Standard DOA5 button mapping on stick?

WAZAAAAA

Is there a standard/default/regular input mapping for DOA5 on a fight stick controller?

In other words, what's the ingame function of each number in this picture?
MK2JQlM.png

EDIT: since making this thread I ended up using my own custom layout for years that makes sense at least to me lol:
Code:
Dead or Alive 2 Limited Edition
H	P	K	FS
T	P+K	H+K	S

Dead or Alive 5-6
H	P	K	S
T	P+K	H+K	empty or AP

rest of the DOA's
H	P	K	S
T	P+K	H+K	empty
EXPLANATION:
- H->P->K are the main buttons, in order of "priority", and also positioned in the same row for easy pianoing (useful for pre-DOA6 instant unbufferable wake ups from hard knockdowns)
- Punch above, Strong Punch below
- Kick above, Strong Kick below
All positioned with "frequency" in mind:
- top row is more common bottom row is less common
- Hold as the most accessible button due its many functions: Blocking/Holding/FreeCancelling/FreeStepping
- S and AP are the rarest
- AP is the rarest of all and as such it's the "hardest to reach". It should only be mapped for characters that have a useful taunt (e.g. Zack/Tina/Nyotengu) so you don't do it by mistake
- similarly, S is the 2nd rarest and as such it's the 2nd hardest to reach

Last edited:

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
What about them?

Or are you asking what the Type A default controls get mapped to on an arcade stick? In which case it depends on the arcade stick you have and its default buttons. Some have the trigger buttons in different areas while others have even the face buttons in a different order.

Jyakotu

Standard Donor
Most people I know who play on stick use the VF layout, which is just P, K, H. And depending on where you place the button, imo, it would be easier to perform P+K and H+K moves. You might need to set an additional button for F+P (throw).

WAZAAAAA

What about them?

Or are you asking what the Type A default controls get mapped to on an arcade stick? In which case it depends on the arcade stick you have and its default buttons. Some have the trigger buttons in different areas while others have even the face buttons in a different order.
In DOA I've always played using all the combinations mapped at different buttons (by default). You have already explained P/K/H but what about:
P+K (strong punch)
H+K (strong kick)
H+P (throw)
H+P+K (tag)
(and there's probably a taunt one too I heard?)
All DOA games on PS2/PS3/Xbox/X360 controllers have a standard layout (for Xbox Y is always a punch, B always a kick etc.). To mention another game as example, in the Street Fighter series, an 8 button stick means 1 2 3 4 = LP MP HP PPP and 5 6 7 8 = LK MK HK KKK, so I was wondering if there exist such standard for fight sticks when they are used in DOA5?

Most people I know who play on stick use the VF layout, which is just P, K, H. And depending on where you place the button, imo, it would be easier to perform P+K and H+K moves. You might need to set an additional button for F+P (throw).
Sorry but I'm not familiar with VF

Last edited:

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
In DOA I've always played using all the combinations mapped at different buttons (by default). You have already explained P/K/H but what about:
P+K (strong punch)
H+K (strong kick)
H+P (throw)
H+P+K (taunt)
(and there's probably a Power Blow one too I heard?)
All DOA games on PS2/PS3/Xbox/X360 controllers have a standard layout (for Xbox Y is always a punch, B always a kick etc.). To mention another game as example, in the Street Fighter series, an 8 button stick means 1 2 3 4 = LP MP HP PPP and 5 6 7 8 = LK MK HK KKK, so I was wondering if there exist such standard for fight sticks when they are used in DOA5?

Sorry but I'm not familiar with VF

Yes, macros aren't a standard for arcade sticks. The idea is that you only have those three buttons H, P, and K. You can hit any combination of those buttons to hit your macros. Macros are created for controllers to give functionality to the excess buttons.

WAZAAAAA

So I Googled some DOA "official" sticks and found these

DOA2 Millennium:
ORsC1.jpg

DOA2:
118124210269.jpg

For DOA3
doa3sticktop.jpg

For DOA4
DOA-1.jpg

DOA5:
dead-or-alive-5-stick-arcade-hori-001_0903D4000000118292.jpg

I guess that the only macro that is "standard" is Throw at position 3

Anyway I'm going to use a custom one. Thank you all for your inputs (huehue a pun).

Last edited:
ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD