Rachel beginner's guide.

Yurlungur

This thread is to simply help learn rachel's basics, game play and ect. While there is a thread out i'd prefer making a much simpler one for those who are very new to the game.

Understanding Rachel:
One of the most simple ways to describe rachel is a bruiser. Very big, very powerful and can really do some heavy damage. She also is a character who is really easy to pick up but very hard to master due to her limited move set. This doesn't mean she is a bad character but you need to put a bit more effort to actually win with her. If you're okay with this style please continue using her.

Rachel basically relies on people panicking in order to get a good amount of damage, her lows by themselves have problems opening people up outside of counter hit, so feel free to abuse as much throws as you'd like. While not the fastest character in the game she can make you respect her because from a launch she can get an easy 75 damage or a reset.

Pokes:
  • 3k or 4k = This is a very nice long reaching poke, safe on block and gives you a nice bit of frame advantage on stun
  • 4ppp and 4pp2p = First move is an anti-sidestep and can go into a mind games
  • 2h+k = Not the fastest low in the game but it's rather hard to see, good for opening opponents up, safe on block
  • 9p= Good amount of stun, somewhat quick high, bad range
  • 1p(only 1p) = A quick low that low profiles, good on counter hit can perform mind games ex: 1pp or 1p, hcf+T
  • 3ppp = A very quick mid third hit is an anti-sidestep
  • pp(p/k/2k/4p/2 or 8pk[p/k]) Rachel's fastest poke and good for mix-ups
Get off me/keep out tools:
If you are learning rachel you'll tend to notice that a lot of her very bad match-ups come from very fast characters. In some circumstances she'll need to keep people out.
  • qcf+P = Very good keep out move, doesn't trade. Guard break is deceptive as you are not left at positive frames
  • 66k = Will trade on occasion but does leave you in slight guard advantage good for 3k or pk, safe
  • qcb+p = this move is DEATH on block, very good for crushing moves and automatically launches
  • 1pp = This is her go to get off me tool, death on block. Good for people who mash at you.
  • 9K = Good for air shenanigans like ninja's leaping toward you, not safe but has a good amount invincibility
  • 6kk or 6kp = Quick knee to either a far back launch or they're put right in front of you during knockdown
  • 66t or ppt = If you're aware that your opponent is going to strike this usually beats out attacks(except lows) and gives you nice frame advantage. DO NOT DO THIS AGAINST AKIRA.
Launchers:(from safest to unsafest)
  1. hcf+T or 41236+T
  2. 6h(jump kick included)
  3. 7p better to use this attack after causing some hitstun
  4. 9k or 6ppk
  5. qcb+p or 1pp
  6. 4h+k
  7. 2/8 p+k, p
Rollthrough and you:
This stance can be performed from 8pk or 2pk. When done rachel twirls in said direction and can perform 2 attacks. It works very well as a quick sidestep. She has two attacks from it. K: a low sweep that leaves you at a huge advantage or a punch that stun/launch depending on the situation. Good for tricking opponents.

Rachel combo videos:

Credit goes to @Prince Adon

Yurlungur and you:
One of the best things about rachel is her heel(2k on a grounded opponent). Any situation where you can get it, do it. If you're opponent doesn't get off the floor/wake-up kicks this beats it and puts you in a huge amount of frame advantage. Don't be afraid to abuse this IF and ONLY IF you know you can get away with it. Here are some situations where it's mostly guaranteed. Most people who have knowledge of rachel will always immediately roll to a standing position not to deal with her heel attack.
Air throw reset: Immediately after you are able to do an air throw, simply do a 6k then after a 2k.
Big bounce reset: Depending on how much stun you are able to get if you simply do a p+k you're opponent might do a huge bounce.
Odd punch reset: you can catch your opponent from p, 9p or 3pp but they can back roll to safety

Bad and Good matchups:
To save a lot of time and effort i'm simply going to write who are bad/Good matchups and once you deal with them, you'll understand why.

Christie, Kasumi, Ayane, Akira, Hayabusa, Jacky, Sarah are her absolute most difficult ones.
Lei Fang, Kokoro and Eliot are her best match-ups.

extra little timbits!

• On the ice stage, 1pp is guaranteed due to the low causing the opponent to slip
  • If you ever need to get someone out of a low stances, 3T is perfect for it and will give you frame advantage

Please feel free to write in this thread and i will update/edit this.

Last edited:

FatalxInnocence

Just quickly, 8K on block is -11, should probably be mentioned. It's a move by itself, therefore I wouldn't use it unless the person was mid stun. As a standalone move, not a move you would throw out on block therefore I wouldn't consider it a poke personally.

Also, 4H+K is a solid critical stun launch, depending on the stun threshold you can get a BT 2PP air throw combo... just gotta be careful of the stun limit as too high and the 2PP will whiff and you have to time it.

deathofaninja

Premium Donor
News Team
Nice start to your guide. I think it's important to add matchup specifications. People want to know why it's easier for Rachel to fight Eliot, or Kokoro; because it's not easy to give a detailed analysis on how.

If I'm not fighting a train character such as Christie or Alpha, I tend to have really good matches with Rachel. She's a heavy-weight, but she's fast enough to keep up with quick characters, and this is the reason Rachel is probably my favorite heavy of all time.

Yurlungur

Nice start to your guide. I think it's important to add matchup specifications. People want to know why it's easier for Rachel to fight Eliot, or Kokoro; because it's not easy to give a detailed analysis on how.

If I'm not fighting a train character such as Christie or Alpha, I tend to have really good matches with Rachel. She's a heavy-weight, but she's fast enough to keep up with quick characters, and this is the reason Rachel is probably my favorite heavy of all time.

At one point i will go into detail as of why but at this point it's just simplier to state it other then get into huge discussions about tier listings which a beginner wouldn't care for. I'm keeping it bare bones simple. If i do an intermediate beginners guide i'll be sure to list it.

FatalxInnocence

Also Rachel's command SS should probably be noted in here too. Her 8P+K / 2P+K contains a mid punch launch and a low kick poke. Both are throw punishable though, so it's best to use them wisely.

Still, command ss k leaves her at +16 on hit ( +10 on fastest S/E ), so it's a solid low move regardless of it being throw punishable.

Klts3

OK, so few things to add:
- :4::H+K:, as Fatal said, is good launcher, BUT :2::P::P: won't connect if you extend stun with :P: (or :P::P: after :4::P::P::P:).
- :7::P: is really bad move. It's -11 ON HIT. If you look for something guaranteed after :8::K: then use :3::P:. It's 2 frames faster and on super-heavies :3::P::P::P+K::H+P: is more damaging than :7::P:,:H+P:,:6::P::K::P: if I'm correct.
- The best way to do CB with Rachel is for me deep stun (CH :3::P::P: is the best option I think), :7::K:, :6::6::P:.
You just must remember that next time your opponent will look for :7::K: to hold it, but hey, almost every person tries to hold after :3::P::P:. This is a good chance to do HiC throw.
- I don't know how others think but for me :4::P::P::2::P:, :426::H+P: and delaying :K: in :6::P::P::K: are good tricks. In 90% people will let you do :426::H+P: (maybe they really think that you're about to do CB in trip stun and they're trying to block?), and in 90% you will launch them with :6::P::P::K: if you will delay :K:, what gives you :H+P: or guaranteed stomp.
- If you play with someone and you're about to do CB without using :7::K: before :6::6::P:, then leave it for later. You play Rachel. You must scare your opponent. Do :8::K: or :4::H+K:. Next time he will be thinking that you will use CB or other launcher, so he will hold. Catch him with :426::H+P:. Then he will be scared to hold, so CB shouldn't be hard to do.
- Something interesting I noticed in ElectrifiedMann's videos is using :P: before stomp instead of :9::P:. People don't expect this and it's harder to tech-roll. You can also change between these two options.

Yurlungur

@Klts3
If i do an intermediates guide on rachel i'll be sure to add the hcf+T set-ups, i personally love 1p to hcf+T
7p is sadly her safest attack launcher i'm just putting it there so people can know what launches
Also would you happen to know if the p is guaranteed? I'd like to put some guaranteed resets for yurlungur

FatalxInnocence

OK, so few things to add:
- :4::H+K:, as Fatal said, is good launcher, BUT :2::P::P: won't connect if you extend stun with :P: (or :P::P: after :4::P::P::P:).

It still works. You just have to time it. It becomes less mashable when the stun is extended, and like power launcher combos it just requires an understanding of timing for it to be successful. I've done it a couple of times, it's not a combo I throw out all the time though. I like 4H+K as a 1PP launch mix-up. If people start believing you're going to do 4H+K and high counter, you can get the 1PP for a cool looking 9P 3PPP+K juggle. Which is why I rarely throw out a P after 1P.

Pictured Mind

-I use :4::H+K: as a launcher on stun level 3 ONLY. Right before the critical burst state like people stated before. That way you can get a solid :2::P::P:, air throw combo. It's very lag friendly too. Also, it's high.

Also, useful to note; You can get it off after a :4::P::P::P:. I've noticed this because a lot of people tend to counter low (:4::P::P::2::P:). Because why would you go for the obvious mid, right? Exactly. : ) But now for the fun part, the opponent is at stun level 3 so you can go for CB or a throw if they're hold-happy. Just some useful tips.

-After :8::K:, :3::P: is guaranteed. Everyone should use this as :3::P: also launches. So when you're at a mid stun level you can launch by going for:8::K: to:3::P:. Even if your stun is too high, :8::K: gives a bound stun which guarantees her :214::P+K::H+P:. :8::K: should be used and is one of her best moves in my opinion.

-After :6::H+P: you can go for :8::K: for extra damage and some kind of semi-FT? It is tech-able. It's pretty cool too.

-On a slippery stage like the ice stage, the opponent trips when they get hit with :1::P: so the second one should be guaranteed.

-I'm pretty sure you can get a guaranteed stomp set up if you launch at stun level 3. Someone would have to check for me tho. I don't recommend it because you lose out on a lot of damage.

-Her :3::H+P: is a low OH and you should use this. It beats out a lot of things at the start and no one goes for a low throw at the start anyways. Characters like Brad and Helena will hate you for this.

Also, for people who want to know, I use the first round to see if people back tech my stomp attempts. After an air throw I mostly use :9::P: or :3::P:(:P:) to stomp. At this point, if they don't back tech after two attempts, you have a great tool.

I think I may have fucked up on some things but I'll figure that out later, too tired. Hope this helps. ;D

FatalxInnocence

I think :9::K:, stomp is guaranteed on level 3, maybe even on level 2. But I'm not sure, I usually just go for air throw.

Yeah I had a friend test this with me. It all depends on the weight class. The stun threshold for the guaranteed stomp changes depending on which character you're VSing.... not really worth the damage sacrifice imo when the stomp is still a scare tactic after higher damage combos.

DrDam

I think it should also be relevant to expand on her :2::K: Force Tech. At this point in the game, most players know that a back tech will prevent you from landing the hit, so most of the time, they will back tech without even thinking about it. The whole point of the move is to discourage wakeup attacks. If you :6::6::K: right after an opponent back techs, you will get either some nice damage and breathing room or nice frame advantage with the guard break so that you can keep the pressure up.

FatalxInnocence

I think it should also be relevant to expand on her :2::K: Force Tech. At this point in the game, most players know that a back tech will prevent you from landing the hit, so most of the time, they will back tech without even thinking about it. The whole point of the move is to discourage wakeup attacks. If you :6::6::K: right after an opponent back techs, you will get either some nice damage and breathing room or nice frame advantage with the guard break so that you can keep the pressure up.

That's an interesting tactic, though in my eyes Rachel kinda struggles with the range game so if it hits you're once again at a disadvantage. The whole point of the stomp is a scare tactic so if they tech roll she still has the same options as if it landed in the first place. Which is why 4PP is great even on block since it has the low & the 2 mid follow ups.

That's just me though, everyone is different~

Prince Adon

Best in the World!!!
Premium Donor
I hear a lot of people say Rachel's 7P is garbage. Do people realize it's her BEST stun launcher? It's unseeable, and give you a free air grab,and the best substitution for her grab launcher. It's also guaranteed after 7K, just like 9K is guaranteed after 7K. Also 3K(PK) wall bounce allows you to get a free air throw(credit goes to BBC for that one). 7P should not be used as neutral. That doesn't make the move garbage, because that's not what it used for. Good guide, btw.

Silkylinks

Thanks very much for the guide! I knew what some of her good moves are, but this really helps me as someone new to the character put the pieces together and figure out what i need to try to do more in my matches.

Yurlungur

Thanks very much for the guide! I knew what some of her good moves are, but this really helps me as someone new to the character put the pieces together and figure out what i need to try to do more in my matches.

no problem, i'm glad this guide helped you!

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD