A lobby is important, because it will help us get better with the people we want to play with, further increasing your fan base.

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
I imagine the muting problem was one of the things they had to delay the online patch with (along with other things, but just saying it seems to be one of the most common reports). The consoles didn't have an in-game mute option because the consoles allowed you to mute a person at a global level through their OSes.

Kohlrak

I imagine the muting problem was one of the things they had to delay the online patch with (along with other things, but just saying it seems to be one of the most common reports). The consoles didn't have an in-game mute option because the consoles allowed you to mute a person at a global level through their OSes.

This tells me that the mic is already recording or their development team is much like that of the Windows Vista dev team, where no one knows who's responsibility it is to do something because upper management won't let them talk to each other. So, it gets set to run "on connect" regardless of whether or not it fits. I can just imagine that annoying random battle thing that everyone disables immediately. Sitting in the lab "press f2 to accept challengers" and you already hear that he's an annoying opponent.

Meddling-Monk

The funny thing is this: I turned the mic settings to zero, push to talk, etc, and today I found out that the mic on the Webcam was still picking up the sound when a player kindly notified me over voice chat.

Turns out the third party application that installed went and overrode these settings inside Steam and sent the steam anyway. Players double check if you have a Webcam instead of standard mic. The standard Steam voice settings may not be enough.

Kohlrak

The funny thing is this: I turned the mic settings to zero, push to talk, etc, and today I found out that the mic on the Webcam was still picking up the sound when a player kindly notified me over voice chat.

Turns out the third party application that installed went and overrode these settings inside Steam and sent the steam anyway. Players double check if you have a Webcam instead of standard mic. The standard Steam voice settings may not be enough.

Computers are designed this way, unfortunately. Also, as far as ring 3 applications are concerned, the webcam mic is a regular mic. Things are designed to "fallback" when there are errors. Unfortunately, this is the same mentality that things always ask if you're sure about something, so there's no option to turn this behavior off in most programs.

Meddling-Monk

Well, I've disabled it, but have to do it manually unfortuantely every time now. Which also means zero voice chat from me forever as well, since I can't just turn it off and back on in time to say anything. Not an ideal situation really. Hmmm...

Meddling-Monk

Computers are designed this way, unfortunately. Also, as far as ring 3 applications are concerned, the webcam mic is a regular mic. Things are designed to "fallback" when there are errors. Unfortunately, this is the same mentality that things always ask if you're sure about something, so there's no option to turn this behavior off in most programs.

Yeah I know, I was under the unfortunate impression that Steam had control over the settings a bit better as some other applications do, but they seem to rely more on Windows itself to determine unfortunately. Still, glad I'm on top of the matter now (unwanted broadcasting). Still unsure on how to do that and participate in any voice chat though if needed. :confused:

Kohlrak

Yeah I know, I was under the unfortunate impression that Steam had control over the settings a bit better as some other applications do, but they seem to rely more on Windows itself to determine unfortunately. Still, glad I'm on top of the matter now (unwanted broadcasting). Still unsure on how to do that and participate in any voice chat though if needed. :confused:

Windows is designed so applications are like that. This is not only good design, but makes porting apps to other OSes (the main reason why people stick with winblows is the apps and illusions of difficulty). It only makes sense that they "keep trying." If they fail to keep trying, and something goes wrong, the alternative is to require game restarts (or exiting multiplayer to go to settings at the very least) to get things working again.

Akumasama

Game crashes each time I try to look for an online match.
Is it ok because the beta period is over or did something break in my local install?
Been like that for the past few days. Was working fine on the day of beta release

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
Game crashes each time I try to look for an online match.
Is it ok because the beta period is over or did something break in my local install?
Been like that for the past few days. Was working fine on the day of beta release

Don't search Any Region, best way to avoid crashes when searching.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD