DOA5LR Should I be worried that i want to learn like half the roster in this game

JJpalmer

This seems to apply to every fighter i've been playin smash 4 and DOA lately tho i end up liking like half the roster and wanting to play them should i be worried lol. Just want to see others opinions on the subject

Last edited:

Intelligent Alpha

No! Apparently, dedicating yourself to one or two characters is a no-no. There's too much to take in for just one character! Hell, I don't know all there is about the one I main! But yes, use whomever you like; however, you'll end up in this meme:

"Pro be like: 'I got fifteen mains!'"

Squizzo

I know how you feel, I want to learn some more characters but I know that if I do I'll just get rusty with my mains and start getting inputs confused between characters. If you want to play competitively you really need to stick to 1 or 2 characters. The wise words of Bruce Lee seem fitting here:
"I fear not the man who has practised 10,000 kicks, I fear the man who has practised one kick 10,000 times"

The Enforcer

It's a double edged sword that you will have to ascertain for yourself at a competitive level. The advantages of learning very few characters means stronger focus on the minutia of technique and frame data, but at the expense of knowing match ups and windows of opportunity.

I personally prefer to learn everyone, but I still only compete with one (so far). However, I'm not a strong competitor given that my tournament loss ratio is much higher than my wins, but in one case I played someone one year, learned the character he used, and had decidedly improved performance the following year even though I still fought using the same character I had previously. I knew enough opposing techniques to learn how to hold better.

GreatDarkHero

This is frame advantage
Premium Donor
I am in the process of doing the same thing. And, even if I should not play the cast, I will know what expect if I fight certain characters at the very least. You can also keep your options open in this way.

Awesmic

Standard Donor
If you're not a god among humans born with skill at DOA like some people, then prepare for months and years of struggle if you're gonna learn half of them at an uber-competitive level. It's one thing to know about many characters, but it's another to apply them. Some people are gifted like that. If this isn't your calling, than a multitude of characters is not for you.

Me personally? I stuck to one character all this time feeling more than content with the game just learning new ways to play the character against a variety of different opponents, even when I had an understanding of the game's fundamentals and mechanics. But what kept me going is that I genuinely like the character and could relate to the character in one way or another.

I dunno how your mind thinks about certain characters, but when you find that something that drives you to want to play that character (or characters) for a while, stick to it and see where it gets you in a tournament.

I'm no expert, but I like to look at what successful people do. When I look at the results from EVO 2014 in almost every game the people in the top, whose names make the results on shoryuken, have one main character. (Or in a game that requires two characters, like TTT2, they have two).

http://shoryuken.com/2014/07/13/evo...argest-fighting-game-tournament-in-the-world/

Like Awesmic said, there are those very rare folks that can get good results with multiple characters, who work hard and have natural talent, but they are the rare exception, not the rule. If you're one of those, you'd probably know by now.

To put it into perspective, I have two particular PSN friends that are very much into NRS fighting games. They go to majors, they go to EVO every year, and they also have a single main. A different main for each, but they both subscribe to the one main philosophy. They pretty much play nothing but fighting games, and pretty much nothing but NRS fighting games, and between EVO 2013 and EVO 2014, they played pretty much nothing but Injustice. One of them was on virtually every day and I saw him playing Injustice 95% of the time, hours at a time, and MK9 the other 5%. Literally there is only one time I can remember that I saw him play a different game in the entire year. Every time too, all those days I saw him on it was always the same character, working that main, learning the stages, the match-ups, every nuance.

Both made Top 64, but neither made Top 32.

So hours a day, every day, playing the same character in the same game, and even Top 32 wasn't guaranteed. That's the level of competition you are dealing with in the FGC.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD