SkullGirls

d3v

i actually just came back to this game... kinda. i was working on some Parisoul combos last night
st.LP, st.MP, cr.HP (jump) j.LK, j.HP, j.HK (land) st.LK (restand), st.LK, st.MK, st.MK, cr.HP (jump) j.LP, j.LK, j.MP (land) forward dash for a cross-under reset.

Simplest reset option would be cr.HP (jump) j.LK, j.HP, j.HK (land) st.LK (restand),st.LK, st.MK, st.MK, st.HK xx sniper (QCF+PP).

Supersonic

ah cool thanks, one i remember working on was a corner combo:
cr.LK, cr.MK, cr.HP, (jump) j.LK, j.HP, j.HK (land), st.LK. st.LK, (hold back to charge), st.MK, st.MK, st.HP, st.HP, 6HP (uses the charge you had stored)..........

i dont remember the rest of the combo, but i remember it was like a 30+ hit thing

d3v

Here's something that DaRabidDuckie posted on the official SG forums that I believe should be shared everywhere there's talk of this game.

DaRabidDuckie said:
Okay, to all of you in the fighting game community who play Skullgirls, I have a bone to pick with you.

***READ THIS FIRST!!!***
-- If you have been to a tournament within the past month, or organize local gatherings or tournaments, this post is not for you.
-- If you enjoy Skullgirls just for the lore/art/story, this post is not for you.
-- If you cannot show up due to physical limitations or familial obligation, then this post is not for you.
-- If you do not live in the US, then this post is not for you (but do keep reading, as the thread has advice on how to build a scene that may help you. Just know this will be a long, long process).

This post IS for people who play Skullgirls competitively, and especially for those who complain about low tournament attendance or that people say that the game is "dead."

Still here? Carry on, then...

Texas Blowout?

Three months ago, I announced there would be a tournament for Skullgirls at Texas Showdown. Texas Showdown was the first major to host a Skullgirls tournament, and this was to be an important anniversary. There would be prizes for top 3 (ranging from posters and t-shirts), which the TO paid for out of his own pocket. This came about from months of what came down to begging the TO to hold the tournament. I assured him people would show up, because I had faith in you guys. UFGT8 had 96 entrants, so why not?

Four people showed up.

Two lived in the city where the tournament was held, one was me, and the other was Justin Wong. We can do better than that. This was a huge letdown, especially considering that the TO was willing to give us a chance. He paid money out of his own pocket to help this be successful. He provided setups, and gave us stream time, but we didn't show up. Sadly, he'll likely never hold another SG tournament. The fact that we raised so much to get into EVO and gave Lab Zero so much to get more characters actually makes us look worse when people can't even show up to tournaments for the game we're funding.

Hype Train: DERAILED

The fact is, is that if you play Skullgirls competitively -- you should be worried. You should be VERY worried. Attendance is poor. The FGC as a whole has declared the game as dead. The only way we can prove that it isn't is to show up. If we don't get at least 100 for UFGT, 100 for CEO, and at LEAST 200 for EVO (I'd like to see 300), then the game is dead. No amount of new content will save the game, short of a full sequel. Tournament organizers (TOs) in the future will not give the game a chance if these tournaments are a bust. I know this because I've discussed it with a lot of them. SG wasn't at Final Round because the TO flat out told me there wasn't a community for it. I'd be surprised if it happens at another Big E event that it's not already announced for.

See, I personally know and talk to nearly every TO for every major tournament in America, or at least have access to them. I've been reading the wind for the past several months. The game is dead in the tournament scene if we don't show up in DROVES for tournaments. I'm not being pessimistic. This is the truth based on conversations I've had with several of the largest tournaments in the US.

This isn't so much a call to arms as it is one last cry for help. If we can't pull this off, then we'll have to organize our own events like Smash does, begging for whatever scraps we get in the tournament scene. I really don't want to do that until SG2 comes out.

We can't stop the hype train. It can't fail here. We didn't get into EVO to turn ourselves into a massive joke. We didn't raise $825k for five dlc characters to ruin the game's credibility. This can't fail, and if it does -- it can't be our fault. It can't be because we didn't try.

Civil War was last weekend. They had a respectable turnout. 18 or 19, last I heard. That's not bad. We can do better. Final Round had sixteen people show up for a tournament that was unannounced and literally came together that day. That's not bad either, especially for something impromptu. We can still do better. If this game is to survive in the tournament community, we NEED to do better.

How do we get better? We have to show up to tournaments.

"But I don't wanna!"

First and foremost, we need to take a look at some of the reasons people aren't going to tournaments. When I got angry about Texas Showdown being a bust, I got on the IRC chat and asked people why. Here are some of the excuses that I frequently heard:

• "I don't have anywhere local to play."
I had this rule when I was in management: If you complain about something -- you just volunteered yourself to fix it. If you're complaining about not having anyone local to play, then congratulations -- you are now a local event organizer. Talk to Comic shops, game stores, LAN gaming centers. These people will commonly have one night a week that's slow. Tell them you'll help get traffic in the store if they'll let you do a fight night once/twice/four times a month. This works. Also check Universities.​
You don't have friends who play the game? If you don't, introduce the game to a friend. If there are local gatherings where they play stuff, show up with a setup for Skullgirls and sit down in training mode. Be nice to people. Smile (and make sure you take a goddamn bath). Encourage people to try it out. Be prepared to made fun of. Grin and bear it, and for God's sake -- DON'T TALK SHIT ABOUT OTHER GAMES. The fastest way to get someone to disregard your game is to talk shit about theirs. Lose the salt. If you have a friend sit down and play with you, get hype, but don't be insulting.​
Barring all that, there's probably something somewhere near you, unless you live in Montana, where you'll be dealing with this shit no matter where you play.​
Which brings me to the next complaint I hear...​
  • "Four or five hours is too far to drive."
I know one guy in the Melty Blood community who drove sixteen hours to get from South Mississippi to Philadelphia, PA to go to one tournament. That guy is awesome. We need more players in the SG community like him.​
If you live within ten hours of a major tournament, you should look into attending it.​
If you do not have a ride, try to find one. Finding a ride to a tournament is as easy as going to your local scene's Facebook page and saying "Hey, can someone give me a ride to (tournament)?" If there isn't a Facebook page for your local scene? Make one!​

• "Online is fine."
If it's your last resort, meaning you have no chances to ever play the game offline, then yes. It may be. However online is not local. Tournaments are local. They have an electricity in the air that you'll never get offline. People don't see you playing online. Online play does not increase community. Case in point: KoF13 has more turnout than Skullgirls, and its netcode is horrid.​

Note concerning Skullbats: Skullbats is wonderful. Keep up the good work with that. If you enter Skullbats, then good for you. Keep that up! Try to make it to a physical tournament, though.

• "I'm only 16. What can I do?"
Don't let age stop you! There's always something that can be done! When I was twelve, I held tournaments for SF2 in the front of a Wal-Mart lobby using the back of a receipt to run brackets. I WAS TWELVE. @keninblack helped tournament organizers run 3S tournaments when he was thirteen. The game's older than he is, yet he was huge in keeping that game alive in Virginia. Incidentally, he helped run SG at Civil War last weekend and did a damn fine job. Kudos to him.​
  • "I'll enter if it gets more than (x) people."
This part might offend some people. If you've ever said this, take your arcade stick, give it to someone else who will actually use it, and then give up ever being good at fighting games. There were four people who came up to me at Texas Showdown and told me this. I wanted to strangle every one of them, but I held my smile. If they'd have entered, we'd have had eight people. Still a joke, but at least it didn't get cancelled.​
Please don't ever say this. People saying this is what kills tournament attendance. It's a lazy excuse -- enter anyway. What's the worst that could happen? If the tournament doesn't make because of a lack of players, you'll just get your money back.​
When in doubt: ENTER ANYWAY.​
(and if you don't enter a tournament because JWong, ChrisG, Duckator, WingZero, AB Stone, or any other player entered and you don't want to lose your money, then please consider that you may be playing fighting games for the wrong reasons. Most people play them to get better at something, and you don't get better by ducking better players.)​
  • "I play on 360."
I understand this one, as I'm a 360 player. You should still show up, though. Try to get casuals in to knock the rust off. It's really best to just play the game anyway. If you have a friend with a PS3, play with them. The patch should be out anytime within the next two weeks anyway (as of 4/23), so don't worry! Soon, this won't be an issue!​
  • "But I have a job/family/responsibilities to attend to!"
This one is legitimate. A little time management helps here. If you have a job, you have time to get off to go to most majors. Most places are cool with you requesting off a month in advance. Most tournaments open pre-reg months in advance. If you have a family, plan it around a vacation! Make it a family event! I promise I won't hit on your wife (much)! If you have other responsibilities, ask for time off in advance. It never hurts to ask!​
  • "But I don't have a job, so I don't have any money!"
This one's legit, too. It all comes down to finding a way to make money that allows you to go to tournaments.​
I used to have an awesome job. I lost it, though. I still wanted to go to tournaments, so I found a way to make money at them. I started modding sticks. Now, I pretty much get to go to tournaments for free because it takes care of the costs. Now, I'm not encouraging you to take up stick modding. It's dangerous if you don't know what you're doing. I know what I'm doing and I still went blind in one eye because of it. Also, showing up to tournaments and expecting to make money is a bad idea, because you'll piss off TOs who want to be paid for you using their space. You still have options. If you're an artist -- sell art. If you do bead sprites, sell those. If you're good at the game, money match people (Note: Skullheart doesn't endorse gambling!). There are ways to make money, you just have to be creative.​
Tournaments can be expensive, yes. Ask for help! Someone may let you sleep on their hotel room floor for free, or at their house if they're local. Ask if anyone is driving through your area and offer to split gas (if they won't let you ride for free). If you're concerned about food costs, get some bread and some cold cuts (I do this one a lot!). If you play your cards right, a tournament can be as cheap as $100, with most being around $250 if you drive.​
  • "But I'm not very good."
I suck too. I know how much it sucks. Showing up to tournaments is the fastest and most reliable way to get better at a game, though. You just show up, get your ass kicked, and get better at a game just from seeing first-hand what other people do. That line from the Matrix about not knowing a person until you fight them? It's totally true. There's something amazing about actually being there that you'll never get from watching a stream.​
Going to tournaments also has an unexpected side effect: It gets you seriously on fire for the game, and makes you so hungry that you're wanting to play it all the time just so you win more.​
In short, you shouldn't be avoiding tournaments because you suck, you should be running TO them because you want to get better!​
Okay, I'm ready to help. What now?

The first step to getting this thing fixed is to step up, identify what's keeping you from tournaments, and then and learn how to defeat those excuses. If you need help, ask around. We can help! Getting this fixed helps us all, so we'll help you out!

In all seriousness, though, this is an uphill battle. The damage has been done, and we look like a joke to most of the community. I already chewed out the local Skullgirls Texas scene. They're getting their acts together, showing up for local gatherings, and even organizing smaller events at the local university. I myself have recruited four new players and organized a bi-monthly meetup at our local arcade. Soon we won't be part of the problem. Now it's your turn. Get out there. Get mad at the problem. Most importantly -- show up!

I'll try to make one of these a bit easier. If you would like to go to UFGT9 but do not have a ride (and live between Austin, TX and Chicago, IL), then tell me and I will pick you up on my way to Chicago. I have three spots in my car, and I'm leaving Thursday and coming back Monday. Please try to reserve this for people who want to go to UFGT9 but don't have a ride.

To the rest of you -- I'm giving you all homework. Go find one person who has never played it and help them through the tutorial. Ask them questions. Answer theirs. Don't just beat the hell out of them and make them wonder what they're doing wrong. Help them pick a character and show them some basic combos. Ask them questions about what they like to accomplish in a match and help them find a team. I think finding one person by the end of this week is a realistic goal. Now let's get out there and get attendance up!

Also, feel free to post your excuses to why you don't show up to tournaments, and we'll be more than happy to address them.

300 People For EVO? Can We Do It?

Civil War was a positive start! SG won't be at NCR (regrettably), but it won't hurt to show up and get loud over some casuals! UFGT9 and CEO need at least 100 entrants (which is doable!) and there had damn well better be 300 people showing up to EVO.

I don't think this is unreasonable, especially if you love the game. Do it for your game, and for your community. Hell, do it for yourself! We play one of the best games in the world, we just need to show up and show people that it is!

grap3fruitman

Standard Donor
Showing up to tournaments is the fastest and most reliable way to get better at a game, though. You just show up, get your ass kicked, and get better at a game just from seeing first-hand what other people do.
Disagree.

grap3fruitman

Standard Donor
Online vs offline had nothing to do with my statement. My point is that you don't learn anything at a tournament by losing. You would already have to be at a level where you could dissect your matches. Simply going to a tournament and losing doesn't teach you anything.

d3v

Online vs offline had nothing to do with my statement. My point is that you don't learn anything at a tournament by losing. You would already have to be at a level where you could dissect your matches. Simply going to a tournament and losing doesn't teach you anything.
You're right, we should all just sit at home practicing until we feel we are good enuogh.

/sarcasm

You know what, fuck that. That's exactly why you aren't getting the numbers you need. People are gonna need to step up anyhow, why not do it now.

And in any case, it's only in tournaments (and arcades) that you can experience one of the most important factors in competitive play - that sink or swim feeling where you know you need to perform or else you're knocked out. That kind of stress is something that all competitive players need to master and you can only do so by actually attending tournaments.

Last edited:

d3v

Valentine Kasumi alt palette.
iy2YzlUbw8lRj.png

http://skullgirls.com/forums/forums/index.php?threads/the-palettes-of-valentine.1419/

Awesmic

Standard Donor
You're right, we should all just sit at home practicing until we feel we are good enuogh.

/sarcasm

You know what, fuck that. That's exactly why you aren't getting the numbers you need. People are gonna need to step up anyhow, why not do it now.

And in any case, it's only in tournaments (and arcades) that yoi can experience one of the most important factors in competitive play - that sink or swim feeling where you know you need to perform or else you're knocked out. That kind of stress is something that all competitive players need to master and you can only do so by actually attending tournaments.
Sorry if I come off as nitpicking, but I feel this has to be said to tie up loose ends. Why didn't you mention local gatherings and ranbats and events of that nature? Should players not take the opportunity to attain a learning experience there (if the local competition is formidable and knowledgeable) to get them ready for tournaments?

d3v

Sorry if I come off as nitpicking, but I feel this has to be said to tie up loose ends. Why didn't you mention local gatherings and ranbats and events of that nature? Should players not take the opportunity to attain a learning experience there (if the local competition is formidable and knowledgeable) to get them ready for tournaments?
Those technically do count as tournaments. Unlesd, of course, you aren't running any sort of competition in them, which is a wasted opportunity.

CFW

Idk how to play this game just like how I don't know how to play street fighter but i love it

indieanimator

Yep, now's a good time to keep this topic going as it is a free game on PS+ I believe. Fukua is free, as is Big Band for a few more months.

I think it's time to finally support the indie company (Lab Zero?) for making a good 2D FG in the US. I did watch the story playthroughs on YT way back when & still have reservations about Parasoul's inverted cross, but otherwise, what's stopping me from getting it? ;)

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD