Split DOA5 Community

Koss

I've been wondering - Since DOA5 will be coming out on 2 platforms, each with its individual online networks, which one do you think would have a more pronounced community?

On one hand, it is almost a give that every DOA fan has had an X360 at some point. On the other hand a lot of people have liked the Sigma series of Ninja Gaiden and have gotten a PS3.

Surely, most gamers do own both consoles and provided DOA5 runs identically on x360 and ps3 - which platform would you get it for and which platform do you think most people would go for? I would like to know how you guys feel about that.

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
I'll probably get it for X360 on my personal library, and PS3 for a local friend's library. I'll see if he gets into it. In the end, it all really comes down to what the tournament standard becomes. That remains to be seen via the finished title.

Raansu

I'm sure a lot of ppl will get it on the ps3 because of the crappy pad on the 360. But then there's the issue that seems to plague every fighter on the ps3 where there's an inherent 2 frame delay caused by the ps3.

Allan Paris

It won't or it shouldn't be a split community. When its tournament time anyone who travles or lives in the area will play on the designated system. I do believe the Xbox 360 will have the bigger online audience, I will have the PS3 version to learn how to play on that pad (hopefully my friend lets me mooch off his system from time to time).

I know I personally will only be hosting tournaments (online) for the Xbox 360 unless, I fold and buy a PS3. Though with that delay I don't think players will even be down for it on a PS3.

Dr. Teeth

Standard Donor
I'll be getting it for 360, since I don't own a PS3. Potentially stupid question: If fighters have a 2 frame delay on the PS3, why is it the tournament standard console for so many games?

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
Easier to manage in a tournament event. That includes system set up, system stability, controller 3rd party support, and controller syncing to name a few.

virtuaPAI

I am the reason why you are here!!!
Staff member
Administrator
The 360 version will more than likely be the tournament standard due to the majority of the community's investments in it. Also, I wouldn't fear a community split, because those who are playing on the Ps3 will be adding to the community base, not subtracting.

grap3fruitman

Standard Donor
Why would there be a tournament standard for a game with no offline tournament scene? You're worrying about nothing! =P

Assuming the game is good, I'll likely bite twice and buy it on both platforms. That's if the game turns out to be good.

virtuaPAI

I am the reason why you are here!!!
Staff member
Administrator
Why would there be a tournament standard for a game with no offline tournament scene? You're worrying about nothing! =P

Assuming the game is good, I'll likely bite twice and buy it on both platforms. That's if the game turns out to be good.
-Double dipping will be TN's reward for a job well done?

The HuBBs

I'm sure a lot of ppl will get it on the ps3 because of the crappy pad on the 360. But then there's the issue that seems to plague every fighter on the ps3 where there's an inherent 2 frame delay caused by the ps3.

Thats only been found in capcom games. VF5, T6, SC4 have no delay.

And I'm gonna get it for both systems. And atm I am starting to think that there may be a console switch for tournaments depending on the number of players for each console. So its a wait and see for now.

Rikuto

P-P-P-P-P-P-POWER!

And I'm gonna get it for both systems. And atm I am starting to think that there may be a console switch for tournaments depending on the number of players for each console. So its a wait and see for now.

I thought it was a system thing and it affected every game?

You sure it's just not that capcom gamers tend to bitch more since reactions are tighter?

Raansu

I'm pretty sure SC4 had some series issues with slow downs on the ps3. I can't say the same about TK6 or VF5 though.

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
No one played VF5 long enough to discover it as they all went to the 360 with Version D.

Rikuto

P-P-P-P-P-P-POWER!
I'm pretty sure SC4 had some series issues with slow downs on the ps3. I can't say the same about TK6 or VF5 though.

I actually had SC4 freeze on me for half a second during tournament play.

That game does not get along with the PS3 at all.

On the other hand, I had just launched someone with siegfried's 3B and was going for his followup, so it did look pretty cinematic.

Berzerk!

I'll have both 360 and PS3 versions, but like every other major fighting franchise, I expect the tournament base to be on 360. (Except for EVO, SF4 is run on 360 at every major I can think of.)

Especially a non issue if the game is more stick-friendly this time. That way, fighting tournaments that support multiple games don't need to have any setup changes to accomodate DOA5.

I'm sure there will be a lot of pad players for this due to its long recent history of being best played on pad, so I understand the PS3 factor there but I wouldn't expect that to be enough for people to switch. Like Tekken and Soul Calibur communities favouring PS3 out of familiarity of its core players, DOA5 will likely stick with 360 due to that.

If it gets traction and the community and tournament scene grows beyond that base, like SF4, it will be a case of being prepared to play on either system and majority tournaments providing for 360.

In short, it doesn't matter too much. Its good, more players.

R4712-VR88

No one played VF5 long enough to discover it as they all went to the 360 with Version D.

You mean Version C.

Also, y'all know if Mortal Kombat has a two frame delay on PS3? I've been playing in casual tournaments with my friends and have been mostly playing the game on PS3. So I didn't know. I have the game on X360. I body everyone anyway.

Koss

Anyway, what is this thing about the PS3 fighting games having 2 frame lag or something? I was thinking of getting a ps3 for the ng sigmas...

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD