RISE UP! Street Fighter V on PS4 and PC

d3v

Old school (from LI Joe's stream).
xT0Gqo0tPlK7a5u34s.gif

Russian-chiropractic19

Standard Donor
i want to get excited for Juri and Urien but ive never been so bummed about DLC before. every single thing in this game is behind a dam paywall. and even when i spend 4 dollars on a premium costume i still have to get the colors separately. even the DLC stages cost money and most of them are literally recolors and honestly aren't great.

i looked into the season pass, yeah it gives you almost nothing besides the new characters despite costing half the game. i could have sworn season pass meant everything that season but not anymore apparently.

i was really optimistic about this new system but they're charging for everything now and i don't think im willing to pay.

Goarmagon

Standard Donor
Old school (from LI Joe's stream).
xT0Gqo0tPlK7a5u34s.gif
The only problem I have is that he doesn't yell "AAH CRUSH CRUSH CRUSH!!!" cant wait to get him in the lab to give him a test drive.
i want to get excited for Juri and Urien but ive never been so bummed about DLC before. every single thing in this game is behind a dam paywall. and even when i spend 4 dollars on a premium costume i still have to get the colors separately. even the DLC stages cost money and most of them are literally recolors and honestly aren't great.

i looked into the season pass, yeah it gives you almost nothing besides the new characters despite costing half the game. i could have sworn season pass meant everything that season but not anymore apparently.

i was really optimistic about this new system but they're charging for everything now and i don't think im willing to pay.

Stop being a pussy and support the community. Quit bitching and practice.

Chill, I'm being facetious

Argentus

Finally got to try Alex.

He doesnt have as much weight behind him as back in 3, but I'm sure if I ever got used to sfv id come to enjoy him. Since I don't like street fighter that's never gonna happen XD. His moves just don't have the priority they used to so I can't actually play him as a power character anymore. Gotta relearn him all over again.

Street fighter is the usual hassle for me, just a never ending struggle to get inputs to actually register rather than being able to focus on fighting the opponent.

d3v

You do realize that Alex actually pretty much plays like he did in 3S right. Oh wait, I forgot who I was talking to.

XZero264

FSD | Nichol
Premium Donor
The only real difference is his headbutt startup but it's incredibly satisfying when you land one.
Started learning to play stick. All I ne
really need to get used top is not hitting directional inputs and getting used to Alex parrying with it (I used a fight pad up until now for SF).

Goarmagon

Standard Donor
The only real difference is his headbutt startup but it's incredibly satisfying when you land one.
Started learning to play stick. All I really need to get used top is not hitting directional inputs and getting used to Alex parrying with it (I used a fight pad up until now for SF).
Just sit down and play a REAALLY long set then it will feel natural afterwards. as with anything if it hurts then stop(I actually had some paid when I was trying to learn guilty gear years ago.)

XZero264

FSD | Nichol
Premium Donor
I have an offline DOA group that goes between whatever fighting game we feel like playing and after playing on stick over the course of the weekend and our usual Tuesday meetups (we usually have a SF setup now) I've gotten a lot better with commands. Now the only commands I have issues with are quarter circle movements oddly enough.

Xernuht

I'm still working on getting consistent with DP's and confirming my target combos with Ken out of the lab. It's tricky, but I want to try and get myself doing it naturally before Juri drops.

Argentus

Started learning to play stick. All I ne
really need to get used top is not hitting directional inputs and getting used to Alex parrying with it (I used a fight pad up until now for SF).

Its the transition from 2d sprites to 3d models that makes everything handle totally different for me.

His headbutt and stomp feel way slower and are harder to hit with (old games they'd catch if you hit their general frame, but in this it seems to need to be directly in the center of the top of them for the stomp, for example).

That and the loss of certain bread and butter moves throws me off too.

His Sparta kick gets beat out a lot more than it used to as well.

XZero264

FSD | Nichol
Premium Donor
I'm not too happy with the height reach of his stomp because I've had moments where despite clearly being the in stomp's active area the damn move won't hit anyone unless they are either extremely close to or on the ground.

It's still taking time understanding how this game is supposed to be balanced. I just can't get over how Chun Li's options are almost all safe and Bison is + on Block for all but a couple of attacks but Alex is minus a lot on anything that isn't Light/Medium standing/crouching Punch, Air Stampeded EX, Headbutt (lol +3 even Ex'd) or a Guard Break V-Trigger. Even on hit his heavy normals are minus. I'm also not sure about how some specials have specific properties where others don't despite similarities to other cast members specials.
Alex's Stomp EX has projectile invincibility but his Headbutt and Air Knee Smash only get extra damage and stun on EX. The headbutt I can understand not getting anything because 300 Stun hurts but his AKS is a DP Kick with no extra properties beyond angle control. Why do other characters seem to get extra properties and damage/stun when it seems that Alex doesn't really get anything on EX. His only other properties he gets are armor on Slash Chop EX and a projectile hitbox on that and Flash Chop on normal and EX.
Is it because of his damage output? It can't be based on having similar damage to the rest of the cast. I'm starting to think it's because of his chip damage because that is pretty good on his specials but I don't know. I like playing 2D fighters for fun and SFV is the first I've played competitively but there are things about them that make absolutely no sense in terms of balance.

Argentus

I'm not too happy with the height reach of his stomp because I've had moments where despite clearly being the in stomp's active area the damn move won't hit anyone unless they are either extremely close to or on the ground.

It's still taking time understanding how this game is supposed to be balanced. I just can't get over how Chun Li's options are almost all safe and Bison is + on Block for all but a couple of attacks but Alex is minus a lot on anything that isn't Light/Medium standing/crouching Punch, Air Stampeded EX, Headbutt (lol +3 even Ex'd) or a Guard Break V-Trigger. Even on hit his heavy normals are minus. I'm also not sure about how some specials have specific properties where others don't despite similarities to other cast members specials.
Alex's Stomp EX has projectile invincibility but his Headbutt and Air Knee Smash only get extra damage and stun on EX. The headbutt I can understand not getting anything because 300 Stun hurts but his AKS is a DP Kick with no extra properties beyond angle control. Why do other characters seem to get extra properties and damage/stun when it seems that Alex doesn't really get anything on EX. His only other properties he gets are armor on Slash Chop EX and a projectile hitbox on that and Flash Chop on normal and EX.
Is it because of his damage output? It can't be based on having similar damage to the rest of the cast. I'm starting to think it's because of his chip damage because that is pretty good on his specials but I don't know. I like playing 2D fighters for fun and SFV is the first I've played competitively but there are things about them that make absolutely no sense in terms of balance.

Yeah that's the kind of stuff I mean. In 3S all his moves just went through everything like a freight train and hit just as hard but in 5....not so much. In general he's just a lot weaker because of nonsense like that. His old knee lift on ex would just snatch people out of anything even right off the ground for example. Headbutt almost never got beat out, arm slash hadore priority etc etc.

He's...much more unwieldy in 5

Goarmagon

Standard Donor
Shoutouts to capcom saying fuck you instead of fixing their game.

This guy on reddit sums up my feelings perfectly

Fuck Capcom. I gave them a chance, but they can fuck right back off. Enjoy the $60 you got out of me - you won't get another cent.

I mean, look at the bullshit they're pulling with Nostalgia Costumes. It's the same story. First, they give you something you don't want (colors behind a bullshit gamemode/ugly new costumers for beloved characters). Then, they wait for fan backlash (survival too hard!/Ibuki looks boring!). Then, they swoop in with bullshit story about how "they've listened to the fans!" and "have the solution!" but the solution is a fucking DLC pack to ring the fans for even more money.

I paid $60 for this game. I knew it was unfinished, I knew it was rushed, but I still bought it because it looked like Capcom had changed. Cross play. Simultaneous PC release. Most importantly, there wasn't going to be a SSFV. Characters could be bought by playing. I knew I'd have to pay if I wanted them all, but as a 1-3 character kind of guy, it seemed like a hell of a deal in comparison to the $120+ you'd have to had paid to keep up with every version of SFIV. And, it still is, but everything Capcom has done up until that point has proved to me that they haven't changed.

You want to know the real reason why I bought SFV? I bought it because Street Fighter has always been the fighting game "everyone plays". In a genre with so few players, you simply cannot afford to be playing a game that's dead on arrival. I play Guilty Gear Xrd -SIGN- PC with the same 20 people I see every time I hop online. It doesn't matter how much Xrd has proven to be a better fighting game than SFV - it's boring playing a dead game. I just wanted to play a fighting game that wasn't dead. Now, I hope SF dies as soon as possible.

And I think I'll get my wish. The reason why people play Street Fighter is because it's Street Fighter. It's the biggest traditional fighting game. However, I think that's about to change.

Last edited:
ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD