Post Launch Nyotengu General Discussion

NewWestFan

Premium Donor
So since the game has been out for 2 weeks and some change (And after a week or so of bouncing around trying to find my second main for 6) I figure it's time to get to some general talk going. As I am new to Tengu I will be asking more questions than giving answers but I'm deeply dedicated to her as a second. She seems to retain a lot of what made her scary to fight in 5 to me with one mistake putting you into a full HT juggle and one of the best bounds in the w hole game.

I'm very happy with her damage output at the moment as it feels good but fair and her options feel up to the task as well. :P+K: is still absolutely vicious and I can't count the number of times with hair on my head that I've caught people trying to mash through negative with it. That being said I do have a few questions that I feel might help other new Tengu mains with some match-ups. I know the buffed up :8:/:2::s::s: is like, the move, against super linear strike pressure from a lot of the cast (Eliot, Kokoro, Christie, and Hitomi especially bite it hard) but it feels scummy since you don't actually need to really know the matchup to land it. Kind of a universal thing for everyone but if your block is eating strings it's another guessing game in a guessing game on whether or not they're expecting the SS and (As of B-) it seems most of the time they're not. I favor :2::P::P: against people mashing on block (With a high strike read) since it seems to crush and push them back out to almost mid-range which is (Correct me if I'm wrong) where Tengu wants you to be.

Are these her best options against pressure? :P+K: if you know they like to mash on negative and :2::P::P: for breathing room?

Being able to guarantee (Except Break Hold of course) a launcher into HT with :s::s: mid combo seems really strong since she doesn't have another Fatal Stun otherwise though I seem to be at a knowledge impasse with her BNB here. Is it really just [Insert counter strike poke to start stun such as :6::6::P:/:K:] [Couple of stun strikes] :s::s: :H+K:/:214::P::5::P+K: :P::P::5::P::P::P: (Unless they're heavier then just complete the first set) :1::P::5::P+K: :2::K: :2::T: (If they're lightweight)? I have absolutely no idea what to finish off with after the bound if they are either heavy/mid or mashing for the tech. If they're stupid and they don't tech (Read: Like to wakeup kick) I seem to be able to :1::P::P: :2::T: for a finish but I'm aware this isn't guaranteed and only works on new players. Obviously if you have the bar after the HT :P::P::P: you can BB Cancel on the bound and relaunch for another juggle and more damage but I would kill for some more experienced input here. I'll record some fights with her tonight to analyze.

Saro

Hey!
Good you started this thread, as I am trying to learn Nyotengu.

I pretty much struggle with spammers and just normal punch combos and kicks, especially Hitomi, Kasumi and Ayane feels really frustrating, but I'm pretty sure it's down my skills, not the character.

I haven't been able to find some kind of extensive Nyotengu tutorial on youtube yet!

just_me

Standard Donor
Can't say I'm particularly experienced, but here are my 2 cents:

Since I'm lazy I usually use :4::K: , :2::T: after the HT :P::P::P: bound in open space. The throw can be teched, but you are still at +6 in that case.
Near a wall I tend to do :3::P+K: (delayed) :P: , :2::T: They also have to tech to prevent the throw and should still be + if the throw whiffs (Not if you get the side wall hit though)

Don't really have much of an answer against pressure either except block it out and throw punish, try to interrupt a Free Cancel attempt with :P+K: try to crush with SSA, or :2::P::P:

NewWestFan

Premium Donor
Can't say I'm particularly experienced, but here are my 2 cents:

Since I'm lazy I usually use :4::K: , :2::T: after the HT :P::P::P: bound in open space. The throw can be teched, but you are still at +6 in that case.
Near a wall I tend to do :3::P+K: (delayed) :P: , :2::T: They also have to tech to prevent the throw and should still be + if the throw whiffs (Not if you get the side wall hit though)

Don't really have much of an answer against pressure either except block it out and throw punish, try to interrupt a Free Cancel attempt with :P+K: try to crush with SSA, or :2::P::P:
Yeah that's about where I'm at. I've just been trying to find a good solid ending to her bound. Everyone I meet online mashes so hard that the tech is always guaranteed for them unless they're super new. I hate feeling like I'm leaving damage on the table. It's super easy for Nyo to get into HT and get her bound off. I guess they had to balance it somehow and they chose to make her follow-up options wonky.
Hey!
Good you started this thread, as I am trying to learn Nyotengu.

I pretty much struggle with spammers and just normal punch combos and kicks, especially Hitomi, Kasumi and Ayane feels really frustrating, but I'm pretty sure it's down my skills, not the character.

I haven't been able to find some kind of extensive Nyotengu tutorial on youtube yet!
There really isn't one for her that I've seen. Against "Spammers" you just have to learn how to block their strings, when to and how to hold their predictable stuff, and against Hitomi and Ayane at least SS their linear stuff and pop them open like a can.

PJudge

Everyone I meet online mashes so hard that the tech is always guaranteed for them unless they're super new. I hate feeling like I'm leaving damage on the table. It's super easy for Nyo to get into HT and get her bound off. I guess they had to balance it somehow and they chose to make her follow-up options wonky.
If you get some distance I actually tend to use :4::P+K: mixed in with cancels if I notice them teching and recovering a lot as a sort of mind game, as most players will also sprint right up to you if they see you do it - and it's super easy to cancel and get :7::K: off after a cancel. What I did learn about :4::P+K: (not cancelled) is that if the opponent is close enough they can actually get a hold out of it - not sure if that was in 5 or not as nobody ever did it to me.

The other option that I see a lot is :4::6::P+K: after the HT :P::P::P: knockdown, but it's obviously not as much damage. Otherwise it's probably the :4::K: that I'd opt for and try to set up.

The thing I actually struggle most with is finding a low crush or strong button vs. Helena & Lisa!

NewWestFan

Premium Donor
If you get some distance I actually tend to use :4::P+K: mixed in with cancels if I notice them teching and recovering a lot as a sort of mind game, as most players will also sprint right up to you if they see you do it - and it's super easy to cancel and get :7::K: off after a cancel. What I did learn about :4::P+K: (not cancelled) is that if the opponent is close enough they can actually get a hold out of it - not sure if that was in 5 or not as nobody ever did it to me.

The other option that I see a lot is :4::6::P+K: after the HT :P::P::P: knockdown, but it's obviously not as much damage. Otherwise it's probably the :4::K: that I'd opt for and try to set up.

The thing I actually struggle most with is finding a low crush or strong button vs. Helena & Lisa!
You know surprisingly I've never experienced the Nyo/Lisa match up even though I play both. Nyo lacks a fast mid and that's pretty crippling against Helena and Lisa. Probably Brad Wong as well. You could 2PP to give yourself space if they get close but 2P is like 15 frames so not exactly quick. I guess against a Lisa/Helena I would be using 7K any time they go to do fancy shit at me? Not sure if that's optimal strategy but I would find it satisfying (Even as a Lisa main) to give her back some of that headache from her 12 frame 4H+K panic button.

PJudge

You know surprisingly I've never experienced the Nyo/Lisa match up even though I play both. Nyo lacks a fast mid and that's pretty crippling against Helena and Lisa. Probably Brad Wong as well. You could 2PP to give yourself space if they get close but 2P is like 15 frames so not exactly quick. I guess against a Lisa/Helena I would be using 7K any time they go to do fancy shit at me? Not sure if that's optimal strategy but I would find it satisfying (Even as a Lisa main) to give her back some of that headache from her 12 frame 4H+K panic button.
Holy hell it's 12 frames, that explains why I was struggling to interrupt. It's probably one of the harder matchups, especially Lisa. But yes, 7K was incredibly satisfying to land - as from the range after the followup you kinda have all the space to play with, although this was more of a thing vs Helena. Knockback playstyle can be fun at times :p

NewWestFan

Premium Donor
Holy hell it's 12 frames, that explains why I was struggling to interrupt. It's probably one of the harder matchups, especially Lisa. But yes, 7K was incredibly satisfying to land - as from the range after the followup you kinda have all the space to play with, although this was more of a thing vs Helena. Knockback playstyle can be fun at times :p
Yeah 4H+K has always been fucked up lmao Its what I use to punish people for mashing on negative against my Lisa. Good players will check me back into honest play a couple times and then itll stop but the state ranked is in right now? 4H+K amounts for at least 60% of my damage some rounds.

Nyotengu wants range on Lisa as well. I think Lisa has better options for getting in but Nyotengu can do more a lot faster than Lisa can so it's kind of meh. I think Mid-Range Lisa and Nyo are pretty even. Long range definitely goes to Nyo, and close range I think is Lisa.

Saro

Wow, I don't know if it's related to these suggestions, but I took some notes, and won straight away 5 matches in a row with opponents on a rank above mine!
I think I was thinking/doing too much.

Dr PaC

I was looking at some NocTengu tech on Twitter and found Nyo can definitely get a wall splat with Foward P > K and simply step behind the stunned opponent for a free launch w/up PPP > whatever u want to do from that point. I’m trying to lab out some full damage combos but I’m loving her right now

Saro

Unfortunately after the other night it seems I lost all my "talent". Still struggling with spammers.

But one simple question: "HOW DO YOU BEAT AYANE?"

Her range is crazy, she hits me without even touching me with her leg, sidestepping is totally pointless against her, and so it's holding!

Dr PaC

Unfortunately after the other night it seems I lost all my "talent". Still struggling with spammers.

Her range is crazy, she hits me without even touching me with her leg, sidestepping is totally pointless against her, and so it's holding!
I hear ya. The struggle can be real sometimes. I deal with good Ayanes by playing the long game. Meaning, extreme patience and I do a few low holds every now and then to check her spinning nonsense. I also make sure to check her advance when shes up close by hitting down PP since its an advancing low, but yea. I feel like you just gottta be patient and whiff punish when you have the opportunity.

Saro

Also, I'm D+ and the game put me against an A+ Helena with 9 win streak which was teabagging me all the time. As soon as I won two round against him/her, he/she disconnected. Nickname UnknownHope_

PJudge

I actually find that cheesing Ayane with 7K > P puts a bit of distance in, as a lot of Ayane's will do her tornado kick (or whatever that running K is) or flip about to close the space. It's a tough matchup just because of speed, but you just have to kinda stop her momentum briefly so you can launch her.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD