Option Selects

Madian

Here's some ideas for option selects utilizing safe throw buffers.

As most of you should know throw teching involves inputing a throw just after your opponent grabs you. You can't tech a throw while blocking or performing a hold obviously. You must anticipate the throw because they have such a fast startup. This leads to risky situations such as performing your own throw instead of teching a throw and giving your opponent a hi counter.

You CAN, however, input a throw tech during situations in which performing a throw is impossible. The input will still function as a throw tech if your opponent grabs you during it's active window. These situations are the only example of option selects I've found in DoA thus far.

While being thrown out of a dash or sidestep results in a hi counter throw, you can still buffer a throw tech into a dash or sidestep. While the throw tech is a P+H command, what's special about P+H is that the throw input overrides the P and H keys. This is important because it means the game's computer will not see the Punch or Hold input and you can buffer the throw tech into sidesteps, dashes, attack strings etc. without fear of messing up so long as you either use the throw button or hit P and H at the same time every time.

So let's say you make a bad read and end up -7 on block in front of your opponent and they know you are disadvantaged. You have the option of sidestepping then input a throw buffer followed by a sidestep attack if you chance it. Alternately you could buffer some sort of attack with evasion or crush properties and buffer a throw into that. Either way if your opponent attempts the throw you tech it automatically. If they attack you instead then no throw comes out and you will perform the first action you buffered into your recovery frames.

If anyone else knows some good option selects I would like to hear them.

shinryu

Yeah, this is pretty good stuff, probably absolutely key to using Helena worth a damn.

You could argue the low holds are option selects (offensive and defensive), but I think that's pretty common knowledge. Now that I think about it though I need to test some crap with low OH at disadvantage tonight.

Am I right in thinking that, if I don't input a sidestep attack after the buffered throw escape, I will attempt a delayed throw attempt, after the sidestep animation?

Bam of the Ppl

im pretty sure this is in the Prima guide at least to my understanding of it. Good to put the info out for those who dont know though.

avi

i think if you get thrown on high on high counter your unable to throw break. not sure

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
i think if you get thrown on high on high counter your unable to throw break. not sure

That is true. Only for neutral throws, but being thrown while side stepping is Counter Throw damage. Either way, you'd be able to break the neutral throw.

Madian

I tested this out extensively against grapplers and characters with 9 frame jabs. You can buffer the throw tech into normal sidesteps, character unique sidesteps and evasive moves. You can even use it for attack chains that have big enough gabs in between hits to allow a throw attempt. Highly recommended!

virtuaPAI

I am the reason why you are here!!!
Staff member
Administrator
Another option select would be stagger escape ~ Throw escape.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD