System Quick way to KBD better!

BlankOctober

Standard Donor
I'm always looking for things to make life easier, but I often miss the simple things.

^ Someone please quote me on that...

Anyway, how to make it easier to Korean Backdash:

Step 1- Make sure you understand what the KBD needs. By this, I mean the inputs required. It's not :2::1::4::7::8: or anything like that. That would overexaggerate it and make you just dance like a broken toy or something. The input is simply :2::1::4:.

Step 2-
Go to "Help & Options" on the main menu, or pause the game. Go to "Controller". Press X/Square to select the "Advanced" settings. In the first category called "Side Step", scroll over once to change your sidestep command to :8::H+P+K:/:2::H+P+K:.

Now let me explain why you're tying your stepping to a button. Oh, and set the :H+P+K: macro to a button unless you use a stick, and even then, it would be easier to just have a single button for this. Okay explaination time:

When you try to execute a KBD on regular sidestep settings, unless your execution for :2::1::4:movement is FLAWLESS, you will find yourself sidestepping at faster attempts to KBD. Making it so you can't sidestep unless you hit a direction and the macro will eliminate the possiblity of an unwanted step.

So set it up with the macro and enjoy a speedier KBD. Just keep in mind that you still need to do the right inputs, but you can do the KBD with haste with newly found confidence.

This works for fightstick players and pad player alike!

Last edited:

Allan Paris

Haha i thought this was known already to switch the SS around to a button. Also, I have no idea why players keep saying 2,1 (:2::1:) will KBD, you do realize 4 is being inputted for you to move backwards even if you don't think you are doing it? If it was 2,1 you'd move backwards crouching but you are standing the entire duration of KBD. It is 2,1,4 (:2::1::4:) I will finally put the video up later today that shows the movement, I had it up before but it went away somehow :(.

BlankOctober

Standard Donor
But, notice that I did state that 2, 1, 4 works also. I tend to do a little of both the 2, 1 and the 2, 1, 4, each leading to the same result. A video really breaking down the KBD would be nice. Also, I brought up the side step macro setting to eliminate the chance of getting a side step when trying to KBD, unless that player is like perfect with the movement at higher speeds. Thanks for the input man!

Allan Paris

But, notice that I did state that 2, 1, 4 works also.

I noticed it but to tell players that :2::1: will get it is false. You are inputting 4 (:4:) no matter how fast you are doing it or how it feels when you rapidly repeat it.

How do you think you are moving backwards that fast with :2::1: by itself? KDB is canceling out the back dash animation and starting it up over again rapidly thus allowing you to move back faster. It is a glitch with the back-dash animation and the only way to to get it work is to input :2::1::4: repeatedly, you need a back-dash to cancel to start doing it and unless there is new develop with the movement I do not believe :2::1: will allow you to back-dash properly if at all.

I am still looking for that video, it is on here somewhere. Well it is on here, PL re-did with E. Cow and the text on the screen is wrong even though PL clearly said the notation for it and you can see it on the screen. lol :confused:

BlankOctober

Standard Donor
I noticed it but to tell players that :2::1: will get it is false. You are inputting 4 (:4:) no matter how fast you are doing it or how it feels when you rapidly repeat it.

How do you think you are moving backwards that fast with :2::1: by itself? KDB is canceling out the back dash animation and starting it up over again rapidly thus allowing you to move back faster. It is a glitch with the back-dash animation and the only way to to get it work is to input :2::1::4: repeatedly, you need a back-dash to cancel to start doing it and unless there is new develop with the movement I do not believe :2::1: will allow you to back-dash properly if at all.

I am still looking for that video, it is on here somewhere. Well it is on here, PL re-did with E. Cow and the text on the screen is wrong even though PL clearly said the notation for it and you can see it on the screen. lol :confused:

Edited with correcct inputs and such! Sorry for the confusion. I'm new to posting helpful things. I never really do it as the subject and application is good, but wording it for minimal confusion/bad info is a weakness of mine.

synce

Not too long ago I was practicing DOA's KBD on PS3 but my forearm would have none of it. Those fast 214 motions are infinitely easier with an arcade stick though

MajesticBlue

I haven't played in a while but I am pretty sure the most effective way to kbd is like this. 44 214 214 etc. If you start with 214 the command gets eaten by the buffer I recall. Could be wrong. Not to mention remember every character has a unique backdash. Take the time to learn it and get the most movement out of each step before you cancel it.

People think it is just 21 because of the buffer. When you release 1 you get a free 4 a lot of the time. Thus making it easier. Lots of really good uses for that free 4 hehe.

Allan Paris

I am pretty sure the most effective way to kbd is like this. 44 214 214 etc. If you start with 214 the command gets eaten by the buffer I recall. Could be wrong. Not to mention remember every character has a unique backdash.
No. You were doing something wrong to get your inputs "eaten" by a buffer. Starting it with :4::4: to me is counterproductive because the back-dash in the game is terrible and to start a rapid back-dash :2::1::4:(repeat) immediately with 4,4 will get you hit often vs doing the command for KBD outright.

The speed of a character's back-dash are different. Still, it is an effective movement for the slower back-dashing characters.

MajesticBlue

One 214 by itself produces a back dash? I have tried and never seen it. It works the exact same way as it does in tekken. 214 214 produces a back dash. Your first 214 doesn't move you that far back at all thus you wasted those inputs. If you start from a 44 your first inputs are not wasted. The initial backdash can be canceled with 214 anyways so 44 is more or less the same as the second 214 if not better imo.

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
It's primarily :4::1::4::1::4::1:...

The first 214 doesn't do anything until the second 214 is inputted, where the 21 is canceling the 4 into the crouch back stance, and the 4 popping them back into standing before the next 21 is inputted.

You can technically do it with just :4::1: but it's easier to do with :4::214:

Allan Paris

I am literally flicking :2::1::4: over and over again and I move fine. I never input :4::1::4: it never comes up in my commands. I know you could get that input to work, when I was learning how to do it that is how I started. Eventually after doing it so much, I just flick the input and I move without having to press :4: to start it.

Starting at :35 that is what you should be doing. If you notice in the commands. It's :2::1::4: again and again, never starting with :4:. Well when you get better at it you won't need to start it with :4:.

Tekken is a different game with it's inputs. You can short cut a lot stuff in DOA and get faster/better results.

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
I too did :214:, however over time as I became accustomed to it, I was going much faster doing :4::1::4:

I'm not theory talking here, just saying how well it works for me, and I'm also using an arcade stick instead of the inaccurate pad.

MajesticBlue

Oh I see the miss conception. I only mean the first initial dash. Not 44 214 44 214. Actually looking at how I do it I actually do it like Mr wah. I play on stick. So the buffer isn't the issues as much as stick technology. Mr wah has it right starting with a single back is most efficient. I am going too much based on memory. Stick tech giving you free 4s.

Hey Mr wah. Do you have any advice for getting it down pat on p2side? I can do it if I ride the gate but it isn't quite right yet.

Last edited:

Tenren

It's primarily :4::1::4::1::4::1:...

The first 214 doesn't do anything until the second 214 is inputted, where the 21 is canceling the 4 into the crouch back stance, and the 4 popping them back into standing before the next 21 is inputted.
You can technically do it with just :4::1: but it's easier to do with :4::214:

this is how I input it on my stick or hit box. After the KBD starts i simple rock the stick between 4,1 or on hit box tap 4,1 ,4,1,4,1.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD