Community Oy, With the Racism, Already!

Status
Not open for further replies.

lotr9690

Those Japs sure love their lolis.

judging-you-anderson-cooper.gif

Jeez, Louis. Not all of us "Japs" here in JP are loli fans.

I'm not trying to pick on you but there is a lot of people on this forum that have made casually racist, generalizing and/or similarly flippant remarks -- and the MODERATORS are perpetrators of this, as well. I'm officially giving everyone notice. Don't put words in my mouth or others. Japanese people are not a giant blob. We're individuals. I didn't learn English to f*cking read this kind of shit. I -- and I'm sure others -- are a part of your community. In lieu of saying that "Japanese are all perverts who love fanservice" etc. Find a different way to express that.

Also, moderators. When you say silly generalizing remarks on the forums it gives everyone the "OK" to do so as well.
And it's not WWII anymore. Lay off "Jap," it's still a racist slur. This particular user is listed as being from England so I imagine he knows.

Finally, I don't care why someone says the racist, or stereotyped/generalized comment. The reasons don't matter; I don't care if someone's trying to be funny; I don't care if they don't mean anything by it. I care THAT they type it.

I'm all for freedom of expression but I also believe in freedom from all forms of harrassment which includes racism; no matter how veiled it looks.

Thank you for your time.

Squizzo

Okay first off I said that as a generalisation in jest and didn't mean to offend anyone or for my comment to even be taken seriously.
Secondly I used the term 'Jap' as a shortened version of Japanese just as 'Brit' is used as a shortened version of British, I definitely didn't intend it to be a racial slur. I have a great respect for Japanese culture and the Japanese people. You would be hard pressed to find anyone who is more for equality of all people in this world, there really isn't a racist bone in my body.
So I apologise to anyone I have offended it was sincerely not my intent and I will remove the post in question if needs be.

lotr9690

Okay first off I said that as a generalisation in jest and didn't mean to offend anyone or for my comment to even be taken seriously.
Secondly I used the term 'Jap' as a shortened version of Japanese just as 'Brit' is used as a shortened version of British, I definitely didn't intend it to be a racial slur. I have a great respect for Japanese culture and the Japanese people. You would be hard pressed to find anyone who is more for equality of all people in this world, there really isn't a racist bone in my body.
So I apologise to anyone I have offended it was sincerely not my intent and I will remove the post in question if needs be.

This thread isn't about your comment. (The abbreviation is "JP" not "Jap"). I refer back to my original post.

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
Yeah, a lot of modern day american's do not know that "Jap" is a racist slur, similar to "Nip" I believe. It doesn't help that the internet breeds laziness so people think they are abbreviating Japanese because they don't feel like typing the full word. I personally just type it out, or if I'm abbreviating like using ENG for English, I use JP or JPN for Japanese.

CyberEvil

Master Ninja
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Donor
This does not need an entire discussion. I'm also not sure why moderators got called out when I haven't seen any say that or anything that was racially charged.

Argentus

Eh I can understand. I had a Mexican ex who always said "gringo", kept asking her to stop, she tried to argue "its not racist" even though every white person around was offended

Last edited:

lotr9690

This does not need an entire discussion. I'm also not sure why moderators got called out when I haven't seen any say that or anything that was racially charged.
You're illustrating my point. You may not notice this trend if you're not Japanese; when it's not part of your identity or nationality casual comments go unmarked.

1) I'm not going to hijack another thread to have this discussion. Yes, this does need it's own thread. There have been several occasions when moderators have equated Japanese people with "lolita" or made really stupid generalized comments about what Japanese people like. I reiterate: Japanese people are not some blob. We are individuals. Moderators and users alike have made comments that range from casual to just stupidly presumptuous -- I don't know why I'm even defending this. I'm not talking about the word "Jap." That pales in comparison to how many comments I've read about "those crazy Japanese pervs LOL" - or better yet "those japanese blah blah blah X LOL." Like, no. Not LOL. Again, I don't care if users are trying to be funny. I know they're not being racist on purpose. They may mean no harm. But they're perpetuating incredibly offensive stereotypes. We aren't all anime characters in a harem manga. Nor are the Japanese people the only ones who come up with those kind of storylines.

2) I believe in freedom of speech. It's not like I can do anything about what someone types. This thread is to bring it to everyone's attention. I'm not speaking as "every Japanese,"(though many would agree with my assessment).

I'm not saying that it is intentional racism. It's obviously veiled. It's going to require a modicum of critical thought to see it. If you really can't see what I'm saying don't bother responding; this is not a negotiation. The two examples above are stereotypes and generalizations by definition. They are being perpetuated. Doesn't matter what a user means by them.

Eh I can understand. I had a Mexican ex who always said "gringo", kept asking her to stop, she tried to argue "its not racist" even though every white person around was offended
You are exactly right! To call any Caucasian a gringo is insensitive and really immature. At least you dodged that bullet ;)
I bet you'll find a better girl:
tumblr_lp5meqwwQV1qfggsro1_500.gif

Reactions: CFW

Argentus

You're illustrating my point. You may not notice this trend if you're not Japanese; when it's not part of your identity or nationality casual comments go unmarked.

1) I'm not going to hijack another thread to have this discussion. Yes, this does need it's own thread. There have been several occasions when moderators have equated Japanese people with "lolita" or made really stupid generalized comments about what Japanese people like. I reiterate: Japanese people are not some blob. We are individuals. Moderators and users alike have made comments that range from casual to just stupidly presumptuous -- I don't know why I'm even defending this. I'm not talking about the word "Jap." That pales in comparison to how many comments I've read about "those crazy Japanese pervs LOL" - or better yet "those japanese blah blah blah X LOL." Like, no. Not LOL. Again, I don't care if users are trying to be funny. I know they're not being racist on purpose. They may mean no harm. But they're perpetuating incredibly offensive stereotypes. We aren't all anime characters in a harem manga. Nor are the Japanese people the only ones who come up with those kind of storylines.

2) I believe in freedom of speech. It's not like I can do anything about what someone types. This thread is to bring it to everyone's attention. I'm not speaking as "every Japanese,"(though many would agree with my assessment).

I'm not saying that it is intentional racism. It's obviously veiled. It's going to require a modicum of critical thought to see it. If you really can't see what I'm saying don't bother responding; this is not a negotiation. The two examples above are stereotypes and generalizations by definition. They are being perpetuated. Doesn't matter what a user means by them.

You are exactly right! To call any Caucasian a gringo is insensitive and really immature. At least you dodged that bullet ;)
Um. Not to take any sides, but to be fair it mostly comes up because there's a bit of truth to it, as shown in DOA5, especially since Marie Rose and all the fetish dlc and the Halloween contest.

So a) I understand being offended by the comments, and I apologize

However

b) It is going to continue simply as we react to the japanese fanbase's love for Marie Rose, ecchi outfits, and what looks to be a moe pirate girl. So for the moment you are going to have to bare with it.

Though I refuse to defend people who say "jap". That's on them, and no excuse. I know its easier than fully typing out "japanese", but not when its common knowledge that its a derogatory term.

CyberEvil

Master Ninja
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Donor

Oh the irony. You lump all moderators, and really the entire site, into a giant, racist conglomerate based on what you likely find to have been the 'last straw' by a member you publicly called out... And you want to imply that I'm stupid for not seeing it? It only requires a modicum of thought, eh? This isn't a negotiation? If you want a soapbox, find another. Your concerns are valid. Your approach is as casually offensive as the terminology that set you off. If you supposedly know people likely don't mean it, then mention it in passing out take it to a private conversation. Use the report function to call attention to an offensive post and the staff will address it.

I'm locking this thread. Feel free to message me directly to discuss it or speak to Mr
Wah about it. We don't tolerate racism or attacks on members and your thread here is lacking tact to the point that it itself reads like more of the latter. We can't notice every instance of an offensive post and that is what the report function is for. People can also edit posts if you ask them too. Use your personal status to post things like this. Maybe with less characters you can get just your point across and keep some of the vitriol out of it.

Last edited:

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
Not to take any sides, but to be fair it mostly comes up because there's a bit of truth to it, as shown in DOA5, especially since Marie Rose and all the fetish dlc and the Halloween contest.

That's generally how stereotyping starts: Take a bit of truth and blow it up to be applicable to the whole.

The fetish dlc and such comes up because it sells. It sells in the majority all across the world. It sells in a greater majority in all of asia. I believe the numbers I've heard was it's about 80-20 in Asia, and 60-40 in Europe and Americas.

pervs-pervs-everywhere.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD