"Results matching to caluclations! Whatever that is!" A Kula Beginners' Guide| Vanilla Ver.

KasumiLover

xX_APO_Prince_Xx
Premium Donor
Hello everyone! DOA6 news might be slow but I thought it might be good to help beginners learn one of the more fresh new faces: Kula!! She is a King of Fighters guest character much like Mai Shiranui, and besides their 2D style gameplay and series origins, there's nothing remotely similar regarding their styles!

img-kula.png
Her icy moveset has a ton of potential so this guide will help you be able to go from a Kula casual into a Kula main in no time! This thread will cover everything from her moveset including a full move break down, frame data, throws, holds, and even a combo starter kit!! I hope you'll enjoy this guide if you really want to dip your feet into her. As time goes on, if any changes are done to her, I'll be sure to update this guide when I can to keep it current. I also may add new sections as time goes on, but as of now, unless a section has "WIP" or something similar, you can consider that section finished.

Latest Guide Notes:
°3/27/21 ~ Base Guide Finished.

°5/21/21 ~ Added updated rope wall tech notes to missing moves(Fatal Rush, Sidestep Attack).

°4/23/23 ~ Added additional section that highlights Kula's main stun starters.

Here are the table of contents:​

Section 1: Explanation of frame data and reading numerical inputs​

Section 2: Kula's Pros & Cons with a Rundown Summary​

Section 3: Kula's Forward Jump Stance and Back Jump

Section 4: Kula's Cancels and her Specials

Section 5: The Break Gauge and the Break System

Section 6: Kula's Full Moveset Breakdown

Section 7: Kula's Throws Explanation

Section 8: Kula's Holds explanation

Section 9: Kula's Cold Beginner Combos

Section 10: Kula's Offensive Pressure Tools

Section 11: Kula's Anti-Sidestep Tools

Section 12: Kula's Defensive Tools

Section 13: Kula's Cold Zoning and Ranged Tools

Section 14: Kula's Stun Starters

Section 15: Final remarks, thanks & future expansion​

Section 1: Explanation of frame data and reading Numerical Inputs

-Before we start the guide off, if you're a beginner you should know the basics about reading frame data and inputs. I will use actual button macros throughout this guide, but here is a picture that shows you what the directional inputs are numerically:

image-jpeg.28601

1 ~ Down Back
2 ~ Down
3 ~ Down Forward
4 ~ Back
5 ~ Neutral/No Direction
6 ~ Forward
7 ~ Up Back
8 ~ Up
9 ~ Up Forward​

-Next you should know the basics regarding how to read and interpret frame data. Here is an example: 20(4)25. The first number is the start up frames, which shows how many frames it take for the attack or throw to actually begin. The second number in parentheses is the total active frames during the attack animation, and finally the last number is the recovery, which shows how long it takes for the attack to recover so you can begin another attack. Worth noting is that the longer it takes for an attack to start up, the more likely you are to be jabbed or hit out of it, and the longer it takes for the attack to recover, the more likely you are to get hit or thrown afterwards.

-Another key thing you need to know is MOVE SAFETY. Move safety is how safe or unsafe an attack is on block, and you can see for yourself how unsafe an attack is by enabling the move details in training mode and looking at the move advantage. +1 or better frames means you have a frame advantage, meaning in this situation you're able to move first and the attack you use afterwards in that instance with no delays will be faster by that allowed advantage!(Example: If you perform an attack and gain +4, the attack you use immediately afterwards will be virtually 4 frames quicker than normal in that instance). +0 to -5 is safe, meaning you can not be throw punished after the attack, with the only exception being 5i neutral throws if you are left at -5. -6 to -7 is semi-safe, meaning you can be thrown if an opponent uses a quick throw, but longer framed throws will not get you, and -8 or worse is unsafe, meaning you can be thrown, so watch out when you use her unsafer attacks.

-Throughout this guide, to cut some corners and to eliminate text bulk, I will use the "i" symbol in place of the term "frames'. An example would be 23i, which basically is the same as saying 23 frames. Keep this in mind as you read this guide. :)

-Finally, another thing I will mention throughout is whether Kula's attacks track, meaning if your opponent attempts to sidestep it, it will follow them, while if an attack has no tracking, it will not hit when sidestepped. Now that all the basic stuff is covered, let's transition to her pros and cons.

Section 2: Kula's Pros and Cons with a Rundown Summary

-Knowing what your chosen fighter specializes in and struggles in is a key thing I think you should know. This section will show her pros and cons, and I will provide a detailed summary to further explain them:

Pros/Strengths

*Fast; Has a 9i high jab, 11i mid, and a 13i low punch making her amongst the fastest strikers in the game. Kicks are somewhat slower having a 13i high kick, 14i mid kick, and a 15i low. Overall has a good quick oriented neutral.

*Very easy to pick up and play, has virtually no high execution moves and does not require much practice to learn. Very simple moveset kit.

*Great delay in her strings which is useful for throwing off opponents in stun or on block.

*Great Combo damage/output, as well as lower execution to get her max damage set ups.

*Has possibly one of the best whiff punishers/long ranged launchers in the game using her Ice Breath, which not only has good reach but also leads to easy good damage against the whole cast, including heavier characters since it also functions as a launcher that doesn't require a stun to get max launch height.

*Very versatile; her strings already have good mix ups but her cancels from strings give her a further edge to throw off opponents. Holding against her is dangerous from most of her strings as a result.

*Pretty good at close quarters and can quickly overwhelm slower characters as well as being an annoyance to characters faster than her or about her speed.

*Solid mid range game; Has good range from multiple attacks which can keep opponents out making it hard to approach her.

*Good long to far range game; Can again make it very difficult to move in with her variety of longer ranged keep out moves.

*Decent evasion; has possibly one of the best high crushes in the game with lethal close hit properties, and has a quite a few ways to crush lows and highs to begin her offense.

*Can move in or move out quickly using her jump stances which can help make up for her somewhat above average walk speed.

*Good stuns as well as deeper stuns; Has a blind stun and also possesses 2 standalone mid kick lift stuns as well as a high lift stun, and a multitude of mid punch lift stuns.

*Great wall carry and can easily lead her opponents to hazards without much worry of wall splats.

*Counter oriented, having a lot of attacks that are dangerous when countering her foes that cause knockdown or launches.

*Good in string tracking; her strings tend to have a tracking follow up to blow up opponents who try to sidestep while you're performing a string.

*Relatively safe for a 9i striker; Has safe ways to end strings and doesn't have to worry much regarding throw punishment or strike punishes when used carefully.

*Has Decent pressure attacks for a 9i striker; has a jumping attack that leaves her + on block and also has a few attacks that leave her neutral on hit which can act as pressure against slower characters as well as being an annoyance to fellow 9i strikers.

*Has a running throw she can use when moving in to punish blocking opponents.

*Versatile lows that can be used for a variety of situations, including mid range keep out, mix ups, and also to quickly get pressure against sidesteppers.

Cons/Weaknesses

*Her smaller moveset can limit her if you get too predictable.

*Lacks defensive tools; Will have to rely more on crushing and defending when being pressured which can be risky.

*Mediocre throws; Compared to characters like Kasumi, her throws don't do much besides acting as punishes and have very limited environmental interaction.

*Mediocre holds; Limited environmental interaction with hazards and aren't too impressive in regards to damage or utility besides holding against foes.

*Very risky tracking game; while some of her standalone tracking moves can be lethal on counter hit, they're mostly unsafe on block, and even her in string tracking moves are either unsafe or easy to duck.

*Her special moves and cancels tend to be double edged swords and can be easily punished if abused or spammed, especially in regards to her Ice breath and her rising ice uppercut.

*Lightweight, so juggles are especially useful on her and can make her vulnerable to more powerful combos via launchers.

*No offensive holds(Throws with hold properties which can beat either all standing attacks or low attacks depending on if it's a standing or crouching OH).

*No fatal stuns besides her fatal rush and no stuns that result in falls besides her backturned back stun, meaning she'll have to play the stun game more honestly compared to other characters.

*Lacks true mids, mids that can hit grounded foes. Although this doesn't really affect her generally in matches, this can quickly become a disadvantage against characters like Helena who have a stance that allows them to manually avoid a normal mid to begin their own offense.

To summarize this Kula is amongst one of the fastest characters in the game who is counter oriented and focused on striking to deal her damage. She has no trouble opening up opponents via her mix ups and lows and she can be played both up close and from a distance due to her good range and solid keep out and zoning attacks. Being a fellow KOF guest like Mai, she also has the ability to cancel a couple of her strings and attacks into her special moves, which further ups her unpredictable options. Being versatile, she can dish easy damage from anywhere and her wall carry and damage are amongst some of the best in DOA6.

Defensively she can easily crush high attacks and she has multiple jumping attacks to avoid pesky lows, and attacks like her Ice breath and Ice uppercut are very useful to keep away opponents trying to rush you. She also is relatively safe and doesn't have to worry much of being thrown when played safely which is great for a 9i striker, and she also has a few ways she can apply pressure to both faster characters or characters who are slower.

However, she's not perfect, as her holds and throws leave a lot to be desired and aren't very threatening, being about average and having limited danger zone interaction. Her tracking is also somewhat risky as she has either moves that track and are lethal on counter hit but are unsafe, or she has tracking moves that are in string but able to be ducked or are also unsafe. Her specials can also be risky to use as well despite their relatively high reward if they're used in the right conditions. Her smaller moveset also means less resources for her to have on offer in more high level play, but thankfully her kit is formidable enough to somewhat bypass this disadvantage. Finally, another trade off is her lack of any real defensive tools besides her crushes, and her stun game lacks any fall stuns or gut stuns that force the opponent to hold or else they'll fall, and she also lacks any unique fatal stuns as well. This means that like Kasumi, she'll have to play the stun game more honestly compared to others like Nico and Phase 4 who have stuns that can cause a fall.

Overall, Kula is a character I like to consider a speedy zoner type, she is quick and is fully able to use her speed up close but she's also more than capable of falling back and playing a iron keep out game when needed, being able to quickly blow up rushdowns and making use of the environment! While she does lack in defensive tools, her offense more than makes up for it and she can be one of the coldest combatants when mastered!

Section 3: Kula's Forward Jump Stance and Back Jump

-This section will cover Kula's special 9P and 7P jump! Much like her native series, Kula can jump forward to cover ground and back to retreat. When using 7P, you can't do anything during the jump and the recovery is lengthy so be careful when using this near foes. The jump covers a good distance so you can use this as a quick way to avoid wake up kick situations and other types of attacks from you're opponent in open spaces!

-9P functions differently: You're able to attack while jumping in with the following attacks:

:P:- Her first option which is a 29i downwards mid punch thrust ice attack with 25i recovery. It will cause a critical stun on both normal and counter hits that will result in a +19 stun, allowing you to continue a combo if you wish to. It's also safe on block, leaving you +1 making it your turn to strike again since you'll now be one frame faster with any follow up in that instant, making it a decent way to gain some on block pressure. It does not track however and can be stepped.

It can also be used from set ups involving her ice breath as it will cause a downwards slamming bounce that can be used for all weight classes in the game for a simple go to set up which I will touch upon in the combo section! If done after exceeding the max stun threshold(This is when you exceed the max damage limit from a stun, and it'll result in a critical stun "reversal" that ends the stun, this also occurs from using the same attack twice in a stun set up), it'll cause small bound knockback that allows a combo if you're quick enough, as well as also allowing you to use attacks with close hit properties as enders for more damage!

:K:- her 2nd option which is a 33i high jump kick with 23i recovery. This tracks, causes a +26 stun, and is useful for beating sidestepping opponents who are quick to step you. The downside is that it's -11 when blocked, so it can be throw punished and strike punished against other 9i strikers like Kasumi, Nico, Mai, etc. The attack is also able to be ducked, making it also vulnerable to high crushes(attacks that avoid highs).

Like her previous move, it also has " jump in" usage when used from set ups involving her ice breath, causing a spinning refloat that can also be used on all weight classes for easy go to combos, but it's most useful against light weights as the refloats will allow you to go for her bound attack which will be explained shortly

:kula: ~LET'S DO THIS!: Kula's empty jump is also useful as a way to feint a follow up in stun, although for the most part Kula will be left negative if the opponent does not fall for it. The forward jump is also useful for jumping over wake up kicks so keep that in mind when fighting foes who have a habit of using them!

Now that we've covered her jump and her follow ups, let's lead on into her chilly special moves!!

Section 4: Kula's Cancels and her Specials

-This section will cover another element of Kula: her cancel attacks and most importantly, her special moves. When referring to cancels, Kula is able to cancel into her special moves from certain strings, which adds an edge to her already varied mix ups, and also adds an additional follow up your opponent will want to avoid! You can cancel from the following strings: :6::P::P:, :9::K::6::P:, :P::P::6::P: and :8::P::6::P:! She also has another attack she can cancel from, which is her :3::P+K: and the backturned variant :P+K:, however there is a catch: she can only cancel into one special which is her signature "Ray Spin" mid kick special, making this attack cancel more limited but somewhat more for combo utility as the :3::P+K: and BTed :P+K: launch on counter hit allowing you to chain into Ray Spin for combo set ups!

:kula:~I don't know about this!: Remember, you don't have to cancel into her special moves just because you can, use it only when needed and avoid canceling to throw off opponents expecting them!

-With that in mind, here are her special moves, that can be both cancelled into or used as standalone attacks as well! Note, when cancelling into them from the strings, you have to enter the special move right after the string to do them instantly, but they can be delayed to throw off timing to bait a reaction:

:214::K:- Ray Spin, which is a 20i jumping spin kick with 28i recovery that causes a +15 stun on normal hit and low launches on counter or critical stun hits, although the launch has virtually no real use unless you confirm into one of her follow ups from it. Tracks, and has good reach, acting as a useful way to shut down rushes and also shattering side steps like glass, as well as avoiding lows. The attack however is -11 and can be punished, unless you end it with one of the string enders

The first string ender is :214::K::K:, which is a 24i mid axe lift kick with 24i recovery that causes a +17 stun on any level hit, When done near walls, it causes a soft wall hit that gives you a +37 stun to work with which is useful for a lot of useful set ups if you know how to properly use it, but I'll give you the cold truth further in the guide! The kick also has great range, covering a great portion of the screen, and is also safe at -6 when blocked. It however does not track at all, and this can be an issue given how her other ender is. When done in juggles, it causes a flip knock back and will also cause a wallsplat when used in juggles as well, making it a good ender.

Her other ender is :214::K::2::K:, which is a 26i sliding ice low twin kick with 23i that covers even better distance than her other ender! It always knocks down, and can quickly be an annoyance because of its absurd reach. However, it does not track, and has tip range properties, meaning when used from afar to zone out foes, it'll do poor damage making it not truly threatening besides it's knock down. Up close, it'll do more damage, but for a low, it's damage is not that great. The attack is also unsafe at -15, and does not track making it risky to use against iron defensed foes. Can be done by itself as 3H+K, making it slightly faster at 23i but it's recovery is worse at 28i. It also has a better edge in damage.

:kula:~I don't know about this…: While the :214::K: Ray Spin and it's enders are useful, both have no delay and possess no tracking as far as the enders go, meaning an opponent can easily step both of the attacks leaving you at -10 when either attack is stepped. Be wary when using this as you're vulnerable to both sidestep attacks or a throw!

°:236::P:- Kula's infamous Diamond Breath, this is a 19i "launcher" attack with 30i recovery that functions as a mid range projectile like attack that freezes her opponent in place for about a second, allowing you to go for a guaranteed set up that they can't escape, and if nothing is done, they unfreeze and fall backwards on their back. This attack is very useful as a whiff punisher as it allows for an easy jump combo that can be used for everyone of all weight classes, although light weight and mid weight foes will be able to be juggled into her bound combo set up. While the attack does function as a useful keep out and ranged attack, it's a double edged sword for multiple reasons: It doesn't track, is unsafe at -25 up close when blocked, and a successful hold against it will have the opponent perform an evade hold, which allows them to go for an easy no timing back turned punish attack since the hold will leave you back facing them. As a result carefully use of the move is advised at all times.

Can be used by itself as well as after cancels as a general "launcher", but be cautious as this move is very predictable as its not uncommon for most Kulas to abuse it as its still tricky to sometimes anticipate and punishing it properly can be tougher when it's done from max range.

°:214::P:- Crow's Bite, which is a swift 15i crouching jump uppercut move with 46i recovery. This move I feel is one of the best high crushes in the game since it already does cold damage, but it also has close hit properties making it very lethal up close! It also can double as a way to shut down throw attempts for shocking hi counter damage, and it is relatively useful at about mid close range to shut down rushes. It also functions as her go to combo ender for wall splats when you're not confident that 214KK won't connect or you're afraid that 214K2K won't connect since this refloat is the best one to do for a 214P finish. Also wallsplats by itself but the lengthy recovery prevents any follow ups from being possible.

While the attack is deadly, like her Diamond Breath there are some drawbacks: it's not going to track, and the lengthy recovery makes it very vulnerable to throw punishes, as well as it being unsafe at a shocking -35 when blocked… It also will be evaded when successfully held, and this will result in the same no timing back turned punish that Diamond Breath is vulnerable to as well. Be wary when using this.

-This wraps up her special moves section! She doesn't have too many of them but make use of them in the appropriate situations to avoid punishment! We will now get into the Break system of DOA6!

Section 5: The Break Gauge and the Break System

This section will be a brief explanation of the Break System of DOA6. Let's begin:

The meter in DOA6 is divided in 4 parts, and the meter fills up quickly as you attack, but it also slowly fills from defending and receiving damage.

:8:/:2::s::s:- You can use ¼ of the meter to perform a side step attack. This is a 27i mid kick strike with 30 frame recovery that knocks back the opponent full screen. Unsafe at -15 and doesn't track.

:4::s:- You can use ½ the meter to perform a Break Hold. A break hold is a hold that will hold any attack but does very low damage. This will also provide +5 advantage and reset the positions to round 1 fight distance, resetting the neutral. These are also the only way to escape a fatal stun from attacks or a break blow cancel.

:6::s:- You can use a full meter to perform a Break Blow. Kula's break blow and break blows in general are a powerful attack with Sabaki type properties, meaning it'll interrupt strikes if timed right, allowing you to unleash a damaging blow that'll send the opponent flying backwards, clothes tattered and bruised. The attack is also able to be used after certain launches, after bounds, and even
after certain wallsplats. The disadvantage is that it can be shut down with a simple low strike and can be hi counter thrown and the move can be stepped and held.

:kula: ~LET'S DO THIS!!!: There's more to the Break Blow than you think: if you press H once it hits, Kula will perform a Break Blow Cancel. A cancel will stop the full blow from coming out and will leave the opponent in a fatal stun state. While in fatal stun, the opponent will be unable to do anything unless they have ½ a meter available to break hold to escape the stun, meaning you can use the cancel as an opportunity to go for more damage than the Break Blow may do in set situations, especially in certain environments with the right conditions. Be wary since if your opponent has meter, they can use the meter escape the fatal stun, but you can also use this as a way to go for a hi counter throw set up if you anticipate this. Also be wary that the opponent is only limited to break holds for escape as long as you don't use any normal attacks to continue the stun, since after that the opponent will not be in the fatal stun anymore; in this case they can regularly hold which although is a risk, you can use to pursue even more damage or a hi counter throw set up. This however can be avoided if you use her 236P to "extend" the fatal stun since it freezes them in place.

There's other attacks you can use that involve the new :s: button, but don't cost meter:

:8::s:/:2::s:- This lets you avoid linear or non tracking attacks at the press of a button. You can use this to avoid specific attacks and punish the recovery with a throw, but be wary since sidesteps lose to throws and will result in a counter throw. If you have meter, you can use ¼ of it to follow up a step with a side step attack. If done in stages near walls with rope properties from a certain distance, it'll cause a +49 to +50 wall rebound stun that hurls the foe back towards you, at a major disadvantage. Be wary for fatal rush attacks since the first hit will turn the opponent backwards in a fatal stun, which can lead to some deadly back turned situations. The side step attack also has no tracking so your opponent can step you for it as well.

Another thing is a fatal rush: a string that puts the opponent in a fatal stun, and finishing it can lead to quick damage, but you can also stop part way through and make a custom combo using the fatal stun:

:s:- The first hit is the only one that can be done unless it hits. This is a 18i tracking high punch with 28i recovery. On hit, it'll result in a fatal stun which you can then follow with the other 3 attacks(the frames and the hit level don't really matter since only break holds can stop them and they can't be done unless the first strike hits). You can also use it in stun since the fatal stun eliminates the worry about opponents using normal holds and it'll force them to use their meter if they don't want to risk guaranteed damage. attacks with close hit properties will also have their close hit damage added on again in fatal stuns as well too!

When the full :s::s::s::s: string hits, it'll knock back and can wall splat. The string can also be used in juggles and after certain launchers as well if the height is high enough. If done on block, you'll be unsafe at -12, and be careful since the string can be ducked and low crushed. The string is also strong against side steps as it will cause a fatal stun that leaves them back turned and open to a guaranteed back turned set up. The string will also cause a special rope wall rebound stun that leaves you about +53 to +55 when done near walls with rope properties from a certain distance, leaving the foe at a major disadvantage. Stages like the Muscle, Sweat, and Colosseum have walls with these properties.

If you have a full meter and do the string, you'll automatically transition into your break blow, but if you wish to save your meter, do :s::s::s::4::s: so that you won't waste meter. DOA6 is a game where meter management is important, so be sure to save it and stock up for when you'll need it. Avoid wasting it on random sidestep attacks and nasty break blows and use it when the time's right and when it's absolutely necessary since sometimes your opponent will attempt to force you to discard it and bait reactions to make you waste it which is the last thing you want to do. Make every time you use the meter count!

Now that we've finished the rundown of the Break System and you better understand it, let's ease into her moveset!

Section 6: Kula's full moveset break down

-This section will be lengthy, but will cover Kula's entire move kit, from highs, mids, lows, and everything else! Throughout the explanations, I will go over every move's strengths, weaknesses, and frame data so pay special attention! This will be using the numerical input so please refer to that in the beginning of the guide if you need a reference! If a move has a ° before it, that's a move I personally feel is one of her best, and an ~ symbol means you can cancel into a special from it! With that in mind let's begin!^.^

*P- Her fastest strike, which is a 9i high jab! With low 19i recovery, it's a useful go to in situations where a quick follow up is needed, and can be useful vs slower characters and characters who also have a 9i strike as well! Safe on hit at -5 and on block at -6, and leaves you +1 on counter hit, and will also cause a +30 stun on hi counter or during critical stun set ups. Does not track and can be ducked and high crushed so be mindful using this!

*PP- Follows up her previous strike with an 8i twin high jab that has a 19i recovery. Jails on hit and block, meaning that the opponent will be unable to hold or avoid the second jab when the first hit, making it useful for tick throws(throwing when your opponent is defending still after a jail attack situation) and for also forcing them to deal with the other follow ups from this string! -7 on hit and -6 on block making it about semi safe but still vulnerable to faster throws and grapplers who often have a quick enough throw to punish safe strikes. If it hits by itself on counter hit, you'll be +3, but when both hits land, you'll be -7 which will likely make you opt to end the string with one of her enders. Hi counter stuns or using this in stuns will result in a +30 to +31 stun, but this does not track so be wary.

*PPP- Follows up with a 16i tracking high jab with 24i recovery, unsafe at -11 on both hit and block making more useful against sidestep and counter hit attempts, which will result in a +25 stun in those situations. Has good delay so this can be used to throw off foes although it can also be crushed since its a high so caution is advised. The attack is also possible to do as a standalone attack as 4P which I will explain later on into the guide! :-D

*PPPP- Ends the string with her 214P cancel attack, has identical frames and is virtually the same albeit with no close hit properties but is still lethal with its delay. Still very unsafe so be very careful when throwing this out... Useful as an easy launch juggle against the entire cast, and it also wallsplats.

*PPPK- Does her 214K jumping mid kick as a follow up, again like the above move its virtually the same as the original. Unsafe but tracks and is the only real tracking move from this string so keep it in mind!

*PPPKK- Same as the 214KK mid kick, safe but doesn't track. Useful as a juggle ender!

*PPPK2K- Same as 214K2K, however is unsafe and lacks tracking. Avoids highs and the low covers a good distance making it useful when moving in.

°PP6P~- Ends the string with a "One Inch" punch, which is essentially a 19i short range grabbing mid punch with 25i recovery. Causes a +4 stun on hit but is unsafe at -10 when blocked, and does not track. When used in stuns, it'll always cause a +19 stun, and to make it even better you're able to cancel into one of her four special moves from this as well too, allowing you to end the string with a safe ender, a low, freezing launcher, or a rising high crush uppercut making it have an extra edge! Does not track however, but the move can also be done as a standalone with 6P+K, although you're not able to cancel from it. A tradeoff however is that it's safe at -5, knocks back, causes a wall splat and does more damage, making this version also useful as well too as I'll further explain!

*PPK- Ends her string with a 15i mid kick with 25i recovery. Has good reach, and causes a +4 stun on normal hit and a +19 stun on counter hit or in stuns. If done against someone crouching, you'll cause a +16 stun, acting as a way to shut down crouch attempts in a string like her PP6P which does the same as well! Unsafe however at -8 to -9 depending on range, and is very easy to sidestep.

*PK- Ends the string with a 15i high kick with 26 frames of recovery. Easy to duck since its a high, but causes a +6 stun on normal hit, allowing you to have an offensive chance to strike. Both PK are guaranteed on counter hit, meaning both hits can't be avoided and you'll be left +6, and you'll score a +23 stun if the kick hits by itself or if the string is done in a stun set up. Unsafe at -9 on block however and does not track.

*PP2K- The same as the standalone low 3H+K from 214K2K, excellent reach and knocks down on normal hit but doesn't track and is still unsafe at -10 to -15 on block depending on distance, and it has tip range properties which can affect the damage. Useful as both a mix up or a way to move in from afar as it has good delay.

:kula:~Yawwwwnnnn: If used in juggles, it'll cause a useful ground pushback that allows for a no timing force tech set up if the opponent won't tech up, which forces them to either tech after the low or before two quick enough attacks that hit them on the ground force them up!

°6P- Her 11i mid with 24i recovery, has good mid close reach for a quick mid and has both a high, mid, and low follow up making it dangerous in stun. While it's -11 on hit and block, but it scores a nice +20 stun from counters and within stun. While it lacks tracking, this move is excellent for scoring counter hits when either close or just out of close range when playing the distance game, and it will beat crouches with a constant +17 stun when they try to crouch. Because of its swiftness and it's better than normal reach compared to other 9i strikers, I feel this is one of the better 11i mids in the game to use since she has a quick reliable way to get an easy counter stun at mid close range.

°6PP~- Continues the string with a 18i high upwards push with 26i recovery, causes a +23 stun on counter hit and in stuns! While it's unsafe at -11 on hit and -12 when blocked, it's one of her strings that can cancel into her specials, making it a useful way to mix up your opponents inside or outside stun. Does not track however and can be crouched. Noteworthy is that when the string is done vs a backturned foe, 6PP will be guaranteed as well as any special you cancel into!!

*6PK- Uses the same kick as PPK, just slower at 18i. Virtually the same frames and safety.

*6P2K- Ends the string with a low 24i sweep with 25i recovery. Somewhat telegraphed, but it avoids highs and tracks, and leaves you +9 from the stun on normal hit, letting you gain a turn to strike. The attack has decent reach and will cause a CH +11 trip stun against both sidesteps and against characters trying to strike you at a disadvantage, and it knocks down in stun. Unsafe at -15 on block so be mindful when using this...

If done in stages with slippery surfaces or water areas like the Road Rage stage, the low will cause a nasty +46 trip stun on counter hit! This will be a big opportunity to get some scary damage going so never miss the opportunity!

*4P- Same as the strike from PPP, just a standalone. Tracks but only becomes threatening in stun, counter hit, or against sidesteps which gives you a +25 stun, stop unsafe as well and able to be crouched.

:kula: ~MMM...BYE BYE!: If 4P is done against an opponent who is backturned, it'll cause a stun that guarantees the follow ups 4PP, 4PKK, and 4PK2K! Keep this in mind for quick easy damage when the opponent leaves themselves open from attacks that leave them back facing or after holds that evade their attack and put you behind them!

*4PP- Ends the string in the same Crow's Bite from PPPP, avoids highs but is still very unsafe and lacks tracking and the close hit properties of the standalone 214P.

*4PK- Same as PPPK, tracks and low launches on counter hit allowing a confirm into the mid or low kick follow up for either an ender or refloats. Unsafe but good reach almost on par with the standalone 214K!

*4PKK- Same as PPPKK, safe and soft wall splats. Useful as a juggle ender near walls.

*4PK2K- Same as PPPK2K, a low that knocks down but is unsafe and lacks tracking but has good reach. A useful refloat in juggles as the low causes a nice refloat without causing a wall splat!

°1P- A 16i low punch swat with 26i recovery. This is a useful attack as it tracks, and avoids highs all the while making it a good high crush and way to shut down side steps! On hit you're -4 which is a safe turn ender, but be careful when blocked as it'll put you at -10, leaving you open to low throw punishes. Against sidesteps and on any counter hit, you'll cause a small but useful +5 feet hit stun that puts you in a place to further pest the opponent with a quick follow up since its now you're turn to strike. If the opponent is backturned, doing this will cause a nasty cold +33 trip stun as the opponent scrambles to gain their footing back, leaving them wide to a whole maelstrom of punishment on your end!

If the low is performed in certain stages with slippery water areas or in stages like Road Rage where the full ground is coated in light ice snow, the attack will be a bit more dangerous, causing a +11 trip stun on counter hit that can't be really used for a combo unless the foe holds, but this gives you a further chance to lead the offensive with even more options!

Can also be used as a force tech on the ground, and two 1Ps in quick enough succession or having the second attack used being the 1P will cause the opponent to be forced up giving you a +18 advantage!

*2P- This is her 13i low punch with 20i recovery. It's a quick way to stop pressure at it crouches and has decent range, and is safe at -4 on block. On normal hit, it's not really a pressure move unless done against slower characters, since when done it'll leave you -1, making you a 10i striker with a 12i mid and a 14i low in that instance as far as punches go, and your kicks will be virtually a 14i high kick with a 15i mid and a 16i low kick in that moment since the -1 will add on one frame to your attacks in that moment, making it riskier to use against characters who are faster than you or about your same level. Counter hit causes a +5 low poke stun that pushes the foe back, giving you some breathing room as well as a chance to strike. If done against a backturned foe or if they're near a slippery surface on counter hit, the stun will be +9.

The attack can be used as a force tech, which is an attack that can be used to hit opponents on the ground who refuse to get up quickly or who are waiting you out. If two 2Ps are done in succession or if 2P was the second attack used from a FT attempt, it'll force the opponent up, giving you a +24 advantage to pressure them when they're forced back on their feet!

°8P- This is a 17i rising mid punch with 25i recovery. This is one of her attacks that causes an outright causes a critical stun on hit as you're given a lengthy +29i lift stun on any type of hit, allowing combo set ups. Has a variety of different mix ups as well too making it a useful free cancel in stun, and it can also double as a launcher when you're in a tight situation and need a quick launch at max stun threshold. Unsafe at -8 to -9 when blocked but it has both a safe ender, a cancel opp from its other mid ender, launcher, and a low that knocks down adding some further fuel to throw off opponents. Also has impressive delay which can throw off unwary opponent, but be aware it does not track. Launches point blank against opponents back facing you, allowing both a combo confirm into an easy juggle for damage or into a force tech situation using the low ender!

°8PP- Ends the string with 17i sharp mid elbow with 25i recovery. Like 8P, it causes an outright critical stun, leaving you +19, as well as backturned! It's also safe at -6 when guarded, but keep in mind it has no tracking.

:kula:~Yawwwwwnnnn....: Kula can quickly turn around after going backturned which is useful in stuns since you're still roughly about +13 if you quickly hold guard to turn around! Attacks as slow as 24i will be able to counter hit your opponent! Her P and 6P will also be useful as well too as they can continue a stun if you're opponent still isn't holding.

°8P6P~- Virtually the same as her One Inch punch from PP6P, allows a special cancel into one of her specials giving her a further mix up edge!

*8PK- Ends her string with a spinning high 20i kick with 26i recovery. This launches on any level of hit, although in stun and after a fatal rush stun(causes her best launch height) is when it's most useful, especially against heavier set foes. Unsafe at -12 but has beautiful delay, and it tracks which can quickly blow up opponents who foolishly try to step this stance anticipating its other's enders. Can be ducked however, but it also compensates with its surprising mid reach.

*8P2K- Throws in the same low from PP2K, virtually the same in terms of frames and everything else, but has a miniscule amount of better reach.

*3P- Her 14i mid ice stab punch with 24i recovery. This is her best mid punch lift stun giving +31 in stun or on counter hits. Does not track however and is unsafe on hit at -9 and -10 via block. If performed on someone back facing, it'll cause a +16 stun that can be comboed from, and it can also double as launcher if used twice in stun or near max stun threshold although the launch height isn't so useful against heavy weights. Best used in stun unless you're positive the opponent will try to strike with a slower attack or at a disadvantage that'll allow you to connect first.

*66P- This is her 20i running/forward dash mid punch attack with 23i recovery. Has good reach and is very functional as a keep out attack because of the reach and base damage. Also has close hit properties, and because of its quick recovery compared to 214P, it can be used near walls for a wall splat that allows a combo opportunity for good damage against the entire cast! Unfortunately however it's unsafe at -12 and is very easy to step if you use it from afar to run in on the foe. If done near walls with "rope" properties at a certain distance in stages like Sweat, Muscle, or Forbidden Fortune upper level, the move will cause a wall hit that causes a reel back stun that leaves you about +53!

°K- Her 13i high kick with 26i recovery, this has good mid close range reach allowing a stun from just out of throw range. It has the exact same properties as the kick from PK including safety, but as a standalone kick it's more dangerous as it has the follow ups it's PK counterpart lacks! Useful at a range although be wary that it's unsafe like PK.

°KK- Chains into a mid 18i kick of 25i recovery that's much like PPK and 6PK and has the same frames. Good reach and delay, but unsafe when free cancelled and lacks tracking.

°°KKK- Ends the string with a 23i jumping overhead mid kick with 29i recovery making it a bit unsafe to whiff. Avoids lows, and causes a +14 critical stun on any hit, allowing additional hits although the lower stun virtually limits it to P and 6P which can be easy to hold. Lacks tracking but covers a good distance and is safe at -5 when blocked. This is also her signature bound attack in DOA6, which is a move everyone has in their kit that causes a downwards ground bounce bound that lets you go for an easy close hit attack ender, however, Kula's is mainly only useful against lights and mids in her staple bound set up as heavy weights won't be able to be bounded. This is most useful when in open space just leading to a wall since her 66P and 214P which are her close hit attacks are quite difficult to 'close hit' trigger unless directly near a wall to cage the foe, and one must be wary that KK wallsplats..

*KK2K- Throws in the same low sweep from 6P2K, identical frames and stun. Tracks, and adds a deceptive mix up to the K string that can blow up sidesteps and open up foes who are standing guarding a bit too much for you. Unsafe.

°KP- Ends the string with a sharp high 23i jab with 22i recovery. On any type of hit and against sidesteps, it causes a nasty +36 blind stun that leaves the opponent open for a variety of different follow ups! Useful as a way to check foes who are thinking of stepping the K string, and it's -6 to -7 on block depending on distance, making it safe to semi safe at the worst. Can be crouched however and has short reach making it suited more for close range. Great delay and also can be used as refloat of sorts for certain juggles.

*4K- Kula performs a 24i back facing mid raise kick with 30i recovery. Causes a +24 to +25 lift stun depending on distance and leaves you backturned, able to either use a backturned strike or you can quickly turn around to use a forward strike if timed right! Unsafe at -14 to -15 however when blocked and you're vulnerable to being thrown if free cancelled unless you use the ender. Also does not track.

:kula: ~YAWWNNN....: Like Kula's 8PP which leaves her backturned, Kula can quickly turn around, which in this situation leaves her roughly about +18 since she'll be able to connect 16i attacks like 1P if she connects the 4K! A cold but useful mix up to have in mind at all times!

*4KK- Ends the string with a high jumping 24i kick with 29i recovery, her only ender from this string. If it connects, it'll knock back the opponent considerable feet, and will cause a wall splat near walls that can quickly lead to a painful combo when done! The attack also tracks and avoids lows, and if blocked the kick will GB, which will leave you +0, meaning it's your turn again to strike vs slower characters and you can quickly be a tricky pest against characters about your speed. Be cautious since the kick can be ducked to avoid the GB, and the jump can be hi countered since jumping strikes in the game will result in that counter level if struck while in the air. The string is also guaranteed against opponents who are backturned and it can't be held in this situation.

If done near walls with "rope" properties at a certain distance in stages like Sweat, Muscle, and Forbidden Fortune's upper level, the wall hit will cause a reel back stun that leaves you about +52!

°9K- Kula performs a 16i lift axe kick that only has 25i recovery. This is special to me since this is a mid kick that has good reach, and provides a +29 to +31 lift stun, which is even more deadly since the string has a low, blind stun high, a mid One Inch punch that has a cancel opp, and it also has a downwards mid kick as well to finish making her options varied. Can also double as a lower level launcher, but doesn't track and is -15 when blocked, but it's delay from all its enders more than makes up for it making it a staple mid kick for her kit.

:kula:~BYE BYE!: Just to simplify things, all of Kula's enders from 9K are guaranteed against back facing foes making this lethal against stances that leave them facing away from you!! Keep this in mind the remind the foe that Kula is scary!~

°9KP- Finishes with an upwards swiping high jab with 25i recovery frames. Causes a lengthy +34 to +35 blind stun making it a way to up the stun pressure, and it tracks making it a good way to break sidestep attempts. Is -6 to -7 when blocked depending on distance making it semi safe at the worst, but it can be crouched easily, especially considering the string has a low... If done against an opponent facing away, it'll cause a +24 stun.

°9K6P~- Uses her One Inch punch from her other strings like PP6P and 8P6P, virtually the same as them besides being slower at 23i. Can cancel from this string but it's -10 if free cancelled. As previously stated, this is guaranteed like her other 9K enders against back facing foes, INCLUDING her special cancels making this her most lethal option, especially near walls for wallsplats and in open for max damage combos!

*9KK- Ends her mid raise kick with a downwards 19i mid kick with 26i recovery. Always knocks down making lackluster, but it wallsplats and is also a true mid, meaning it'll hit opponents on the ground and in special stances, like Helena's infamous Bokuho stance which can also avoid mids that don't interact with the ground.

*9K2K- Ends the string with her low sit sweep from PP2K, 82K, and the standalone 3H+K, virtually the same frames and properties. Great range but doesn't track, unsafe and has tip range properties that can take away it's already mediocre damage.

°6K- This is a "leaping" 14i mid knee kick with 25i recovery, it has good reach and will give you a brief +4 stun on normal hit. On counter hit it'll cause a brief +12 which allows you to pressure with advantage or you can use P to combo into a stun set up but that's about the only option which can be linear, and if done on max range, you'll get +13 which allows you combo with P or 6P opening up another option. Doesn't track but is safe at -4 at max range and -5 up close making it a safe go to at about mid reach, and can also double as a refloat in various juggles.

*2K- Probably one of her more situational moves, this is a 15i low crouching poke with 28i recovery. Not very great on normal hit and counter as it'll leave you -1 to -2 depending on range, making its use as a poke below average considering she has better ones like 1P and 2P with better counter hit results, however it'll give you a brief +7 low loke stun on hi counter, making it useful for evading throw attempts, and it'll cause this same stun on slippery surfaces.

Where this attack shines most is against backturned opponents, since any level hit will cause a nasty +31 trip stun that makes the opponent scramble to regain their footing, leaving them wide open to a launch set up or you can be cold and play with them to extend the damage by initiating a stun set up with her various lift stuns. Can also be used as a way to force tech the opponent, and if done twice or if the attack is used as the second move before the opponent techs up themselves, you'll gain +16 advantage. Unsafe however at -9 when blocked.

*3K- Standalone version of her mid kick from PPK, 6PK, and KK, although it has the exact 15i start up as PPK. Virtually the same frames, has good reach and a useful keep out move but doesn't track and is unsafe at -9 when blocked.

°1K- Probably one of her best attacks she has when dealing with opponents her speed or who have a lot of pesky highs! This is a squatting crouch 16i mid kick with 23i recovery, and it has alot going for it; it's swift, scores a +6 on any type of hit, and it's considered crouching, meaning you can use it shatter opponents pressuring you with highs when at a disadvantage or just when they happen to be using a high or throw! It will get you a +17 stun when done towards opponents backturned, giving it combo utility.

The move is her best when wanting to pursue a force tech set up since when done in juggles, it forces the opponent into the no timing force tech pushback, and you can then begin poking them to force them up unless they either quickly tech up to avoid it. Unsafe at -13 however when blocked and it's able to be side stepped. Use mindfully.

*8K- Her 15i mid lift kick launcher with 27i recovery frames, launches the opponent on normal hit with a decent launch height, but it's launch will be better in stuns, or especially after a fatal stun. Not recommended near walls as it'll wallsplat in stun or counter hit, so only use this if a splat is what you're going for. Doesn't track, and also unsafe at -12 when blocked.

°66K- A 21i jumping mid kick attack with 26i recovery. Like her 66P, It can be done while running, and it has good reach, knocking back a good distance when it hits. It'll also wallsplat, allowing for a wall combo to be done. Can easily avoid lows, and is also useful against low wake up kicks, especially near walls. It's safe at -6 at max range and semi safe at -7 up close, but does not track. If done near walls with "rope" properties from a certain distance in stages like the Sweat, Muscle, or Forbidden Fortune upper level, it'll cause a wall hit reel back stun that leaves you about +55!

*P+K- One of her slower attacks, Kula performs a 22i mid punch palm ice thrust with 26i recovery. Causes a +18i stun on any level of hit, allowing for stun set ups. If done against an opponent facing away, it'll cause a limbo back fall stun that can't be held out of, guaranteeing just about anything you have to offer, making it particularly lethal when punishing moves that you evade when held correctly leaving them back facing. Will also cause a soft wall splat when done near walls, giving you +37 to +39 stun to work with depending on how close the move is done. Doesn't track however and is -11 when blocked.

*6P+K- Her One Inch 19i punch from PP6P, just a standalone version. This version is safe at -5 when blocked, and will knock back on hit, but at the cost of having no way to cancel into specials. It wallsplats however and is useful as a way to safely attempt to keep out opponents rushing in on you. Doesn't track. If done in stages near walls with "rope" properties like the Sweat, Muscle and Forbidden Fortune upper level, the knock back from a certain distance will cause a wall hit reel back stun that leaves you +56! Perfect for combo launcher and stun game set ups!

°3P+K~/- Her 17i dual mid punch lift ice attack with 32i recovery, this causes a +23 lift stun when it does land on normal hit, and will launch on any level of counter hit. Even tho it launches, the launch can't be used by itself since the lengthy recovery and low launch make it useless unless you cancel into her 214K special, using the mid kick ender to end the combo or using low slide kick to refloat them. As previously mentioned, this is a sort of static cancel attack since you can only cancel into one special, but this makes it more useful for the combo utility as well as a quick launch in stuns or on counter hit! Tracks as well, meaning it will shut down sidesteps allowing for an easy combo confirm if predicted correctly! However, it's horribly -15 when blocked and can NOT be cancelled from if blocked, making it purely unsafe with no way to be safe if it's blocked accordingly. Will also launch point when the opponent is backturned.

*H+K- The standalone version of 8PK as a launcher, identical frames. Tracks, and launches on counter hit and vs sidesteps, but able to be ducked and unsafe at -12 when blocked.

°6H+K- Her 22i jumping mid kick with 31i recovery, it does a jump kick that sends your opponent flying backwards on all hit levels! Useful as a quick running attack or a keep out move, the attack is +0 on block, meaning it's still fair game to attack again against slower characters and you can pester and annoy characters about your speed with it! Doesn't track, but wallsplats and avoids lows, but be wary of the recovery when whiffed and being vulnerable to hi counter damage if an opponent strikes you in the air.

If the move is done near "rope" walls from a certain distance in stages like Sweat, Muscle, and Forbidden Fortune on the upper level, the knock back will interact with the wall and cause reel back stun of about +52 which gives you alot of set up potential to work with! Also a useful piece of info is that an empty 9P jump after the knock back in this situation will leave you still +12!!

°2H+K- Standalone version of the low from 6P2K, tracks and good for quick advantage but unsafe at -15.

°3H+K- Standalone version of the low sit sweep from PP2K, 8P2K, etc. Good reach and a useful rush in or keep out move but unsafe and doesn't track.

*2K(Against opponents on the ground)- Kula performs a quick 18i low ground stomp to opponents on the floor with 30 recovery frames. Quick but the disadvantage can vary depending on how fast or slow the opponent techs up to evade it.

*8P+K(Against opponents on the grounf)- A slow 39i jump attack with very lengthy recovery, does more damage but has a very lengthy recovery that can be crouched and standing throw punished depending on how long the opponent waits during the recovery. Good reach.

~Back-Facing Strikes

*P- Her P jab is now 10i and recovers a frame faster. -2 on hit and block and somewhat better reach. +31 in stun or counter hit but no tracking.

*4P- A back turning 16i thrust attack with 23i recovery, causes a +21 stun but doesn't track and is -10 on block, as well as having poor range.

*2P- Same as the normal one, except now it tracks, is -4 on normal hit and causes a +15 poke stun on counter hit. -10 when blocked.

*K- Same as her normal K, just -7 on block and somewhat shorter reach.

*4K- Same as her 3K, just stuns better on normal hit with a +20 to +21 stun depending on distance. Slightly shorter reach but safer at -5 when blocked and -6 when up close near walls. No tracking.

*2K- Same as the sweeps from 6P2K and 2H+K, just one more recovery frame, and somewhat better reach.

°P+K~/- Same as her 3P+K. Can cancel into 214K on hit.

°H+K- Same as the ender from 4KK, just faster at 20i. +0 GB on block but can be crouched, tracks.

-And that concludes her moves breakdown! Always refer to this section when wishing to study moves and enders closer in detail, every info you can get counts! Now let's chill into her throws!~

Section 7: Kula's Throws Explanation

-Moving on from her moves, we will now talk her throws! As a striker, she does not have many throws on offer, and I do feel her throw game is amongst the weaker one ones being mediocre in damage, but her throws are very adept at environmental interaction in terms of walls. Even so throws are important in DOA6, as they will beat sidesteps with a counter added, and they also will come in handy when dealing with opponents who unsafe strikes, offensive holds or strikes with built in hold properties, and especially punishing reckless holds, so let's begin. Throw damage will be listed above the throw as well! ° symbol means the damage a throw will do when near a general wall although wall damage may vary depending on stage hazards, such as fire, electrical walls, etc.

~N:45(55°) C:56(66°) HC:67(77°)
:T:- Kula's fastest throw being 5i with 23 recovery frames, this causes her to grab the opponent towards her, giving them a sharp elbow to the head in the vein of 8PP that knocks back! Leaves you a good distance to fall back and zone and to avoid wake up kicks, and it interacts with walls for more damage. Quick, but can be broken by a well timed T throw break.

~N:50(60°) C:62(72°) HC:75(85°)
:6::T:- Her 7i throw with 24i recovery, she grabs her opponent before using a massive ice summon to freeze them in place, before breaking the ice to knock them back. Can interact with walls and leaves you a good distance in open space, however the opponent can tech up after the throw.

~N:56(66°) C:70(80°) HC:84(94°)~
:4::T:- Her 10i throw with 25i recovery. She leap frogs on her opponent to force them somewhat down as she leaps in the air summoning a massive ice ball before shattering it over their head, knocking them to the opposite side as she gains her footing on the other. Interacts with walls if you have your back to it, and it leaves you a good distance.

~N:62 C:77 HC:93~
:236::T:- Her 12i throw, or more notable her go to punish throw. She grabs her opponent's hand to force them down towards her before slicing through them with a massive ice stalagmite formation, switching sides. Doesn't interact with environments, but is useful as her go to punish throw versus missed standing holds.

~N:50(60°) C:62(72°) HC:75(85°)
:2::T:- Her low 5i throw with 22i recovery. She leaps on her opponent and dual knees them to knock them to the opposite side. Interacts with certain floors and also interacts with walls as well!

~N:60 C:74 HC:89~
:1::T:- Her 10i low throw with 25i recovery, she roughly pushes her opponent's chest forcing them to a sit down before summoning up a massive ice stalagmite formation to pierce them. Doesn't interact with the environment, but this is her best crouch punish throw to use when wanting to go for more raw damage.

~N:55(75°) C:68(88°) HC:82(102°)~
:T:(Vs. Opponent backturned)- Kula's neutral 5i throw against opponents facing away, she grabs their arm to twirl them around, disorienting them before delivering her 66K kick to them. Interacts with walls for more damage and can't be escaped, but the opponent can recover up quickly in open space.

~N:60(70°) C:74(84°) HC:89(99°)~
:6::T:(Vs. Opponent backturned)- Uses her 7i throw to punish backturned foes, and her 4T can be used to perform it as well. Interacts with walls but can be recovered from.

~N:60 C:74 HC:89~
:2::T:(Vs. Opponent backturned)- Uses her crouching 10i throw to punish crouching backturned. Can be recovered from.

~N:62 C:77 HC:93~
(While running):T:- Her 7i throw while running, she basically does the same thing as her 12i punish throw, only without pulling her foe down. A useful move to use when moving in and covers a good distance, but is very risky to whiff since you're gonna have a 37i recovery to wait out, leaving you vulnerable to a hi counter punish from a strike. Useful as a tracking option when moving in but be wary that it can be crouched.

-That covers all of Kula's throws! While Kula does have a weaker throw game compared to other characters, they're still useful as punishes, so never miss the chance to throw punish unsafe attacks, whiffs, offensive holds, and sidesteps as they're an easy way to gain some quick momentum and damage! Now if you're ready let's ease into her holds!

Section 8: Kula's Holds Explanation

-This section will cover Kula in regards to her holds! Like her throws, they're pretty bare bones, they're designed to get the job done with limited danger zone interaction but nothing to extravagant. She possesses no expert holds or parries of any sort, so her hold kit is pretty tame. All of her holds have 18 active frames and 12i recovery. Remember, don't recklessly hold unless you are either confident you can successfully read your opponent or you know what is coming since holds are very vulnerable to throws, and one wrong hold can cost you a good chunk of health via hi counter. Now, let's ease in!

:kula:~YAWWNNNN!: Remember, the better the timing of the hold, the more damage it'll cause, so if you know what is coming, sometimes it's best to wait for the attack to JUST about hit you before holding, since that'll result in more damage. A hold that's just thrown out will do normal damage, a better timed hold will do counter damage, and a hold that's executed JUST as the opponent will hit will do optimal max damage.

:7::h:(Vs. High Punch)- Kula counters her opponent's high punch, pushing them somewhat downwards before delivering a harsh cold elbow to their back which floors them. Interacts with floors but leaves you close to the opponent. Your opponent cannot tech up quickly from this, so you can get a free low ground attack 2K, 2K, 1P, or 2P to try to tech your opponent up for your trouble.

:7::h: (Vs. High Kick)- Kula intercepts her opponent's kick and slides from under them to trip them and change sides. Leaves you about a safe distance to retreat, although holding your spot will make you likely deal with a wake up kick situation. Interacts with floors.

:4::h:(Vs. Mid Punch)- Kula spins to deflect her foe's mid before using a One Inch punch to knock them back a considerable distance. Interacts with both walls and floors, but the opponent can quickly recover.

:4::h:(Vs. Jumping Mid Punch)- Kula stops her foe's jump strike and elbows them in the head with her ender from 8PP. Interacts will walls and floors but can be recovered from. Leaves you with a good distance from the foe.

:6::h:(Vs. Mid Kick)- Becoming like a doll, Kula stops her opponent's kick and performs three elegant Ray spins with the final one sending them backwards a decent distance. Interacts with both walls and floors but can be recovered from.

:6::h:(Vs. Jumping Mid Kick)- Kula intercepts her foe mid jump kick, and kicks them with the elegant mid high kick from her Ray Spin ender and her 8K launcher. Interacts with walls and floors, but can be recovered from and the distance is somewhat mid close range.

:1::h:(Vs. Low Punch)- Kula intercepts her opponent's low strike, forcing them to squat as she summons a ice boulder ball, holding it over her head before using it to smash her opponent head first into the ground as it shatters! Interacts with floors, but leaves you fairly close to the opponent.

:1::h: (Vs. Low kick)- Kula stops her foe's low kick, kicking their leg into a painful high raise before kicking them back. Interacts with walls and floors but can be recovered from. Distance is decent.

That covers her holds!! Now we'll ease into some beginner combos!!

Section 9: Kula's Cold Beginner Combos

-Thank you for reading this far, you're now ready for some Kula combos! To make it easier, I'll use general combos that work on all weight classes, but for certain combos I'll not later on if they're weight specific! For now I'll start with some core combos but as time goes on I'll update this section with new combos! Let's start:

°236P(Freeze launcher)>3P+K~214K2K(refloats)>6PP~214P ~62 Damage~

°H+K>PPPKK ~44 Damage~

°8K>6PP~214P ~45 Damage~

°(Near a wall)66P(Close hit)>3P+K~214K2K(refloats)>6PP~214P(wallsplats) ~96 Damage~

°4K>4P(BTed)>3P>S(fatal stun)>H+K>KKK(BOUNDS)>(Dash for close hit)66P(Close hit) ~94 Damage~

°(On counter hit)3K>KK>3P>236P(Freeze launcher)>9PK(refloats)>9K6P~214KK ~115 Damage~

°(On counter hit)H+K>KKK(BOUNDS)>(Dash for close hit)66P(Close hit) ~70 Damage~

°(Vs. Backturned Foe)2K>9PP>8PK>KKK(BOUNDS)>(Dash for close hit)66P(Close hit) ~75 damage~

°(Vs. sidestep attempt)S(Fatal stun+ forces them BTed)>P+K>7PK2K(refloats)>214P ~85 Damage~

°(Near Walls)KP>3P>3K(Soft wall splat)> walk upwards to quickly move behind foe>2K>3P>S(fatal stun)236P(freeze launcher)>9PK(refloats)>9K6P~214KK ~110 Damage~

-These combos should give you something to work with as they work on even heavy weights! I'll expand this section as time goes on but further experiment as lighter weights have far greater damage potential, including even danger zones!! Here's also a go to combo video I created that shows some other possiblites of what she can do:

-I hope these help you! Now to kinda further highlight some moves, here's 4 more final sections that address and highlight her offensive pressure moves, anti sidestep go tos, defensive tools, and her ranged tools for distance and zoning play!

Section 10: Kula's Offensive Pressure Tools

-For this section of the guide, we'll be highlighting specific moves from her kit that are useful for offensive pressure. Kula is a near pure offensive character who can easily set off her offensive, so here's some tools to get you going. Please note Kula is not a pure rush down character so she must be used mindfully to open her opponents up. Let's start:

°6H+K- One of her best tools when given ample advantage, this 22i mid kick avoids lows and leaves you +0, making it a useful way to throw off opponents quick to throw or strike back. Kula can also use this against fellow 9i high and 11i mid strikers as a way to get a reaction going, since it can go either way if both try to strike at the same time. It's also effective against slower characters as a safe and reliable way to keep them defending, in fear of getting counter hit. It's lack of tracking however is a trade off but it's pushback on hit and clean wallsplat near walls makes it good for damage output and resetting the distance.

°9PP- Her jumping mid punch that leaves her +1 on block, perfect for turning the situation in her favor since she becomes a virtual 8i/10i/12i striker in that instant, and 12i/13i/14i kicker referring to her P,6P,2P, and her K, 6K, and 2K, making it a risky choice for if her for wants to try to hit. This can keep the opponent on the offensive but it can be stepped and hi counter struck if the opponent hits you mid jump.

°2P- This move is useful since it functions like Kasumi's, while its 13i and leaves you -1, this doesn't affect her much against slower characters since she's a 10i/12i/14i punch striker and a 14i/15i/16i kick striker at that instant, meaning while her kicks become a risky choice, her punches can still contest slower characters. Useful as well as a way to reset pressure since it pushes back and leaves you +6.

*4KK/BTed H+K- Useful kicks since they leave her +0 and GB which can scare the opponent into defending. They also track and attempting to step her will result in a massive fling back and potential wall splat, as well as a mean amount of damage dealt. The only thing keeping these moves in check is the fact they're highs, so an opponent can feasibly crouch and throw you during the recovery.

°PP- While the move doesn't give exact advantage, it puts the opponent in a situation where they'll need to guess since the two punches jails, and the opponent must watch for a quick tick throw, a tracking high, a mid kick, a low, or even the dreaded One Inch punch that can confirm into a special cancel on block.

*4K- A useful way to mix up the foe since they'll have to anticipate the ender that leaves you +0 or if you'll free cancel and remain backturned. In stun this is scary since if you turn back around after the 4K lift stun, you'll still be roughly about +18, so even if you don't use the backturned follow ups to continue the stun, you're gonna be able to still combo with attacks as slow as 16i when you turn around, and if you don't you still have that meaty advantage to work with, making this useful as a sort of mix up blender. Only aim for on hit however since the 4K is unsafe when blocked.

-T-That should keep things chill... Now let's warm up with some of her anti-sidestep tools!

Section 11: Kula's Anti-Sidestep Tools

-This part of the guide will take a look at Kula's best standalone ways to check sidesteps on the fly, not counting slower in string tracking moves that aren't quick enough to check a sidestep on the fly. Since its a bigger part of DOA now that DOA6 has buffed it somewhat, you must be wary of the tools to blow them up and make your opponents fear even using it!~ Please note that tracking attacks will counter sidesteps and it'll cause the damage to be counter hit damage! Be aware that certain characters have ways to bypass the general sidestep game as some characters have special sidestep stances and or moves that have the sidestepping property, which can hinder specific moves in certain situations. Here's some of the most notable offenders:

:christie:~ Has her Jakeiho that can be used from moves as well as a standalone stance. Avoids linear attacks AND highs as well, making high tracking near useless against her. Her 7P can also avoid tracking high strikes as well too. This hurts Kula most since most of her best tracking moves are highs, and in string as well too. Kula can somewhat bandage this by using her tracking lows and her 214K ray spin but this forces her to play more unsafe than usual and a good Christie will thrive on this...

:hayate:~Has a special sidestep that avoids linear attacks, but doesn't do anything else special besides that besides having a mid follow up that can cause a stun that can be comboed on CH, but it's unsafe at -9 via block.

:marierose:~ Her minute stance avoids linear attacks and also evades tracking lows and has an unsafe but powerful close hit fling attack. Doesn't hurt Kula much since this allows her to properly capitalize off of her being airborne while jumping during her special step.

:helena:~ Has a special sidestep from her Bokuho stance that already avoids highs, and it has an unsafe -9 follow up that gives a +19 normal hit stun. She can also evade Kula's 2214K Ray Spin tracking jump attack which hurts her especially since she lacks true mids in general. This will force to utilize more tracking lows against Helena.

:rachel:~ Has a special spinning sidestep that can evade linear attacks but that's about it. Has a 43i launching mid punch and a crouching 38i low that leaves her +13 on hit, putting you in a situation where you'll have to guess to stop her. Her Ray Spin can however easily stop this stance and it's follow ups if correctly anticipated.

:bayman:~ Has a rolling sidestep stance that avoids linear attacks and tracking highs, and he can also confirm into a 35i offensive hold. Can be crouched however and low punished.

:kasumi:~ Has her 44P which avoids linear attacks on start up, but it can be shut down easily with quick combo attacks since its built to only avoid one attack at a time. Safe and causes a blind stun on successful hit but it's a high and can be crushed with Kula's tracking lows.

-Now let's go into her tracking tools:

°S- One of her best tools to use, this 18i strike will cause a fatal stun on hit that forces the opponent to turn around, leaving them open to a free guaranteed combo! Use P+K to cause a limbo stun to optimize the damage before a launch. It's a high however so it can be ducked and avoided with certain special sidestep stances like Christie's. Also unsafe at -13 when blocked.

°4P- A useful 16i attack to easily shatter steps, it'll cause a +25 stun that you can combo from, or you can confirm into launcher combo with 4PK2K or even just launch them with her rising Crow's bite 4PP which can wallsplat! Can be crouched however, and is -10 on normal hit and -11 when blocked, making it a risky tool although the follow ups can help.

°214K- Her 20i jump mid kick, has good reach and launches sidesteppers, allowing you to chain into a quick combo with 214K2K! Unsafe however and both the low ender and safe ender can be sidestepped on reaction since the string enders have no delay...

*H+K- Her 20i high kick launcher, launches a considerable height against steppers allowing for an easy damaging follow up combo. Unsafe however and can be ducked.

°2H+K- Her 24i low sweep, decent reach and gives you a +11 to +12 stun advantage depending on range, useful for getting momentum back in your favor! Punishable however and Marie rose can avoid this with her jumping sidestep stance.

°1P- Her 16i tracking low, useful for swatting sidesteps and putting you at +5. Unsafe however when blocked so you mindfully.

-That wraps up her go tos, while her tracking game outside of stuns leave somewhat to be desired, those listed attacks can prove helpful when needing to keep reckless steppers in check! Now we will glide into her defensive tools when going on the defensive.

Section 12: Kula's Defensive Tools

-We will now get into Kula's more defensive side. One thing to note is that Kula isnt a particularly defensive character, she's more offensive and range minded so while she is lacking more varied tools to defend, she does have some notable ones:

°1K- A go to when avoiding both high throws and defending against pesky highs, this 16i mid kick actually crouches/squats, allowing her to avoid all highs while gaining +6 on any hit, as well as some space due to the pushback. Especially effective against fellow 9i strikers! It's only weaknesses is its lack of tracking, and it's unsafe at -13 when blocked, and it's squatting state make it vulnerable to both high and low offensive holds.

°2P- A quick 13i move when you want to get the opponent off you pressure wise, leaving you -1 but being able to shut down strings easily. Effective against slower characters and can quickly turn the tide of battle on counter hit, leaving you +5. Also safe when blocked at -4 and has a pesky range.

*1P- Similar to to 2P, just slower at 16i but it also tracks, and leaves you -4, making it more effective when aiming for a counter, which will net you +5. Unsafe however.

*3H+K- Her ranged sit low sweep, useful both up close and afar. It's relatively swift for a sweep being 23i and it knocks down clean on it, although it's unsafe at -15 when blocked and able to he stepped.

°6H+K- Her 22i jumping mid kick, +0 on block and knocks back on hit, making it a good way to stuff and avoid lows when being pressured. It's slower speed hurts it a bit but it's neutral safety make it a good way to reset both fighters.

-T-That just about covers her defensive tools... Not too happy with the turn out? No worries, her RANGED tools are where she's really gonna shine!

Section 13: Kula's Cold Zoning and Ranged Tools

-Finally, the part of the guide I longed to post!!! This will cover Kula's near extensive array of ranged tools in the game. Being one of the best when it comes to sheer range and keep out, she has a plethora of different moves she can use to both move in on and keep out her foe, almost acting like an ice wall..!!! Without further ado, let's break the ice!

°236P- Her most infamous attack, her 19i ice breath! It acts as a launcher projectile, and even after its few nerfs, it still acts as a mid reach way to shut down opponents trying to rush you, and after successfully freezing them, you can then confirm into a damaging cancel combo to reset the gap! Does not track and is able to be evade held, leaving you vulnerable to back-facing punish setups, but this is usually uncommon since most still don't know how to properly counter the move, especially at max range. One of her most simple yet rewarding ways to keep rushers in check.

°3H+K/Similar lows from strings- Another annoyance, this is a long range sweep that always knocks down and covers an annoying amount of ground. It has tip range properties that hurt it's damage when playing a ranged game but this will deter people from crouching too much. Its also from several of her strings which can prove random when randomly using them on the screen. Be cautious as its able to be stepped and is also punishable.

°214K- Useful for many reasons; good reach, stuns on hit, and causes a launch for a combo confirm in stun or on counter hit, useful for melting attempts to move in, or as a way to move in. Has a safe ender and low but both are able to be stepped almost on reaction outside of stun making it risky outside of stun to use. Avoids lows as well. Both her enders also have good reach as well.

*3K- Unsafe on block but a quick 15i way to stuff approaching foes, giving you +4 on normal hit and causing a combo stun on counters. Has good reach and moves in but easy to step since it lacks tracking.

°6K- Her 14i mid kick, safe and covers a good distance, about R1F distance. Will give +4 on hit and a counter will give you about +11 stun at close range and +13 at tip, making it useful for either quick advantage or you can combo from it using P or even 6P at tip range. Doesn't track but a useful way to move in and stop advancing rushes.

*66K- 21i jumping kick, has good reach and is safe at max range and semi safe at -7 on block up close. While not exactly as good as other attacks, it knocks back resetting the space and allows you to fall back or move in. Also avoids lows early during the jump which can help crush pesky low pokes. Also wallsplats but is steppable.

*66P- Functions like her 66K kick, it's a frame faster and knocks back but is unsafe. To compensate however, it does have close hit properties, making it lethal in fatal stuns and near walls.

°6H+K- One of her most obnoxious ranged tools, it avoids lows and is +0 to +1 on block depending on distance! Can be used offensively or defensively when at an advantage, but don't abuse this as its somewhat slow and can be stepped.

°9PP/9PK- Both are good options, the mid punch gives you +1 on block and also causes a stun on hit, and 9PK tracks and causes a deeper stun as well as shattering side steps. Both options are useful when jumping in so the opponent will have to carefully react to it, as a crouch will cause a +19 stun from 9PP and a sidestep will result in a +26 one as the 9PKK tracks!

°6P- her 11i mid, this is more for mid close range, but it's reach is better than others like Kasumi's 6P making it adept at fishing for a counter a bit farther than usual. Has good reaching options like 6PP which can cancel into a special, has her 3K as her 6PK ender and she also has a low from this that can quickly blow up sidesteps!

°9K- Another useful tool for mid range, this 16i mid lift kick has good reach that allows it be used about R1F distance. Has a plethora of enders such as a tracking blind stun high that's semi safe, a low long range low trip, a mid punch that can be cancelled into special and has a mid kick ender that's unsafe at -9 and has short reach but is a true mid.

-That should cover just about everything for this section!! Now for the next section....

Section 14: Kula's Stun Starters

-This is an additional section added so you'll have an easier time being able to make out what Kula's stun starters are! Be aware tho that moves that cause a stun on normal hit but lead to a high launch or similar on counter hit i won't add since they're counter hit launchers. Here's a brief symbol summary of the types you'll see:

☆These are going to be for moves that stun on normal hit, being what I called true stun starters. Kula unfortunately is very lacking in moves that cause a deep enough stun to allow you to continue into a stun set up or launcher on normal hit, forcing her to rely more on getting counters with her moves that require a counter hit to get these deeper stuns. These moves generally are unsafe or slower but some have a follow up or ender that can be used to bandage the unsafe disadvantage if the string is finished.

○These are for stun starters that may cause a minor stun on normal hit but lead to a deeper stun on counter hit. Kula is rather lacking in this area. These attacks tend to generally be swifter but unsafe in most regards if they can crush or have reach.

●Attacks that do not stun whatsoever on normal hit and only stun on counter hits. Most of Kula's tools for stuns are generally leaning in this area since her style generally needs a counter hit to get these stuns going. She lacks in this area and the moves themselves are unsafe, but the ones that have follow ups tend to have safe ones to bandage this.

☆9K- Her fastest way to get a deep lift stun going, a 16i lifting axe mid kick. Has decent reach and causes a consistent +29 to +31 lift stun, giving her alot of options from it. Unsafe at -15 when blocked and lacks tracking, but this is one of her scarier moves since it has a mid kick ender that knocks down, a semi safe tracking swat that causes a nasty blind stun, a mid One Inch mid punch that can cancel into a special and she also has a low sweep to watch out for making this string one that requires wary eyes to successfully defend against.

☆8P- 17i mid lifting punch that causes a consistent +29 lift stun. Somewhat slower but has a deeper stun to compensate, but is linear and unsafe at -8 to -9 when correctly blocked. It's unsafety is able to be masked with its enders, either a mid elbow that's safe and leaves you backturned, a high kick launcher that has good delay but is unsafe, a low sweep or you can use her one inch 8P6P ender to go for a special cancel making the string generally loaded as far as options go.

☆214K- Her 20i jumping mid kick special Ray spin, tracks, causes a +15 stun on normal hit and will cause a low launch on counter hit or against sidestep attempts and similar conditions. Although the launch itself can't be used as a raw launcher per say, it's able to easily chain into her enders from the string, her 2K low for a refloat or her K ender that acts as an ender. The attack is unsafe at -11 when guarded, but the mid kick ender is safe allowing for an easy way to mask this, but both enders are able to be stepped making the enders virtually useless if the foe is prone to stepping. Her in string variants like 4PK and PPPK can be used virtually in the same manner, including when she special cancels into 214K from the moves that allow it.

☆P+K- 22i mid punch ice palm thrust, always causes a +18 stun on all hit levels making it consistent as a stun starter, but is linear to sidesteps and unsafe at -11. One of her weaker stun starters utility wise.

☆4K- Her 24i mid back faced lifting ice kick. Causes a consistent +24 to +25 lift stun depending on distance making it icy, especially since it's reach is relatively decent. Unsafe at -14 to -15 when guarded, which is especially risky since you'll be left backturned, open to strike punishes. Does have a jumping high kick ender that hits hard and knocks back, tracks, and leaves you +0 via guards but since this is a static string and her only ender, it can feasibly be crouched or high crushed.

☆9PP- Her 29i jumping mid punch, gives her a consistent +19 stun on hit at all times and covers decent range. However it's also quite slow and can be sidestepped or free stepped to evade it, as well as it being a risk since it leads to hi counter damage if you're interrupted. Can be used to apply minor block pressure as you're left +1, making it relatively a lower risk option when you have the advantage to force this into situations like post knockdown or if the foe likes to tech up right away. Useful low crush.

☆9PK- Her other jumping option, a 33i high angled kick, gives a constant +26 stun making it a deadlier jump option. Unsafe at -11 when guarded but it tracks which can easily catch foes who like to sidestep on a whim, but the attack is vulnerable to being high crushed itself and special sidesteps that can also evade highs make it near useless. Useful as a low crush although it being a high makes it risky.

○K- Her fastest minor stun starter, a blunt 13i high kick, gives you a minor +6 stun on normal hit and a counter will net you a +23 one. Unsafe at -9 and can be high crushed. Has a semi safe high follow up that causes a blind stun and tracks, or a mid kick follow up that has both a low tracking sweep ender or a jumping safe mid kick ender, giving you a bit of grace not wanting to risk a raw free cancel. Her string variant PK can be used in a similar manner but it lacks all of the enders.

○6K- Her lunging 14i mid knee, causes a minor +4 stun on hit, but counter hit will cause a +12 stun up close allowing a P to connect for a stun set up, but tip range nets you a +13 stun allowing P or 6P. More suited as a poke type of counter stun starter since there's no real risk if it doesn't get a counter, and it's safe at -4 to -5 depending on the range which is easy to gauge since the move has decent range to be used up close or at just out of close range. Lacks tracking.

○3K- Her standalone 15i mid ranged vault kick, causes a +4 pushback stun on normal hit but a successful counter from stuffing foe attacks will cause a deeper +19 stun. A good move to use against crouches or moves with crouching properties since it'll net you a +16 stun to work with, but is unsafe at -8 to -9 when guarded and lacks tracking. It's in string variants PPK and 6PK can be used in similar manners.

○1K- A unique attack, this is a backwards crouch drop type 16i mid kick. Always causes a consistent +6 pushback stun, which is very good since the move functions as a high crush. Besides the crush however, that's the main highlight since the move does not gain anything besides damage against counter hit. Unsafe at -13 and does not track meaning you'll have to use this very mindfully.

●6P- Her fastest counter hit suited mid, a 11i mid punch. -11 on block and normal hit but is able to give you a +20 stun when used to interrupt. Has better reach than most standard 11i mids making it good for mid close to close quarters use, and has decent enders; her 6PP which is a high and can also be used as an unsafe counter poke fish and it can be cancelled afterwards into one of her specials. She also has her 6PK which can be used to stuff sidesteps and she also has her 6P2K low sweep to also nail sidesteps and hit foes who are stand guarding a bit too much. 6P however lacks tracking but it's follow ups can easily help with that.

●3P- Mai's 14i sharp ice mid punch lift jab. Causes a +31 lift on counter hit, but is -9 on hit and -10 on block. Unsafe and lacking tracking, this is very risky to attempt in neutral and is more suited for stun set ups, but it can be a high reward stun if it does hit a foe trying to strike or crouching.

●4P- Her 16i turning high swat jab, this gives you a +25 stun on counter hit! Tracks as well making it a swift answer to sidesteps but is useless against characters who have special sidesteps that can also evade highs as well. Unsafe as well too at -11 but has a high damage 4PP crouching mid punch Crow's Bite uppercut that sends the foe flying(combo utility is impossible however due to the move's recovery), or her 4PK Ray spin tracking mid kick jump attack with both a safe mid kick ender or a low sweep. Her in string variant PPP is also able to be used in a similar manner! Be wary since 4P is vulnerable itself to high crushes.

Section 15: Final remarks, thanks, & future expansion

-While it's hard to say goodbye, I hope that this guide has helped you better understand Kula and her icy kit! Like any other guide, even when finished, characters are constantly changing and being further dug into so I'll update this guide as frequently as I can. And I may add on to various sections and moves from time to time to keep you informed on what's always possible with each one!

Thank you for reading, and feel free to @ me of any questions or explanations! As Kula would say, BYE BYE!~ :kula:

EG-mwApXYAI10bh

Fin.~

Last edited:
ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD