Online multiplayer is a complete disappointment

I've owned almost every fighting game this gen, and my group of 7 people I play with have only had issues with 3 games, MK9 and KOF XII & XIII.
We all play on wired connections on 360 and we control our Internet connections IE no one else has access to our router minus our wives, and when we play we are not on our computers or using our connections for something else.
We've played DOA 5 and it's been lag free, but I can't say for sure how everyone else's connection is.
Some countries have better Internet than others, I'm on a cable modem, but some my be on DSL and on wifi, heck some may be using a moble hotspot to play games (I know a guy that does that....seriously) so I may be on their end if you're connected well.
I'll just say this, if you are on wifi and are playing a fighting game, you may have. 5 bar connection, but you will lose connection for a few secs here and their, so a 5 bar wifi can fool you thus leading to a laggy 5 bar game.

Sagittarius

The lag sucks, as we all know. But the lack of 4-player tag makes playing online extremely boring, it was what made DOA4 last so long for me.

Onslaught X

People complain because even on 5bars the netcode is shit compared to some other fighting games on the market.
People SHOULD complain when the netcode is noticably worse than that of DOAU which was released like 10 years ago.
If your connection is shit than you only have yourselves to blame. It's as simple as that. Yes, it'd be nice if all fighting games had a netcode like Blazblue does, but that's just not going to happen. Again, it's peer to peer. Fix your connection or stop bitching. It's really as simple as that.

Ooobe

I'm wired on PS3 and have only once noticed lag on VF5FS. Outside of ranked I've not played any smooth games of DOA5. I also keep getting throwdown challenges which turn into "the other player is unable to play.." even though I'm the one accepting the invite. <I know about the frame issues with throwdowns enabled, not really concerned while I'm training or unlocking. I do disable it when I care.>. Ranked matches have actually been acceptable, though not great, so I guess that's where I'll be for a while. Lag also seems to always get worse when I have the advantage, but that's likely just me being paranoid.;)

Sett

Team Ninja's games always have a habit of having shite online. While TTT2 is all like "Oh you have red ping, let me just give you a flawlessly smooth game anyway."

shunwong

I just bought the game. Immediately input my online pass and go for Quick Match. I had two fights no problem (XBOX360 + Wireless I'm the only one using the wireless). I'll report more later. So far so good.

Female Tengu

Well I have to agree. Played online a bit yesterday and the netcode is indeed..uhm...not the best :rolleyes:

I'm from germany and had a match with some canadians (4 grey bars). No problems. But then, playing with someone from my friendslist, who is german as well...oh dear. 30fps or so xD

Omegan Eckhart

I have played people in a lot of different countries and the connection has been great. I've played 1 bars connections constantly and it is smooth and enjoyable, playing internationally on DOA4 was crap most of the time but this game is a hell of a lot better.

It's like I'm playing a different game than everyone else lol

I have played people in a lot of different countries and the connection has been great. I've played 1 bars connections constantly and it is smooth and enjoyable, playing internationally on DOA4 was crap most of the time but this game is a hell of a lot better.

It's like I'm playing a different game than everyone else lol

Same here, it's crazy

Atrabilious

Played about 30 matches online yesterday. Four of them were ranked and I experienced slight amounts of lag in those two.

There rest were in lobby games and it was SC5 esque. Nice and smooth, all was good. Apart from the lobby owners being salty but eh.

I'm fairly impressed by it.

Jefffcore

If your connection is shit than you only have yourselves to blame. It's as simple as that. Yes, it'd be nice if all fighting games had a netcode like Blazblue does, but that's just not going to happen. Again, it's peer to peer. Fix your connection or stop bitching. It's really as simple as that.
There are so many variables in the mix that it doesn't even matter if you have good internet. I can play VF5 with anyone and have virtually know lag (pun intended), I can't play a whole lot of anyone on DOA5 without lag of some kind. It's not acceptable.

SkatanMilla

I've been playing competetively in several games for 7 years straight now, you would think that has given me a lot of experience when it comes to different netcodes. Based on other games that I have played on the same connection I can say that Doa5 has sub par netcode. If you're not noticing it then you're either compelely biased or you're blind to what lag is.

Prince Adon

Best in the World!!!
Premium Donor
I've played online for the first time last night with a friend and we hardly had any lag. The lag we did had wasn't a big deal. Then again I just care to play casual online with friends. Nothing to take serious. Just have fun. If it's completely unplayable that's another problem. It run much better for me than DOA4 did.

MCDOA

I joined here just to voice my complains I have with the online mode, because it's the strangest thing.

Whenever I play someone online it shows their bars fine, grey or blue, but as soon as the match starts lag starts to get intense, even for matches from my own country. The few matches I've actually finished then show me that the connection from my opponent has turned to red. Somehow something is messing up my connections, and I don't think it's on my end. My NAT isn't strict, and I can play other games fine online. SSF4 and SFXT perfectly, and even KOFXIII is doable, but the lag on DOA5 is unbearable.

I'm such a huge fan of the series, but I feel so disappointed right now. Honestly, a waste of money, and to think I bought the CE edition just to show my support.

So that's why I joined, in the hopes of sharing my experiences, so that they can release a patch to fix this.

EDIT: Even DOA4 runs a million times better than this.

I don't understand people having shoddy connections/gameplay online.

I live in a small town surrounded by farming communities in Ontario. While granted within my town I do pay for the best internet that can be provided here, I am sure it is nothing compared to what you can get in a big city. I am ultra sensitive to netcode and I would drop this game if it did not meet my expectations.

I find the netcode to be better than sc5/on par with vf5:fs, to those with problems I will continually ask, are you on wireless? are you behind a firewall or a really elaborate router setup?

Just last night I had a great set against a guy from california, and from me to Cali is literally the entire distance of the United States, people need to make sure their online setup is optimal before judging.

CatzDaLegit

Tina Purist
Premium Donor
The netcode is better than it was in doa4 I think. My problem is, I don't there is enough people or something? It's hard to find ranked matches sometimes. It's like doa5 being released on two consoles split the population up so it's harder to find people. *shrugs*

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD