Question about choosing a main.

Rapham0n

When choosing a character to main, is it a good idea to make your choice based solely on the design of the character? For example: there is a character whose design I really like, (the look, costumes, voice, personality, story, etc. of the character), but the play style of the character is not the type of play style I usually go for in these types of games. I figure I could always just learn how to use the play style of the character, but would that really be a good idea, or am I better off just sticking to a character that fits my usual play style?

CFW

If you like the character enough, then there really shouldn't be an issue.
Rachel doesn't fit my playstyle at all, but she's my favorite character on this game and I'd rather play a character that I like then one I don't like. That wouldn't make it fun.

It's good to challenge yourself.

Awesmic

Standard Donor
Find an equilibrium when looking for a character you enjoy playing both for technical and aesthetical reasons. The search is all the better if you can relate with him/her/it in some way or form, which gives you the drive to want to learn the character to begin with. How far you want to take that devotion, though, is entirely up to you.

The problem most people have these days is the work that may have to be put in some characters they like, and they look too often for instant gratification, or a "win button". Thus, they quickly lose heart with playing the character their heart desires to master. Do not be quick to give in to dropping your character when this happens. There will always be someone out there who will appreciate the contributions you make for the character you love, especially if the character is an unknown commodity (but don't get me wrong, I'm not suggesting you should be a deliberate low-tier hero either). Who knows, you might even surprise some people if you do well in a tournament.

Rapham0n

Find an equilibrium when looking for a character you enjoy playing both for technical and aesthetical reasons. The search is all the better if you can relate with him/her/it in some way or form, which gives you the drive to want to learn the character to begin with. How far you want to take that devotion, though, is entirely up to you.

The problem most people have these days is the work that may have to be put in some characters they like, and they look too often for instant gratification, or a "win button". Thus, they quickly lose heart with playing the character their heart desires to master. Do not be quick to give in to dropping your character when this happens. There will always be someone out there who will appreciate the contributions you make for the character you love, especially if the character is an unknown commodity (but don't get me wrong, I'm not suggesting you should be a deliberate low-tier hero either). Who knows, you might even surprise some people if you do well in a tournament.

The thing is I always thought I knew what type of play style I like, but looking back at my mains from other games I just realised the characters I use are all over the place in terms of play style. So now I'm not really sure what my preferred play style is. Here are my mains/the characters I like the most from other games:

-Mortal Kombat series: Johnny Cage & Sub-Zero
-Tekken series: Asuka Kazama & Paul Phoenix, (with Feng Wei as a sub)
-SoulCalibur series: Mitsurugi & Cassandra (I dropped this series when they removed Cassandra)
-Street Fighter series: Ryu & Cammy
-Skullgirls series: Cerebella, Valentine & Parasoul

Like I said, pretty much all over the place. For example in MK Johnny Cage is a rushdown character while Sub-Zero is a turtler. They are the exact opposites of each other in terms of gameplay, and yet I really enjoy using them both.

For some reason I seem to be having trouble figuring out which character(s) I really want to focus on in DOA5U.

CFW

I sorta have this same issue, since I'm looking for a secondary. Basically I guess you just have to test everybody out. Is there a character you tend to pick more often than others?
I would suggest picking a character you use the least, see why you play them the least, and then just weed them out that way.

I'm not very knowledgeable about how DOA plays, but every game is different. It would depend on how whichever character clicks with your playstyle with DOA mechanics.
SCV is a great game, people are really missing out, tbh.

SlothFacts

I'm not super familiar with a lot of those games, but there's some consistency in your mains, I think. Many of them like being somewhere in the close-mid range, and lean more on offense than defense. A lot of them are balanced all-around instead of focusing strongly on one area (they're like Ryu - who happens to be on your list). If I had to guess, I'd say you like pressuring your opponent.

To answer your question, if liking a character's design is what motivates you to play and improve, that's what's most important. Some people enjoy a game the most when they're playing a certain style, some enjoy having the best tools in the game the most, and some enjoy a game the most when they're playing a character they're attached to for other reasons. Sometimes you're lucky enough that there's a cross-section, there. But if you're not enjoying the game, whatever that takes for you, then you're going to find it difficult to stay motivated and keep learning and getting better.

So if there's a character you love for everything that has nothing to do with their toolset and playstyle, try them anyway, and see if you enjoy playing as them. You'll either get frustrated trying to play to their style, and decide they're not for you, or you'll decide it's something you can learn, after all, and have the motivation to do it.

JKT

I say give everyone a go in arcade mode and see their taunts and playstyle all in one go. I've switched from many characters because although I like their design, it just wasn't working. When you play each character more, it will just click. You seem to enjoy a variety of playstyles (?), so this task should be more fun than anything lol.

This isn't really helpful, but it just turns for me that the design of a character matches a playstyle I could enjoy lol.

btw, who is the character you liked the design of but don't like the playstyle of?

(Cassandra was my main too, and when she was not in SCV I stuck with Pyrrha, but later had way more fun with Leixia)

Argentus

When choosing a character to main, is it a good idea to make your choice based solely on the design of the character? For example: there is a character whose design I really like, (the look, costumes, voice, personality, story, etc. of the character), but the play style of the character is not the type of play style I usually go for in these types of games. I figure I could always just learn how to use the play style of the character, but would that really be a good idea, or am I better off just sticking to a character that fits my usual play style?
I play fighters for the characters

I'm not a rushdiwn player but I still got blazbkue solely for mako to nqnaya and bullet.

I got 5 vanilla solely for Mila in her c2, which I consider to be the hottest and prettiest female in fighters now.

Rapham0n

I sorta have this same issue, since I'm looking for a secondary. Basically I guess you just have to test everybody out. Is there a character you tend to pick more often than others?
I would suggest picking a character you use the least, see why you play them the least, and then just weed them out that way.

I'm not very knowledgeable about how DOA plays, but every game is different. It would depend on how whichever character clicks with your playstyle with DOA mechanics.
SCV is a great game, people are really missing out, tbh.

Nah, in SCV they removed too many of the characters I liked, (Cassandra, Taki, Xiangua, Seong Mina), and replaced them with new additions that I don't find appealing at all. Also Kilik losing his staff fighting style is just stupid.

Anyway, I think you might be right about DOA. Perhaps through the process of elimination by starting with the characters I use the least I will be able to find the character I want to focus on the most.

Intelligent Alpha

I'm trying to find a secondary. (My GT is AlpHelena, but seeing copycat Helenas online, I dropped her!) Most have said to try Kasumi, but for the same reason, that's a no-go! Usually, in tag matches I pair :alpha152: with :rachael: (it used to be :helena: ) I do realize that rachael can be a copycat character as well.

My line of thinking was: "Since alpha's a featherweight, (and everyone's eyes just light up!) maybe I can counter-balance it!" Yet, I also thought: "Since I have a striking character, I also need a grappling one!" So, i went with Rachael, but feeling I'd eventually abuse her (you know how it is online).

I'm just not sure who to pick up, but here's the REAL issue: I've been using alpha since Vanilla; therefore, she feels very natural to me. In fact, I don't train with her (like people tell me to) because I think that makes a player artificial. Dont get me wrong. I do go train now and again, but I've been able to develop my own playstyle without doing that. Playing real fights (yes, you can simulate the dummy, but it doesn't really help given the ridiculous amount of variables in a fight)

I asked this question if there was a character who complements alpha - I've heard that there weren't anyway outside of: :phase4: and :kasumi:

Ironically, the other characters I've used have helped me evolve alpha more! I was all-mids at one point, until I fought and fought as Helena. I have lows now and have had them for awhile! I never thought about throwing until I played a Bayman player who pointed out that particular void (It wasn't until i got more help when throw punishment became a reality) Playing as Rachael, enhanced alpha's throw game some more! Realizing the Triangle system, I abuse them now (Defensive Throwing, that is).

I'm more of a defensive player, but most of the cast (including alpha) is offensive oriented. I've tried cranking up the offense, but it's still defensive-based offense. As a friend I've fought in lobbies put it: "Defense is his offense!" (That's abnormal for an attack character.)

Given everything I do with alpha, who else if anyone can accomplish these same tasks as everyone is sick of playing me (as alpha) but i will get ridiculed if I go with another character.

JahAIive

Well, when I started to play DOA, Ein was my first decision because I found him cute haha (I know, im dumb). But then, I started to training him and do my best, and now he is my main because I know how use him and I like the character style.

Rapham0n

Well, when I started to play DOA, Ein was my first decision because I found him cute haha (I know, im dumb). But then, I started to training him and do my best, and now he is my main because I know how use him and I like the character style.

That's not "dumb" at all. If you choose a character because you find the character design appealing then you will enjoy learning that character. If there is something you dislike about a certain character then you will feel like it's harder to learn using that character. The reason for this is because in the back of your mind your brain is telling you that you actually dislike the character for whatever reason. Take the Tekken series as an example. I always liked Bryan Fury. (What's not to like about his hard-hitting fighting style? And that psycho laugh of his is just full of win). Then one day a friend pointed out to me the inconsistencies in Tekken's character models. On one hand you have characters like Jin and Hwoarang who look so perfect it's unbelievable. On the other hand you have characters like Asuka Kazama with her severely oversized hands and feet, Christie Monteiro with her freakishly broad shoulders, Lili with her completely out of whack proportions (her in-game character model is bigger than Craig Marduk's) and Brian Fury with his crooked nose (his nose looks like the nose of the wicked witch from the Wizard of Oz). Once you've seen that crooked nose of Bryan Fury you can't unsee it. Now every time I use the character I can't help but see that weird looking nose and the character just doesn't seem that appealing any more.

The problem I have in DOA5U is that there are actually too many characters that I find appealing. I like Tina, Helena, Kasumi, Kokoro, Christie (except for her white hair), Leifang, Jann Lee, Bayman, Rig, Hayate. It makes it very difficult to focus on one. Recently I have been using Kokoro more often though. (But we will see how long that lasts before I change my mind again...)

However, the two characters whose design I really really like in this game are Tina and Bayman. The only problem is they are both grapple based characters and I don't usually use grapple based characters in these types of games. My usual "M.O." is using speedy rushdown characters or all-around (jack-of-all-trades) characters. But I just love the design of Tina and Bayman so damn much. Plus Bayman's costume 01 reminds me of one of my favourite Resident Evil characters, (Chris Redfield).

Bottom line: I really don't know which character to choose. :confused:

Last edited:

StrikerSashi

Premium Donor
I usually main someone I click with gameplay-wise and sub characters I actually like.

Main thing for me is that I don't want to complain about bad match-ups. When I lose, I don't want to be able to blame my character. That's why I'll always sub characters that can deal with stuff that beats my main.

Rapham0n

I usually main someone I click with gameplay-wise and sub characters I actually like.

Main thing for me is that I don't want to complain about bad match-ups. When I lose, I don't want to be able to blame my character. That's why I'll always sub characters that can deal with stuff that beats my main.

"Click with gameplay-wise" eh? Well, the past few weeks I've been going through the entire character roster, testing out all the characters, even the ones that don't fit my usual play style, and for some reason I seem to do very well with Helena. I also do pretty good with Brad Wong for some reason and with Christie, but not as good as Helena though. I thought I would do well with Kasumi, but I just can't seem to do as well with her as I do with Helena and Christie.

I tried Kokoro. I like her, but her movements feel a little stiff. I wouldn't say that she is slow, it's more like her movements feel rather "blocky" for lack of a better term. For example Bayman is slower than Kokoro, and yet Bayman's moves feel like they flow much smoother than Kokoro's. I almost want to say that Kokoro kind of feels like a robot. It's not so bad once you get used to it, but use Kokoro for a while and then switch over to a character like Christie for a bit and the difference is night & day. :eek:

Last edited:

Intelligent Alpha

Can you try to make them fit? I said in another thread: I managed to sculpt a slower, more methodical Alpha (and she's a fast and quite reckless character! How did I do this? Lots of playing I guess! I like the slower pace, methodical style of play (sad many still overlook it in the FGC)

I used other characters to help sculpt her game! (I got lows from playing as and against Helena; I got throws + throw punishment from Bayman (and Tina somewhat, definitely Rachael) I developed patience due to fighting characters like Rig, Zack, Ayane! I got the "Bait from and while in Space" from Ryu (not really, but that's the purpose of his Nimpo stance) and Brad (all his crazy stances)

Sometimes just watching what the other characters can do will give you some idea! I mostly play as Alpha, but without those fights with the other characters, she wouldn't be the character I shaped her into!

Last edited:

deathofaninja

Premium Donor
News Team
I think people get so into their mains they forget they need to play as the other characters to improve their overall game. I think most would refrain from that method due to time, but since me and my bf now play around 3-5 hours a day, we're always looking at new characters; trying to find things people don't execute... studying moves that people say are shit, or my favorite "unsafe."

If people are so against "unsafe" moves, why does Alpha take so much heat... still? Whatever. She's my main and I've explained dozens times over why. I love evil characters. Why? Because I think evil thoughts and think evil things. I'm not evil, and I'm actually quite sweet, but I look to embrace my evil intentions in the safest ways possible, and Alpha brings a flaming sense of madness to my mind.

She is disposable though. Since she has no feelings I assume she doesn't give a fuck if I drop her for Nyo. I also like characters with lots of intense throws. I find myself playing as Tina, Bass and more recently, Hayabusa. Tengu was the only reason I enjoyed DOA4 mechanically.

If the character you're playing as puts a sadistic grin on your face, you've probably found your main.

Xernuht

Your main should simply be the character you feel the most comfortable using. If anything cosmetic annoys you enough to affect your ability to use them for extended periods, then that character should probably be taken out of the running.

A trend among my mains is that they're simple to pick up but have intricacies that develop through training, like Momiji (simple combos make good damage, but also sneaks in some terrifying options on enemy wake-up) or Ein (TORIYAH!!... and then learning to space them). It's probably a habit from my days of mooching fighting games off of my friend's consoles.

Rapham0n

I think most would refrain from that method due to time, but since me and my bf now play around 3-5 hours a day,

3-5 hours a day on just DOA5U? Damn, you're lucky. I've got 60+ games that demand my time all at once. And some of them include extremely time consuming games such as the Mass Effect series and Diablo III. I wish I could spend 3-5 hours a day playing DOA5U. Unfortunately for my DOA5U time Diablo III: Reaper Of Souls - Ultimate Evil Ediiton is coming out next week, (I've already pre-ordered my copy), and once I get my hands on that game I can kiss all my DOA5U time goodbye.

So you see I don't have the luxury of spending time learning the ins and outs of every character in DOA5U. I need a character I enjoy using the most right now. Luckily it seems I may have found that character. I'm currently using Helena, and really having tons of fun with this character. Although once DIII:UEE hits don't expect to see me on these forums for a long long time. :cool:

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD