Slow escaping

Doug Nguyen

What are some good tips for getting out of combo throws and slow escaping stuns. I cant seem to do any of them. Is it the timing or do you just mash the buttons and joy stick?

Goro Hazuki

For slow escaping, when you get stunned, hold guard and rotate the stick as fast as you can. (I hold guard so if I escape the stun, I block the next strike).
For combo throws, timing is everything. Mashing gets you nowhere.

Have the training dummy do setups on you and try to escape them. Can't really think of other tips to be honest. Just practice practice practice.

NukNuks

Don't overdue the slow escaping. You can tell you are when your character is holding block and rapidly going from mid crouch to standing position. If you're still doing it when you've already escaped out the stun you may end up crouching and get caught up in another stun. The opponent is likely to keep attacking you after you slow escaped because they were trying to continue the stun you just escaped out of.

virtuaPAI

I am the reason why you are here!!!
Staff member
Administrator
I noticed that they revamped stagger escaping. Before I was able to escape with just holding down :h: while quickly tapping :4::6: and rapidly pressing :P:&:K:. Now it seems like you must hit all the directions to properly escape now.

CatzDaLegit

Tina Purist
Premium Donor
Yes it does!
What situations would you use it in? Can you think of any combo strings? Is back turn the only obvious one? Cuz you can't slow escape out of walls anymore, and now I feel that stuns are so locked in you can't really get out of them.

virtuaPAI

Staff member
Administrator
Depends on the situation. If you are in a sitdown stun, you would want to se to get up and block the next attack. All light stuns are struggable and can be followed up with a block or evade. These are best when your opponent is not playing the stun game and are hitting in short bursts.

Tones

Premium Donor
Why wouldn't you want to slow escape?

The more inputs the better. I just hold f and jiggle the stick, not really trying to hit any direction.

Awesome how you can see how good your slow escape is in training mode.

Batcommander

I . . . have never understood why this game needs slow escapes tbh. We already have enough defense in this game :confused:

virtuaPAI

Staff member
Administrator
Cause some people rather have a more safe option of getting out of stuns.

RhythmikDesigns

I've been working on my slow escaping but in actual matches doesn't seem to do anything for me most of the time. Some times I'm to shake it and block the next attack, but most time I'm either still getting stunned or I'm trying so have to slow escape I accidentally throw out a hold.

I just have to hit the lab and expand my match up experience, but I've also noticed that there are few stuns that are unshakable but holdable, so in real match that just throws me off even more.

Sora

I've been working on my slow escaping but in actual matches doesn't seem to do anything for me most of the time. Some times I'm to shake it and block the next attack, but most time I'm either still getting stunned or I'm trying so have to slow escape I accidentally throw out a hold.

I just have to hit the lab and expand my match up experience, but I've also noticed that there are few stuns that are unshakable but holdable, so in real match that just throws me off even more.

That, to me, is the beauty of this game. There is no 'one' defensive option and both offense and defense are constantly playing mindgames on each other.

And stagger escape matters a lot -- if you need proof, go to training mode using the character your opponent used and try out some of her his/stun strings. Set the AI to fast stagger escape, and you'll probably see a lot of his/her options cut out because stagger escape was used.

For Helena for example, if you implement any level of stagger escape after her sit down stun, I cannot land a CB after it. Sit downs being unholdable otherwise, that's huge.

PS. The three stuns I've seen that are un-SEable is the non CB version stun (screen doesn't shake but otherwise the same animation), the fainting one (falls face first while standing up) and the limbo one.

Which brings me to a new question... is there a standard notation for all of these stuns? =s

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD